PDA

View Full Version : The Pokemon of the Forest

Deoxys Ribonuke
5th August 2004, 07:56 PM
Okay, I need OPINIONS on stories for this one. It's my third one and I'm not finished with it yet.

------------

The sun slowly ascended up from the horizon, signaling the start of a new day for the Pokemon world. Eventually, Furrets and Snubbulls awakened, swelling with happiness, frolicking through the wildflowers that blanketed the gentle rolling hills of the forest meadow. A bird’s eyes fluttered open. Perched on a tree at the edge of the forest, the bird stretched its wings and began to sing a morning song. An odd looking Pokemon, lying on a rock a few trees over, cracked its reptilian eye open, groaned, and sat up on its haunches.

“ Shut up you worthless piece of crap!” It yelled, carefully aiming, and breathing fire at the bird. After giving a startled caw, it settled down and glared at the dragon below.

“ Why must you burn me EVERY morning, Camille?” The bird said.

“ Why must you crow EVERY morning, Fearow?” Camille replied.

“ I’m not a Fearow!” The bird exclaimed. “ I’m a Cybird! An android bird that looks like a combination between Celebi, Combusken, Swellow, Taillow, Wingull and Articuno!”

Camille was clearly confused.

“ And I have a name you know.” The bird added.

“ Then what the heck is it?”

“ Marin.”

“ GooooollY..!” Camille said. Then all was silent, except for different birds chirping in the background. During the lull, Camille began noticing unnoticed features on Marin’s body. Marin was all gold and pink, had the eyes and antennae of a Celebi, the head shape and feather tuft of Combusken, the neck of a Swellow, the body and feet of a Taillow, the beak of a Wingull, and the wings and tail of an Articuno.
“ So what the heck am I?” Camille said.

“ You don’t know what you are?!?” Marin screeched. “ That’s the worst thing I’ve ever heard!”

“Oh, go eat a Weedle…” Camille said, head in hand, drumming her fingers on the granite stone. Marin shook her head in disgust and flew off. Camille then wondered, “WHAT AM I ANYWAY?”

Camille had the head and patterns of a Seviper, the eyes of a Sceptile, the teeth of a Sharpedo, the flameless tail of a Charizard, the body shape and claws of Spyro the Dragon, and the under plating of a Gyarados. To empty her head of complicated thought, she decided to go for a recovering walk.

------------

“ Why does she always ask a question then snub me before I can answer her question?” Marin asked herself, perched in a tree. “ I really don’t get reptiles…” It was 8:00 am, and the light shined through the trees, reflecting off of her feathers so that she seemed to glow like an angel.

Then she felt hot breath on the back of her neck, she turned around and saw a huge creature behind her, so huge that its four feet touched the ground. Its body rose thirty feet off the ground, it had the face and legs of a Suicune, the body of an Arcanine, the tail of a Houndoom, the body patterns and colors of a Rayquaza, and the ears and head crest of a Kangaskan.

“ Who and what are you?” Marin said breathlessly.

The creature then said “ I am Negronine, a dark Pokemon that has roamed this forest for a thousand years. My name is Sara.”
“ Well, nice to meet you Sara. I’m Marin.”

“ You seem upset.”

“ Oh… Nothing, I just had another quarrel with Camille. She’s a--”

“ Sanguana. I know… It’s not just you, she picks fights often.”

“ How do you--”

“ She has quite a reputation for being a cold, hard--”

“ Sara?” a voice from below called out.

Marin and Sara looked down to see a wolf-like Pokemon gazing up at them. It was pure white, had the head crest of Raikou, the facial shape and teeth of houndour, long white fur like a wolf, longer hair down its back like Shiftry, the tail of Mightyena, and the sleek shape of Ninetales.

“ To whom are you talking?” It asked.

“ Marin, this is Jenna. Jenna, this is Marin.” Sara said.

“ Pleasure to meet you, Marin.” Jenna said.

“ Oh my goodness…” Marin said breathlessly. “ You’re an Arpine, the fourth and unknown legendary dog!”

“ Well technically, I’m the ONLY legendary dog.” Jenna said. “ You see, the other so-called ‘dogs’ are actually cats.”

“ Really?” Marin said. “ Well… Entei, is a lion… Raikou, tiger… Hold on a second! Suicune’s a wolf!”

“ No, she isn’t…” Jenna said. “ She’s a cheetah.”

“ WHAT?!?” Marin said. “ That’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard!”

“ Wait a minute, she has a point…” Sara said “ It has those lines on its face, it can run very fast, it has spots…”
“… Holy cow! She’s right!” Marin exclaimed.

