PDA

View Full Version : Armaldo help

GirlRepellant
22nd July 2004, 01:27 PM
OK, a few questions on this pokemon. I've never used it, but it looks cool and seems pretty powerful (judging by Stephen in after the Elite 4).

1) Is it a good pokemon? It doesn't need to be great, just good enough for decent battles with friends.

2) How do you get HP Bug on it? Is there just a 1/17 chance of hitting on a Bug type Hidden Power? Is there anything I can do to up the chances? Or is it just determined at "birth"? Or does it happen when I grab the fossil? So many questions on that...

3) What's a good moveset? I'm thinking HP Bug, Ancient Power, Earthquake, ???. However, that's coming straight outta my ass.

Alright people, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Number1ChanseyFan
22nd July 2004, 02:45 PM
1. Yes, Armaldo is a pretty good Pokémon, it can be a really nice physical sweeper.

2. Hidden Power's type and power is determined by a Pokémon's IVs. (Individual Values) IVs also determine a Pokémon's personal maximum stats, they are set whenever you catch a Pokémon or get a Pokémon egg. In the case of Armaldo, its IVs will be set when you revive ithe Anorith from the fossil. The IVs will not be set when you actually get the fossil, just when you revive the Anorith. You will need to know your Pokémon's IVs in order to figure out Hidden Power. When your Pokémon is at Level 100, you will have to compare it's stats to the maximum stats for its species. IVs determine just how high a Pokémon's stats can be. If a Pokémon has an IV of 31 in a stat, and you put 252 EVs (effort values) into that stat, then that Pokémon's stat will equal the max stats for its species. IVs can be anywhere from 0-31. If a Pokémon has an IV of 0 in a stat, then if you put 252 EVs into that stat, your Pokémon's stat will be 31 less then the maximum for its species. If you don't put any EVs into a stat, then a Pokémon with an IV of 0, then its stat will be 94 less then the maximum for its species, and if it has an IV of 31 with 0 EVs in the stat, then its stat will be 63 points under the maximum for its species. So basically, IVs can contribute up to 31 stat points, and EVs can contribute up to 63 stat points. (Every 4 EVs will give you 1 more stat point at Level 100)

Another way of figuring out Hidden Power's type is just by battling other Pokémon, and seeing how effective the Hidden Power is against other types of Pokémon. It isn't quite that easy to figure out the base power though. Hidden Power can have a base power of anywhere from 30-70. Now, here is how you find out your Pokémon's Hidden Power. It is pretty complicated though.

Hidden Power Type = (A + B + C + D + E + F) * 15 / 63

Please note that * means "multiply by" and the / means to "divide by." The letters in this formula are just variables.

If IV of Hit Points is odd, then A = 1.
If IV of Attack is odd, then B = 2.
If IV of Defense is odd, then C = 4.
If IV of Speed is odd, then D = 8.
If IV of Special Attack is odd, then E = 16.
If IV of Special Defense is odd, then F = 32.

If you get an even number, then that particular variable will be zero. Here is an example of a Pokémon's EVs.

HP = 2
Attack = 7
Defense = 18
Speed = 20
Sp. Attack = 25
Sp. Defense = 31

After using these IV's, you get this.

HP Type = (0 + 2 + 0 + 0 + 16 + 32) * 15 / 63
HP Type = (50) * 15 / 63
HP Type = 750 / 63
HP Type = 11.90

If iyou get a decimal of .5 or higher, the value would be rounded up to the next number. Now, this Pokémon would have a 12 for the HP type. You have to convert this number using the chart below to figure out the Hidden Power type.

If HP Type = 0, then the type is Fighting.
If HP Type = 1, then the type is Flying.
If HP Type = 2, then the type is Poison.
If HP Type = 3, then the type is Ground.
If HP Type = 4, then the type is Rock.
If HP Type = 5, then the type is Bug.
If HP Type = 6, then the type is Ghost.
If HP Type = 7, then the type is Steel.
If HP Type = 8, then the type is Fire.
If HP Type = 9, then the type is Water.
If HP Type = 10, then the type is Grass.
If HP Type = 11, then the type is Electric
If HP Type = 12, then the type is Psychic.
If HP Type = 13, then the type is Ice.
If HP Type = 14, then the type is Dragon.
If HP Type = 15, then the type is Dark.

Now, here is how you figure out base power.

