PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good fanfic?

Whisper in the Wind
6th August 2004, 04:11 PM
I couldn't find this question anywhere here so if its been asked before just close the thread *to mods* So um, what makes 1 then?

Darien Shields
6th August 2004, 04:41 PM
Hahah, that's a good question, but you've not phrased it very well. Since Pokemon Fan Fics can be quite different from other types of Fan Fics it's really two different questions, but I'll assume you mean Pokemon Fics for the time being.

Trainer Fics:

I'd say that good characters are paramount. Trainer Fics all follow a similar plot structure, get a pokemon, beat gyms, catch more pokemon, and fight the league. It is the interpretation of these that constitute the plot, what happens between the gyms, the character interaction, etc.

Writing skill constitutes a lot of it, how you describe battles and gyms, etc.

Really what a lot of people want is originallity (although many refuse to read it unless it's written well), so what makes a fic good is really different for every person. You must find your own way, your own path, just like everyone else. Or maybe Outlaw Star is putting words in my mouth.

Remember, Good and Popular are not the same things!

Whisper in the Wind
6th August 2004, 04:56 PM
well. I did mean both but thats a good start :D thanks

Gavin Luper
6th August 2004, 10:25 PM
I'm sure it's been asked before, but it's always good to see what everyone thinks makes a good fic.

In my opinion, there has to be a combination of factors to make a fic really good. Although, if a fic lacks something it can still be very very good. As a general rule, you need realistic, good characters; a fairly complex plot; originality and plot twists; and, maybe most importantly, a great writing style. It's the style that makes it so good to read!

Cheers!

ChaosPocketed
6th August 2004, 10:39 PM
As a reader, I look for a good amount of originality, which can be applied to Trainer Fics if you vary them enough; kind of defy the genre a little. I would read anything if it was well-written.

But the basic essentials for a good fic are a good idea and a good writer.

mr_pikachu
7th August 2004, 01:36 AM
I know that I've used this word a thousand times in just as many situations, so I probably seem a bit repetitive. But I think a balance of all the elements is what can make a fic great. (I'm big on balance. ;))

For me, if the characters aren't well-developed, the fic doesn't look good. If the grammar is poor, the fic doesn't look good. If the description is lacking, the fic doesn't look good. If the writing style is hideous, the fic doesn't look good. But remarkably, I'll read a fic with all of these bad traits, just to help writers improve. So I guess my opinion doesn't count, sort of... >_> But those elements, all put together in equal amounts, are what can make a fic good in my eyes.

Chris 2.1
8th August 2004, 04:54 AM
The Fanfic Cake

You will need:
1 Micorsoft Word
1 Plot
1 Cast
1 Spellcheck
2oz grammar skills
2oz writing ability
1/2 tbspn (tablespoon) of creativity

Step1)
Get a Word Document - I always find Microsoft to be best, but you can use any - and open it up. For each chapter you will need a portion of the plot. This is called Plot Development. You CAN introduce the cast now, or at least, some of them, but for best results you could add the cast in the next Chapter.

Step2)
Type your plot and aim for no less than 3 pages on Word. For a first fic, I'd say no more than 8, but you rarely get that anyway. Add the Grammar and writing skills. Stir until it becomes all gooey.

Step3)
Finish off this stage by adding a dash of creativity - not too much, that can cause heart attacks from readers - and mix with a whisk or other whisk-like apparatus. Leave for a few days.

Step4)
Now look at your Fanfic. It should look good. Add some spellcheck for the best results. I find chocolate sprinkles can also make a fic look even better when finally posted. Put it in a new thread and presto!

Easy :-)

Iveechan
8th August 2004, 07:51 AM
To me, anything with a Fighting type who isn't treated bad is like finding a diamond in the rough. I dunno, what appeals to me depends on my mood. Well done comedy and action/adventure always appeal to me the most. About comedy, I dislike those so-called "Insanity fics" where the authors talks to her (always a female) Pokemon or Goku or some s-hit like that, and they just toss in random crap, hence insanity fic. I like Silver Machop's style, he made some great comedy that could appeal to anyone.

EDIT: 1,800 posts, I rule

Darien Shields
8th August 2004, 11:47 AM
The Fanfic Cake

You will need:
1 Micorsoft Word

I know you say shortly that it's not essential, but I dislike the general assumption that everyone uses Word and not, say Lotus Word Pro (Which I used in years gone by, and was excellent), or as I stated before Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/).