“ However, I’M a wolf.” Jenna added.

“ Ah, I see…” Marin said, nodding.

“ Quiet down…” a Pokemon said from above. The three looked up to see a purple cat lying gracefully on a limb. It was purple with a black Lugia stomach, Meowth ears, an Espeon tail and body, a football shaped head with a black V like a Farfetch’d’s on it., Shuppet eyes, and Persian legs, nose and mouth.

“ I’m trying to sleep…” It stretched on its back, the sun reflecting off its fur.

Marin gave one simple look and said “ Who the heck--?”

“ Rei… The one who makes Mewtwo looks like a pretty kitty…” She said, flipping herself upright, and stretching her back.

“ Oh really?” Sara said, her eyebrow raised. “ …Then show us.”

Sprawled out on the limb, Rei lazily pointed her finger towards her right as her eyes began to glow. A tree suddenly uprooted from the ground. Marin, Sara, and Jenna’s were clearly horrified. Rei left the tree hovering for a moment before sending it clear across fifty feet to where the forest grew thicker. It crashed across the opening, stirring up hundreds of Spearows and Taillows.

“ Holy CRAP!!!” a voice said from behind the tree.

Camille stood there, frozen fright, staring at the immense tree trunk on its side, roots covered in dirt. Camille struggled a little to get over the eight-foot thick hurdle and fell off the other side. Camille was knocked silly, but she shrugged it off and got up. She started walking, stopped cold turkey, staring at the abnormal foursome, while the others all just stared right back.

“ Don’t worry Marin! I’ll save you!” she said before galloping towards them, thinking Marin was in danger of these "new pals".
“ No don’t!” Marin yelled. Then, skidding to halt, Camille sent a stream of fire towards them. Marin and the others dodged it, causing it to land in a dead tree behind them.

“ Uh-oh, now you’ve done it!” Sara said as the tree quickly became a fiery column. Rei jumped off her tree well before it rapidly set fire to other trees so the forest became a blazing inferno. Rei caught herself before she even began to fall and turned towards the tree she was once in that Marin was in now. Pretty soon, the tree that Marin was sitting in started to burn. Marin hopped off just before the fire rose up in the place she had been sitting in.

“ Quick! We have to leave!” Jenna said.

“ Gee! I wonder what makes you think that!” Marin said sarcastically, annoyed at having to leap off her perch, which was now “faintly burning like a candle…”

“ Hop on!” Sara said, kneeling down. Jenna gracefully leaped on first, landing softly behind Sara’s shoulder blades.

“ I could use a rest.” Marin said, descending behind Jenna. Camille frantically scrambled up Sara’s left hind leg, using her un-retractable reptilian claws.

“ Ooh…EEK!” Sara said painfully. After Camille assembled herself, Sara asked Rei “ You need a lift?”

“ No thanks…” Rei answered. Her eyes began to glow confidently. “ I can handle it.”

------------

Sara dashed through the burning forest, jumping over fallen logs and ducking under branches. Rei, only thirty feet behind, nimbly dodged trees and weaved through flaming obstructions. Camille was gripping on Sara’s fur for dear life, suffering from a major panic attack.

“ Never fret, Camille. I do it all the time.” Jenna said trying to calm her down.

“ HOW FAST IS THIS THING GOIN’?!?!?” Camille screamed.

“ I’m going a hundred, easy.” Sara responded. “ Don’t worry we’re almost out.” And at that moment, Marin saw a faint light up ahead.

Before you could yell “We’re dead!” Sara leaped out of the forest and off the steep mountainside. But Sara ran so fast that the traction of her feet against the rock face allowed her to run down the cliff.

“ TOP THRILL DRAGSTER!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOHAHAHAHA!!!” Jenna laughed. In another minute, they skidded to a halt at the bottom.

“ Uggh…” Camille groaned, sickened by the vertical drop.

“ Don’t barf on me…” Sara said. Instead, Camille fainted. “ Better.”

Rei flew down after them and landed elegantly on the ground, sitting, tail curled around legs, head tilted, and smiling.

“ Showoff…” Marin said, hopping off Sara’s back.

“ What did you call me?” Rei said, eyes glowing, frowning.

“ Uh-oh…” Marin chirped. Marin screamed and took flight while Rei did the same. They flew through the air, doing loopdiloops and zigzagging. You name it, they did it. Jenna barked and jumped up, trying to snatch them from the air. This continued on for a while, until Sara grew tired of it. Sara’s eyes grew dark and a black aura engulfed them, causing them to drop to the ground. Camille had just awakened and was laughing hysterically at the scene that had just happened.

