PDA

View Full Version : Whos the Daddy!

Ultimate Charizard
29th July 2004, 08:05 PM
Ok this is basically my Rant at the Media who simply do not know what they are talking about. If they did any sort of research they would see how wrong they are.

While reading todays Newspaper i read an article detailing the 'Latest Trend', as in video games. They Run through the 3 main consoles saying that the PS2 is the current 'Console Of Choice'. Now i dont so much disagree with this because at the moment it is true. What i dont agree with is what they said about the Gamecube.

"Though Nintendo are the Little Fish of the Games scene..(already read enough?) but because this machine is so cheap its great value for money. Ideal for kids to get into gaming on a Budget"

Ill admit as i said that Currently Gamecube is the '3rd placed machine' but to say that makes Nintendo the Little Fish in the industry is a Joke. The Simple fact is (and not trying to sound like a Fanboy) Without Nintendo Gaming as a whole would not be anywhere near the stage we have today. Nintendo have made pretty much every Major advancement in Controllers, from the D pad and Shoulder Buttons to Rumble Paks and Wireless Control.
Games as a whole would be nowhere near as involving or immersive and the handheld Market would be ruled by what? The Gamegear advanced.....which in all honesty wouldnt have existed had Sega not been trying to compete with the Gameboy.
The reason many companies today are now so good is because they were out to compete with Nintendo. They head to be good and they knew it.
The thing is, every now and then Nintendo still produce something that shows who the Daddy really is.

Which brings me on to the next point. How this same false image can influence opinion. In a magazine i read the Whats hot and whats not Column interested me. I wont bore u with all the details but basically. Top of the Whats Hot list = PSP "Sony's sexy new handheld game, mp3, movie machine. So hot its Smokin"
Bottom of the Whats Not List = Nintendo DS "Two Screens, one is a touch pad....One Question....why?"

Just needed to get that off my chest. I expect a few intelligent responses from the people who 'if u think about it' know im right, though any sensible arguments are welcomed. Though i know im gonna see "No Weyz....X-box is teh Roxors!!....or whatever the hell that Leet speak is.

Thy
29th July 2004, 08:20 PM
I can't stand people who are so anti-Nintendo because is not doing so great with the Gamecube. The fact is PS and XB wouldn't exist without Nintendo. Both Micro$oft and $ony wanted to make money, video games were getting profitable and bam, home consoles competing with Nintendo. Competion leads innovation and so new and better machines come out. Some people claim Survival of the Fittest and Nintendo's losing. It may be losing with the Gamecube, but the company is solely games. Both PS and XB sold well at first, but both are losing money while Nintendo is gaining. They know the buissiness and you can't call them botom of the barrel.

Gengachu
29th July 2004, 08:59 PM
Actually worldwide Nintendo is currently #2, but I guess most Americans don't look at the big picture.

And as for the rest, magazines and newspapers aren't a good source of information at all. Even gaming most gaming magazines are biased towards PS2. It's unfortunate, but most of the world is ignorant and thinks the PS2 is the best, when it's easily the worst of the current options.

Ultimate Charizard
29th July 2004, 09:04 PM
Actually worldwide Nintendo is currently #2, but I guess most Americans don't look at the big picture.

And another example of not knowin ur facts...im English. But like i said its not so much the current favourite list just that as usual people forget what has gone before and give all the praise to those who take advantage of past work.

PNT510
29th July 2004, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Charizard, I agree with most of what you said. Just because Nintendo is in 3rd place doesn't make it a small fish. Although on your controller thing, I don't think Nintendo invented it, they were the first to use analog controllers though. Although I don't really like the "If it wasn't for Nintendo than Playstation and Xbox wouldn't be around" Because if it wasn't for Pong than NES would have never been made.

Now of Thy's post.
I can't stand people who are so anti-Nintendo because is not doing so great with the Gamecube.
Yeah, I can't see why people would be Anti-Nintendo because they dont like Nintendo's current stuff!
The fact is PS and XB wouldn't exist without Nintendo.
So what?
Both Micro$oft and $ony wanted to make money,
And Nintendo hates money!!
video games were getting profitable and bam, home consoles competing with Nintendo.
So Nintedo was the first company to have a profitable home system now?
Competion leads innovation and so new and better machines come out. Some people claim Survival of the Fittest and Nintendo's losing. It may be losing with the Gamecube, but the company is solely games.
If the company is soley games than why does it have Gamecube and GBA? Why isn't it a 3rd party like SEGA?
Both PS and XB sold well at first,
I actually think Xbox's sales were sluggish at first
but both are losing money while Nintendo is gaining.
Sony isn't losing money, Sony has made tons of money off the Playsation and Playstation 2
They know the buissiness and you can't call them botom of the barrel.
I agree with you there.