HP Power = (A + B + C + D + E + F) * 40 / 63 + 30

If IV of Hit Points divided by 4 has a remainder of 2 or 3, then A = 1.
If IV of Attack divided by 4 has a remainder of 2 or 3, then B = 2.
If IV of Defense divided by 4 has the remainder of 2 or 3, then C = 4.
If IV of Speed divided by 4 has the remainder of 2 or 3, then D = 8.
If IV of Special Attack divided by 4 has the remainder of 2 or 3, then E = 16.
If IV of Special Defense divided by 4 has the remainder of 2 or 3, then F = 32.

HP Power = (1 + 2 + 4 + 0 + 0 + 32) * 40 / 63 + 30
HP Power = (39) * 40 / 63 + 30
HP Power = 24.76 (which would be rounded up to 25) + 30
HP Power = 55

So, this sample Pokémon would have a Hidden Power that is of the Psychic type, with a base power of 55.

3. Now, for the Armaldo moveset!!

Armaldo

Adamant Personality, EVs: 252 Attack, 129 Defense, 129 Special Defense
Swords Dance
Rock Slide/AncientPower
HP Bug
Earthquake/Brick Break
@Leftovers.

In this moveset, you will need the FR/LG move tutor to get both Swords Dance and Rock Slide into the same moveset. Without FR/LG access, just stick with Ancient Power and Swords Dance.

GirlRepellant
22nd July 2004, 03:04 PM
Jesus Tapdancing Christ! That is far too complicated. Is it worth having without the HP Bug move? And how would I go about getting Swords Dance on there? Sorry, I'm not the die-hard pokemon player that you usually find on these boards. So really extensive breeding and EV splitting and all that are beyond me. Thanks, Chansey Fan!

Rudoku
22nd July 2004, 03:25 PM
Jesus Tapdancing Christ! That is far too complicated. Is it worth having without the HP Bug move?
If you have it, fine. If you have an good one without it, just throw Brick Break or Aerial Ace in it's place. It's not that important.

And how would I go about getting Swords Dance on there?
Crawdaunt.

GirlRepellant
22nd July 2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks Rudoko! One last annoying question: where can I catch a Corphish, and about what level are they at when you catch them?

Rudoku
22nd July 2004, 03:55 PM
In the city you fight your dad in(Touka?). Just fish in any pond.

EDIT:VVV Anything but Old (That may work too, but the others are better if you're just catching for breeding).

GirlRepellant
22nd July 2004, 04:04 PM
Any particular rod? (Sorry to be a bother)

P.S.: It's Petalburg, the city you fight your father in.

Chris 2.1
22nd July 2004, 05:14 PM
If you use the super rod, they'll be roughly level 30. Mine was 32, so I caught it, raised it a level and it evolved into Crawdaunt ^^

Ultimate Pikachu
22nd July 2004, 05:59 PM
To get Swords Dance, you breed a male Corphish/Crawdaunt with Swords Dance and a female Anorith/Armaldo. For Rock Slide, you breed Camerupt-Spheal-Corsola-Anorith. You can't get both without FR/LG.

Armaldo@Leftovers
Adamant
252 Attack, 129 Defense, 129 Special Defense
Swords Dance
Rock Slide
HP Bug
Return/Earthquake/Brick Break

You could have Ancient Power over Rock Slide and have Earthquake/Brick Break over HP Bug. Not as effective as the set above, but it works.

GirlRepellant
22nd July 2004, 06:10 PM
OK, how's this for not going through the whole HP process?
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Ancientpower
Brick Break / Aerial Ace

Eh? Eh?

EDIT: Removed Rock Tomb from the list on Poryhedron's advice.

Poryhedron
22nd July 2004, 06:45 PM
I highly discourage Rock Tomb. A move with only 80% accuracy (that's missing once every five uses) should be stronger than Rock Tomb is. I had it on my Aggron for a while, but I finally replaced it with Earthquake, even though I was costing myself a STAB move and Aggron's only SE-vs.-Flying move and even though Aggron already had Dig. Rock Tomb was that annoying.

Number1ChanseyFan
22nd July 2004, 09:11 PM
OK, how's this for not going through the whole HP process?
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Ancientpower
Brick Break / Aerial Ace

Your moveset looks really good to me. HP Bug is nice, but it can be a hassle to try and get a good Hidden Power in-game. Even if you get HP Bug, there is no guarantee that you are going to get a good base power for it. Your moveset will work fine!! Brick Break and Aerial Ace are both good choices for the last move. Brick Break is probably a little more commonly used on Armaldo.

Loupeitak
22nd July 2004, 10:15 PM
Or you can get rock blast instead of Rock Slide so u can kill those pesky substituters

Ultimate Pikachu
22nd July 2004, 11:08 PM
Consider Return.