PDA

View Full Version : Poll Of The Week! Week Beginning 18/7/04

Chris 2.1
21st July 2004, 06:38 AM
Hey dudes, dudettes and Ozandrew!

Umm I decided, to help keep Writer's Lounge activity going strong, I/we, the FF community here at TPM, could have a weekly poll sharing ideas about Fanfic in general.

Ok, here's mine:

What Genre of Fanfics do you prefer to READ?

Remember, if anyone has an idea, post it! Next Poll will start on 25th July.

Andrew
21st July 2004, 06:51 AM
I like thriller as my favourite genre, something about Identity, The Ring, movies which have a GREAT twist in the tail at the end, keep my guessing, and I don't always get it.

Failing that, a trainer fic which is above par will do quite nicely.

Oh, and Hi, Brit Chris! :Wave:

Dragonfree
21st July 2004, 07:14 AM
I'll read anything that's not romance.

The Decapitated Mole
21st July 2004, 07:51 AM
Well, in case everyone didn't know by now, my favorite genre to read and/or write is Comedy, but I also like Dark quite a bit, too, so there you have it.

I dunno. It's in there somewhere, just keep looking.

o_0
jimm

DannyBoy
21st July 2004, 11:45 AM
I like trainer and dark type ficks but I wanna see more suspense/horror type fics. I like how they leave you guessing on who did what, who killed who, why they killed. Its fun and I love horror movies!

mr_pikachu
21st July 2004, 06:21 PM
I like quality trainer fics and romance fics, which is pretty much the opposite of what the majority likes. :P Call me weird, or call me unique. You'll be right either way. :lol:

Gavin Luper
21st July 2004, 11:22 PM
Personally, a trainer fic that is really good is just the trick for me, though a little bit of romance mixed into it is OK i guess. Of course, my favourite thing to read is a mystery/adventure/action sort of thing, like LTL, which is probably why I write it.

PancaKe
22nd July 2004, 02:31 AM
Hey dudes, dudettes and Ozandrew!

XD

Gotta love that.

Um... I like dark fics, cuz they're often full of twists n stuff like that. That's awesome.

Captain Pringle
22nd July 2004, 02:40 AM
I voted dark and fantasy... I thought about sticking trainer in there too, but I didn't. I'm really not a big fan of trainer fics anymore (yes, I know I'm writing one), and what I enjoy more now are stories with well-developed characters (which lend themselves to interesting character interaction) and good, original plots.

I agree with Mist that dark (and good fantasy) fics have the potential for a lot of really cool plot twists, which keeps things very interesting. Not to say that trainer fics can't have plot twists, cause the good ones do... but I'm just talking in general.

Cheers on the Poll of the Week idea, Brit Chris! ^_^

mistysakura
22nd July 2004, 06:59 AM
I don;'t really have a favourite genre; anything with cool plot twists and good character development, thoughts adn emotions etc. is good enough for me. (Sounds pretty hard, doesn't it?) Anyway, my least favourite genre's horror, and my favourite's dark/fantasy. Romance is alright too. Trainer fics are good if they're original, and all the stuff I said before. So yeah, basically I read anything.

Chris 2.1
22nd July 2004, 07:46 AM
Guess I'd better give MY two cents...*sigh*

I really enjoy Trainer Fics, but they are probably the easiest to write, simply because a plot is right infront of you:

1. Go to Professor Tree
2. Get a starter, or else a legendary
3. Get 8 badges easily
4. Catch OU Pokemon like Tyranitar in a Pokeball on Route 01
5. Go to the league
6. Beat everyone
7. Smile and wait for an inevitable, shoddy sequel

That is the formula most people follow on SPP and even at TPM, but Ozandrew's Electric Buggy To Victory and Captain Pringle's The Emerald League really restore my faith.

There's another thing I like, though...

I love a story with an unusual dark twist...where in the end, good doesn't prevail and evilness wins...heehee....

The Decapitated Mole
22nd July 2004, 12:54 PM
Hey, you stole my Prof. Tree bit! :p j/k...

I don't really like trainer fics. They're far too played out and typical for me to really get into. As far as I'm concerned, the only readable trainer fics are either [a: EBTV, b: TEL, or c: anything with comedy].

o_0
jimm

Iveechan
26th July 2004, 04:21 AM
The bad thing about most trainer fics is that they dwell into the relationships of humans but ignore the crucial human and Pokemon bond. Pokemon are almost always fighting drones.

Myself? I like action adventure. But anything that's well written and catches my eye (like a Hitmonchan popping up) I'll read. That's why I miss WFM's Jewel Eyes, a great adventure story with cool Pokemon.

Chris 2.1
26th July 2004, 03:36 PM
Iveechan: I'll try and include a Hitmonchan in my next fic, then! :P

I was inspired by other fics to try and incorporate Pokemon characters into my fics. In my upcoming fic, the idea of natures are involved slightly, meaning that a Pokemon is Jolly, the trainer catches a Timid one, and he manages to get an Adamant natured one on his hands.

I'll try and cycle through the natures and show how these change a Pokemon's character.

Dragonfree
29th July 2004, 05:11 PM
Heh, yeah, I did that too in the revised Quest for the Legends; I made the Pokédex show that Sandshrew had a Careful nature. I plan on involving them a bit more, too...

Speaking of The Quest for the Legends... Iveechan, were you partly thinking Fury when you wrote the "Hitmonchan popping up" bit?