PDA

View Full Version : The New Rule That Will Change the Game

Water Pokemon Master
23rd July 2004, 12:33 AM
The smartest thing that Nintendo has ever done has occured! A new rule has been added to the Pokemon TCG Compendium from Nintendo, and let's just say this will bring some more balance and power to the game.

The new rule is that effects done by trainers, attacks, energy, etc., will now not be affected by the no-evolution rule on the first turn. This means that you can now use Rare Candy to evolve Squirtle into Blastoise ex on the first turn! Imagine the possibilities! I could use Blastoise ex the first turn, use its power for 4 energy, and do 80 damage!

This will totally change and turn the game upside down. It will benefit Pokemon such as Blastoise ex since you can power it up immediantly.

Discuss.

jesschow12
23rd July 2004, 05:46 AM
yeah this ruling is like the old wotc days weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!

darktyranitar
23rd July 2004, 06:16 AM
Well, this rule is good to get out the Stage 2 cards out early.

So yeah, it's good.

Roarkiller
23rd July 2004, 10:53 AM
Could u link me to the thread, cuz this could be very beneficial to a lot of decks (like sceptile which can attack 1st turn). And i need to inform the guy who won 1st, cuz this should be able to allow him to power up and kill using his rayquaza 1st turn and turn the tide heavily in his favor, especially if its an EX pkmn with 100HP. If u dont get what i mean:

Attach lightning to ray
Evolve 2 blazikens
Juggler to discard 2 fire
Firestarter
Desert ruins
80 + 10
End of opp turn, KO, 2 prizes.

Yeah i guess rayquaza would be affected, but considering the benefits, this is one helluva big help. Tho the chances of this being able to happen is close to zero, lol.

Alec Trevelyan
23rd July 2004, 03:35 PM
hum, kinda weird, and now the game will be focused more on speed then ever... like:
active: torchic
bench: torchic + skitty
hand: fire x 2 , juggler and rare candy
discard 2 fire energy, draw 5 cards and there it goes... win the game or something like this. Obviously this hand should be almost impossible, but you got the idea... or same thing w/ blasty EX..
2 possibilities... or this will ruin the game... or things will get much better. i belive in the 2nd option ;)

Water Pokemon Master
23rd July 2004, 08:54 PM
Things will get better for some decks and things will get worse for others. Luckily, Blastoise ex will benefit off this the most because it is one of the few Pokemon that can be fully powered up on the first turn.

http://www.pokegym.net/showthread.php?t=8975&goto=newpost

Roarkiller
24th July 2004, 12:24 AM
Things will get better for some decks and things will get worse for others. Luckily, Blastoise ex will benefit off this the most because it is one of the few Pokemon that can be fully powered up on the first turn.

http://www.pokegym.net/showthread.php?t=8975&goto=newpost

I see the ppl there r complaining. Not that i care, my deck is resistant to water, lol. In any case, 1st turn sceptile works fine by me, and it wont be much of a defference from using roselia, only im doing 10 extra, and got double the HP.

But trust me, like some of the practicals say, it aint gonna make THAT big a difference. Maybe if ur lucky, yeah, but otherwise nothing to worry about.

And i dont see how 1st turn armaldo helps unless ur packing a lot of switch.

.hacker
24th July 2004, 12:44 AM
The Pokemon TCG was already rigged with the new ex cards, now it's even more rigged. The game was a lot more fun in the past.

Water Pokemon Master
24th July 2004, 09:08 AM
You're right, it was a lot more fun in the past. But now with all of these new cards in EX Hidden Legends and EX FireRed and LeafGreen, the game will be much more fun! I think the game lost some of its funness (is that even a word?) after the Neo sets, but now the game is starting to come back. The only thing I don't like about the game now is that it is a little too much luck-based.

Razola
24th July 2004, 10:48 AM
That's not balanced at all. The point of evolutions is the promise of power at the cost of speed and resources (have to give up cards for pre-evos). Cards like Rare Candy and Pokemon Breeder should cost a whle lot more.

The inherent problem with this game is that trainer cards are free for the most part. The resource system is solely for attacking, which leaves you a hole in terms of trainers.

If i were to make a card that let you skip an evo stage it would read:

Raz's Oil
Trainer (tool)
As and additional cost to play Raz's oil, remove a card in your hand from the game.

You may play a Stage Two non-EX evolution card on a basic pokemon as if you were evolving it. Attach Raz's Oil to that pokemon. That pokemon has -30 maximum HP and it's attacks do -10 damage.

Not really balanced in terms of numbers, but you get the idea.

Rudoku
25th July 2004, 12:41 AM
The Pokemon TCG was already rigged with the new ex cards, now it's even more rigged. The game was a lot more fun in the past.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this "new" rule basically part of what it was like in the past? And is Rare Candy that much better than Pokemon Breeder that it deserves so much whining?
Back in my day, a non-Rain Dance stage 2 deck would get you laughed at and assaulted by Scyther, Electabuzz, and Hitmonchan. What happened to that?

Roarkiller
26th July 2004, 06:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this "new" rule basically part of what it was like in the past? And is Rare Candy that much better than Pokemon Breeder that it deserves so much whining?
Back in my day, a non-Rain Dance stage 2 deck would get you laughed at and assaulted by Scyther, Electabuzz, and Hitmonchan. What happened to that?

U cant breed on 1st turn, cuz the text sez u can only evolve when ur allowed to anyway.

And my machamp deck assaulted haymakers juz fine. As does my friend's venustransfer and alakazam-mime combo.

But this would work even better in unlimited, especially pkmn like wiggly ex. Just attach a boost and go boom, 90 1st turn. Pluspower for toppings.

The Muffin Man
26th July 2004, 11:24 AM
My friend had a pretty deadly Alakazam/Gengar combo. It might seem kind of like too many, but they worked together perfectly, and since by turn 2 or 3 he usually had Kadabra and Haunter ready(usually Haunter up front), he constantly transferring damage to Tentacool(That's right. TENTACOOL) and running it back to his hand every turn past the fourth. A tourney winning deck had to keep his Mewtwo on the bench until it could attack, for fear of getting Confuse Ray'd or Dark Minded.

Blackjack Gabbiani
28th July 2004, 05:54 AM
Didn't the Giovanni trainer card let you first-turn evolve? And he was one of the more unpopular Leaders to play (I think Misty was tops around here, followed by Koga and Erika)

Roarkiller
28th July 2004, 06:11 AM
Lol, suddenly im tempted to play gym cards all over again. U know ive never played them before, and hardly any of the TR cards either.

And im thinking my half-life deck could be worth playing after all... a prize every 2 turns is sweet i tell u...