PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] Discussion: NYPC moves

GoldDraconian
10th February 2003, 08:11 PM
Long, long ago, a secret group of RBY players met in a dark, hidden room with no more than a wet candle for light. Hooded and cloaked, these mysterious figures met around a table to discuss a pressing issue.

They had heard rumors of a new Pokemon game coming, known as "Gold/Silver". They knew, as I did, that Nintendo may be prepared to allow people to trade between these new games and the old Chromatics. They knew that GameFreak may attempt to stir things up, to break the metagame that had been firmly established.

After a long (30 second) debate, they came to this conclusion: any tradebacked moves would be ruinous to the world, and that anyone who attempted to use them was an agent of Satan trying to steal human souls. Satisfied, the council broke up, never to meet again- their work was done.

Alright, the masses of Chromatic players are unlikely to ever accept GSC tradeback moves- we've established that much. But what, my friends, about New York Pokemon Center gift moves?

Yes, they come up highlighted in purple on Stadium. You know what? The same thing happens on Stadium 2. NYPC moves are accepted by all but a rejected few members of the GSC community. Anyone who uses Stadium as an argument should seriously reconsider whether they're worth the oxygen they're consuming. For anybody who knows a little about GSC, Stadium claims that Smeargle with Baton Pass is also illegal, even though it can be obtained using perfectly legal (though rather unusual) processes. My point is that Stadium is full of crap and knows not what it says.

From one point of view, the NYPC guys are just more gifts, like Surfing Pikachu and Amnesia Golduck- and anybody who bans the Stadium-influenced guys is pretty stupid or else is playing an absolute purist R/B game where Mirror Beach Pokemon and pre-Poisoning are also legal.... and there's no Species Clause.

On the other hand, Surfing Raichu and Amnesia Golduck are nowhere near as big an effect on the game as, say, Amnesia Drowzee or Growth Eeveelutions (go ahead, read it again: I'll wait. Jolteon can now Grow up, as can Vaporeon. As for Flareon, you might as well just Focus Energy instead, unless you're planning something special). This larger impact can be grounds for making them illegal, but I'd also like to see anyone using that excuse to say move than just that, of course.

Of course, you could also agree with what the secret council said about GSC tradebacks before they knew what was changing and just blindly say "NYPC is run by Satan wtf", but that won't get you anywhere as to the discussion aspect of this thread. What I'm looking for is intelligent commenting, discussing, perhaps even debating as to whether or not the NYPC moves should be accepted in general battles or not. I can see both sides of this argument, so I think for the moment I'll leave the discussion up to the people who spend more time playing this game than I do, who are likely to persuade a larger number of people and perhaps put the changes into perspective a little better than I can, spending the majority of my time in the metal world as I do.

Discuss.

347Studboy
11th February 2003, 05:17 PM
To be perfectly honest, I don't know why anybody would even play in RBY in the first place.

But if they were to do so, I don't see the reason for not using the NYPC moves... so long as they're using GSC moves in the first place. Obviously, if they don't want to use those moves anyway, then there's no point in arguing in favor of the NYPC moves.

Feelingsad
11th February 2003, 07:53 PM
People would play RBY because unlike GSC, battles end.

GSC battles are ruined by it's excessively defensive nature.. in RBY every move counts, and battles are decided by battling skill and predictions rather than team building and mistakes.
Some people say this makes RBY too much decided by luck, but IMO RBY has less luck than GSC, since luck events happen a lot less often, and therefore are less evenly distributed.

As for NYPC moves, I think in any battle with tradebacks, then NYPC moves really have to be used, but a lovely kiss Snorlax is a very, very scary thing.. It's by far the most significant tradeback we have had so far.

I think your efforts to change the standard mode of battling are misguided, very few people do still play rby, and essentially, the standard mode of battling is what it is because that is what people are used to.
It's true, I don't like tradebacks much though.. just out of fear of even more freeze aimed battling strategies, and the fact that amnesia users are so amazingly affected by luck, anybody can win with them, but I can't use them, because anybody can lose with them even easier. Unless I use counter amnesia strategies, but then I would be vulnerable against non-amnesia users..

NYPC Lax would be interesting.. I just signed up for a tradebacks tournament at Gamefaqs RBY board, and although it doesn't seem to have picked up a great deal of interest, we probably should get something going..

Have a nice day.

Bob54321
21st February 2003, 08:30 AM
I want the Snorlax with Splash!!!