PDA

View Full Version : Poll of the week! Week beginning 1st Aug

Chris 2.1
30th July 2004, 06:17 AM
Yes, I know this Poll is set in the future....so expect lasers, explosions and space monkey's galore!!!!

What perspective do you write in?

I'm including ALL 3, because you CAN write in 2nd person, it's just too crazy. Like this:

"You go to the cupboard -

Do I? :-|

"-And then you open the door...."

I do?

Anyway you get my drift. Also, I added 4th person because August is in the future, and you never know what will happen in two days! *plays eerie music on tape player and does a ghost impression* oooooooohhhh...!

This post has gone on long enough. Run free, my hippies, run free.

The Decapitated Mole
30th July 2004, 07:15 AM
Well, I prefer to write in third person, but I'd rather read a story written in First. I guess that just makes me a bad person.

And I can't wait to see what the future will bring!

o_0
jimm

Gavin Luper
30th July 2004, 07:28 AM
I've always liked writing in third person much more than first or er ... second, which is dodgy. Third is far easier to describe things in, and it feels like the right pace for me. I just love it, I like reading third person stuff too, like Harry Potter, etc.

Although, first is good to read and not too bad to write. Tomorrow when the War Began rings a bell there ...

hmmm oh well. cheers!

Darien Shields
30th July 2004, 09:18 AM
I like to write in third with a heavy focus on one character (I find it hard to substitute feelings and stuff for in-depth analysis.)

I have been toying with a Pokemon Perspective recently, but I keep getting distracted. I posted it once before (but can't find the original copy anywhere), and it got a good response. It was about a Charmeleon that Team Rocket had captured, and made evolve into "Chartwo" (Charmeleon/Mewtwo hybrid.) It was quite fun too, because he had "teh ultimate powa!!!11!1one!1111" But I shouldn't be blabbing on about myself now...

Tainted
30th July 2004, 10:48 AM
I used to write everything in first person, but after trying third person-- it's just become a favorite of mine. Third person seems to work much better, as in first person it's hard to really develop any other characters other than the main characters. What I did like about first person was the constant thinking, it made it much more 'real,' so to speak.

I prefer to read in third person, reading something in first person just doesn't do it for me for some reason-- makes it too odd.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Chris 2.1
30th July 2004, 11:07 AM
Tainted: I used to agree with you, but with FP, you can have more than one character give a FP view thing, like if Harry Potter was First Person, and we wanted more character development for Hermione, we could write a first person part from her eyes as she sat in...I dunno, arithmancy, something we don't see Ron or Harry do.

mr_pikachu
30th July 2004, 11:28 AM
I'm a third person guy myself, but I like adding the characters thoughts periodically as well. That portion of it would be first person, I suppose. But the majority of my writing is in third person.

classy_cat18
30th July 2004, 11:29 AM
First person, to me, is the best perspective because it offers a perfect writing challenge. You can see what goes on in their head, and it also helps put you in the character's shoes and actually gives you opportunities for unsuspected twists. After all, you can't read others' minds.

Also, it's fun to look through different characters' eyes. I mean, that's why I liked the Animorphs book series so much.

Tainted
30th July 2004, 11:44 AM
Tainted: I used to agree with you, but with FP, you can have more than one character give a FP view thing, like if Harry Potter was First Person, and we wanted more character development for Hermione, we could write a first person part from her eyes as she sat in...I dunno, arithmancy, something we don't see Ron or Harry do.

But I don't agree with changing perspectives, really, I like to stick to one thing. Now-- if the story was in some sort of journal format, I suppose it would fit-- but fics that constantly change perspectives between characters look really sloppy in my opinion. I just like to stick to one thing, really.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Captain Pringle
31st July 2004, 06:50 AM
gogo Second Person!! :lol: j/k

Easy choice here for me... First Person. I dunno why, but from the moment I started writing Michael's Pokemon Journey, first person was just the most natural POV for me to tell the story from. And the same thing for The Emerald League, of course.

I guess I like it because it lets the reader totally inside the main character's head, showing the character's thought processes and decision making during battles, and so on.

I should've also checked Third Person, though I didn't for some reason... but for The Adventures of Firewood Ketchup and His Friends Cloudy and Sock, there really would've been no point to writing in First Person, since Firewood's brain is seemingly the size of a small Hello Kitty eraser (and probably not as intelligent as said eraser). So that fic had to be done Third Person, and I found that to be pretty comfortable too.

Haha, second person though... that's some whack stuff. Only books I've ever read that were in second person POV were a couple of those "Give Yourself Goosebumps" books that were like a choose-your-own-adventure type o' thing. =P Crazy stuff.

Chris 2.1
31st July 2004, 10:32 AM
The thing I love about 1st person is that you can incorporate your sense of humour into the character. I found that, while writing The Indigo Road, I changed it to FP later on and my readers definitely found it much funnier, and I found I could just reel off my own opinions and add funny little remarks in here and there.

SuperLedian
31st July 2004, 05:37 PM
Also, it's fun to look through different characters' eyes. I mean, that's why I liked the Animorphs book series so much.

Animorphs rocked!!!!!

And I like first person more. It is a nice challenge and great way to get to know your characters. multiple pov is fun =).

dratinihaunter13
31st July 2004, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by classy_cat18

Animorphs rocked!!!!!

And I like first person more. It is a nice challenge and great way to get to know your characters. multiple pov is fun =).

achooxp
31st July 2004, 05:55 PM
I prefer first person for shorts because it really allows you to economize the little space you have, but then again, you do lose out on multifaceted viewpoints somewhat. Therefore, for longer projects, I prefer third person.

Iveechan
31st July 2004, 08:08 PM
I've tried first person... it just doesn't feel natural to me. In real life, you don't narrate yourself. Then again, in real life, nobody narrates for you... you know what I mean! I dunno. With third person, you are not limited to just one character's feelings and perspective. Plus you are free to use "intelligent" words (boy, if I made "Guilty" first person, it'd be like reading a story written by a 4 year old). I also rarely enjoy reading first person. It just feels odd to me.

ChicRocketJames
1st August 2004, 10:16 AM
I prefer third person. You can get just as close to a character in third person as you do in first, but it's not as restrictive to the plot. With first person, the narrator has to be present for every part of the story, and they have to know everything that's going on. I like the readers to know some things that my main character doesn't, and vice versa. First person just seems lazy to me. It also poses too many questions ... maybe it's just me, but when I'm reading a fic in third person I can just accept the omniscient narrator, but when it's in first person I start asking "Why is this character talking to me? Are they writing this down like a journal or something? How is their recollection of every word and event so perfect?"

The only time I'd consider writing in first person is for a future fic idea I had, where the narrator is a psychic Pokemon who can see inside other characters' heads and tell what's going on even when she's not present. That sort of gives you the benefit of first and third person writing.

Second person ... just, no.

dratinihaunter13
1st August 2004, 07:22 PM
seems like a lot of people have first person issues :P

Andrew
1st August 2004, 07:26 PM
I love first person because I get in the Character's mindframe and its a lot easier than being a god like writer who controls barbie characters.

1st Person++