PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: The End of an Era?

Chris 2.1
8th August 2004, 05:19 AM
Good morro to thee, kind TPM-arians! Woudst thouest decline upon my good fair self one simple, thread of discussionageness! (Self: That isn't a word -_-;;)

Anyway, I was scanning around the boards the other day, and...would you believe it! The Emerald League has met its maker. Ok it's been WITH its maker for so long I - forget it....

Ok, the point is, TEL was a fic that's been around her for ages, and it's finally just...ended. Lisa The Legend, another jewel in the crown that is fanfic, is also entering its last 'book' IIRC. Other fics, like Lapras Valley High, finished some time ago, and were firm favourites among TPMers.

The question is, what happens when all the fics like this end? The fanfics that most writers/FF-ers will view, the fics that are the pillars of our forum....well...what happens when this pillar crumbles?

Because, IMHO, there are no fics to carry on the legacy; no fanfic that will take the places of the great ones ending at the moment.

Discussage, add opinions, etc all.

Captain Pringle
8th August 2004, 05:43 AM
Well, I'd think that any writer whose fic is good enough to be considered a "pillar" of the forum would probably look to continue writing after his/her big fic is done, and start a new story - either a continuation of their just-finished one, or something brand spankin' new. (Don't mind that I'm totally not going to stick to the above generalization... not for quite a while anyway. ;))

Meanwhile, there are lots of upcoming writers in these forums just dying to get some more attention onto their fics, many of which I'm sure are just as good or better than the aforementioned popular fics. Maybe the fics just haven't gotten far enough for us to realize their true potential to be great. With some of the big fics out of the way, just maybe some of these fics will get the attention they deserve. Then, after enough time, they can turn into the fics that carry on the legacy of the forum.

Sounds like a plan to me. :)

PancaKe
8th August 2004, 06:40 AM
Ive been suffering writers block. Believe me, I've been tryin to get somethin out that'll be just as good as LVH if not better. It's really really difficult though. ^.^;;;

I think perhaps we do need a revival in the forum. It's been going down hill ever since the big names began leaving. We've seen the sort-of return of tyger, but the big writers liek bbp and like mew_ryuu and timarerlay and others (The're the only ones i can think of atm). I think we need a new breed of fics to rise up! *poses*

^.^ it seemed like the right moment to pose.

Iveechan
8th August 2004, 07:45 AM
Excuse me? No fics to carry on this legacy? Something tells me you haven't read ALL the fics here. Just because a fic isn't 5 million chapters long primarily about boring humans doesn't mean they aren't legacy material. This is why I never read any of the super pooper popular fics here, so much hype. To me, the best long-running fanfic I ever read had little recognition; Jewel Eyes. It had a great balance of Pokemon and humans one could care for, adventure, and lots of different Pokemon. And a Hitmonchan in an apron. I have a feeling it's discontinued... but whatever. I find that remark "Because, IMHO, there are no fics to carry on the legacy; no fanfic that will take the places of the great ones ending at the moment" to be rather offensive.

Chris 2.1
8th August 2004, 09:43 AM
Sorry, Iveechan, I didn't mean to cause any offense to anybody. Please accept my apology.

What I meant by that was that everybody is too engrossed in the big fics here that the smaller ones get ignored.

The way to keep Fanfic going is to make every fic big. I think everyone should try and get involved with a new fic, scower the boards for something new and reply, and we'll try and make sure Fanfic keeps going.

mr_pikachu
8th August 2004, 04:59 PM
Well, I'd think that any writer whose fic is good enough to be considered a "pillar" of the forum would probably look to continue writing after his/her big fic is done, and start a new story - either a continuation of their just-finished one, or something brand spankin' new. (Don't mind that I'm totally not going to stick to the above generalization... not for quite a while anyway. ;))

Meanwhile, there are lots of upcoming writers in these forums just dying to get some more attention onto their fics, many of which I'm sure are just as good or better than the aforementioned popular fics. Maybe the fics just haven't gotten far enough for us to realize their true potential to be great. With some of the big fics out of the way, just maybe some of these fics will get the attention they deserve. Then, after enough time, they can turn into the fics that carry on the legacy of the forum.

Sounds like a plan to me. :)

Too true. I actually think that the boards might get better once some of the "legendary" fics end, because other writers will get more recognition. Plus, you're right about authors just doing other fics, like Gavin's new one, "The Risdon League". (And yes, it is a truly horrid title.) Maybe I'm stretching it when I say the forums could get better, but I don't think the "end of the era" should be too startling. Besides, with the end of one era comes the beginning of another, right? :yes:

Chris 2.1
8th August 2004, 05:05 PM
Yea, I mean with any luck people will start reading smaller fics, helping them thrive into big fics. By the way, Gav, CP, Oz, Mist, we're not QUITE saying we want you out of TPM, since you could hurt us with forks :-(

But yea, Gav's started another fic, and I think CP was gonna start some new spy fic project (I'm sure you said it once...*shifts eyes shiftily). And Mist has done a couple other fics, so...well, let's just wait and see.

mistysakura
8th August 2004, 07:10 PM
Well, there certainly is a lot of potential legacy material on this forum. The problem is most of these potential fics haven't gotten very far yet; they're either just starting out or are simply overshadowed by other fics popularity-wise.

