PDA

View Full Version : Guilty by Design (reposted with changes and tweaks and all that other fun stuff)

Iveechan
21st August 2004, 07:19 PM
When I first posted this fic over a year ago, I did the stupid thing of posting the first 3 chapters all at a time, among other things. This is sort of a test for I am still keeping the link to the first thread in my sig. I am currently trying to work on the latest chapter, and if this thread goes well, it will be posted here instead of the old one. But I love the old one... you guys gave me such lovely and honest reviews. From the ashes a phoenix shall rise (that doesn't look like Ho-oh)...

GUILTY BY DESIGN

By Katelyn, aka Iveechan

Author's note: Since this is based off the anime episode, "The Punchy Pokemon", you'll notice that Anthony's name was changed to Rick. This was because I didn't know his name when I first started. Ah well.

Chapter one: Blank Slate

He watched the small modest house with intense golden eyes. His claws dug into the cold earth, his muscles tensed, his heart pounded angrily. In that house was the man who ruined his life. The latch on the door began to twist. Now was his chance for revenge...

Five years prior...

"Remember when it hatches, let it see you first. That way it will become more attached."

"Yes, I know."

The breeder, a young man with pleasant blue hair, led a tall thiry something year old man with short earthen hair named Rick and his young braided daughter, Rebecca, to the spacious incubation room. It housed rows upon rows of pink, geletanious Ditto eggs. The eggs contained some of the rarest Pokemon known to man, including ones yet to be named. The breeder picked one of the eggs up.

"Here it is," he said in a voice low enough as not to disturb the egg's occupant. "This egg contains a Tyrogue. The father was a powerful Hitmonlee, a champion fighter. This one has good blood."

The breeder handed Rick the egg. The surface was warm and soft. "When will it hatch?" Rick questioned.

"Any day now," said the breeder. "Just keep it under a heat lamp in a quiet room and it'll be fine...and you have to be in the newborn's presence when it hatches. You have no idea how many Pokemon came out traumatized when there was no caretaker in site at the time of their birth."

"No problem!" Rick beamed. The breeder handed Rick the egg in a special box that would prevent it from rolling around. Rick wrote out the check...$2,973.95.

Rebecca sighed. 'There goes my college education,' she thought.

Almost a week had passed. Rebecca was in the kitchen with the pink egg was set snugly in a bed of towels on the table. She adjusted the red-lighted heat lamp and turned the egg over. It was surprisingly heavy, about four pounds.

"It should've hatched by now!" she heard Rick yell from another room. "That damn breeder, I should demand my money back!" The egg flinched - a reaction to outside commotion.

"I'm sure it will be tonight!" said Rebecca, a bit annoyed by her father's impatience. She stoked the egg's smooth surface. 'Please let it be tonight...we depend on you,' she thought.

About a year ago, Rebecca's mother, the sole breadwinner of the family, was killed in a car accident. Rick had been deeply depressed and near suicidal ever since the tragic incident. He was too upset to even hold a decent job. One day, as if a beacon of hope had shined on him, Rick saw a sign for the P-1 Grand Prix, a Pokemon tournament specializing in Fighting types that was held every four years. The winner recieved a rather large cash prize, among other things. With only six months to go until the next tournament, Rick decided that he had to get himself a good Pokemon quickly, so he invested his life savings into the egg he hoped would get his family out of their rut.

Suddenly, Rebecca noticed a jerk of movement out of the corner of her eye. She gasped as she realized the egg was beginning to hatch. A tear appeared across the surface and translucent pink liquid poured out. Rebecca shot up. "Daddy, it's hatching, come quick!"

Rick raced into the room, almost tripping. "Don't let it see you, don't let it see you!"

Rebecca moved out of the way. They watched the egg intently. A short face began to make its way out, and in a diving position the rest of the Tyrogue slipped out, laying huddled in a curled position. Rick was so overjoyed, he picked the little humanoid up in one hand and held it to the light to get a better look at it. The soaked Tyrogue squirmed in his strong grip. Unlike the more reconizeable fighter, the hatchling had almost no crest definition, was more of a dust rose tone with paler coloration on the belly, and its proportions resembled that of a newborn monkey. It had a short lizard-like tail and its feet looked almost like a small dinosaurs', the four clawed toes were shorter on the outside and longer on the inside. A bit of fluid streamed from the mouth as the newborn gasped for air.

