PDA

View Full Version : Newest Anime Off the 4Kids Chopping Block

EVme15
14th August 2004, 10:57 AM
"You pick it, we play it!"

I'm pretty sure most of you are aware of the unfortunate licencing of One Piece and Tokyo Mew Mew to 4Kids (as well as the F-Zero anime, but I don't think I read about that one first here). Well, yet again, fears are justified.

One Piece didn't undergo a title change, but at least a few names have been altered. Voices are horrible. Just. Plain. Horrible. I am afraid to watch this one.

Tokyo Mew Mew is not Hollywood Mew Mew, as previously thought; rather, Mew Mew Power. I'm not sure which title is worse. In any case, the voices don't seem to be that bad. Every single character name has been changed, however...

F-Zero GP Legend doesn't look like it's going to be bad (in relation to a few of 4Kids' other happy massacres...) but I have no prior experience with this one, so I'm not the one to ask.

In case you want to see the video preview I've based these mini-summaries on, go here (http://www.foxbox.tv/promotions/youpickit/). I was thinking about putting this in the Anime Review topic, however I figured I didn't have enough to go off of, and here people can imput their own opinions.
Besides, this will probably be brought up again when these serieses start airing.

I hope that they'll at least be nice enough to release the uncut stuff eventually...

Rudoku
14th August 2004, 01:10 PM
F-Zero is going to be like Dragon Ball GT was. It was crappy in the original version, so who cares if it's crappily dubbed?

Razola
14th August 2004, 01:24 PM
Okay, the original name is TOKYO MEW MEW. At this point, it's not really a matter of good or bad, but the degree of shittiness.

One thing I've noticed about 4Kids is that the anime they get a hold of normally isn't that good in the first place. So no loss to me.

classy_cat18
14th August 2004, 02:24 PM
I am SO going import on One Piece. I don't have Fox Box over here. Anime made from games aren't that bad, but I'm still worrying about the F-Zero anime.

Blackjack Gabbiani
14th August 2004, 03:45 PM
Didn't they make a big deal about how they had reconsidered and were keeping the original name for Tokyo Mew Mew?

Last Exile
14th August 2004, 10:51 PM
Get imports. They will hack both to pieces. I heard they recently changed Tokyo Mew Mew's name again in the dubbing, so lord knows what esle is going on.

Razola
14th August 2004, 11:14 PM
You and Evme15 have to be the biggest fanboys in OA. PMSing about the title to a show. Cripes. Would Cowboy Bebop suck if it was called "MacDaddy's Chocolate Hour"? No, it would just be a kickass show with a crappy title.

THEY ARE TITLES, WHO GIVES A SHIT WHAT IT'S CALLED.

The Muffin Man
14th August 2004, 11:47 PM
You and Evme15 have to be the biggest fanboys in OA. PMSing about the title to a show. Cripes. Would Cowboy Bebop suck if it was called "MacDaddy's Chocolate Hour"? No, it would just be a kickass show with a crappy title.

THEY ARE TITLES, WHO GIVES A SHIT WHAT IT'S CALLED.

Because the title is the whole show!

Oh wait. I no it's not. Otherwise they wouldn't have an anime called Chrno anything. Chrno, as far as I know, isn't a word. Chrono is. But there's TWO O's.

The title doesn't mean shit. 4Kids doesn't butcher anime, it's usually sub-par to crappy anyway. From all I've seen, heard, and read about One Piece it's nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

Animelee
14th August 2004, 11:53 PM
It's not that they butcher the shows they get, no one really cares how the TV version is, as long as they can get the original version on DVD. They're finally doing the right thing for Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh! fans, but Pokémon and Sonic X fans seem to have the short end of the straw, and no one knows about the future for Tokyo Mew Mew and F-Zero. There's no doubt that Funi will release One Piece on DVD in its original format. I guess the demand for the more kiddy shows isn't as high as the less-kiddy shows like Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh!...

Razola
15th August 2004, 12:22 AM
I guess the demand for the more kiddy shows isn't as high as the less-kiddy shows like Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh!...
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Animelee
15th August 2004, 12:34 AM
I mean, to their fans, they're less kiddy. In fact, they're just as kiddy as Pokémon and Sonic X. ;) I was scared to say that here, because when I said it at ToonZone, the topic grew an extra two pages, filled with "proof" that it's not kiddy.