My view on this is that while there'll probably be a period on TPM where there are next to no legacy fics, people will start expanding their reading, and eventually new "legacy" fics will emerge. Well, that is, hopefully. It's all theoretical...

P.S. The above is IMHO, and if it offends anyone, just tell me. It's probably a case of misunderstanding/ wrong usage of words on my part.

classy_cat18
8th August 2004, 07:17 PM
I know how we can take care of this problem. No more closet readers! If these newbies knew that others were keeping up with their fic and liking it, there wouldn't even be any worries to the end of an era. I don't care if people merely say "I like it". PM me and say that! That will take care of the spamming, won't it?

Gavin Luper
11th August 2004, 03:45 AM
I see your point, Chris, I've noticed the lack of so-called "Legacy" fics too ... and Tara's right, ever since all the big names left, things have gone downhill ... I don't think many people here would still remember Dragon King, Sooty, Tima, BBP, MR, mew_ryuu, Toge, Tyger, Andy Newer, and heaps more that I missed. And their fics ... SAI, The Azure League, The League, Love and Sacrifice (it was huge!)... and many more.

I guess my point is that a lot of the best writers we had are leaving, and for some reason there's nobody stepping up to fill their shoes. That's odd, because I know there's a few very good new writers who have potential to be excellent, but their fics have got off to a rocky start. I think all of us writers need to start giving it our all! I think Ada's theory's probably right, more or less, there will be periods of no huge, memorable fics, then some will come again ... wow it's just like a prophecy :D:D

classy_cat18
11th August 2004, 08:47 AM
I guess my point is that a lot of the best writers we had are leaving, and for some reason there's nobody stepping up to fill their shoes. That's odd, because I know there's a few very good new writers who have potential to be excellent, but their fics have got off to a rocky start. I think all of us writers need to start giving it our all! I think Ada's theory's probably right, more or less, there will be periods of no huge, memorable fics, then some will come again ... wow it's just like a prophecy :D:D

In case you haven't noticed, everyone here is trying to fill their shoes. They just need time and practice. Everyone here has the potential to write the next "legacy fics". Have a little faith in them. They write to improve themselves.

Dragonfree
11th August 2004, 10:16 AM
Well, if people want legacy fics, they'd better go and read the non-legacy ones right now! The reason there aren't new legacy fics is that people stay glued to the legacy fics and refuse to actually make a new one. The readers make the legacy fics; they are legacy fics because everybody's read them. To be honest, I haven't read any of the legacy fics. Not Lisa the Legend (although I am now since I decided I could review it), not Electric Buggy to Victory, not The Emerald League, only the part of Lapras Valley High that is in the archive (where is the darn rest of it?)... But seriously, I agree with Iveechan, Jewel Eyes is a wonderful fic, but absolutely unappreciated, because people stare at the legacy fics and refuse to see anything else.

Go and read if you want new legacies, people.

strewth
13th August 2004, 02:34 PM
I see your point, Chris, I've noticed the lack of so-called "Legacy" fics too ... and Tara's right, ever since all the big names left, things have gone downhill ... I don't think many people here would still remember Dragon King, Sooty, Tima, BBP, MR, mew_ryuu, Toge, Tyger, Andy Newer, and heaps more that I missed. And their fics ... SAI, The Azure League, The League, Love and Sacrifice (it was huge!)... and many more.

I believe you forgot one, Gavin: I am Mewtwo. That was an awesome (if short...) fanfic. I was a huge fan of The Azure League, unfortunately I never got to finish it...

I have noticed that a few really good fics tend to overshadow other good fics or the ones with a lot of potential. I guess it's better than a few years ago when the board was cluttered with half-ass attempts at writing, so much so that people stuck to a few fics and ignored others because they had bad titles, etc.

PS100
13th August 2004, 05:24 PM
Personally, I think this hype about writing "Legacy Fics" is what's doing away with the great "pillars," as Chris described them. What needs to happen is people need to stop trying to write "legacy fics" and outdo everyone else and just write for the fun of it. There's always gonna be some better author on the board than you, at some point or another, so it's pointless to try and outdo people... You just need to write for you and for the readers. That's what makes a good fic turn into a legacy.

In any case, things will renew themselves. Just because "the pillars are crumbling" now doesn't mean that they won't be rebuilt. Things have a way of naturally replacing, and fanfics are no different. Read as many fics as you can... and maybe, just maybe, you'll stumble upon another legacy. Eventually one will come up, and the pillars will be back.

PS

Mewfour
13th August 2004, 05:59 PM
It's like a machine, IMHO. Old gear gets worn out, new gear gets put back in, machine keeps running.