PDA

View Full Version : Wobbufet as a usable character

Psyzor
11th February 2003, 12:49 PM
I'm a pretty die hard Wobbufet fan. I want him on my team, but would really like to know what you people think of him as a unit overall. Since Wynaut was added as a preevolution with the ability to learn two moves that could prove REALLY useful to helping wobbufet, I was wondering if anybody could see him as an even remotely useful character or is he still overly predictable.
My wobbufet would look like.

Personality: +SDEF, - ATK
Characteristic: "DUH!"
Item: Leftovers (of course)
Charm
Counter
Encore
Mirrorcoat

What do you think.

diurnal.
11th February 2003, 02:24 PM
encore and m.coat/counter rocs.....u don't even have to guess what the opps will use next, these 3 moves are a MUST!

as long as u have safeguarders/healbellers on ur team i suggest d.bond too....nice for one last dance,but takes experience to use wizely andcharm effectivley decreases the damage u can do to your opps, so lose it...

oh and leftovers is a ever-important on this guy for maximising his ability to strut his stuff

Dark Sage
11th February 2003, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't suggest Destiny Bond, unless you want your Wobbuffet's loyalty score to sink like a rock.

And by the way, Wobbuffet's characteristic... I forget the name, but it works just like the Mean Look technique. (I think. Don't ask me why they gave it to Wobbuffet.)

- Venusaur

Trip
11th February 2003, 06:27 PM
No point in having both Charm and Counter, because all you do is reduce the amount of damage done to Wobby, which decreases the amount of damage dealt back.

When I use a Wobby, here's what I'm going to do.

Wobby @ Leftovers
Hatred Shadows (?) Characteristic (yes, the characteristic is like Mean Look)
Sp.Attk./Attk. -, Sp.Def +
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond

Just my 2 cents.

- Trip

The Muffin Man
11th February 2003, 06:29 PM
Trips is the best. Just give it Shell Bell. As I remember correctly, Shell Bell heals more the more damage you do. You'll always be restored to full if you survive to Counter succesfully.

Dragonfree
11th February 2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Venusaur
I wouldn't suggest Destiny Bond, unless you want your Wobbuffet's loyalty score to sink like a rock.

And by the way, Wobbuffet's characteristic... I forget the name, but it works just like the Mean Look technique. (I think. Don't ask me why they gave it to Wobbuffet.)

- Venusaur

Actually, happiness doesn't drop when you use Selfdestruct, Explosion or Destiny bond.

Strider Azure
11th February 2003, 06:52 PM
Wobby is a really good Pokemon. I used him in my team, using Encore and switching to Starmie if the opponent does not use an attacking moves.

Red Angel
11th February 2003, 08:13 PM
Leftovers are OK, but there's 2 better items... Shell Bell would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO broken if TMM is right... but it probably doesn't work with Counter/Mirror Coat... here's a set to think about, though...

Wobbuffet@(the item that raises speed when HP goes below 1/3)
Counter <- must-have
Mirror Coat <- must-have
Encore < must-have
Destiny Bond <- actually works pretty well now, thanks to it's item

Anifanatic10
12th February 2003, 12:15 AM
Why would Wobbuffet need speed?

Rei_Zero
12th February 2003, 12:45 AM
To pull of destiny bond.

SageofDarkness
12th February 2003, 09:35 AM
Fantastic set!

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Characteristic: Stand in Shadows
Sp.Attk./Attk. -, Sp.Def +
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond

Dr Crocodile
12th February 2003, 03:06 PM
First of all, a max speed (both DVs and Stat experience) stated Wobby after recieveing the Speed boost from the berry would max out at 246. That's slightly lower than a pokemon with a base speed of 75. Really now, how many pokemon out their are faster than that? Quite a few, or a many I should say. And this is assuming max speed DV and 255 stat experience for speed. I would rather pump all the stat exp into HP, Def, and SpDef than waste it on a pretty useless stat for Wobby. Speed berry + Destiny Bond/Reckless works great on some slow pokemon like Weezing and Raguraaji but they have at least a respectable speed stat. Wobby's is just to slow to have the berry make enough of a difference. Second of all, I have tested it out on the ROM and Shell Bell DOES work with Counter and Mirror Coat. Granted its the ROM and I had to use Time codes to complete the Shell Bell quest but it should work just the same on the cart. If someone would be so kind, could they test it out. So as of now, Counter and Mirror Coat DO work with Shell Bell.

Dark Sage
12th February 2003, 04:40 PM
I'm not certain whether or not the Happiness score sinks or not when you use Destiny Bond, Self-Destruct or Explosion.

However, I do know that those three moves (and Perish Song as well) DO suffer a major handicap.

If you use such a move to defeat a pokemon, the pokemon that uses the move gets no experience points for doing so, because it faints in the process. Thus, it is a wasted effort.

So unless you are using the move to win a trainer battle, and you simply need money, those four moves just aren't worth the effort.

Oh, but there is one thing that Self-Destruct and Explosion are good for:

Both of them are worth a LOT of hearts in the Strength contest. However, if your pokemon uses either move in the contest, it forfeits any move for all remaining rounds; so if you intend to use Self-Destruct or Explosion for a Strength contest, be sure to save it for the last round!

- Venusaur

rinku
12th February 2003, 05:37 PM
I'm not certain whether or not the Happiness score sinks or not when you use Destiny Bond, Self-Destruct or Explosion.

However, I do know that those three moves (and Perish Song as well) DO suffer a major handicap.

If you use such a move to defeat a pokemon, the pokemon that uses the move gets no experience points for doing so, because it faints in the process. Thus, it is a wasted effort.

So unless you are using the move to win a trainer battle, and you simply need money, those four moves just aren't worth the effort.

