PDA

View Full Version : Duel Masters/Yu-Gi-Oh.

PokeLady Jeannette
6th August 2004, 12:19 PM
Both have card battling and monsters, but are there any differences?

Rudoku
6th August 2004, 12:24 PM
They've both been turned into crappy dubs, but at least one is crappy just to mock the other. That's all I gotta say.

Kojiro
6th August 2004, 12:25 PM
Well in Anime.

YGO-The characters look more human-like.
DM-Charcters look cartoony.

YGO-The dub is actually trying to tell the original japanese stroy, even know they mess it up sometimes.
Dm-The Dub Plot is mostly comedy and stuff. Thats te only positive thing about it I think.

Red Angel
6th August 2004, 02:48 PM
They're both shameless marketing schemes, and both animes are lame beyond belief. Oh, you're asking for differences... er... right.

Yoh Asakura
6th August 2004, 03:06 PM
They're both shameless marketing schemes, and both animes are lame beyond belief. Oh, you're asking for differences... er... right.

Japanese version isn't that bad. But it's ruined by the awful American dubbing like so many others.

Duel Masters is just a cheaply animated copy. Mostly bad comedy, refrences to YGO is in there, I don't actually know the storyline to it. *shrugs* if it has one that is.

Zalika
6th August 2004, 09:20 PM
I really hate it when people put down Yu-Gi-Oh!, because although the English version sucks ass, the Japanese originals are quite cool. No, I can't understand Japanese; I download subs. I'm too lazy to learn right now anyways.

Duel Masters, from what I've seen, seems to be a sick copy of YGO that should just be taken off because of the similarities alone. Sure it's cartoony, but it's not as good and there seems to be no plot. YGO at least has a flowing plot and GOOD art.

I'm sure that's really the only differences--the animation qualities and the fact that Duel Masters seems so plotless and pointless. :mad2:

That's all I have to say, really, for I haven't watched Duel Masters very much at all... It just seems so much more stupid from what I've seen. And the copies piss me off.

Whoever created Duel Masters should get their head blown off for copying Kazuki Takahashi's anime! :ingrams:

~Zalika :sleep:

Razola
6th August 2004, 10:25 PM
Both are idiotic, but Duel Masters is at least is AWARE of that fact.

Roarkiller
7th August 2004, 05:16 AM
YGO at least has a flowing plot and GOOD art.

Good art? With Yugi's hair like that? :surprised:

Last Exile
7th August 2004, 06:09 AM
Yami's hair ownz though. Yami owns full stop. The japanese version is much better.

Duel Masters is a spin-off on Magic The Gathering, an attempt by Wizard fo the Coast to take away YGO from the #2 card game (Magic is #1). Just pretend DM never existed which is so easy to do anyway. No one plays it in Australia.

Dark Scizor
7th August 2004, 05:43 PM
Duel Masters mad me want to cry it was that bad. When i first saw YGO i thought it was alright, when i watch the episodes again i realise how lame and corny the dub is.

EVme15
7th August 2004, 08:18 PM
Happy news for Americans, uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! (and Shaman King) episodes are being released on DVD October 11th. I'm not sure if this has been brought up since I wasn't able to completely read 3 weeks of posting in 3 hours, but I thought I'd let people know since future releases depend on the sales of the first DVDs.
Now that I'm done with that...

Duel Masters is not anime. Shame shame shame. Evil peoples. I was watching it today because it came on right before Groove Adventres Rave, and I was laughing so hard. It is crap!
Yu-Gi-Oh! is awesome. The dub is bad. End of story.