"Look at him, Rebecca," said Rick. "He may look like a scrawny runt now, but one day he will make us rich! I think I'll name him Champ... does that sound good?"

"He'll be dead if you don't let me clean him off!" Rebecca said. She was quite knowledgable about Pokemon births, thanks to her free-roaming pet Meowth who presented her with a fresh litter of kittens every few months.

Rick waited a few moments. "Ok, he opened his eyes, so he should be imprinted on me now! Here you go, be careful."

Rebecca gathered the Tyrogue up in a thick towel and vigorously rubbed off the liquid. Then, making sure her grip was secure, gave one quick shake to get the remaining fluid out of the Tyrogue's lungs. He cried out, his shrill squeal sounding like a bird's chirp.

"Oi...kinda earpiercing, huh?" Rick laughed. He looked at the clock. "Wow, it sure is late. Let's go to bed, I should wake up early to start training Champ."

"Training so soon?" Rebecca questioned. "But he won't even be a full day old!"

"The sooner the better!" said Rick. He took the towel wrapped Tyrogue from his daughter, scowling a bit at the gentle appearance of his drowsy form. "You better be worth what I payed for, Champ. Good night, Becca!"

"Good night Daddy!" Rebecca has never seen her father so happy and hopeful before. She hoped it would last...

The next morning, eager to see the baby Tyrogue, Rebecca galloped down the steps, sounding more like a Tauros stampede than a young girl. As she entered the cheery kitchen, she was surprised to see her father grizzled and unshaven and clad in an aged robe. 'I guess daddy decided not to train early afterall,' Rebecca observed in her mind. She then smiled when she noticed the little Tyrogue, Champ, perched in Rick's lap, eating a peach. He would bite down firmly, pull his head back until a good sized chunk was yanked out, then swallow it whole. Rebecca noticed Champ had a cloth wrap around his waist, a old custom which stemmed from the belief that the center of the body is the most important and should always be kept warm.

"So did you decide not to train him yet afterall?" Rebecca asked as she streched her fingers out to stroke Champ. He yelped and flinched at her touch as though she were poison. Rebecca was a bit offended by the reaction, yet her father paid no mind.

"Huh? Oh, no, thanks for the reminder!" He abruptly stood up, causing Champ to grip onto his robe for dear life. The Tyrogue slid down and hit the floor with a soft thud.

"Be careful!" said Rebecca. She scrambled to help Champ, but he leered at her as he clutched Rick's pants leg possesively. Rebecca understood that Champ trusted only Rick since he recognized the human as his parent, but it still upset Rebecca a tad that the Tyrogue seemed to dislike her.

"Hey Rebecca, watch this!" said Rick. He took a few steps and paused. Champ quickly followed Rick and stopped right next to him, looking up with anticipation. "This imprinting really works! Ok, buddy, time to train!"

After Rick quickly got dressed, he and Champ entered the back yard. Champ froze the moment he reached the back porch. The bright natural sunlight was a stark contrast to the more appealing dullness of the inside of the house. He blinked a bit until he noticed Rick a good distance away, then leapt down off the porch, eager to catch up. Champ suddenly leapt back the moment his soft bare feet touched the grass. The prickly sensation startled him, but now he was a bit fascinated. Champ got down to his knees and cautiosly touched a bright green blade, watching it gently sway. Before the young Tyrogue could investigate further, Rick had doubled back to pick Champ up and made his way to their short destination. Champ, feeling secure in his trainer's grip, nuzzled into his shirt. The chirping of the bird Pokemon were a bit frightening compared to the house's relative silence, but as long as he was with Rick, Champ felt safe. Eventually, they arrived in a roomy shed nestled in the trees of the yard's border, and Rick set Champ down in front of a large punching bag that was hung from the ceiling.

"Ok, Champ, see this thing?" Rick said to the little Pokemon. Champ was mesmerized by the tiny dust particles gently floating in the sunlight. They were so interesting...where did they come from?

"Champ? Hello! Good, got your attention. Now, this thing...Champ!"

Champ clumsily wandered to the ray of light just barely shining through a dusty window. The dust particles continued to dance in their clear yellow ballroom. Champ reached for them...

"Dammit," Rick said quiety under his breath. He swiftly stormed over to Champ and grabbed him around the waist, his fingers pressing into Champ's belly, then angrily dropped him infront of the bag. Champ blinked and looked around, surprised and confused by that sudden swift action.

