PDA

View Full Version : Will The Columbia Tragedy affect the space bit in RS?

Psyduck UK
2nd February 2003, 03:35 PM
in RS there is a sapce center and a rocket and stuff.
do u think NOA will edit this out or chagne it cos of whats happened with Columbia?

Strider Azure
2nd February 2003, 03:52 PM
No I don't think so, we still see a lot of instances where rocket are put in even after Challenger. There aren't any reason why they should. It's dumb to do that.

Scythemantis
2nd February 2003, 03:54 PM
No, that's ridiculous. We only saw cencorship over 9/11 because it was a HUGE tragedy that traumatized millions. The spaceship explosion was just an accident, and not that out of the ordinary. Worse things happen daily... this is only making headlines because space-related deaths are very rare.

...Of course, I'm not justifying the 9/11 cencorship. I think it was asinine to cut the WTC out of television/movies. Why try to erase something from history just because it was destroyed? That's like letting the terrorists win.

Onaicul
2nd February 2003, 04:13 PM
I doubt they'll edit out Space stuff in R/S. THe Columbia was 7 people, compared to 4000 in the Twin Towers alone on 9/11. Som censorship of the World trade center I can understand, like not letting you crash into the towers in a flight simulator that was still in production on 9/11, but I agree that censorship in movies is wrong.

Dark Sage
2nd February 2003, 04:31 PM
What happened to the Columbia was all NASA's fault.

If NASA had any brains, then years ago they would have spent their Research and Development money on designing and building a more advanced and better model of spacecraft, and then permanently retired the Space Shuttles to museums.

Think about it; the Shuttles have been working since 1981, for 21 years (except the Endeavor; its only been working for 17 years).

Airline companies aren't even allowed to keep normal commercial airplaines in service for that long!!!

The Space Shuttles had their time, but its time for them to retire and for NASA to come up with something better.

Now why don't we stop talking about it; if I dwell on it to much, I'll likely become more depressed than I already am.

- Venusaur

Dr_Omicron
2nd February 2003, 04:39 PM
Modifying the space center part of the game would be like banning Star Wars because there are deaths in space all the time in those movies.

Getting rid of the World Trade Center is sometimes really weird and unreasonable, but it's justified if something bad is happening to it or contains outdated information and stuf...I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'll give an example.

In Men in Black: the Animated Series, there was an episode where K had his memory erased by the "flashy thingy", as J calls it. Decades of K's memory is lost, and K says that NYC's tallest building is the Empire State Building, but J points to the World Trade Center and shows that it's taller. Scenes like these can be erased, if you understand me.

9/11 also caused the Simpsons Episode CABF12 New Kids on the Blecch to be temporarily banned from the networks, since Lt. Smash hijacked a submarine to destroy the Mad Magazine building (which, I believe, is in New York City). However, they edited it by adding a scene showing that the explosion didn't lay a scratch on the workers there, and it was back on the air.

Dark Sage
2nd February 2003, 05:01 PM
You want to know something truly ridiculous?

Before the movie "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" came out, some group of protesters mailed angry letters to the producers, demanding that the title be changed, saying that it would be insulting and trivializing the 9/11 tragedy.

I am not making this up.

Obviously these morons had no idea that the book that this movie was based on was written years before the World Trade Center was even built, and Tolkien could never have predicted the disaster, and that changing the title would be a blasphemy to the Father of Modern Fantasy.

Of course, changing the title of the movie was out of the question. The director and producer threw the first letters into the trash, and when all further letters from the group came, they destroyed them without even opening them.

I do not know how this group currently feels, nor do I know if anybody ever explained to them the facts of the matter. But it just goes to show you that some people sometimes are incredibly stupid about things that they chose to "stand up for."

- Venusaur

Onaicul
2nd February 2003, 05:28 PM
I do not know how this group currently feels, nor do I know if anybody ever explained to them the facts of the matter. But it just goes to show you that some people sometimes are incredibly stupid about things that they chose to "stand up for."

Ever heard the saying "the pot calling the kettle black" Venusaur?

To make this post not spam, I'll say again that this was a tragedy but they won't edit the part of R/S about space out.