Outlaw JT
7th August 2004, 10:17 PM
You have to look at both anime for what they are. Yu-Gi-Oh is a marketing ploy to help keep the game popular. Duel Masters is a shameless spoof that makes fun of itself more than it copies Yu-Gi-Oh. The art in the YGO anime is mostly crap. Earlier in the series it was alright but just after the beginning of the Battle City tournament the art in the show completely went to crap. It does have a decent, albeit unoriginal, story which is not entirely butchered by the dub but close to it. Duel Masters does actually have a story but it is close in tone to pokemon than YGO. It's not meant to be serious though. In fact, the show itself is entirely a spoof on the whole genre. Yes it is crappily put together but if you pay close attention the writing is actually downright hilarious. Countless asides (comments where the actors address the audience) and innumerable references to various things in popular culture and mythology stack up to be truly hysterical. Admittedly, it is crap but that's part of what makes it so good. If it for even one second tried to take itself seriously it'd be an outright loss but as it never stops making fun of itself it is actually a pretty decent watch. YGO is the higher quality show but I think if you take the time to truly listen to DM you'll find them equally as enjoyable.

Razola
7th August 2004, 11:52 PM
Duel Masters is not anime.
It's in the same stylings, therefore it is indeed anime.

EDIT: And no sub is going to make the adventures of some card flopping pink-haired freak enjoyable. The dub alone doesn't make it bad: the concept itself is crap.

Dark Scizor
8th August 2004, 12:25 AM

EDIT: And no sub is going to make the adventures of some card flopping pink-haired freak enjoyable. The dub alone doesn't make it bad: the concept itself is crap.
anˇiˇme ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-m)

A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex.

Emphasis on developed in Japan, which i am guessing Duel Masters is not. Therefore it is not proper anime, but rather some cheap imitation. :rolleyes:

Roarkiller
8th August 2004, 12:28 AM
anˇiˇme ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-m)

A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex.

Emphasis on developed in Japan, which i am guessing Duel Masters is not. Therefore it is not proper anime, but rather some cheap imitation. :rolleyes:

Actually, in japan, anime is anything animated. Which includes shrek and batman too.

So, yeah, sorry to spoil the fun.

Dark Scizor
8th August 2004, 12:39 AM
Actually, in japan, anime is anything animated. Which includes shrek and batman too.

So, yeah, sorry to spoil the fun.
Damn. Well, I tried, gunned down. But least i tried lol

Razola
8th August 2004, 01:28 AM
At this point anime is a style of animation. If you saw something in the same art style of Looney Tunes or Toy Stort from Japan, would you also call it anime?

Yoh Asakura
8th August 2004, 03:19 AM
Sorry but you're wrong RK.

If you define it using google you get:

A form of Japanese Animation.

Animation from Japan.

A term used to describe a style of Japanese animation (cartoon or otherwise) where people are drawn with big doe-eyes. There's also usually at least one of the following large human-controlled anthropomorphic robots; big space ships; ninja, samurai, or other martial arts; demonic entities that spurt tentacles and do really lascivious things with them; people with psychic abilities; cyborgs; or mysticism. The animation is highly stylized, and visuals are often very sharp and glossy. If you're familiar with Akira, Sailor Moon, Star Blazers, or Macross, then you know what we're talking about.

And Outlaw, you've proved yourself to be a moron. Seeing as the animation quality improves from the first series.

Last Exile
8th August 2004, 03:59 AM
Ouside of Asia - anime = japanese animation
Inside Asia - anime = any animation

Okay, we get the picture. No need for any more arguments. ;)

The Muffin Man
8th August 2004, 12:05 PM

Actually, Animé(How it's pronounced) is a french word...

The Muffin Man
8th August 2004, 12:07 PM

Actually the concept is that the game was developed from an ancient magic, and the magic is released since Yugi is the pharoahs reincarnation. The series REAL concept isn't the card game, it's Yugi trying to figure out what his connection with ancient egyptian myths and legends is.

Yoh Asakura
8th August 2004, 12:34 PM
Anime - Derived from the french word for "animated", this is what we call Japanese Animation.

Google definition's always come in handy.

Dark Scizor
8th August 2004, 02:55 PM

LE has it summed up in this post ^

Anyway, Duel Masters still sucks to the max.

Razola
8th August 2004, 06:19 PM
Actually the concept is that the game was developed from an ancient magic, and the magic is released since Yugi is the pharoahs reincarnation. The series REAL concept isn't the card game, it's Yugi trying to figure out what his connection with ancient egyptian myths and legends is.
Okay, it's a medicore concept with crappy execution.