"Ok, good," said Rick. "Now, do as I do. First you stand with your arms like this, then..."

Champ suddenly noticed an interesting tear in the bag. A long piece of dark string was dangling from it. Champ touched the string, pulling at it with his short fingers.

Suddenly, WHACK! Something struck Champ on the side of his head. The force caused him to collide painfully against the hard concrete floor. Champ looked up and cowered when he saw how's Rick's normally placid face had distorted into anger, his sharp eyes glaring, teeth tightly clenched.

"Look, stupid, do as I say or I'll hit you again!" Rick snarled.

"Ty?" Champ questioned.

Rick yanked Champ up by the arm and set him in front of the bag again. Rick took a fighting stance, his fists near his face, and then gave the bag a punch so strong, it swung wildly and a cloud of dust flew out. He looked at Champ, who had forgotten about the slight sting of having his arm pulled. "Now, you do the same."

Champ imitated Rick exactly. After he punched the bag also, he looked at his trainer for approval. Rick seemed pleased. Champ bounced in glee as the warmth of pleasing his trainer erased his shock of fearing the man.

"Good! Now do it again. Good, good, now do it with more power. No, I said more power. More power I say!"

WHACK!

Later that evening, Rick and Champ returned to the house. Rebecca was in the kitchen sitting on a stool near the stove, waiting for the pot of water to boil. She smiled when she saw her father enter.

"I'm glad you're finally back! You must be famished, you were out there all day! How's Champ doing?"

Rebecca jumped down, ran up to the Tyrogue, and knelt to his level. She gasped in surprise. He was covered in dirt, scrapes decorated on his body, and a dark greenish purple bruise was forming around his eye. Champ backed away from Rebecca, pressed himself against Rick's leg and growled.

"He doesn't listen half the time," said Rick. "This runt was a waste of money."

"He's only a day old!" protested Rebecca. "Give him time, he'll get better! You can't expect him to become a champion over night!"

"He better be a damn good fighter by the tournament," said Rick as he scooted Champ away with his foot. "I'll have to train him harder tomorrow!"

mr_pikachu
28th August 2004, 05:03 PM
Jeez... Rick's totally obsessed with the tournament, isn't he? A bit of a stereotypical "evil father-figure", but oh well. It did work pretty well, I must say. The flashback idea for the beginning of the fic was interesting as well, and gave some insight as to what will likely happen to Champ during this fic.

A few things to note: First of all, when you use multiple adjectives, you need commas to separate them. Thus, the small modest house would become the small, modest house. Alternatively, you could change it to the modestly small house. Since one of the adjectives is now an adverb, no comma is needed. This may be the proper course of action, because you'd otherwise end up with the same pattern of words and commas twice in one sentence (as intense golden eyes would need a comma as well).

Other than that, just check your chapter for typos and tense errors before you post. I noticed a few times where you reverted to present tense, such as, Rebecca has never seen her father so happy and hopeful before. The word "has" should be "had" in this case, since the rest of your chapter is in the past tense. There were a few other errors like this (where one letter changed the meaning of a word), but nothing that drastically altered the meaning of a sentence. Just edit a little more beforehand, and you should be fine in that regard.

This is a pretty good start. I like the idea of Rick desperately getting a Pokemon to win the P-1 Grand Prix as a last-ditch effort to save his family. It really adds some intensity to the situation in more ways than one. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Well, I'll see you next chapter! :wave:

Iveechan
29th August 2004, 03:20 AM
Thanks for reading. I dislike commas used for two adjectives in a row (I use them for 3 or more) because, to me, it slows things down. I'm a bit hasty and like to get things over with. You don't need to give me a grammar lesson, it's just something I overlooked. Yeah, Rick isn't original, but I was trying to make this fic different from the run of the mill "Pokemon gets abused" scenarios where a Pokemon was either caught from the wild and despises the trainer, or is just angsty. Champ's situation is very different... bwahaha... oh yeah, this one's not as good, but things improve in chapter 3

Chapter 2: Champ in Making

Champ's lungs felt like they were about to explode. The lactic acid burned his muscles, the icey liquid surrounding him stung at his skin, but he had to keep moving. If he kept this up any longer, he would surely die...

"Ok Champ, that's good enough!"

