PDA

View Full Version : American Yu-Gi-Oh! Movie: Proving we aren't HALF as good as Japan at this stuff!

EVme15
13th August 2004, 11:45 AM
http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2004/08/13/145yu_gi_oh146_stresses_marketing_ploy_over_plot/

A little article my brother pointed out to me in the local newspaper today.

*tsk tsk* See? This is why I was afraid. America should never be allowed to do this ever again.

Oh, wait. We shouldn't have done it in the first place.

Silly marketers. Anime is from Japan.

legendary fisherman1
13th August 2004, 12:48 PM
Never believe reviewers. Ever.

They completely ignore whether the movie accomplished its goal(in this movies case, making children happy), and rather make their reviews biased on their own interests. In other words(I could go on and on, but I'll make this short) movie reveiws suck. Dont read them.

Rudoku
13th August 2004, 12:52 PM
what
But this is a review on Yu-Gi-Oh, the freakin' MOVIE, made by 4Kids. This review was dead on.

legendary fisherman1
13th August 2004, 12:55 PM
I say this before, I'll say it again. If they will not focus on at least the good points of a movie then they arent woth reading. Opinions + On Reviews = Stay away. Far far away.

In other news, incidentally did you know that the Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh writers wrote the Movie? 4-Kids only financed it.

Riachu64
13th August 2004, 01:37 PM
In other news, incidentally did you know that the Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh writers wrote the Movie? 4-Kids only financed it.

And then proceded to edit the hell out of it, I bet.

(I haven't seen the Japanese or the American version of this movie *doesn't plan too*, but knowing 4kids...)

Roy Karrde
13th August 2004, 03:30 PM
Well I knew that this movie was going to be bad, and sadly I am stuck watching it tomarrow. The thing that I hate most about this movie, is not that it sorta screws with the time line, or the bad voice acting, but that it caused the animation house that does Yuugiou to split it's resources between the movie, the series, and the new series Genex, meaning that some very key episodes of the Memory arc that is airing right now in Japan are drawn very very horrible and look like they were done in a rush.

Rudoku
13th August 2004, 03:34 PM
It doesn't matter, as the first Japanese YGO movie sucked, too.

Roarkiller
14th August 2004, 01:46 AM
Wait, r u guys talking bout the dub, or an entirely different movie?

Yoh Asakura
14th August 2004, 04:21 AM
Wait, r u guys talking bout the dub, or an entirely different movie?

Keep up RK :D

There was a new American YGO Movie releasedm. It's not the same as the old first series YGO Movie involving REBD.

Last Exile
14th August 2004, 06:57 AM
Anime is meant to be made in Japan. You couldn't have put it any better, Kayla. ;)

Razola
14th August 2004, 09:58 AM
Anime is meant to be made in Japan. You couldn't have put it any better, Kayla. ;)
The Animatrix proved you wrong like, a year ago. Barring the first movie, it's better than the trilogy.

Animelee
14th August 2004, 10:46 PM
This movie was actually made entirely in Japanese first, but 4Kids dubbed and released it before Japan did, for some reason. Mike Pollock, one of 4Kids' voice actors, said ToonZone.net a few weeks ago that they dubbed the movie from Japanese.

Last Exile
14th August 2004, 10:50 PM
The Animatrix proved you wrong like, a year ago. Barring the first movie, it's better than the trilogy.

It was made by Studio 4C. They're Japanese. Get your facts straight first.

Razola
14th August 2004, 11:10 PM
It was made by Studio 4C. They're Japanese. Get your facts straight first.
Yeah, and it was all arranged by the Wachoskis and their damn franchise.

EDIT: And what's with this title. Half as good at what stuff? Americans can't turn a shitty franchise into a movie? Oh noes!

Dark Scizor
15th August 2004, 07:50 AM

Yeah, and it was all arranged by the Wachoskis and their damn franchise.

