PDA

View Full Version : Episode 367 (AG 091) - Pokémon Contest! Minamo Convention!!

Animelee
20th August 2004, 11:41 PM
Alright, it's time for Haruka to try again and get her third Ribbon! This time, she chose to use Wakashamo, because she was pleased with its Sky Upper against Team Rocket in the previous episode. After somehow escaping from Wakashamo's out-of-control Fire Spin from the end of the last episode, Haruka continues her contest.

It seems she's up against Musashi and Chirin in the first battle, and it seems she wins, and makes it onto the next round, where she battles Kanata and her Bupig. Bupig seems to have a slight advantage, since Wakashamo is weak to Esper-type attacks. Luckily Wakashamo's a dual-type, and it uses its Flamethrower to get out of Bupig's grasp. Somehow, they both end up in the air (probably because of Wakashamo's Sky Upper), and Bupig probably uses a super-effective Epser-type effect at the same time, sending them both unconcious and plummeting towards the center of the ring! Fortunately, it seems Wakashamo wakes up, and at the last second, too! What happens exactly is what we won't know untill next week, because the previews can be pretty deceiving at times.

Also, we see glimpses of Satoshi continuing to teach O'osubame the Aerial Ace move. He was pretty successful in the previous episode, but I guess he wants to perfect it.

Minamo City = Lilycove City
Haruka = May
Wakashamo = Combusken
Esper = Psychic
Sky Upper = Sky Uppercut
Musashi = Jesse
Chirin = Chimecho
Bupig = Grumpig
Satoshi = Ash
O'osubame = Swellow

In the words of Zak -- please discuss!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gaborn
21st August 2004, 02:13 AM
For some reason, I just now noticed that this is the 6th pokemon contest that we have seen on the anime. The ribbon from this contest looks pretty neat, so I hope May wins it.

There is always the possibility that Combusken just stopped using Fire Spin before it hit May. Even if it does end up killing most of the audience, the way it used that attack was very impressive. My guess is that Combusken will use a flamethrower (or something similar) on the ground to soften it's fall.

Do you have a screenshot of James' reaction to how Jessie is treating his Chimecho? I thought that part was precious ^^;

Hanada Tattsu
22nd August 2004, 01:41 PM
Yeah - it seems as if Combusken is May's Poliwag - because her other Pokemon are not as successful as her starter. So Taillow knows Aerial Ace?

Animelee
23rd August 2004, 11:14 AM
Do you have a screenshot of James' reaction to how Jessie is treating his Chimecho? I thought that part was precious ^^;

Oh, sure. Yeah, I agree, the look on his face is priceless!

Hanada Tattsu
23rd August 2004, 03:20 PM
LOL - that pic is funny.

What I meant by my above comment was that Combusken reminds me of Misty's Poliwag, it became her most successful Pokemon and the one she used most.

Chris 2.1
23rd August 2004, 06:14 PM
Hanada: It's a Swellow now, remember? I think this is a case of the Pikachu Iron Tail thing, or Treecko's Bullet seed - they can perform the attack, but they haven't perfected it or learned it completely. Pikachu's Iron Tail took a few episodes to perfect, but AA is a move Swellow learns naturally, so it shouldnt be hard.

Hanada Tattsu
23rd August 2004, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I get it. But it is one of the few instances where a Pokemon is actually taught the attack from scratch.

Light_Togetic
26th August 2004, 02:05 PM
Oh poor James! He finally gets a new pokemon and Jessie abuses it... If I were him I'd give Chimecho lots of candy afterwards. ^-^

Well, looks like May has her hands full at the moment. Not much to say about it... is this the first time she's used Torchic/Combusken in a contest? I don't remember another time.

Andrew
26th August 2004, 04:57 PM
Yeah - it seems as if Combusken is May's Poliwag - because her other Pokemon are not as successful as her starter.

WTF.

Torchic/Combusken was her starter...

0_o;

Hanada Tattsu
26th August 2004, 06:49 PM
Did you not read my response afterwards?