Rick pulled on the thin nylon rope tied under Champ's arms. He lifted the Tyrogue out of the water, snapped off the weights attached to his limbs and waist, and set him on the ground. Champ just collapsed on his back, eyes shut, chest heaving. Champ looked more like how a Tyrogue should, his crest was tall and his build was lean and muscular. He was on the thin side though, his entire ribcage visible when he inhaled. Champ was wearing nothing at the moment, but still only wore the waist wrap regularly.

Earlier that morning, things started out normal. Rick and Champ trained at the punching bag (Champ making sure he didn't let his curious eyes wander), then they jogged through the forest path. Champ could hear the melodious chirps of wild Pidgey and rattling screeches of Nincada, yet he couldn't stop and explore or he'd have to answer to Rick's fist.

At the end of the jog, Rick and Champ reached their destination: a big beautiful blue lake. The sapphire surface sparkled and glimmered under the sun's light. Champ was amazed at the spectacular sight. He was so dazzled by the shimmering lake he didn't noticed Rick clipping weighted cuffs to his body. The next thing Champ knew he found himself hurtling through the air, smashing through the stinging surface of the water, slowly sinking, the cold water slithering down his throat...

"Looks like it might rain," Rick observed. "It's kinda grey real far off, but sunny here." He turned to Champ and nocticed him struggling to sit up. "Why haven't you evolved yet, huh? The P-1's only a month away, we can't enter you as a scrawny runt. Maybe that breeder scammed me..."

Rick paused. He stared out into the distance, glaring at nothing in particular. 'People,' he thought. 'I swear, you can't trust anyone nowadays. Everyone's always striving to be on top, scamming and killing eachother, just to be the best. I know the bastard who killed Wanda did it on purpose. They were both competing for executive positions...Wanda's Omni was crushed that night by that jerk's monster SUV...he acted remorseful, but look at him now, he's living the high life in Celadon...'

Rick sighed and looked over at Champ. He was sitting up now, still breathing hard. "Thank god I have you Champ," Rick said, Champ glancing at him from hearing his name. "You're the only thing in my life I can control right now...you trust and listen to me, you do as I say...I can determine your future." Rick then got up. "And I know you're gonna evolve! Now let's jog home, you've rested long enough! Come on, move it! Get up!"

Kick!

Evenings were tranquil. The house's interior was bathed in a gentle purple glow as the last few rays of sunlight were tucked away beneath the horizon. Rick and Rebecca were resting in the living room, listening to the radio, their only source of entertainment. Champ was curled comfortably in Rick's lap, half asleep. The soft jazz flowing from the old radio was suddenly rudely interrupted by the racuous announcement for the upcoming P-1 tournament. Champ felt a slight twinge of worry when the commercial's announcer spoke up:

"The P-1 tournament is almost here! If you've got a Pokemon that's ripped, rough, and ready to rumble, take yourself down to the Pokemon gym and enter now! The prize is ten thousand dollars, plus a free trip for a weekend vacation in downtown Celadon City! So get training, because it's only one, I repeat, one month away!"

The announcement ended with a brief recording of legal gibberish saying something about Psychic, Ghost, Poison and Flying types being prohibited.

As Rick started ranting to Rebecca (who was reading a Pokezoology book and not paying him any attention) about his hunch that the breeder scammed him, Champ hopped out of Rick's lap and made his way to Rebecca's bedroom to find peace. Every time the familiar music of that commercial started playing, Rick would become exciteable and start to pressure Champ about the victory he HAD to accomplish. The little Tyrogue sped up his pace as he reached his destination. In the room he would find Fae, Rebecca's Meowth. Being the only other Pokemon Champ could get into contact with, she taught him how to speak the universal Pokemon language and even took a maternal interest to Champ when he was first born. But now that he was larger than her, she thought that he could pose threat to her unborn kittens, so she had become more distant to him lately.

Champ jumped onto the side of the bed, gripping the quilt laying on top, then hoisted himself up. He groaned, his body aching from the training session earlier. He scrambled to Fae then settled down next to her. She shifted her position slightly to get further away, but Champ didn't notice. While the dark night, in addition to the beads of water droplets resting on the screened window from the earlier afternoon rain, obscured their view of the outside, they where able to listento the noises of the night; the tiny squeaks of Zubat, the screech of Hoothoot, the yelps and howls of distant Growlithe and Houndour packs, and cries of various nocturnal bugs.