Cyrus
2nd February 2003, 05:32 PM
With the game coming out next month, it is most likely to late to alter the game, without delaying the release of the games, the roms are being produced as you read this.

Dark Sage
2nd February 2003, 05:37 PM
Uhhh...

Ummm....

Errr...

Touche'

- Venusaur

Rei_Zero
2nd February 2003, 05:39 PM
I don't think NASA has enough funding to replace the ships because they also needed to fund all the other projects that are currently going on and because if the new ships were built they would cost at least 2 billion dollars (since that is how much the shuttles we have today cost). Also, if you really want to, blame the government for not giving as much funding to NASA (is that true cause I only heard this).

Scythemantis
2nd February 2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Omicron
they edited it by adding a scene showing that the explosion didn't lay a scratch on the workers there, and it was back on the air.

Too bad that's exactly the type of cencorship I find ludicrous and unneccessary.

NeoGligarGuy
2nd February 2003, 06:05 PM
I would have liked to see The Two Towers become The Two Very Tall Buildings. Yeah that Simpsons thing reminds me of the early dubs of DBZ. "Oh, I can see their parachutes!!" But seriously I don't think the government cares about space content on a pokemon game just because a space shuttle crashed.

The Muffin Man
2nd February 2003, 06:17 PM
For the record, some cencorship makes cence...erm...sense.

Like Spider-man. It's supposed to be set in the near future, or the present. It wouldn't be accurate if it still had the WTC.

Jukain
2nd February 2003, 06:52 PM
The Space Shuttle Columbia can be found in the Pewter City Museum in R/B/Y. I don't think they'll mess with Ru/Sa or the old ones. In fact, I find the fact that it's in R/B/Y to now be a nice tribute. If you have them, please visit.

CodeR3D
2nd February 2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Jukain
The Space Shuttle Columbia can be found in the Pewter City Museum in R/B/Y. I don't think they'll mess with Ru/Sa or the old ones. In fact, I find the fact that it's in R/B/Y to now be a nice tribute. If you have them, please visit.
truly sorry peeps my browser was going nuts and i acidently posted those
btw i see it!

Dark_rhyhorn
2nd February 2003, 09:23 PM
What space stuff are you talking about?

jao
3rd February 2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Onaicul
THe Columbia was 7 people, compared to 4000 in the Twin Towers alone on 9/11. .

I'm totally scared by such a words!!
people died on the colombia, no matter how many they were! families and friends remain! You can't say that it is less important!

besides, i agree that nintendo won't remove it, as it was an accident....

White Gryphon
3rd February 2003, 10:20 AM
Was cruising around and noticed this. I already have the image from the game in my sig.

I kinda thought that they'd have a museum in R/S since they also had a Safari Zone, but I didn't think they'd still have a SPACE exhibit.

Cobra X
3rd February 2003, 12:22 PM
LOL, White gryphon. Nice sig.

The Rusted One
3rd February 2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Venusaur
What happened to the Columbia was all NASA's fault.

If NASA had any brains, then years ago they would have spent their Research and Development money on designing and building a more advanced and better model of spacecraft, and then permanently retired the Space Shuttles to museums.

Think about it; the Shuttles have been working since 1981, for 21 years (except the Endeavor; its only been working for 17 years).

Airline companies aren't even allowed to keep normal commercial airplaines in service for that long!!!

The Space Shuttles had their time, but its time for them to retire and for NASA to come up with something better.

Now why don't we stop talking about it; if I dwell on it to much, I'll likely become more depressed than I already am.

- Venusaur

Oh yes, how lacking in intelligence they are. I mean, rocket scientists? Intelligent? Noooo, it makes no sense. Venusaur, you really should stop making broad sweeping statements like that when you aren't aware of the actual situation. Sure, NASA may have overlooked something that led to the crash - but then, I'd like to see you, O He Who Is Wisest Of All, do a better job.

Your point of how long the shuttles have been in service is a little redundant when compared to aeroplanes - aeroplanes are used very often, some almost constantly - and how many times have the shuttles been used? Pretty much not at all in comparison. And yet, apparently, the two can be compared fairly.