Arranging and financing are slightly different to the actual production of it. The Wachowski's didn't make the Animatrix (the anime, not the idea) themselves :p

Yoh Asakura
15th August 2004, 10:00 AM
It's not that bad of a movie. It's better then the shitty pokemon movies.

Sabakyuu
15th August 2004, 05:21 PM
I somehow want to see it now although I have no interest in yugioh anymore. I heard on the radio that it came in fourth for box office sales or watever, the guy couldn't pronounce the name either >_<.

The Muffin Man
15th August 2004, 05:41 PM
I don't need to read one post to know EVMe is an ignorant fangirl as usual.

Rockos Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, Angry Beavers and Invader ZIM are far superior to any anime. Same with Futurama, Family Guy, Simpsons...

And if by "this stuff" you mean anime, to be fair anime is short for Japanimation, so technically we can't do it period.

God. You kids need to learn shit before you talk...

EDIT - Why oh why did I read the posts.

Look. All of you. Shut up. Anime directors helped create the animatrix as did anime artists, etc. It's still based off an American idea, made in America, technically BY americans(since the Wachowski's are the ones who made the whole idea)

Like I said. Learn before you shoot your mouth off.

The Muffin Man
15th August 2004, 05:43 PM

And Raz says it less insulting than me.

Thanks alot, Raz!

...ass.

Little_Pikachu
15th August 2004, 05:47 PM
Oh, come on. Has anyone actually seen the YGO movie? I thought it was pretty good ^_^ Prior to that, the last movie I went to the cinema to see was The Bourne Supremacy and I was nearly asleep though a lot of that, I wasn't bored by YGO at all, it kept my attention and amused me and that's all I can ask from any movie :)

Yoh Asakura
15th August 2004, 06:15 PM
Oh, come on. Has anyone actually seen the YGO movie? I thought it was pretty good ^_^ Prior to that, the last movie I went to the cinema to see was The Bourne Supremacy and I was nearly asleep though a lot of that, I wasn't bored by YGO at all, it kept my attention and amused me and that's all I can ask from any movie :)

The Bourne Supremacy was always gonna be crap since The Bourne Ident was.
I got the YGO movie on DVD this morning, which is why I said it's not bad.

Of course most people on this board are gonna flame and spam about it. If it doesn't have hentai, comedy or profanity involved then it sucks according to them.

AVP is awesome though, imho.

Little_Pikachu
15th August 2004, 06:18 PM
AVP is awesome though, imho.
PG13/12A though I hear? It's not right... You can't have an Alien or Pred movie designed to be suitable to be seen by 8 year olds ;_;

Roy Karrde
15th August 2004, 06:23 PM
I saw it yesterday with my little brother I guess I should go through the pros and cons for the movie.

Pro
~They kept in the Grey/Silver lifepoint counter from the Japanese version
~They kept the cards in their original form * Too bad they have to change them on tv *
~They kept Anzu's skirt the same as the original
~They had Pegasis drink wine and not grape juice or what ever he was drinking
~They allowed Atemu to get stabbed

Con
~The movie looked rushed in the animation department, alot of the time it looked like cut scenes straight out of the computer game where the character is talking and you have a neon flashing background.
~The ending was a real cop out and just added more salt into the wound of a bad movie
~ The pacing in this movie was horrible, there would be stuff to draw you in, but the dialogue would be so horrible that it would keep you from fully enjoying the movie.
~Now worst of all, this movie caused the development house to split it's resources and caused a certain death in the Memory Saga to look like crap, I dont care how good this movie was, becuase of them ruining the animation of this "certain person's" death scene, I can never forgive them.

All in all I didnt like this movie, they could have done better and with out the Duelest Kingdom friendship crap.

Yoh Asakura
15th August 2004, 06:24 PM
Well that's a rather lame rating =\ it should be a 15 atleast. Even the teaser of the site gives it that. I mean something getting impaled and then lifted in the air as it's blood drips is a 15 to me.

October 10th it's released her, August 13th it was out in the US. Why do we get it 2 months later?