<It's so noisy out there> whispered Champ. <Yet I can't see anything outside other than bugs. Where are they all?>

<They're hiding> Fae answered. <They live in the forest.>

Champ sighed. <I wish I could be out there with them.>

Fae snickered, her sharp ivory teeth showing. <If you were out there, I don't know what would get you first, the hungry Growlithe or the poisonous Venomoth.>

<But since they are hiding, I'd be safe if I was just out in the yard, right?>

<Tell that to my past kittens who fell victim to those predators.>

Champ was silent, not knowing how to respond. He lay down up againt Fae, who put her ears back but did not get up. Her soft warm fur and the rhythm of her heart made him feel relaxed. Champ sighed again and cringed slightly as he felt a strange aching inside him he had felt since that morning.

<I don't feel very good.> he said.

<No wonder, Rick's been harder on you than usual. I'm surprised you lasted this long, he's so mean.>

Champ became defensive. <Rick is not mean!>

<How do you explain those daily bruises and scrapes?>

<He's only like that when I do something wrong. You don't understand, Rick's trying to make me better!>

<Better at what?> Fae questioned.

<I don't know...we're preparing for this P-1 thing.>

<Do you know what the P-1 is?>

Silence.

<I thought so> said Fae. <Why don't you rest now, you've had a hard day.>

Champ nodded and closed his eyes. What exactly was the P1 anyway? Was it a special treat or a place? Was it something really great or terrible? Champ rolled over and cringed again from the pain. He didn't feel well, but it wasn't just from Rick's harsh training. He could feel it in his bones, his insides, some sort of unusual pain developing deep within him. After listening to the nocturnal sounds from beyond the screened window, he finally drifted to sleep.

The sunlight bathed the lush meadow in a golden brilliance. The long grass rippled in the wind. The leaves of the trees shimmered like millions of tiny emeralds as they were tossed by gentle breeze. The wind, scented with fresh plants and earth, blew puffy silver-white clouds through the cerulean sky over the majestic mountains in the distance.

"5:00, time to train!" Rick's booming voice announced. Champ awoke but didn't open his eyes just yet, trying to contain the special sensation of that wonderful dream. Once in awhile he'd have that same dream. Champ had never been in an actual field because Rick would never allow him to.

The pleasant memories of the dream disappeared in an instant as soon as Champ moved. Sharp pain shot through his entire body. Even when still, Champ squirmed in agony. It hurt just to breathe. When Rick realized Champ wasn't coming, he went into the kitchen where Rebecca put the sleeping Tyrogue the night before.

"Champ?" He questioned. He was scowling with anger at first, but when he saw Champ shaking, he was now very concerned. Rick poked Champ in the ribs gently to stir him, but that was a mistake. Champ started screeching his Pokemon-species name in agony. Rick jerked his hand away.

"Rebecca!" Rick called. "We're paying a certain blue-haired breeder a little visit!"

Later Rick and Rebecca got into Rick's old red truck. Rebecca had Champ in a blanket but she had to be careful, for the slightest amount of pressure made him cry out in pain again. She was lucky to have evaded the little Pokemon biting her.

"Why don't we go to the Pokemon Center?" Rebecca asked, putting her seatbelt on.

"Because Nurse Joy ain't the one who scammed me!" Rick growled as he started the truck.

Rebecca scowled. "Not everyone in the world is your enemy, Dad! This is the reason you can't get a real job!"

Rebecca immediately shut up when her father glared at her with that "I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that" look. Rick, despite the way he treated Champ, had never struck Rebecca. They used to be very close for Rick's wife, Wanda, worked and Rick stayed home to rear their daughter. Since Wanda died, they had become more distant with eachother, especially now that Rebecca was at what Rick called the the "Edgy Eleven" age.

Suddenly, a small fuzzy yellow and brown blur crossed the road. It was a Pikachu, and of course it paused right in front of the truck and sat on its haunches.

"Holy crap!" Rick cried out. The truck went to a screeching halt, spraying pebbles and flecks of mud. Luckily, the truck stopped in time, only a few centimeters away from the Pikachu. The foolish rodent just flicked its lightning bolt tail and bounded away.

"Holy crap!" Rick repeated. "Ugh, if I had hit that thing, I woulda had to pay one helluva fine! Are you ok, Rebecca? How's Champ?"

Rebecca was holding Champ up against her chest. When she realized what she was doing, she wondered why he wasn't crying in pain. Rebecca unraveled the blanket just enough to have a look, and she gasped.

