PDA

View Full Version : Poll of the week - week beginning 8th August

Chris 2.1
8th August 2004, 09:49 AM
Whee, here I am. Time for another wee pollamajiggybobthingwhichhey,you'renotevenreadingt hisareyoubecauseyoucan'tactuallyunderstanditandyou rattentiondisapearedwhennyougotabout9lettersintoth isword.

ANYWAY

What rating do you prefer to read in fanfiction?

This is like U, PG, and I forget the rest. So You vote by selecting an option from the Britometer™

This post, and the postee, were both deciphered from crop circles

Edit: You will find that generally, you find little more than 13, but this doesn't apply for these boards only, maybe you read 18+ stories or something...

Edit#2: If you're one of those people who read a fic and is interested in the other factors of it, as a pose to the rating and amount of sex/death/fork-deaths/violence/swearing, then jus specifiy in the thread and click any old box.
Credits: Mr Pikachu.

Tainted
8th August 2004, 04:23 PM
The more mature a fic can be, the better. As long as it's not overdone, I'm perfectly fine with reading the occasional sex scene, or whatever the hell may come. I don't particularily read a fic just for the awesome sex scenes, or anything, but it can definately add to a fic, showing a certain unbreakable bond between two characters.
As long as there isn't random banging every chapter, I'm perfectly okay with it.

As far as violence goes: the more brutal, the better.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

mr_pikachu
8th August 2004, 05:05 PM
I took the first option, simply because you didn't have a choice for, "I'll read anything as long as it's good." That's my answer to you. As long as it's a quality piece I'll read it, regardless of the age range it's meant for.

Captain Pringle
8th August 2004, 06:09 PM
I picked option 2. ^_^ I do like maturity in fics, but I don't think at all that fics have to resort to violence or swearing to attain be "mature." So I figured option 2 would be a good place to cast my vote. =)

PS100
8th August 2004, 06:16 PM
Probably anything up to 15+. The description for 18+ makes it seem a little over-the-edge, and that's not what makes a fic good. Violence is very good, IMHO, because it adds to a fic, but you need to balance it with dialogue and other kinds of drama.

PS

ChaosPocketed
8th August 2004, 06:50 PM
I dont really browse fics by their "maturity level". It really, REALLY doesn't matter. I guess I do think that gratuitous sex or violence isn't what I seek out, but I'll pretty much read anything.

I voted PG, though. Just because (even if it was joke) the description for universal was "Universally Lame" :lol: . I'm not big into Barney. A certain amount of maturity is never a bad thing.

mistysakura
8th August 2004, 07:18 PM
Hmm, this is a bit of a weird poll; I personally don't know anyone who reads stuff becase of its rating. I think that a lot of complexiity and maturity can be achieved without a shred of violence, swearing, or sex. So, AI live to read complex and mature fic. Not neccessarily with those bits in them.

On a side note, I chose PG, just because U fics usually don't have much depth and 15's starting to head towards violence and swearing for the heck of it, as opposed to for the need of it. Of course the rating doesn't actually influence anything; just by observation it seems to happen.

Dragonfree
10th August 2004, 08:53 PM
Well, I usually see the American rating system (G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17), and out of that I'm usually more likely to click a fic title that says "PG-13" than "G", just because I like death. Since you put "death" in 15+, I'll vote that. For me, fics have to be seriously good to make up for it if nobody dies in them.

achooxp
11th August 2004, 12:00 AM
I chose PG, though rating often doesn't stop me from reading a fic, though it's a rare occasion when something actually gets me to read a fic. Why PG? Well, I find that at this yet amateur level of writing, sometimes authors like to plug in violence, gore, sex, etc. just for the sake of having it there. As with all things in writing, these things have their place, but they're not meant to be used trivially, or as stuffing for your fic. For the most part, I enjoy a read that makes use of its scenes tastefully and powerfully.

Gavin Luper
11th August 2004, 03:56 AM
It doesn't really matter what rating a fic has, doesn't ever mean that it's good or bad. Personally, fics of 15 and 18+ are, a lot of the time, excuses for boring tirades of violence, sex, swearing and death. PG would be where I'd like to read ... a mature writing style, good plot and good characters could all be found here quite nicely.

PancaKe
11th August 2004, 08:17 AM
I chose PG, just because it was the middle ground. *shrugs* what can I say, I'm not fussy.

Mewfour
11th August 2004, 03:05 PM
<Paul Heyman mode ON>

GOOOORE!! GOOOOORE!!!! GOOOOOOOORE!!!!!!

<Paul Heyman mode OFF>

The Decapitated Mole
11th August 2004, 03:24 PM
Heh, I voted for 15, because otherwise it's just too damn immature. [That damn was to show... emphasis or something] PG 13 is good... actually, I probably voted for that. It was a few days ago, so I'm not too clear on it. Anything above PG13. Why?, you may ask. Well, because of this--I haven't enjoyed a PG, G, or U movie [except Shrek and Toy Story 1] since I was probably 8 or 9. And every time I've tried a fic with less that PG rating, it always comes off as either dull, immature, or corny.

That's my 2 cents.

o_0
jimm