The Muffin Man
8th August 2004, 09:16 PM
Okay, it's a medicore concept with crappy execution.

Much more accurate. Heh.

dragon684
9th August 2004, 04:32 PM
I belive this is getting way off of topic. So I hope people will blam this post so atleast we get a little near the reason why this topic was created.

Differences between Duel Masters and Yu-gi-oh. Well I would compare Duel Masters to Yu-gi-oh like I compare Digimon to Pokémon.

I live in Belgium and I have no idea what kind of series Duel Masters is but I believe the same thing will happen to it like what happened to Digimon. Digimon got totally overshadowed by Pokémon(which was aired sooner here). Digimon just couldn't get anywhere near popularity enough to take the focus off Pokémon.

piKachuuu
12th August 2004, 01:56 AM
I like Yu-Gi-Oh! I haven't watched Duel Masters yet... XD I don't really like M:TG... Heard Duel Masters is based around M:TG. Stupid how they used the name Duel Masters when Duel Monsters exists... XD

I'm really sorry but... I kinda like Yu-Gi-Oh! better than Pokémon AG...

Outlaw JT
19th August 2004, 03:19 AM
Seeing as the animation quality improves from the first series.

Yes, because sharp triangles for faces is truly masterful art *sarcasm*! Some of the facial expressions in the Noah story arc and in the Battle City finals look like extremely cheap knock-offs of Picasso for crying out loud! How can you consider that good art? My friend's mentally challenged cousin can draw faces better.

Also, Duel Masters was created in Japan before it came over here. The full story, they were creating an anime centered around MTG and while it was being developed they changed some gameplay elements for purpose of the anime. Those changes lead to an entirely new game based on MTG with a much simpler rule structure. Yes, it was meant to compete with Yu-Gi-Oh. While the anime doesn't hold up against YGO (although the anime really is a spoof, rather than a serious competitor), the card game has been outselling YGO in Japan for a while now.

As for the Duel Masters anime, the entire series is a huge joke. It's not meant to be serious. From the moment it starts till the moment it ends it continues to make fun of itself and YGO and countless other things in pop culture. If you're looking for a serious anime about a young boy discovering his connections to the ancient past, watch YGO. If you want to watch a show that makes fun of other card battling anime and itself, watch Duel Masters. Duel Masters is to YGO as Spaceballs is to Star Wars.

Razola
19th August 2004, 11:58 AM
Duel Masters is to YGO as Spaceballs is to Star Wars.
Except Star Wars wasn't, you know, a pile of shit.

Though Lucas seems determine to make it so...

The Muffin Man
19th August 2004, 03:07 PM
Except Star Wars wasn't, you know, a pile of shit.

Though Lucas seems determine to make it so...

And Duel Masters isn't a stroke of pure genius and hilarity.

Yoh Asakura
19th August 2004, 03:24 PM
Wow, if it was any other anime bashing it'd be closed. How amusing.

Crazy
19th August 2004, 08:40 PM
Well the show Duel Masters,while making fun of YGO still sucks. I mean I know it is supposed to be that way but it doesn't make that good. Now the CARD GAME of YGO is actually cool and fun,but the show suffers.

The Muffin Man
19th August 2004, 08:41 PM
Wow, if it was any other anime bashing it'd be closed. How amusing.

Yeah isn't it great how the mods play favorites?

Yoh Asakura
20th August 2004, 12:47 PM
Yeah isn't it great how the mods play favorites?

That it is. Funny how the so called S-mods that are supposed to look in every area of the forum somehow scan past this.

Legends-Kuja
20th August 2004, 11:01 PM
Don't make me laugh.

Duel Masters is hilarious. I don't take it seriously (except for Mimi, who reminds me heavily of a darker Amy from the Sonic series...), so I can laugh along with it.

YGO is lame. The dub sucks.

ryandude713
28th August 2004, 07:51 PM
Equation for Duel Masters:
Yu Gi Oh + Magic the Gathering - Entertainment