“ Weeeeee! That was fuuuuuun!” Marin said sarcastically.

------------

The five of them gazed over the horizon, knowing they were safe from danger.

“ Well we are out of harm's way. No thanks to SOMEBODY we all know very well.” Sara said, glaring at Camille, who was clearly embarrassed.

“ Where do we go now? There’s no way back.” Jenna said.

“ I’m starving…” Camille said.

“ YOU don’t deserve any food…” Sara said.

“ Give her a break, Sara…” Marin said. “ Eating is a natural thing.”

“ What could we eat?” Jenna inquired. “ There’s nothing for a hundred miles except desert.”

“ One S or two?” Sara asked, drooling.

“ We could eat Marin…” Rei said malevolently, sharp teeth gleaming. Marin yelped.

“ Nah…” Camille said. “ I never liked turkey. Too much on the juicy side.”

“ Yecch…” Jenna and Sara said, disgusted by Camille’s detailed description. However, Marin breathed a sigh of relief. Jenna all of a sudden detected a presence in the air. She looked up and saw a large creature above, spying on them from an overhanging rock. It was grey, and at a glance looked like a Ninetales. The creature quickly turned and walked out of view.

“ Jenna? What do you think?” Sara asked. Jenna stared up there for a few more seconds before shaking off her trance and becoming aware of the world again.

“ Sorry… Thought I saw something. What did you say?”

“ Me and Rei think we should go through the desert while Camille and Marin say we should wait here. The decision is up to you, Jenna. What do you wanna do?” Jenna thought, scanning the landscape. She could see mountains in the distance, and mountains meant water… and water meant “yes”.

“ We will go through the desert.” Jenna said.

“ Then what are we waiting for? Lets go!” Sara said optimistically.

------------

A couple hours from their decision, they had wished they had stayed. They were barely able to walk, their mouths watered, they yellow sand burned their feet… The mountains growing closer and closer was the only thing that kept them going. Then Jenna collapsed.

“ Guys, hold on.” Marin said, noticing the problem. Everyone rushed Jenna’s side.

“ Come on Jenna, we can’t stop now.” Sara said.

“ Yeah, we’re almost there.” Rei said in her rarely seen reassuring tone.

“ I… can’t… walk… You guys… go on… without me… I’ll… stay here.” Jenna panted.

“ We can’t leave you here Jenna!” Marin yelled. But Jenna had fainted and not heard her plea.

“ Let me carry her… Let me carry all of you.” Sara said. Everyone hopped on without delay, except for Rei. Sara bolted off at her top speed of 350 miles per hour, while Rei did the same. No more than a minute later, slowed to her average 100 mile running pace. Suddenly she looked up and screeched to a halt.

“ What is it, Sara?” Marin asked.

“ You’re not gonna believe this…” Sara said smiling and shaking her head. Everyone else looked up, gasped, and cheered. A massive thundercloud was rolling in towards them. Once it was above them, it began to pour, everyone leaped off of Sara and danced in the rain, Jenna awakened and joined them.

Behind them, a mysterious grey creature watched them. Jenna saw the creature and stopped her happy little rain dance. Her mind flashed back to the same creature on the rock walking away. The creature looked like a grey Ninetales with Groudon eyes, Umbreon bands and spots, Articuno chest fur, and a straightened out Marill tail.

“ Guys… Guys!… GUYS!!!” she yelled, trying to call their attention, but failing miserably. Finally she grew so annoyed, she blew an ice beam towards a cactus, freezing it, and surprising her friends into reality.

“ For god’s sake! Look!” she said pointing herself towards the creature like a pointer. Everyone looked at the creature until it jumped into the air and landed only a few feet away from Jenna and the others, making them gasp. Jenna finally got the guts to ask, “ Excuse me, Par le vous Englais?

“ Yes, I can speak.” The creature said.

“ Um… Who are you?” Jenna queried.

“ I am Naomi, Rainine of the desert.”

“ Rainine? You caused that downpour?” Sara realized.

“ I’ve been watching you, and your kindness to a fallen companion proved my judgments confirmed. Come, I know of shelter.” She said before dashing off.

“ Quick! Follow Naomi!” Rei shouted. They darted after Naomi like the wind, twisting and turning whenever she did. Soon enough, they got to a large hole. Naomi tuned to them and said, “ This is the spot, when I jump, you jump. Remember, don’t be afraid.” Camille shut her eyes tight, for even if she was a punk on the outside, she was a coward at heart. Naomi jumped in the hole and the others followed. Everyone except Naomi screamed simultaneously as they nose-dived into the fissure, fearing they would be flattened when they hit. They saw the ground rushing up to meet them, making Camille alarmed once more.