Sabakyuu
18th August 2004, 05:59 PM
I really couldn't care much about the title either unless the title had something that sounded for teenagers or adults. Cowboy bebop already sounds like a kiddie title if you were never to see what it was about. If they were to change something like hellsing to sing institute(now that is a bad title change.) But it really doesn't change much anyway. People worry too much about simple things in my opinion anyway.

Last Exile
18th August 2004, 08:25 PM
Evme15 is a fangirl, Raz! Don't you already know how much she digs the two guys from Gravitation for the obvious reason?! :D

Tokyo Mew Mew got changed to Mew Mew Power. Why, I have no idea, like everything 4Kids do.

Riachu64
19th August 2004, 02:33 AM
The title doesn't mean shit. 4Kids doesn't butcher anime, it's usually sub-par to crappy anyway. From all I've seen, heard, and read about One Piece it's nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

Then why is it one of the best selling anime and manga in Japan?

Eh, sorry, had to state that. One Piece really is good. Not in a mind blowing, 'omg, wtf, bbq, this anime is f***ing with my brain and I don't understand anything but omfg' way. It's simple, and that's why it's good.

Annnnyway, back on topic... I really feel sad for the anime dubbed by 4kids. Completely butchered. But I'm still gonna watch One Piece and see if they got some O.K. voice actors. I also wanna see what they're gonna cut. I mean, Luffy smacks the freaking crap out of Alvida in the first episode, and I wonder if they'll change that somehow.

The Muffin Man
19th August 2004, 11:52 AM
Then why is it one of the best selling anime and manga in Japan?
WOW! REALLY? THAT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!!
...They also originated alot of the crap you look down upon. Pokemon wasn't an American concept, kids. Neither was YGO. So just because the Japanese love it doesn't make it super redeemed.

Eh, sorry, had to state that. One Piece really is good. Not in a mind blowing, 'omg, wtf, bbq, this anime is f***ing with my brain and I don't understand anything but omfg' way. It's simple, and that's why it's good.
So you're upset it's getting messed with because it's simple? Sounds more like you're trying to say it's anime more geared for the "Slow american audience".

Annnnyway, back on topic... I really feel sad for the anime dubbed by 4kids. Completely butchered. But I'm still gonna watch One Piece and see if they got some O.K. voice actors. I also wanna see what they're gonna cut. I mean, Luffy smacks the freaking crap out of Alvida in the first episode, and I wonder if they'll change that somehow.
You feel sad for an inanimate object that never had any sort of feelings...? Christ, Now I see why Jamey left.

Riachu64
19th August 2004, 06:42 PM
WOW! REALLY? THAT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!!
...They also originated alot of the crap you look down upon. Pokemon wasn't an American concept, kids. Neither was YGO. So just because the Japanese love it doesn't make it super redeemed.

So you're upset it's getting messed with because it's simple? Sounds more like you're trying to say it's anime more geared for the "Slow american audience".

You feel sad for an inanimate object that never had any sort of feelings...? Christ, Now I see why Jamey left.

AWESOME! This is the first time I've ever had a post picked apart like that. It's like we're having some debate about religion and stuff like that, except it's anime... and doesn't really need to be argued over...

Ah, I guess you didn't get what I meant by simple. Hm, oh well.

My friend thinks you're just angry and in great need of a hug... or two.

legendary fisherman1
19th August 2004, 07:04 PM
My friend thinks you're just angry and in great need of a hug... or two.

Someone sig that. NOW.

The Muffin Man
19th August 2004, 08:43 PM
Someone sig that. NOW.

Now that you're forcing me no. I won't.

Dark Scizor
19th August 2004, 11:02 PM
Someone sig that. NOW.
Why don't you sig it? It was your idea after all :D

legendary fisherman1
20th August 2004, 01:19 AM
Why don't you sig it? It was your idea after all :D

Hurrah. I'm cool now :(

Last Exile
20th August 2004, 02:17 AM
I'm sure you're finding this fun, but this is getting way off topic and SPAMmalicious, so I'm cutting this now. So long. ;)