PDA

View Full Version : ~*Poll: No one is safe anymore :no:

Crystal Mew
13th August 2004, 07:13 PM
I was flipping through the channels, and I stopped on the weather channel, where of course they were talking about hurricane charley, so I thought of a poll :oh:

1. What natural disasters could threaten your country/state?

~*~

1. well, for me there have been tornados, but its not frequent. We do however have really bad fires every year :no:

kainashi
13th August 2004, 07:16 PM
1. blizzard and the rare tornado.

Captain Pringle
13th August 2004, 07:25 PM
Earthquakes and brushfires (southern California).

Wolfsong
13th August 2004, 07:41 PM

Where i live, we mainly get tornados . My first year at UTM, at the end my second semester there (around may), I had to stop at my granparents neightbor's storm shelter, becuase there was a tornado between where i was driving from and where i was going to (home). I don't like them, but like it or not that doesn't stop them ^^; and thats only the most recent example i could think of ^^;

Silver Ledian
13th August 2004, 07:50 PM
Since I live in Ireland, we're not really subject to any natural disasters thankfully :)

We're not at the edge of plate boundaries - so it's unlikely that we feel the tremors of earthquakes or experience lava flows or anything - and our climate isn't warm enough for hurricanes to form (or tornados to develop). We've been getting the tail of hurricane Alex recently, so we've had a fair bit of rain, but apart from that, the strongest weather hazards we get are gale-force winds, heavy rain and occasionally some snow/thunderstorms.

RedStarWarrior
13th August 2004, 08:02 PM
Tornadoes have come through my backyard and of course hurricanes threaten me. Also, WPM could decide to visit Virginia someday and that would be devastating.

BTW, why did you number it when you only have one?

phaedrus
13th August 2004, 08:07 PM
1. What natural disasters could threaten your country/state? None, really. Ohio is just boring as hell, like usual.

EDIT: Chance of flood, etc.

cd
13th August 2004, 08:07 PM
the only natural major danger in australia really is bushfires and that's only out towards the country. there is no present concern of a natural disaster occuring where i live.

Agent Elrond
13th August 2004, 09:45 PM

Lemme see, forest/brush fires, earthquakes (rare) and bigass river flooding. Fortunately, the latter two don't happen very often, and we only get really bad fires every two years or so. However, we do get regular bad fires every fricking summer. Darn California weather!

nightcrow
13th August 2004, 09:49 PM
1. Hurricanes.. that tropical storm, Bonnie, only missed my town by only 30 or so miles. It was kinda scary @_@

PS100
13th August 2004, 10:22 PM
1) We can get blizzards, floods, hurricanes(damned Agnes in '72!), brushfires, the occasional tornado... We get a bit of it all in PA. Worst blizzard on record was in '93(I remember getting buried in snow when I was out playing during the blizzard... easy to do when you're three), and both wrst flood and worst hurricane was Agnes. Hit us, went out to sea, then turned around and came back. Smashed us pretty good, to my understanding. We get brushfires, too, but nothing like California's...

PS

Aipom Of Doom
13th August 2004, 10:34 PM
Uh.. Nothing too bad. Severe rainstorms would be the worst... Though we DID have a tornado in my town earlier this year for the first time in recorded history :oh:.

mr_pikachu
14th August 2004, 12:57 AM
Let's see...

Tornadoes, tornadoes, thunderstorms, tornadoes, hail, tornadoes, tornadoes, flash floods, tornadoes, rampant flocks of parasitic bugs, tornadoes, tornadoes, and tornadoes. Sometimes it's really not fun to like in Oklahoma. Can you tell we're in the middle of the North American Tornado Alley? Right. In. The. MIDDLE. We have one every other day in the summer. I've gotten computers fried more than one time because of them. :mad2:

P.S. 2500th post! Woohoo! :D

Anju
14th August 2004, 10:13 AM
I live in Virginia. We have tornadoes and hurricanes, but they are usually mild compared to some of the ones you hear about on the news. Last year, we had hurricane Isabelle, and that was pretty bad, but not as bad as the one that happened in Florida. We can also get blizzards, but rarely. There was one in 1996, I think.

en0miz
14th August 2004, 10:54 AM
Mainly blizzards/really bad snow storms, but those are fun. I remember a few years ago when NY was hit with the remains of Hurricane Floyd, but it was like any regular rain storm. We're supposed to get hit with what's left of Charley tomorrow, but we're only expecting 2-4 inches of rain. *shrug*

Yoh Asakura
14th August 2004, 11:00 AM
Floods are the only thing that get's the Uk, and that's always down south.

abunaidesu
14th August 2004, 11:54 AM
earthquakes.. news people predict we might be getting another one soon ^_^

Chris
14th August 2004, 02:03 PM
The worst we ever get is a torrential rainstorm every now and then. We did have an earthquake once. Nothing big though, it only measured 4.3 on the Richter scale. I slept right through it. 8)

Zalika
14th August 2004, 05:41 PM
Horrible drought, and the rare flood. Also terrible earthquakes.

~Zalika :scared:

midnightangel
15th August 2004, 04:06 AM
I live in Florida and this state experiences heavy thunderstorms--some of which produce tornadoes--and since we are surrounded by water on almost all sides (and stick out like a sore thumb :tongue: ) we have the unfortunate experience of dealing with hurricanes as well

The Muffin Man
15th August 2004, 05:52 PM
Blizzard, tornado, hurricane, earthquake...;( It sucks being a northern coast state...

Kris
15th August 2004, 05:57 PM
Yeh we had the same earthquake as chris, but was too small to affect us down in the depths of the south west!

We get flooding but plymouth is on top of a big hill:D So no real problems here.

Although there was the storm of 1987, that was big!

youdontknowme
15th August 2004, 08:53 PM
Our country (United States) has earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, and hurricanes.
My state is in danger of earthquakes. (Southern California [Los Angeles])
Someday, the people in Southern California will all die from that one fault that's building up pressure.

shazza
20th August 2004, 09:24 PM
-probably just an earthquake. we are quite lucky.

Jay
1st September 2004, 12:38 AM
1. bushfires probably. sometimes there are reports of earthquakes and tornadoes, but very rarely do they cause any damage.