It is a good movie though. I'm pretty biased though since I've always liked Predator.

Little_Pikachu
15th August 2004, 06:29 PM
Well that's a rather lame rating =\ it should be a 15 atleast. Even the teaser of the site gives it that. I mean something getting impaled and then lifted in the air as it's blood drips is a 15 to me.

October 10th it's released her, August 13th it was out in the US. Why do we get it 2 months later?

It is a good movie though. I'm pretty biased though since I've always liked Predator.

10th? I hear 22nd and I work in a cinema. A friend tells me that because it's not violence to humans they can give it such a low rating, because apparently fantasy creatures don't count. That's why in LOTR they could show orcs being hacked up all they wanted and keep a PG but in say, Star Wars they had to remove a scene because someone was headbutted! Eeehhh...

Anyway, sorry for the derailment, people who wanted to talk YGO ^_^

Yoh Asakura
15th August 2004, 06:39 PM
Well they slapped an 18 on Alien =\ and that doesn't have much graphical voilence from humans.

HavoX
15th August 2004, 06:52 PM
PG13/12A though I hear? It's not right... You can't have an Alien or Pred movie designed to be suitable to be seen by 8 year olds ;_;

oh thats nonsense

remember the good ol' days when Terminators 1 & 2 was famous? I never saw these movies until they aired on TV for the first time on USA (probably late last year or early this year, I can't remember), but even though both movies were R-rated, they were so popular, action figures and other toys based on the Terminator series became a hit for kids

getting back on topic though, I've noticed movie critics weren't real kind to Yu-Gi-Oh the Movie heh http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/icons/icon19.gif

as the New York Times would say, "It's a commercial with a ticket price" http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

homeofmew
15th August 2004, 07:19 PM
hehe very amusing, yes all yu gi oh people be bored and go back to pokemon i curse you! anyway the us is at episode 143 or something and there is only 199 episondes in all then it is all over. Then all those YuGiOh people will come crawling back to pokemon and they will want forgiveness muhahahaha....

Yoh Asakura
15th August 2004, 07:26 PM
Japan are on episode 218.

Razola
15th August 2004, 09:22 PM
Arranging and financing are slightly different to the actual production of it. The Wachowski's didn't make the Animatrix (the anime, not the idea) themselves :p
...and 4Kids didn't really contribute to YGO besides overseeing and financing.

See the parallel?

EDIT: AvP was decent, though only really worth it for the one brawl.

The Muffin Man
15th August 2004, 10:50 PM
...and 4Kids didn't really contribute to YGO besides overseeing and financing.

See the parallel?

EDIT: AvP was decent, though only really worth it for the one brawl.

Really. 3 Preds, countless aliens...one real fight scene?

Razola
15th August 2004, 10:58 PM
Yeah, a Pred and Alien go one on one for a bit.

After that the movie kinda fell apart.

piKachuuu
16th August 2004, 12:31 AM
Oh well... We aren't getting the YGO movie, didn't get the Poké movies either... -_- And they don't sell it on DVD/VCD either... [Oh yeah if you live in singapore and you know where to get these movies tell me!!]

Anyway, I kind of like YGO better than Pokémon... Poké is getting a bit stagnantated... and I HATE Team Rocket! They're in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE!! [prepares to be bashed by Poké Fans]

Sorry for being a traitor...

Roarkiller
16th August 2004, 09:56 AM
Oh well... We aren't getting the YGO movie, didn't get the Poké movies either... -_- And they don't sell it on DVD/VCD either... [Oh yeah if you live in singapore and you know where to get these movies tell me!!]

Anyway, I kind of like YGO better than Pokémon... Poké is getting a bit stagnantated... and I HATE Team Rocket! They're in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE!! [prepares to be bashed by Poké Fans]

Sorry for being a traitor...

U must be looking in the wet market then. Cuz most video shops stock them. Or f u prefer DVDs, just head down to HMV.

Sorry for the interruption. U guys may continue with the senseless argument about whether YGO is crappy or ultra crappy now.