"Oh my god..." she said.

"What now?!" Rick demanded, full of worry.

"Champ...he's glowing...he's getting ready to evolve!"

mr_pikachu
29th August 2004, 11:39 AM
This was good. Nice ending there, and good work expanding the characterization of everyone. The dream was nice, though I'm not sure the break after it was entirely necessary. It would have flowed better without it, I think.

Your description was nice, especially when it involved Champ's injuries from training. I can understand his confusion about what he's training for; Rick must never have bothered to tell him. He's so determined to reach his goal that he's blinded from seeing the big picture, including how much Champ is suffering.

I do think you need to edit a little more before posting, though. I noticed a few words that were stuck together when they shouldn't have been, like "eachother". There were also cases when extra letters were on words, and a few grammatical errors with tenses and stuff ("He didn't noticed Rick clipping on the weights..."). Also, check the chapter itself after you post. You had the second half of the chapter written twice in this instance. make sure everything's just how you want it before you leave it for the readers. :yes:

This seems to be turning out well, though. Again, the characterization is good, and the plot seems to be moving along at a decent pace. Nice job introducing a new minor character (Fae). It seemed to work pretty smoothly. The dialogue wasn't the greatest, but it still got the point across. And good closing as well with the cliffhanger.

Well, I'll be looking forward to the next chapter! Until then! :wave:

AquaBabe727
30th August 2004, 01:21 AM
Hey Iveechan! I think I remember the last time you posted this fic...did you ever finish it, or is it still a work in progress? I remember liking it then, and I like it now, so the good news is it didn't get worse! Eheheh...anyway, I really like your description, and you do a good job of making your reader feel sorry for Champ. I wish he would like Rebecca; she seem's to actually have his best interests at heart. Yeah, Rick's a jerk, but I kind of feel sorry for him too. He's like a raging alcoholic, but without the alcohol. So yeah, I'm a fan of your writing, and I like your art work as well! Hope you get the next chapter up soon! ^_^

Iveechan
5th September 2004, 03:51 AM
Phuck, how did that happen?! God dammit, now I just made an ass of myself. Damn. Well, it's fixed now *curses more*. Meh... not like I'll ever finish this anyhow and it'll end up being ignored because of those attention whoring trainer fics.

*Note: Any made-up Pokemon you see are my property. No stealy.*

Chapter 3: Shock of Reality

"Name of entry?" The lady at the front desk asked Rick.

"Champ," He answered.

"How original....Age?"

"Six months."

"Height and weight?"

"Um, 4'3" and 82 lbs."

The lady swiveled her chair some to get a better look at Champ. "Huh," she said. "Pretty small for a Hitmonchan."

Rick frowned. "He's young."

"I see," the lady replied. "Well you can't enter Champ in the P-1, he has no gloves."

"Erm..." Rick mumbled. "Gloves?"

Suddenly what felt like a big hunk of meat slapped Rick in the back. He nearly jumped out of his skin, even Champ shot up in surprise. The human and Pokemon spun around and were face to face with a bulky bearded fellow who looked like he could eat an Onix for breakfast. Despite his intimidating stature, the man had a kind and jovial expression.

"Ho hah, I can help ya with that!" The man bellowed in a thunderous voice. "I don't mind losing my place in line, come with me, buddy!"

The large man put his arm around Rick's shoulders and started leading him to a plain door. Rick squirmed with discomfort. He looked back and saw Champ just standing there, wide-eyed with astonishment. That man was the largest creature Champ had ever seen.

"Come on Champ, hurry up!" Rick snarled. Champ snapped back to reality and darted after his trainer and that big, hairy monster. Before following the two men, Champ halted and stared at the long metal door knob. Its height was just under his chin. The day that Champ evolved a month prior was the most bizarre experience. One minute he was twisting in pain, and after a brief blackout, he found himself in an adult's body. In a heartbeat his stubby, thin limbs had formed into powerful, lean appendages. He could cover a greater distance in just a few steps and training with a stronger body and Rick, who was closer to his size, became easier and more enjoyable. Champ puffed up in self admiration. He was ready for anything. Or so he thought.