I meant by that the point that May's Torchic/Combusken reminds me of Misty's Poliwag/Poliwhirl. It is her strongest Pokemon. She uses it quite a lot, and her other Pokemon (Beautifly, Skitty, Bulbasaur) are not as trained as it. Misty's Corsola, Staryu, Goldeen, and Psyduck were not used as much.

Gaborn
29th August 2004, 12:10 AM
Another great Contest episode. Combusken, Chimecho and Grumpig are all pokemon that I adore, so this episode was extra nice.

Chimecho showed off two new attacks today (three if you count wrap, but it has been doing that since James caught it). Astonish was okay, but I don't really like the way that it was used. Double Edge would have impressed me a lot more if it had connected with Combusken. The best part of Chimecho's battling was that James cried every time it got hurt. By the time it lost, he was gushing.

The first round of the battle portion showed Jessie beating a Loudred. She probably got a big kick out of defeating a pokemon that has caused her so much trouble in the past.

Does Team Rocket really have to blast off in every episode? It is stupid to have them be punished for not doing anything wrong.

The battle between Haruka and Kanata seemed too short. It was cool how May came up with the strategy to throw off Grumpig's concentration, but then the battle was already over. I was happy that May had Combusken help Grumpig when they were falling.

Hanada Tattsu
29th August 2004, 10:16 AM
LOL, that TR pic is great, I really liked it. This looks like an enjoyable episode, is it the same Loudred as before?

Pewter City Geodude
30th August 2004, 01:12 PM
No, it only shows up in a still shot, it's just a Loudred belonging to a random coordinator.

Hanada Tattsu
30th August 2004, 03:23 PM
Oh. if it was the same Loudred as before, it would have been really funny. =)

Pewter City Geodude
1st September 2004, 12:32 PM
Did Combusken use Flamethrower in this episode, or didn't it? It looked like it did on a couple of occasions, but I never heard the Japanese word for it (kaien hossha or however it's spelled).

Hanada Tattsu
1st September 2004, 03:29 PM
Maybe it could have been another fire attack.. Ember perhaps? Or maybe Fire Spin? and I'm surprised Combusken knows such an attack. Even if it did know Flamethrower, shouldn't it need more experience before it learns such an advaned fire moved?

Pewter City Geodude
1st September 2004, 05:43 PM
It definitely was not Ember. I'll try to get a pic soon, unless Animelee beats me to it.

Gaborn
1st September 2004, 06:09 PM
It did look like the flame attack it used while fighting Grumpig was Flamethrower, but it may have just been the animators drawing fire spin differently. Sort of like the time Torchic used a really strong Ember attack that resembled Flamethrower back in Petalburg city.

Animelee
2nd September 2004, 12:20 AM
The first and second Fire-type moves were "Honoo no Uzu", which translates to "Fire Spin". The second time it used a Fire-type attack, Haruka told Wakashamo to "aim it at the ceiling", or something, and Contesta said it was its Fire Spin being aimed at the celing.

Zak
2nd September 2004, 02:01 AM
The first and second Fire-type moves were "Honoo no Uzu", which translates to "Fire Spin". The second time it used a Fire-type attack, Haruka told Wakashamo to "aim it at the ceiling", or something, and Contesta said it was its Fire Spin being aimed at the celing.

Actually, he said it's a "Hino Tama" which translates to "Fireball". Not a real attack. May told it to throw a fireball at the ceiling, followed by Sky Uppercut.

~Zak

Hanada Tattsu
2nd September 2004, 12:06 PM
That does indeed look like a Fire Spin, but May was just telling it to aim a fireball to the cieling then?

Animelee
3rd September 2004, 12:19 AM
Repeatedly listening to it though, Contesta and Takeshi both mention "Honoo no Uzu" over and over. Who mentions "Hino Tama", may I ask?

Hanada Tattsu
5th September 2004, 12:20 PM
Perhaps Combusken used a Flamethrower in the form of a Fireball aimed at the ceiling?