Ultimate Charizard
29th July 2004, 09:31 PM
Fair enough i know what u mean with the Controller. The early machines had Joysticks etc but you wouldnt really call them Control Pads...Controllers yes, Pads no.
As far as i know the First D-pad appeared on the Game & Watch series and was then obviously developed onto the Nes, and every console since. Shoulder Buttons first came up on the Snes and N64 introduced Analogue Sticks, Rumble paks, Underside Triggers and memory card slots (in controllers). You could also include interconectivity between Console/Handheld.
And of course Gamecubes Wavebird was the first commercial Wireless Pad.

Nintendo have pretty much been the only innovators in Console control. Ie they didnt invent Touch screen technology, but theyre the first to use it in a console (DS)

Im not really including Eye toy and the new Motion detection systems as they arent standard controllers of the System. Eye toy is an add on that only works with certain games and the same applies for the numerous Skateboard/Fighting/Dance controllers on the Market. Also in this category might i add are Light Guns.....that first appeared on the Nes.

Razola
29th July 2004, 10:55 PM
Moral: Mainstream gaming media and just about all non-gaming media know jack.

Heald
30th July 2004, 07:32 AM
Look, there is no point arguing that the X-Box and the PS2 are worse than the Gamecube simply because 'nintendo was first therefore it ownz you all'. That proves nothing. That could be applied to civilization. The Americans are the most powerful nation today, created by a mix of France, Britain and Spain, who were all at some point ruled by the Roman Empire which was supposedly started by two twins that sucked a she-wolves nipple to live. Using your argument, I could equally say that these twins can pwn the USA simply because the USA would not exist without these twins.

Ludicrous.

Anyway, I agree with Raz, the general media should hire gaming gods like me to write their gaming articles simply because they have no f*cking clue what they are talking about.

As for Nintendo, they aren't a small fish but they are playing to a much smaller market than Sony and Microsoft, which is why Sony and Microsoft are considered to be doing much better.

Gengachu
30th July 2004, 08:03 AM
And another example of not knowin ur facts...im English. But like i said its not so much the current favourite list just that as usual people forget what has gone before and give all the praise to those who take advantage of past work.
How am I suppose to know where you're from if your location says "Wherever I am"?

Adz44
30th July 2004, 12:38 PM
That article just shows how ignorant the general media is about the world of video gaming. The GameCube is a "budget choice for kiddies"?! What a load of crap.

While I prefer the PS2 as a console, I think some of the games that Nintendo are pumping are great. They know exactly who to hire when it comes to their exclusive titles (Metroid Prime is a good example). Most of their games also have moments of pure genius in them (LoZ:TWW).

I'm more of a Sony person myself (the hardware, not so much their games), but I can't deny that they stole a lot of ideas from Nintendo. They added some of their own ideas as well, but still...

PNT510
30th July 2004, 02:27 PM
How am I suppose to know where you're from if your location says "Wherever I am"?
Well why are you just gonna assume he is from America? Alot of people at TPM come from Europe or Austrila.

Another example of stupid English people assuming any comment they don't agree with is from an American.

Ultimate Charizard
30th July 2004, 03:41 PM
Ok guys keep it Civil.

Heald, im not trying to say that Nintendo is the best at all. I understand that the other consoles are currently more popular etc, i myself spend more time on my PS2 than my Gamecube. The point i am making is that Nintendo have done so much for the industry and for them to be cast off as 'small fish' is a total insult.

Gengachu
30th July 2004, 04:08 PM
Why would I assume that he's American? It's an American website. If it had a co.uk address, I would think about it a little more, and besides that most of the people I've met on the internet are American, so if it's unclear I'll assume that you are, too. And honestly does it really matter where people are from? It just proves that British newspapers and magazines know just as little as American ones, and the same could probably be said about the ones from any country.