PDA

View Full Version : TWL Awareness

Darien Shields
16th August 2004, 01:01 AM
I was talking with a bunch of AIM contacts recently, and was shocked at how some people don't visit The Writer's Lounge. I think it's a great place, and even readers should feel welcome (Especially since we sometimes want to poll them), but apparantly some just don't even seem to know it exists.

Any ideas on how to imrpove TWL (The Writer's Lounge) awareness? Advertising maybe? It'd be a bit weird if we all put "Come to the Writer's Lounge" things in our sigs... I wonder if that would work though?

mistysakura
16th August 2004, 06:22 AM
How can people not know about the Writers' Lounge? That's just weird. Anyway, when I was a newbie, I never went to the writers' lounge because I thought the stuff in it was relevant to writers only. If we want to do something about the unawareness, I suggest we change the Writers' Lounge's name to something more universal.

P.S. Kinda ironic that the only people who'll se this poll are those who visit the Lounge anyway.

Chris 2.1
16th August 2004, 07:36 AM
Well the description does make it seem like this is a place for writers 'if you need help with a fanfic or overcoming writers block' or something like that: To many, TWL would appear as a Help section for Fanfic Writers.

Still, we don't have many things for non-writers. The POTW generally tries to lure non-writers, with questions such as favourite genre to read, which applies to anybody.

Also, I've set up a few things to bring people here: The Openings/endings topic is around here somewhere, the cast, the Fanfic Trailers...these are things a fan of a Fanfic could check and get into a fic more.

But hey, at the end of the day, they're missing out :P

As for the poll: I come daily. There's usually something nifty around here.

Dragonfree
16th August 2004, 07:50 AM
Daily at least. Every time I visit TPM, I go right to FanFiction, then Writer's Lounge. Always.

Whisper in the Wind
16th August 2004, 01:26 PM
same as Dragonfree, visit everytime I'm on TPM *I usually visit TPM just to go to the lounge in fact just icnase theres something new of interest*

Darien Shields
16th August 2004, 01:33 PM
I brought it up because I was talking to some people and the subject of the E-zine came up, and they didn't read, in fact, I don't think they were even aware of it, because it was in the Writer's Lounge. Which is kinda annoying, y'know?

If we were polling readers, could we do that in the main FF forum instead of TWL?

Chris 2.1
16th August 2004, 04:11 PM
I think that would just take the whole point of TWL away.

It is, after all, a place for people to talk and chat about fanfics. It makes sense we keep it seperate.

dratinihaunter13
16th August 2004, 06:26 PM
i never thought the lounge had this problem. if there should be a name change, anyone have any suggestions?

and i visit the lounge all the time ^_^

The Decapitated Mole
16th August 2004, 07:32 PM
Every time I come to teh forums, as long as there's a new post in here [or if I'm looking for something/have something specifically in mind to post] I'll come and check it out, even if I don't post that much.

And boo on the name change, I think it's fine

o_0
jimm

achooxp
17th August 2004, 09:03 PM
It's already under Fanfic, why not just call it "the Lounge"? I think it sounds friendlier. I may be weird. :scared:

Anyhoo, I would say that this is the place I visit most often, second being Misc. I occasionally ghost lurk on some fics, but my time is occupied enough so that most fics are, unfortunately, set aside in my mind. :019:

Darien Shields
17th August 2004, 09:55 PM
First let me say that I was on theverge of replying to this again two or three times, but kept crashing when I looked at the topic. I don't know what the deal is with that, and it's mighty annoying. But anyway...

I know, I know, The Writer's Lounge is a good and descriptive name, and I do want to post things like Reader Polls here, but it just annoys me to find out people aren't visiting it... I think the best sollution would be if we could telepathically force people to visit. Short of that, I dunno. Beat them with a stick? Just a thought. I'll start beating, and see if that helps.

Oh, and my I just say that subscribing's a great idea. Usually I just sit on my User CP and reload it periodically. That way I see if there's a new post in FF or TWL (I tried to subscribe to other games, but it didn't work.) And I can obviously see if there are topics that I'm subscribed to that got a reply. Or if I get a PM... I'm thinking of going back into FF more and delving into some fics (haven't read a fic that wasn't for a review in ages.)

I'm sorta considering putting a little note about the Writer's Lounge in my Sig. It might help. I guess I should post more in FF and the like too, though.

Gavin Luper
18th August 2004, 05:22 AM
Interesting. I remember before we had the subforums, FF was a mixture of fics and discussions and so on, and so you just got to browse through everything all at the time. It was good like that, it made it feel more alive.

But I like the writer's lounge, I think it's nice to have. The name is good too, changing it wouldn't be the best thing since sliced bread. Also, I don't think we're in need of any membership drive, people will come here if they want to and won't if they don't, is as simple as that. I like things the way they are.

As for the poll, I said a few times a week :D

Cheers!

mr_pikachu
24th August 2004, 09:56 PM
When I was a newbie here, I didn't visit the Lounge because I thought that "It's for the writers, so I don't want to go there and be mocked by all the awesome fic writers. I need to be a writer myself, first." Ironically, that helped me start my first fic, which amusingly rhymes with "worst fic". Quite accurately, too. But I digress. The point remains that many newbies and readers don't visit because they feel that it's not for them.

We could do one of two things on the surface to draw more non-writers and such. The most obvious one would be to change the name. But what would we change it to? Maybe "The Fanfic Lounge"? (Oh, that's the most original idea ever!) That could be a problem. I think the name is okay, but I'll leave that open.

The second option, and the one that I think is preferable, would be to change the description of the Lounge. Y'know, that thing that says, "Come here to discuss anything related to writing, from soundtracks for your fics to writers block." That's a major turn-off for readers and newbies because either it doesn't apply to them, or they don't have a clue what you're talking about. :P

I propose changing it to something like, "Come here to discuss anything related to writing or the Fanfic forum in general." That could be expanded a bit, but you get the idea.

Oh, and I come here daily, if at all possible. Never subscribed, though... can you subscribe to an entire forum section? I didn't know you could do that... :confused:

The Blue Avenger
26th August 2004, 07:56 PM
I say, for promoting awareness, we declare war on the Miscellaneous Discussion forum.

Anyway, if many people don't come here, there'd be a simple way to rectify that. Post a copy of the E-zine in another forum, say Misc., but lock it so that people will come here to reply.

Andrew
26th August 2004, 08:01 PM
[quote="Anyway, if many people don't come here, there'd be a simple way to rectify that. Post a copy of the E-zine in another forum, say Misc., but lock it so that people will come here to reply.
[/quote"]

0_o;

I don't think that will happen :(

I was entertained to see the poll had no lounge virgins. Lols.

Oh well, for advertising... I dont' really know to be honest, its a listed forum... I guess if people want to come along they can :\