PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of Grammar and Spelling

mr_pikachu
7th August 2004, 04:17 PM
I just accidentally posted this in the main fanfic section... *blushes*

Anyway, here's what I said before.

I've been looking at the responses of writers and readers for awhile now, and it seems that there's a vast range of opinions on how important grammar and spelling are. Some people think that they are vitally important to a fanfic, and won't read a fic that doesn't at least have decent grammar. Other people aren't bothered by mistakes at all. And still more people don't notice any grammar errors, no matter how abundant they may be. But what are your thoughts on how important grammar and spelling are to a fanfic?

EDIT: I voted for the third option, since most writers don't have perfect grammar anyway. That's what editors are for in professional writing. :lol:

Captain Pringle
7th August 2004, 04:26 PM
I was between the 2nd and 3rd options, but went with the second (vitally important). I mean, if you're reading an intense action scene (or a slow, sweet romance scene... any kind of scene that really draws you into the moment), a glaring mistake in spelling and grammar can really pull you out of that moment, y'know?

Of course, I know how very hard it is to catch all the errors... but I think it's something writers should strive for. One solid proofread doesn't really take too much extra time, and it can help make the fic much more enjoyable for the readers in the end.

The Decapitated Mole
7th August 2004, 06:04 PM
I voted number 3. Mainly because, obviously, I'm not a grammatical genius. I'll read just about anything with a good plot. When there are errors that are that frequent and that horrible, I blot them out with my mind and replace them with words I feel to be more suitable whenever they come up. You'd be surprised how easy that becomes after reading/writing as many bad-grammar fics as I have. So I feel that it's important, yes, but it's not all that vital.

o_0
jimm

ChaosPocketed
7th August 2004, 07:22 PM
I voted number two. It really adds to the experience if the author takes the time to make it look like he typed it in English not Spanish.

I won't not read it, I just think good grammar is a good thing to have. There's grammar checks in newer Microsoft Word Processors now anyway (don't know how reliable they are, though).

mistysakura
8th August 2004, 01:57 AM
There's grammar checks in newer Microsoft Word Processors now anyway (don't know how reliable they are, though).
Well, let's just say that I could get away with typing total gibberish.

Anyway, I chose option no. 3 because I think that while spelling and grammar are important, and fic without good spelling and grammar can be a pain to read, it isn't vital. If everything else works, you can still have a fabulous fic. And a fic with perfect spelling and grammar, but a cliched plot, bad characters and zero description still sucks. But bad spelling and grammar can get really annoying.

Gavin Luper
8th August 2004, 04:28 AM
I chose option 3 ... in my opinion, spelling and grammar are reasonably important, but they don't need to be anywhere near perfect for me to enjoy a fic. Of course, the better the spelling and grammar the better it is to read, but I'm honestly never fussed.

Chris 2.1
8th August 2004, 04:59 AM
I would say option 3...it is very important; spelling and grammar can really give a fanfic a good name if it has just started out. However, if say, Gavin, or CP, or Ozzy or Mist....any Writer who's actually got a strong name for themself spelld things wrong (on the OFFCHANCE, guys, on the OFFCHANCE ;)), I don't think it would affect the fic.

Now all I'm saying is that you need to make a good impression with your fanfic, so Ch1 must be incredible, and one good way of doing that is perfecting spelling and grammar for a good long period of time. Then, if or when it does dip, I don't think it would be as startling, or have as much of an effect on your fic.

As for me? My S&G is atrocious. I don't have MS Word, I use MS Wordpad. It has no spellcheck or pages :-/. Can anyone tell me where to download Word? (I can guess...)

achooxp
10th August 2004, 11:55 PM
I chose #2, though I'm not sure how legitimate my vote is, since I don't write much anymore, now that college keeps me busy. :sweat4: I personally am one who appreciate the beauty of the telling of a story more than the actual story itself, so an atrocious spelling error or a loss in eloquence due to grammatical errors frustrates me to the point where I'll sometimes stop reading the fic. However, nobody's perfect and mistakes can be overlooked.

Still, I think having decent spelling and grammar in your fic is, in its own way, a sign of respect for both your writing and your readers.

I feel pree-ten-shuss. :nut:

Suite Madame Blue
11th August 2004, 12:33 AM
I'm on the fence between options 2 & 3, but went with 2. It doesn't mean I enjoy a fic any less, because there are other elements to consider, such as plot and characters. But I do notice S&G errors, and can get really distracted by them. It's hard for me to just ignore them. My inner editor goes crazy sometimes noticing the details, and too many errors destroy the story's momentum for me.

Dragonfree
12th August 2004, 03:24 PM
I voted number 3. It is irritating, but I can read things with spelling and grammar errors.

Orion
14th August 2004, 04:02 PM
I voted option 4...I don't really care for grammar at all. It is important in the fact that reading can be confusing with awful grammar, but for that we have common sense. If we see a grammar error, we kinda skip it and turn it into a well-written sentence.

Well, maybe it's because I'm pretty sucky at English grammar, or that I'm not a native English speaker, but some grammar errors won't turn me down. I think the grammar is the least important aspect of any fic, but that's just me...

The only grammar error that causes me trouble at times is when words are poorly written. Say, some words that become another if a single typo is added. this can really mess the reader up, but a bit of thinking can get you out of the slump.

Of course, there's bad grammar and BAD grammar. Not even I could read something written like the 5th poll option...it's like writing a weird dialect or stuff...

Ohh well, I know I'm the least indicated person to rant about grammar.:sweat4:

PS100
15th August 2004, 07:01 PM
I chose number three. I think that while both are important, only one really matters to make something a good fic... grammar. Spelling is important, so your readers can understand what you're trying to get across, but incorrect spelling can be glanced over, noted, and referred to as "minor mistakes." Incorrect grammar, though, can take away from a fic. You you're writing and you go from past tense to present tense, it will confuse the readers, which would be bad.

PS

Almond
18th August 2004, 07:36 PM
I picked the second one. I have trouble reading fics that have too many spelling and grammar errors. But then, I consider myself a grammar Nazi. ^^;; The occasional mess-up or typo isn't too bad, but if I see one more fic that goes like "i luv u mitsy sed ash, i luv u ahs sed missy", I'm going to go insane.