Step2)
Type your plot and aim for no less than 3 pages on Word. For a first fic, I'd say no more than 8, but you rarely get that anyway. Add the Grammar and writing skills. Stir until it becomes all gooey.

What seems at first glance to be good sense has often been the demise of my fics. I let the scenario play out in my head, every adventure weaves its way towards a conclusion, and then I've got the plot. But now I've got to write it, and shortly I become extremely bored of writing something where I've set the end in stone, and know everything that's going to happen.

I tend to have a murky view of the goal, the finishing point, and the general idea of what's coming up immediately in the fic, but in between the present and the future I don't know. This greatly helped me avoid writer's block in the past.

As for Mr. Pikachu's comment on balance, well... I'm all for balance, really, the ultimate fic would surely excel to equal degrees in all fields, but until we reach that platonic level I think it's good to excel in one field as long as the others are okay and not bad. That way there's a bit of variety, "Oh, I like the plot of so and so... but I like the characters in that...", etc.

P.S. 1800 posts, and at least 2 un answered PMs. You rockin' not.

Chris 2.1
8th August 2004, 12:59 PM
Hey, DarIen, chill! I said Microsoft word because its generally what people use. If you actually thought fanfics are only good on MS word...well...you just wouldn't.

Just chill, it's lighthearted fun!

Iveechan
9th August 2004, 02:33 AM
P.S. 1800 posts, and at least 2 un answered PMs. You rockin' not.

What do you think of me? First you tell me that my fic is too forced and could be better written, but then make it a spotlight. Then you have this great idea, but just because I don't have an answer yet, then you go "You rockin' not". Look, I'm sorry that I'm not freakin' perfect.

Darien Shields
9th August 2004, 01:42 PM
What do you think of me? First you tell me that my fic is too forced and could be better written, but then make it a spotlight. Then you have this great idea, but just because I don't have an answer yet, then you go "You rockin' not". Look, I'm sorry that I'm not freakin' perfect.

I was on the verge of PMing you to discus this matter, but considering your track record, it suddenly struck me as a bad idea.

I gave your fic criticism. This is normal. People criticise fics. Most writers ask for criticism, I can't remember whether you did or not, but I'm just in the habit of giving it. Yet you seemed to take it as an insult, I may have brought it up once or twice, but you referred to it (in a topic I posted, about criticism) as if we had some sort of personal vendetta and that I had been wrong. Even if my criticism was incorrect, it doesn't mean you should become some sort of zealot over it. As I recall someone else (although I have no idea who, now) agreed with me, so it probably was right.

And just because I criticised it doesn't mean I didn't like it. And big surprise, the UA Spotlight isn't for great fics. It's for fics with almost no replies. Admitedly, your fic is good, I thought of a fic that was good, and deserved more recognition, and yours sprung to mind. I had actually forgotten all about the criticism I made, and even if I did remember, it wouldn't make any difference.

I don't consider "you rockin' not" to be a really scathing insult either. It was ment more as a joke than anything else. Actually I hoped to get you to reply to the PM, which you still haven't done. It was only two paragraphs long, and I sent it two weeks ago. You said to me "I have to read that again." I thought that kind of meant "I'm gonna go read that now, and reply", but apparantly not. If you want to get all lippy and retorty in public, answer the damn thing first! I don't even care if you deny me permission to post in FA now, I'm starting to think that it was a stupid idea to try and bring the 'Zine to a wider audience. I still want an answer though, even if it is just Size Seven No.

I must apologise again to the rest of you, for veering off topic. I wish I could have settled this privately with Iveechan, and saved face, but I feel that is not an option.

P.S. Heh, thanks for the I, Chris, it is appreciated. I wasn't being all mad in that post, I was just pointing out more strongly. I guess maybe I shouldn't have ^_^;, but it just sounded like... "You need Microsoft Word", which made me think. I'm chilling as we speak.

Oh, and incidentally, almost as a rule, I only read things with or pertaining to Pokemon on the forum (Sorry Zak Hunter.) If I want fantasy, I'll break out a book (the Chronicles of Narnia are sitting by my bed right now) and if it's sci fi, I'll do the same, or play Half Life. It just so happens that I find the episodic chapters each with their own miniature cliff hangers, etc. an excellent medium for pokemon fan fiction.

Chris 2.1
9th August 2004, 04:15 PM
I dont know of the running feud, or disagreement concerning you two, but I think you could keep it Private, we don't want this to get mucky.

Whisper in the Wind
9th August 2004, 08:31 PM
Yeah, this topic just kinda became an excuse to burn the fuse off on you two's fued.

Anyway, back on topic, anyone else with opinions on what makes a good fic (I sorta have opinions on it but I'm too newbie a writer and read too few fics to have a valid backing for any opinion)

Tainted
9th August 2004, 10:04 PM
Oh, and incidentally, almost as a rule, I only read things with or pertaining to Pokemon on the forum (Sorry Zak Hunter.)

:(

But, in all honesty-- you just don't know. Maybe one odd fantasy writer on the board just may become the next Tolkien. Definately not me, just pointing out that fantasy as a whole should not be ignored solely because it's on a pokemon board.

*sniff* You hurt my emotions. :(

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Darien Shields
9th August 2004, 10:20 PM
:(

But, in all honesty-- you just don't know. Maybe one odd fantasy writer on the board just may become the next Tolkien. Definately not me, just pointing out that fantasy as a whole should not be ignored solely because it's on a pokemon board.

*sniff* You hurt my emotions. :(

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

What's not to say a pokemon fic writer won't become great? Just because we write pokemon now doesn't mean we won't write fantasy or sci fi (hell, with the recent upsurgance of horror and detective we don't even need to default to these traditional foils) later in life? Many's a time someone's told me that they're moving onto real fiction, something they can publish (which always annoys me, for some reason.)

I apologise again for my tyrade. I thought that some of the latter notes brought the post slightly more towards the subject at hand, but...

I think that good fakemon make a fic great, they almost serve as a mascot for it. I remember thinking of TEL in the early days as 'that one with Terriados', and the like. Of course bad fakemon do the opposite and just make it seem cheesey. But if you can pull it off, I definately think that Ficmon enhance a Fake. Err, I mean...

mistysakura
10th August 2004, 04:54 AM
Whee, back on topic! Personally, I think that the most important thing in a fic that make it good are the writing style and the characters. Oh yeah, plot's good too.

Writing style's self-explanatory; however well crafted the characters, however original the plot, reading a fic that goes like "I let out Chikorita. "Chikorita!" said Chikorita. It defeated the Zubat. It was happy." is really quite annoying (and depressing). I don't think there's a particular writing style that makes fics good, but some amount of description is important, and flow is essential. Characters that are unique and that readers can relate to make the fic more interesting and more realistic. We like to read about people, not cardboard cutouts. Plot's pretty obvious too, plotless fics that go on forever are annoying. And of course, the story is most likely to draw readers to the fic in the first place.

What makes a popular fic is one or more of the following: an acclaimed past writer, a bit of luck, and a good fic. With the good fic being the most important.

dratinihaunter13
10th August 2004, 04:47 PM
To me, a Fanfic could be good in many different ways. Different styles appeal to different people, so the "good" ends up being an individual opinion from reader to reader more than anything. Mew_ryuu's style was fraught, and i mean fraught with description, but she knew description and owned it, so even though it took over most of the fic, the plot never seemed too interrupted. The writers who can write great battle scenes might use a lot less description, but their battles rock so the fic is good. I'm putting popularity aside here in this assessment.

What makes a fic good for me, is originality. A fic can be masterfully written, and I would probably enjoy it, but if a similar idea had been done before it would really turn me off. Also, a good fic has to have satisfying chapters, no one page blurbs (there are exceptions depending on what the other is trying to do). It needs a good writer with a good idea, like ChaosPocketed said. And the fic must also be open to improvement. No one here is freaking perfect at writing fics, so certain advice must be taken as valuable, and criticisms should be taken graciously. That's how a mediocre fic can become good.

just my thoughts on it.

Dragonfree
10th August 2004, 09:08 PM
OK... for me to really like a fic, somebody has to die in it. I don't like those stories where everybody lived happily ever after. And the one who dies should not just be a "bad guy" who's made to die. Either a good guy or a neutral guy, somebody who wasn't supposed to die according to the good guys' plan.

Then, a good Pokémon fic needs to have proper Pokémon characters.

Also, anything I read must flow. Improper flow means I can't read it. Description must be the right amount, and rather too little than too much. My sense of flow is very delicate, so this is very often where a fic fails on my test.