“ We’re gonna diiiiiiiiiiiieeeee!!!” Sara yelled, even though she was thirty feet tall, death would inevitably come. Then suddenly they stopped in midair, only a yard from the ground. Then they dropped.

“ My…call…” Rei grunted, her petite 30-pound body being underneath Camille’s bulky 300-pound body.

“ Thanks Rei.” Sara said, getting up.

Naomi stood, waiting for them. When they got sorted out, she led them down a dark dungeon tunnel. When the exited, they were in an alpine meadow with green grass all around, clear skies, and a river trickling through its center.

“ Cripes… How sappy can ya get?” Camille said. Everyone scowled at her. “ Wha-- What'd I do?!?”

“ I’ve lived here with my friend, Bay, all my life. I’ve never brought anyone here before.” Naomi said

“ Will she be angered?” Marin asked.

“ Of course not! She will be delighted to have guests!” Naomi said cheerfully.

Up ahead, they saw a white creature with angelic wings seated by the river. It looked like a Ninetales, had the eyes of Mew, the tail of Lugia, the brown back and tail base color, and a horn on her forehead. She glanced up from the water and saw the strange Pokemon in front of her.

“ Oh my… Who are these Pokemon?” She asked.

“ I’m not sure, Bay. They never introduced themselves.” Naomi said slyly, looking up at them.

“ Forgive us guys… I’m a Negronine named Sara.” Sara said.

“ Wow your huge!” Bay said.

“ Yeah, well… Thank god I’m not born ‘normally’.” Jenna, Naomi, Rei, and Bay chuckled, Camille laughed hysterically, while Marin was disgusted.

“ Yeah, and I’m a Cybird named Marin.” Marin said.

“ I’m a Sanguana named Camille.” Camille said.
“ I’m an Arpine named Jenna.” Jenna said.

“ And I’m a Psyline named Rei.” Rei said.

“ Well, nice to meet you, guys. I’m Bay, and I’m a Angepine.” Bay said.

“ Come in our den, you must be exhausted.” Naomi said beckoningly.

------------

15 minutes after entering the valley, they walked into Naomi and Bay’s den. Sara painfully bonked her head on the tunnel ceiling a few times, but ended up all right.

“ Make yourselves at home.” Bay said smiling. The den was unlike the average dirty little Ninetales den. The living room to the right had Mideastern oriental carpeting and large black walls and ceiling. There was a fireplace burning brightly in the very back wall and thirty or forty cushions placed neatly around the room. The kitchen looked like that of a restraunt’s: Black and white tiles, white ceiling and walls, aisles of cooking utensils, cupboards, and appliances. The bedroom had a fifty or so beds and baskets, pink walls with blue stripes, fluffy blue carpeting, and a mini performance stage.

“ Uh, are you sure that you are the only ones living here?” Camille asked. Naomi winked at Bay before saying. “ We want this place to be more of a permanent hotel, or a sorority, or something like that.”

“ You could have the option of staying here temporarily or permanently, or leaving.”

“ Hold on a sec, we’ll be right back.” Jenna said, huddling her pals together in a corner.

“ Should we make this our permanent home?” Jenna whispered to her comrades.

“ I’m a yes!” Camille said. Pointing at Camille Sara said, “ That’s one.”

“ Me too!” Marin said.

“ Shh! Okay, okay… That’s another.” Jenna said.

“ Okay, I don’t think we should take advantage of them like this.” Sara said.

“ Ditto.” Jenna said. “ Rei, it’s up to you.”

“ They obviously want us to stay.” Rei said. “ I’m callin’ it home.”

“ Okay, our decision’s made. Let’s tell them.” They turned towards Bay and Naomi, smiling.

“ What’s your choice?” Naomi and Bay said simultaneously, grinning.

“ Whaddaya think?” Sara said, also grinning.

“ YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA!!!” Naomi and Bay said cheering and dancing out of control.

“ Oooookaaaaay…” Marin said.

mr_pikachu
6th August 2004, 02:33 PM
Mmm, this could use some work. I honestly didn't really understand anything after the first chapter. You need to make what's happening clear. For instance, what was the barrier that appeared? Why did they set fire to the forest? These and many other questions need answering. Slow things down, and use some description. Without it, there's no way your readers will understand this sequence of actions.

Keep working on it. Remember, use description, and tell why things happen (or at least show the characters' confusion if they don't know either). I'll see you next time. :wave: