PDA

View Full Version : Hmm...trouble designing dual-purpose team...

Poryhedron
11th August 2004, 11:45 PM
I'm planning out an ingame team to use for both battles and contests. I want pokémon that exemplify the qualities of coolness, toughness, cuteness, beauty and intelligence, and that are diverse enough to make a good team for taking on the Elite Four. Please note that, on the contest side, I am not merely looking for pokémon who can get superior movesets for a contest type. I want pokémon that you can just look at and think, now that looks like a cool/tough/cute/beautiful/smart pokémon.
So far I've chosen Blaziken for coolness, Hariyama for toughness, Bellossom for cuteness, Gardevoir for beauty, and...here I dead-end. I'm having trouble finding a good Smart pokémon...most of the best smart pokémon are psychics, and I already have Gardevoir. I already have two Fighting-types, I don't need two Psychic-types as well, considering this team will be facing off against Hoenn's toughest trainers as well as contest groomers.
Can anyone offer suggestions? Is there a non-Psychic pokémon you feel deserves to be recognized for its intelligence? Or do you think I can do better in contests and battles than the four I've chosen thus far? I'm not interested in using a Milotic for Beauty; Feebas is simply too annoying to deal with and I can't get the best Pokéblock Berries until I've already beaten the Elite Four with this team.

Ferilian
12th August 2004, 10:28 AM
You could do Castform for Smartness. The sunny-beaming set would be perfect with Bellossom and Blaziken, and no water types on the team. Also, you could change Gardevoir to Alakazam and put him in for smart, then have a water type like Milotic, Seaking, or Gorebyss for beauty. Good luck, I've tried doing good movesets for contests and battles, but haven't had much luck. I usually end up being bad in both areas :/.

Puaru
12th August 2004, 01:30 PM
Maybe Ninetales for smartness or beauty?

Poryhedron
12th August 2004, 04:16 PM
You could do Castform for Smartness. The sunny-beaming set would be perfect with Bellossom and Blaziken, and no water types on the team.
Sounds interesting. I guess Castform's ability to manipulate the weather qualifies it as a rather smart pokémon. I'll have to look into the Sunnybeam set, though...if I were just going by my own tastes, my preferred ingame set for Castform would be Sunny Day/Rain Dance/Hail/Weather Ball just because I like being able to use super-effective attacks on anything. That might not work so well for contests, though...I still need to work out what movesets would be good for these guys.

Also, you could change Gardevoir to Alakazam and put him in for smart, then have a water type like Milotic, Seaking, or Gorebyss for beauty. Good luck, I've tried doing good movesets for contests and battles, but haven't had much luck. I usually end up being bad in both areas :/.
Well, as I've said, I'm not interested in Milotic, and no matter how good a Beauty moveset it can put together, I just don't see beauty in Seaking's gaping face and dark splotches. Gorebyss I may consider, though. Thanks for the two great ideas!

Maybe Ninetales for smartness or beauty?
Permit me to quote myself, with minor alteration. "I already have two Fighting-types, I don't need two Fire-types as well."

Puaru
12th August 2004, 06:20 PM
*Scrolls up and sees Blazy*

Heh sorry my bad, overlooked that one.
Swellow is a rather good one for smartness.

Music Dragon
13th August 2004, 03:32 AM
Actually, Castform's Sunny Day (and Hail as well) is a beauty attack. Rain Dance is a tough attack. And Weather Ball... I don't know, but even if it's a Smart attack, only one won't help it too much. TMs would definitely help here, but just so you know, Weather attacks are of no use. Castform should work better as a Beauty Contestant, IMO.

Gagome
13th August 2004, 05:30 AM
How about a Ghost Pokemon like Dusclops or Banette for Smart Contests? Moves like Destiny Bond, Shadow Ball, Toxic, Night Shade are all great Smart Contest Moves, especially Destiny Bond. And both Pokemon are not to bad for ingame usage.
True they don't really look very smart ....

What about Kecleon? With Rock Tomb, Substitute, Faint Attack and Psychic as possible Smart Contest moves?

Poryhedron
13th August 2004, 11:18 AM
Actually, Castform's Sunny Day (and Hail as well) is a beauty attack. Rain Dance is a tough attack. And Weather Ball... I don't know, but even if it's a Smart attack, only one won't help it too much. TMs would definitely help here, but just so you know, Weather attacks are of no use. Castform should work better as a Beauty Contestant, IMO.
Yeah, I'm seeing that now that I'm working on potential move lists. I may go with the Gorebyss/Alakazam combo instead...as per my image restriction, I really can't see myself using Castform in a Beauty content because it's flat-out not beautiful.

What about Kecleon? With Rock Tomb, Substitute, Faint Attack and Psychic as possible Smart Contest moves?
Well, Kecleon is famous around here for being outsmarted by opponents taking advantage of its Color Change ability. I'll keep it in mind if I can't figure out good movesets for Gorebyss and Alakazam, though.

Okay, this is me being a good boy and editing my last post instead of posting twice in a row.
I just bothered to do a weakness analysis of this team (something I should have done before) and noticed I have a 3x weakness to Flying, so I'm now planning on replacing Hariyama with an Aggron (it's bizarre how often I end up with Aggron on my team, given how frustrated I get with the low-accuracy moves it tends to learn...guess I should stock up on X Accuracies.)