PDA

View Full Version : A Question About food in a fanfic

Charles Legend
15th August 2004, 10:07 PM
Hey guys would anyone be interested in a fic that deals with a Wobbuffet chef that Shares his healthy recipes in his cook book, and have him teach the fine art of cooking to a class full of Wynaut....

What do you guys think?

Any comments or suggestions would be highly appreciated......

~Ryu

mr_pikachu
15th August 2004, 10:35 PM
That would be difficult, but possible. The first hurdle would be finding a way for the Wobbuffet to write in an understandable language. You could make him a "gifted" Wobbuffet that could communicate in English, but that's being done quite a lot lately. It might not be wise to do that at the present time. You may instead prefer to have him write in a language understood by the Wynaut/Wobbuffet evolutionary line. There may be other ways to do it, but that's all I can think of right now.

The second hurdle is how the readers would understand the class. You could, again, make the Wobbuffet (and possibly the Wynaut students) be able to speak English, but again, that's been rather common recently in some form or another. You could also do a translation of the Pokemon speech, but I'm not sure how we'll that'd go over with some of the readers.

Finally, you'll need some sort of surprise in the plot. Readers probably won't want to spend their time reading about some class where all that happens is teaching. Something will need to happen to gain (and keep) the interest of your readers.

This sounds like an original idea, though. It'd be interesting to see how this could work out in a fic. If you can come up with solutions to these three problems, then go for it! I'll see you around! :wave:

Drago
17th August 2004, 07:31 AM
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how exactly you could base an entire fic around such. A chapter would seem like a plausible idea, perhaps. But a fic, that'd be a somewhat daunting task.

I'm not exactly shooting it down, however, it's just that it would require a couple specific things for it to take off all that well. For one, you'd have to be able to create some interesting characters, most of them obviously belonging to the Wynaut. Generally in fics which involve classes, the main focus is on the students as opposed to the authority figure. I would also assume that there's some twist behind the subject of cooking, unless you're working it in as a ploy to create a series of cooking jokes...

I'm also under the impression that the cooking Wobbuffet aspect is only the basis, not the central idea behind the story? I mean, it's an interesting plot and locale setup, but unless the chapters are quite short, I would doubt that you'd be able to base a lot soley around the cooking class.

Nonetheless, it's your prospect, and I'd assume that you'd have a couple ideas set up. What you have given us is a tad broad, perhaps. Maybe if you could state what sort of things to expect? The theme, the characters, etc. We can't really pass a whole lot of judgement on the basics...

Gavin Luper
18th August 2004, 05:42 AM
It could be mildly interesting, but it needs more substance - a more complex plot, and so on, which I'm sure you've already thought of, but just haven't mentioned here.

As to what mr_pika was saying, I don't see how the language is a problem. Have the Wobbuffet and Wynaut speak normally, ie in English, and you have a fic. I don't really see where the hurdles come into it :no:

Good luck with it all, anyway.

Charles Legend
21st August 2004, 09:30 PM
I do admit that at the time it semed like a good Idea but I was wrong.

so yeah I am some what Scraping this Idea, but you did give me some uesful advice and for that thank you.

btw is it comon for a writer to start a projects but never finsh them and start a new one? becuse I have like 15 floppies full of fics that I had kind of started but never realy got back to working on them. ;o

Is there a way to sove this?

~Ryu

mistysakura
22nd August 2004, 05:04 AM
*points at self* Yeah, I've got quite a few 3-4 chapter starts lying around the place. But by now, I toss around my ideas so much before starting to write, that my abandoned fic count isn't growing so much any more. (My non-abandoned fic count, however, is still at zero...)

Ways to solve this? Well, I've got the same problem, so no idea.

PancaKe
22nd August 2004, 07:20 AM
It would be damn interesting and damn excellent if you could pull it off. but to pull it off you'd need it to contain very very twisted parts, and a whole load of information. If you're cut out for a lot of work, then go for it. But its's probably not something that will come straight away and will require more work than a standard fic.

Heald
22nd August 2004, 04:06 PM
Although I never would write about pokemon, the concept in itself is sound. However, it can only be a basis. You'd have to develop the personalites of the chef and his pupils. Personally, if I was writing it, I'd make it a sitcom-style fanfic e.g. have the chef have problems writing and selling the book, the pupils are a mix of personalities e.g. one who is a complete moron and always sets fire to things. Comedy is quite hard to pull off for amateurs so if you are not comfortable you could write it as a drama instead.

I see that you scrapped it but maybe my comments gave you some help.

As for unfinished fics, I never finish fics. I barely get past 5 chapters. I'm lazy like that, but hopefully this next fic I will eventually finish.

mr_pikachu
24th August 2004, 10:27 PM
the pupils are a mix of personalities e.g. one who is a complete moron and always sets fire to things.

This sounds surprisingly similar to my experiences in Chemistry. One day I lit a bunsen burner... on the bottom. I kinda went, "Uh... ah... eh... er... um... ah... ehh... erm..." until one of the other students near me turned off the gas. I was terrible at that class. I'm certain that I set the class record for most test tubes broken in the course of the year. I believe it ended up being around ten after twelve sessions, most of which didn't use test tubes. I was ridiculously poor. >_<

But anyway, I think that the best thing to do is just to let your mind casually brainstorm. I think up ideas while driving, watching TV, doing homework, etc. Don't force yourself to think; let your initial ideas flow easily on their own. Once you've got a really good idea that fits really well and that you think you can do a superb job on, go for it. But let the ideas come to you, at least in the beginning. If you have enough dedication to the new project, things will turn out fine. :yes:

The Blue Avenger
27th August 2004, 09:04 PM
I find that listening to music that deals with the subject you're trying to write about helps a lot. For example, while I work on my F-Zero fic, I listen to music off of F-Zero GX. The inspiration positively flows. XD

For a Wobbuffet fic, I dunno, though... maybe listen to Polka o Dolka? :P

EDIT: Spelling. Man, I'm tired. :sleep: