PDA

View Full Version : Adding more of a challenge to the game.

Master Kirby
3rd August 2004, 07:38 PM
I was thinking about ways to make playing Sapphire more challenging, and I got the idea of playing the game by a process of Type-Linking. It is similar to the Monotype Challenge in the RBY forums, but allows you to switch types.

This is how it would go:

1. Chose any starter.

2. In the Beginning:
a. Only use your starter
or
b. You may catch one wild pokemon in the first route (before the first town
or
c. You may catch any wild pokemon in the first route (before the first town)

3. As you progress, you may catch (or trade for) any pokemon, but they may only be used in battle if you already have access to a pokemon that has at least one of the same types.

4. When looking at what types you may use, you may consider the types of all stages of evolution of your current pokemon.

Examples:
You start the game with Torchic. This will allow you to use any pokemon that are Fire or Fighting type since Torchic's third stage is Fighting type.

Chosing 2a, (if you chose Torchic) you will have to use Torchic alone until you find any Fighting or Fire types to catch. Starting with Mudkip or Treeko would make more pokemon available earlier in the game, due to the abundance of Grass and Water types, making it easier to play starting only with your starter.

If you chose 2b or 2c, you could catch one or more Zigzagoon, Wurmple, Poochyena, ect. which would allow you to catch other Normal, Bug, or Dark Types.

If you wanted to use a dragon type, you would have to link to that type first by catching other pokemon. One pathway could be: Treeko(Grass)-Tropius(Grass/Flying)-Swablu(Normal/Flying) Swablu Evolves into a Dragon type, allowing you to use dragons.

What are some things you guys have done to make the game more challenging? Have you ever made any rules of your own to play by?

Poryhedron
3rd August 2004, 08:42 PM
Well, I've done the monotype and Single Fighter challenges several times with different types and different single fighters. That, for me, is enough to keep it fresh and challenging. How many types can you win the Monotype Challenge with? Each has its own tough spots...
Here's something else to consider, though. Deny yourself HMers. Go through the game with moves like Cut and Rock Smash on your main battlers.

Whisper in the Wind
3rd August 2004, 11:42 PM
rock smash and cut hinder main battlers but not enough

I like my duel type challenges where basically you go through the game with only 2 types *copys n pastes it, I done it on anothersite* which is easier than Mono type challenge *cos I cant be assed to waste 2 team slots on HM slaves*

The Duel Type Challenge

Inspired by the Mono challenge on SPP

Anyways, the Rules:

As soon as you have caught one Pokemon (of one of the duel types) you must get rid of your starter.

No Hacking or Trading for Pokemon (except for trading to evolve such as Alakazam and your Starter).

In game Trading is allowed (e.g Slakoth for Makuita, however you cannot use the Pokemon you trade for battles, same goes for the one you recieve unless he is of one of the duel types.)

You may not have any other type of Pokemon aside from ONE HM Slave.

That HM slave may not be used in battle. Infact, if you do end up having to use it in battle, you must revive another Pokemon and let it die.

If there is Pokemon that evolves into a Pokemon of one of the optional types, you may use it, as long as you evolve it at your first chance.

The challenge is considered complete once you have captured/killed Rayquaza/Mewtwo.

The following Types are selectable (And not interchangable):

1. Fight and Flying
2. Steel and Water
3. Electric and Fire
4. Grass and Ice
5. Normal and Ghost
6. Bug and Psychic
7. Poison and Ground
8. Dragon and Dark
9. Rock and Poison

You must have at least 1 of these types by the time you reach Mauville (I checked, there is at least one Pokemon of each type available by that point). You may NOT use any of the following Pokemon (Regice/rock/steel, Latias/os, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Mewtwo, Entie, Raikou, Suicine, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Deoxys, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi) to complete the challenge.

Anyway, sign up here and post your progress when you feel it necessary (e.g after every defeated gym leader).

Tradable Starters.

At the beginning of the game you may trade your starter *and it MUST be your starter* for an egg (must be an egg so that it doesn't gain exp faster) that will hatch into a Pokemon of one of the duel types. However, the Pokemon from the egg MUST be available without trading/hacking in your game version.

Kari and Mewtwo
4th August 2004, 12:06 AM
Just to make the game more challenging (and grant access to the older pokemon), I hacked a Sapphire Rom and changed it around. I have it as a patch, so all you really need is an unedited Sapphire Rom (I'm not giving any links since its against the rules), and a patch utility. After all thats done with, give me a pm and I'll send the patch. Just to clarify it once more, I'm not supplying people with ROMs, I'm simply going to give the patch. You'll have to find the Rom on your own.

Just to give you all an idea as to what you're up against in this Sapphire edit:

1.) Beware of Flannery's new Houndoom. Ph33r it I say!
2.) Norman has a curselax
3.) Tate & Liza use Latios & Latias instead of their usual combo.
4.) When facing Wallace, keep in mind that CALM MIND SUICUNE HAS NO WEAK!!
5.) Elite 4 is tough.. HELLUVA TOUGH. Ranging from levels 65-92

Music Dragon
4th August 2004, 09:41 AM
1. Fight and Flying
2. Steel and Water
3. Electric and Fire
4. Grass and Ice
5. Normal and Ghost
6. Bug and Psychic
7. Poison and Ground
8. Dragon :no: and Dark
9. Rock and Poison

You must have at least 1 of these types by the time you reach Mauville (I checked, there is at least one Pokemon of each type available by that point). There is no Dragon type available before Mauville.

Poryhedron
4th August 2004, 01:04 PM
There's no Ice-type that early, either...

Kari and Mewtwo
4th August 2004, 11:23 PM
I still say that my idea is perhaps the most challenging way. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to tell me.

EDIT: Just because I wanted to make Wattson as much as a pain in the ass as possible, I removed Mudkip as one of the starters and replaced it with Totodile. No Mud Shot for j00 :P