I think the point of these moveset discussions is generally in regard to link-battling, Venusaur. Experience isn't a major issue.
You are correct that they are less important for in-game use, though there's a sneaky use for them in levelling-up weak pokémon:

1. Go into the battle with your weak pokémon out first.
2. Switch to the strong pokémon with Explosion (for example)
3. Explode it. If the opponent is fainted, the weak one gets *all* the experience :)

Also, any L100 pokémon could care less about not getting experience (again, these moveset discussions tend to assume the maxed out level playing field of L100).

Cobra X
13th February 2003, 12:46 AM
why has no one mentioned splash?

Splash is useful for wasting opponent's pp, and if you accidentally encore a move that doesn't do damage.

Splash/encore/counter/mc

Forget destiny bond. Half the time it won't even work so just stick with this.

Dr Crocodile
13th February 2003, 01:00 AM
Or while they are stuck doing some non-attacking move, you can use Safeguard then switch out to a pokemon that they are weak against. They must either switch or die. You get to Pseudo-Pass, Works great for Pseudo-Hazing and gets Spikes damage if you have Spikes set on the field.

So

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers/Shell Bell
Characteristic: Stand in Shadows
Personality: -SpAtk or -Atk and +SpDef or +Def

- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard

If we are ever able to get Mimicing Wobbuffets into R/S then that could work even better over Safeguard since you could Mimic something good like Recover or something.

Cobra X
13th February 2003, 01:16 AM
dude, if wobby gets something trapped that can't harm it, why would you switch at all? Just be a bastard and run the guy's pp down and wait for them to inevitably start attacking you.

Nace
13th February 2003, 04:16 AM
The problem with Wobby is that he's useless against Ghost and Dark pokes using Ghost and Dark attacks respectively. Stupid immunities. Otherwise he's good.

Feelingsad
13th February 2003, 06:52 AM
The ghost/dark thing isn't an issue anymore because of it's trait.. Don't send wobbuffet out against a ghost or dark type.

I like the idea of just using Wobbuffet to get free switches.
Encore something, if it isn't an attack, you get not only a free switch to any pokemon on your team, but presumeably also a free turn as they switch out.. This is quite a big deal for me as I am really only an rby player, and such a move could easily decide a battle. I dunno how well it would work in GSC/RuSa.

However, I don't think Wobbuffet could be allowed in 1v1 battling, because it is such an easy pokemon to use, it would be boring; and Wobbuffet vrs Wobbuffet situations would arise too often (Wobbuffet cannot kill a leftovers Wobbuffet with Struggle) which would be the stupidest thing to ever happen in a battle ever.

Wobbuffet is not nearly as strong in 2v2, and although it could feasibly cause infinite stall wars (if you and your opponent both had wobbuffets and non-attacking Chanseys or something) I severly doubt this would be a common occourence.

Wobby would be great for partnering a perish song user, or swapping in against one as it mean looks, if your team has problems with it.. Also to protect a pokemon like Skarmory, that would be destroyed if your opponent can switch in Magneton..
Basically any pokemon could be severly benefited by having there opponents unable to switch.

does anyone know for certain that Shadow Hatred or w/e does affect both opponents in 2v2?

Have a nice day.

Dark Sage
13th February 2003, 03:18 PM
Shadow Hatred isn't of very much use in a two-on-two.

You see, a two-on-two only exists with trainer battles, never with wild pokemon; and in a trainer battle, you can't flee anyway.

And Shadow Hatred, unlike the Mean Look technique, does NOT keep a trainer from switching pokemon; it just keeps a pokemon (or its trainer) from fleeing. So in a two-on-two battle or any trainer battle, Shadow Hatred is... well, worthless.

- Venusaur

vitortomita
13th February 2003, 04:03 PM
You are wrong. It prevents switches. I battled a Wynaut and I couldn't switch.

Azura Stardust
14th February 2003, 05:25 AM
Shadow Hatred isn't of very much use in a two-on-two.

You see, a two-on-two only exists with trainer battles, never with wild pokemon; and in a trainer battle, you can't flee anyway.

And Shadow Hatred, unlike the Mean Look technique, does NOT keep a trainer from switching pokemon; it just keeps a pokemon (or its trainer) from fleeing. So in a two-on-two battle or any trainer battle, Shadow Hatred is... well, worthless.

- Venusaur

I suggest you actually try things out before claiming, especially when you sound so confirmed that you're right. :wave:

Cobra X
14th February 2003, 02:27 PM
That wasn't very nice. Wobbuffet is and has always been a great pokemon. The G/S, few people ever used it properly. Heck, I'm not even sure if I did.

Dark Sage
14th February 2003, 04:42 PM
I never said I didn't like Wobbuffet.

I kinda like the blue guy. He can be rather useful if you use him right.

Now if only he could be taught some TMs...

- Venusaur

Rei_Zero
14th February 2003, 08:57 PM
He can be taught tms in RS Venusaur. Alot of things have changed since GS so there is something else to look forward too. As for A moveset, I suggest:
Mirror Coat
Counter
Encore
Taunt(can he learn it??)

Red Angel
14th February 2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Rei_Zero
He can be taught tms in RS Venusaur. Alot of things have changed since GS so there is something else to look forward too.

As much as I dislike telling peole they're mistaken, Rei_Zero, I'll have to say that to you... I just checked a "certain site"'s PokeDex, and neither Wynaut nor Wobbafett can learn TMs or HMs...

Rei_Zero
14th February 2003, 09:54 PM
Sorry. I swear I heard that it learned tms now though. Oh well, I guess I got it confused with some other used to never get tms pokemon.

Psyzor
17th February 2003, 12:00 PM
Safeguard, if you recall, was a GSC TM move, and even then he could not learn any TM's. Even though he can level up to learn certain TM moves, he can't be tought any by means of TM.... that SUCKS!!!!!