GreenShirT
16th August 2004, 01:46 PM
Well they slapped an 18 on Alien =\ and that doesn't have much graphical voilence from humans.

Yes...only an alien bursting out of a mans chest in a 2 minute long scene, a man(android) having its head bashed in, people almost being murdered etc etc etc. Have you even seen Alien? o_0 And then of course you have to remember that certificates were alot harsher on films back then but I agree to be truely great AVP would have had to been an 18 and being a shitty 12a means so much "good stuff" that they could have added would have to be left out. Look at how gorey and bloody the director of avp made Event Horizon when he made that?! Was capable of so much more :<

But anyway, as for the YGO movie I thought it was pretty awesome although not so much a movie as a 90min duel really but hey I don't mind it still rocked!

Blackjack Gabbiani
16th August 2004, 05:20 PM
I've heard very good things about Pegasus in the movie.

And you know, with everyone talking about the animation differences...I'm a DIGIMON fan. The animation is CRAP in those movies (Where did everyone's noses go?), and they were still cool.

Prodigy
16th August 2004, 09:17 PM
It didn't take much for the Animatrix to be better than either Matrix Resuffix.

I might see AVP when it comes out on DVD. If someone else rents it.

On topic, the Yu-Gi-Oh movie has 0% on the Tomatometer with 40 reviews in. Even the Pokemon movies at least scored in the double-digits.

Crazy
17th August 2004, 05:57 AM
Well what did you expect? A movie with a deep plot,great voice acting,and a good ending? I mean it is a CARD GAME PEOPLE. They added that crappy "frindship" bs and that makes the show cheesy itself. I just don't see how you could make a good movie,when people use cards to fight battles that would normally have you fist fighting.

Sabakyuu
18th August 2004, 06:04 PM
Well what did you expect? A movie with a deep plot,great voice acting,and a good ending? I mean it is a CARD GAME PEOPLE. They added that crappy "frindship" bs and that makes the show cheesy itself. I just don't see how you could make a good movie,when people use cards to fight battles that would normally have you fist fighting.

I for one actually think the voice acting was great, regardless of what everyone says about yugi's voice. The power in yugi's voice sound hella cool and marik sounds exactly like the twisted freak he should be. The problem is the friendship stuff that they added in and changing and taking all the names that are offending to little kids.:D

GreenShirT
18th August 2004, 07:03 PM
When was Marik in the movie? Did I miss him in the first few minutes I missed? :<

DarkTemplarZ
20th August 2004, 07:26 PM
Let's just say that right now I'm even more embarrassed to be an American and even more embarrassed to be a fan of the anime... Movie critics may suck but on Yahoo Movies it has a freaking D+ from the critics. I haven't seen any movie lower than a C or C+ except Gigli. That and it is so utterly lame and the mythology is so bad it makes the Hercules series seem like the script was written by Dan Brown. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but I was still expecting something consistent with the anime. Too much to ask from 4Kids I guess. One thing's for sure, whenever I want to complain about the 4Kids dubs, I'll remember this movie and see how much worse it could be...

Light_Togetic
20th August 2004, 11:08 PM
Ack! *dies from having to read all of the Yugioh-bashing/arguing*

Erm, I'm a bit confused... Did 4Kids make this movie? Or did they influence it? Or did they just get to release it first, and it was the Japanese that made it? Meh, I'll just wait for it to come out on video and then rent it...

Personally, the only real problem I've ever had with Yugioh was that fact that episodes from it are so freakin' repetitive! I swear they take twice as long to prove a point, or finish something than necessary. And they say things like five times over before any action happens... Oh, and I can barely stand Joey's voice... (Not that I don't like Joey; he's actually my favorite character...) Um, okay, before I get a house thrown on me from a crowd of angry people, I'd better be quiet. ^^;;

Pichu
29th August 2004, 01:04 AM

You can get it thru the internet from suprnova ... you need bitTorrent tho'.