PDA

View Full Version : RE: Underground Distribution of Anime (IE Fansubbing)

EngiMatikul
16th August 2004, 12:09 AM
While browsing other boards, I've found two very interesting articles that I thought would be nice to share with this community. It should provide some of the following information:

1. History of anime fandom in America
2. Information on the purpose of licensed anime

I hope that in #2, many people who live outside of the US and Canada, which I know there are quite a few, would understand why some fansubbers stop distributing anime after it becomes licensed.

http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/04/08/wo_jenkins081004.asp?p=2

http://68.144.163.209:81/ethics-2004.txt

Disclaimer: While I will admit I have about the same opinions as that guy in the second article, I am not forcing anyone nor trying to convince others to stop downloading licensed anime or insult licensing companies.

Razola
16th August 2004, 01:21 AM
What is this? An attempt to stop fansubbing?

Maybe people should think about how subs generate hype for DVDs and dubbed episodes.

Last Exile
16th August 2004, 01:43 AM
Fansubs generate at least 90% of any anime's fans. Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Gundam SEED, Samurai Champloo, Last Exile, Chrno Crusade...the lsit goes on! Where would the promotion and hype be without them?!

Besides, 4 out of 5 anime fans buy the manga and DVD ocne they can afford it anyway if it's aseries really like.

Anime is shown on Japanese TV then people put it out the net via fansubbing. Since we don't get Japanese TV, and since we're smart enough to not spend $30 on a DVD without knowing what we're actuallty buying, it is our RIGHT to be able to watch the fansubs!

My mum is agaisnt piracy, but once I explained what fansubs were, she compeltely agreed with me. Piracy si wrong, but fansubbing is nto piracy. It is the backbone of generating anime fanbases. Cosnidering the US, Australia and the UK (in that order) are the three most profitable anime buying coutnires outside of Asia, it would eb suicide to stop fansubs. You might as well right anime's death certificate.

Razola
16th August 2004, 09:55 AM
Fansubs aren't even stealing anything. It's not like I can actually watch the anime on my TV (much less understand what's going on).

It generates hype and (ideally) forces companies to come up with a dub that can compete.

The Muffin Man
16th August 2004, 10:24 AM
I see fansubs as like a preview. Like "Hey, you know how awesome this anime was with subtitles? Imagine NOT HAVING TO DART YOUR EYES DOWN!" and then the DVD comes out and I sob because I'm a jobless bum.

Stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllll waiting for Ragnarok the animation to get licensed...hopefully not by 4Kids(I don't wanna lose Roan saying "Shit!" when fighting the Golden Thief Bug! Heh...)

Roarkiller
16th August 2004, 10:25 AM
Technically, fansubbing is NOT an offence. What brings up the lawsuits is distribution of licensed material, and that is an offence in every country i can think of.

1st article, no comment, its an unbiased article based on facts anyway.

The 2nd, its actually nice to see someone who still has the old fansubber's ethics. but actually, he's wrong in a few points. Most fansubbers arent like AJ, dissing licensing companies everytime they license a title the group were doing. Also, he's assuming that evryone who has the money can just walk into a video store and buy them off the shelf. Sorry, but not all areas actually sell anime, and the poor otakus living in these areas have no choice but to continue downloading.

For us outside US/Canada/Europe/whatever, its more or less the same problem. U may think that just becuz those who live in asia r more exposed to anime, we get the titles sooner. Sorry, it doesnt exactly work that way. Think almost all of u guys know the prob with piracy here, and unless u actually have any inkling of an idea u wont know whether ur buying an official release or a bootleg. Which, of course, defeats the purpose of ditching the download and buying the CDs, cuz either way, ur still not contributing anything othr than expressing interest in the title.

And lastly, just because the subs on ur side of the earth is good doesnt mean ours r. Take for example my local distributor. Trust me, they r no better than AJ, probably even worse. And i dont usually buy the HK imports cuz i dont know if its the legal stuff or not, theres no markings or whatever. And like i said, if i buy bootlegs, i might as well continue downloading, cuz im doing the same thing w/o the cost.