As Champ entered the equipment room with Rick and the bearded man (who introduced himself as Boscoe), a metallic glint caught his eye. He approached the opposite wall and was greeted by a display of unusual training devices; leather belts lined with steel spikes, massive weights, and long rods with knotted ends among other things. They seemed like objects that would be fitted in some machine, not tools. A teenage trainer, whistling to himself and ignoring Champ, strolled up to the wall, took a belt down, and knelt down in front of a small, grey Pokemon with crimson eyes and crests lining its head who looked to be a humanoid dinosaurian, a Machop. Champ watched on in curiosity. The Machop's red eyes glanced at Champ for a moment and then darted to the floor again as its trainer fitted the belt around its waist. The device looked so huge and awkward on the little grey fighter... would Rick ever use that on Champ? Before he could ponder about the contraption any further, Champ felt Boscoe grab one his hands.

"You see these boney caps on the knuckles and finger joints?" Boscoe pointed out to Rick the red, yellow, and pale blue orbs buried into Champ's hand bones. "These are the source of a Hitmonchan's power. They contain the elements of fire, electricity, and ice. Have you ever seen your Hitmonchan demonstrate any unusual powers when training him?"

"No, I've never seen Champ do anything like that," Rick answered. "He's only been a Hitmonchan for a month."

"Wow, he is young!" Boscoe said. "Well anyway, this ability makes Hitmonchan very deadly in combat and it can't enter any legal tournament without special gloves to help contain its power. Let's go pick out something in your price range."

Rick sighed when he heard "price range". As he followed the helpful Boscoe, Champ remained where he was. He looked at his hands and touched the smooth orbs, swirls of varying hues twisting like smoke inside each one. He never knew they had any important function other than acting as shock absorbers for punching. Suddenly, Champ felt something yank his short lizard tail. The Hitmonchan cried out, the unfamiliar sensation sending a jolt up his spine, and spun around. By reflex, he tried to swipe at whatever was behind him, but the nimble tail-yanker just hopped out of the way. Champ grew hot. <What was that for?!> He demanded. The creature just laughed, it had a feminine air to its voice.

The Pokemon looked similar to a large Tyrogue, but its skin was a greyish-brown taupe color. The three large crests on its head were flexible and flopped forward, indicating it was made of cartilage and not bone. The Bayleef-like eyes were dark blue. Its body had the curves of a teenage female, minus breasts, but the height and head-body ratio of a six year old child. She had unusual diamond shaped cartilage protrusions on her hips and was wearing spring green legwarmers, wrist cuffs, coverings on the chest (similar to Nidoqueen) and what looked like purple stretch pants. The clothed Pokemon seemed amused at Champ, for he was only wearing the waist wrap as usual.

<It was to wish you luck, newbie!> the female Pokemon smiled. <I see you're a Hitmonchan, a close cousin of my kind. What's your name? I'm Aya.>

Champ was silent for a moment. <What are you?>

<A Hitmonchik. I'm not surprised you've never heard of us, we're pretty rare.>

<Oh> said Champ, rubbing his hands in a bashful manner. <Um, yeah, my name's Champ.>

<No. That won't do.>

<Huh?>

<That name> Aya answered. <It's so common. Nearly every male Pokemon here is named Champ. I'll show you...YO, CHAMP IN MAKING!>

There were several trainers with their Pokemon on the other end of the equipment room with Machops, Machokes, and some Rock types. Only three of the Pokemon didn't turn their heads and looked to see who called their names.

Aya snickered. <See? It's too confusing. I want to call you something different.> Aya looked Champ up and down.

<I like my name> said Champ, putting his arms in front of his white chest nervously. He was never modest about his body before, yet having this Hitmonchik eyeing on him made him feel uncomfortable (a Hitmon's reproductive organs are internal in both sexes, so there is nothing physically "questionable").

<Wow, you sure are thin> Aya observed. She then clasped her hands together. <I got it! I'll call you String Bean!>

Champ gave Aya a weird look. She snickered. <Hey, here come our trainers, String Bean.>

Boscoe marched up to the two Hitmon. Aya excitedly jumped on Boscoe's arm and scrambled up to his shoulder. "Hey there darlin'!" Boscoe greeted the Hitmonchik. The two sure were an odd pair, one huge and hulking, the other tiny and delicate. Champ enjoyed the pleasant site, they seemed so happy together.

"Dammit," Rick cursed quiety under his breath. Champ glanced over at his trainer. In one hand he was holding a pair of shiny red boxing gloves, in the other, an empty wallet. He glared at Champ. "Why couldn't you evolve into something that didn't have specific needs?"

Champ just sighed and stood still as Rick shoved those constricting gloves on his hands. He shifted his weight slightly. "Don't move!" Rick hissed. "Mmm... there, that should do. Now listen to me, Champ. I spent my last dime on these gloves, so you HAVE to win this thing. If you don't...well you know what."

Rick got up, gazing intently into Champ's worried eyes. Champ gulped... there was now extra pressure put on him to win this tournament. But what was it really like to fight other Pokemon? Rick and Champ headed to the main room where the battles took place.

"Here we are, Champ!" Rick said. "The point of no return! Now let's go and win us a tournament!"

Rick swung the doors open and he and Champ excitedly ran through. The two slowed their pace and looked around in awe. The colosseum was spacious and dark with several glaring lights illuminating the boxing ring in the middle. The audience surrounding the arena was filled to the max, filling the stadium with chattering commotion. Champ was petrified from both fear and astonishment of the overwhelming activity. Suddenly, a small shot of blood splattered onto the ground in front of Rick and Champ's feet. They faced the ring. It was being occupied by the shaggy swine-monkey Primeape and a beast who looked like a gorilla with a tiger tail and a striped yellow pelt, an Electabuzz. The Electabuzz was leaning against the rope bordering the ring, rubbing the side of its face, scarlette fluid trickling down its mouth. The Primeape was on the other end of the ring panting, its fist out for it had just delivered a powerful blow to the Electabuzz. The Primape's white fur was stained pinkish from the blood of both its opponent and itself.

The Electabuzz snarled. It got down on its hands and feet, swishing its tail angrily. The Primeape took a step back then shot towards the opponent. Electricity flowed over the Electabuzz's body for a moment before it made a surprising leap into the air causing the Primeape to miss its target. The Electabuzz landed on all fours, then took another leap and landed on the Primeape's back. The angry monkey Pokemon screeched as the Electabuzz bit into it. The gorilla- tiger kept letting go and biting, trying to find the Primeape's neck in that mass of thick fur. It snorted in frustration, then started pounding on the wild monkey with its powerful fists.

A red towel flew up from nowhere as a voice called out, "I forfeit!"

A young male trainer climbed over the rope and ran to his Primeape's side. The Electabuzz's trainer, a woman in her mid twenties, congratulated her Pokemon, then held out her hand to the boy. The boy reluctantly shook hands with the victor.

As the announcer claimed "Blitz the Electabuzz" as winner of the match, Rick's mouth was agape in disbelief. He had sparred with Champ, but he'd never taught him to fight like this! While Rick was nervous, Champ was downright terrified. Is this what Rick was expecting him to do?

"Now, ladies and gentlemen," the announcer shouted, "for the ultimate battle of the sexes! The kicking feind, Bruce the Hitmonlee, and the rarely seen Hitmonchik, Aya! This'll be a great match folks!"

Boscoe let Aya out of his arms and she eagerly headed for the ring. "Go get 'em girl!" After seeing what happened in that Primeape and Electabuzz match, Champ felt uneasy. He didn't want to see Aya get hurt.

Aya bounded to the ring with enthusiasm and hopped in. The Hitmonlee slithered into the ring through the border rope with a cat-like flexibilty to his body. As the Hitmonlee got into its fighting stance, Aya started cracking her knuckles and pulling out her fingers one by one so they made a sickening popping sound. She then ran her hand through her crests like it were hair. Aya was just bursting with calm self-confidence.

The bell sounded. The Hitmonlee pulled one leg back, swung it in a circle, then snapped it out. The lithe tendons that connected the cartilage rings in the legs stretched, causing the leg to quickly grow in length, and it rocketed towards Aya's head. She just calmly side-stepped and continued popping her fingers. It was an effortless evade.

<Nice shot, Potato-Boy, was it your intention to miss?> Aya smirked, not even looking up.

The Hitmonlee's eyes narrowed. His leg retracted, then it shot out again, aiming for Aya's stomach. She quickly hopped up. The Hitmonlee's leg then flipped upwards, but Aya dodged in midair. <I think I felt a draft> she said when she landed, brushing off non existant dust.

The Hitmonlee was really frustrated now. He ran to Aya, forcing her into a corner, then started rapidly kicking at her. Every time the Hitmonlee kicked, Aya dodged the attack, flipping, rolling, hopping, and even crouching down and running between the Hitmonlee's legs almost on all fours. She was like a swift piece of paper dodging the deadly jabs of a pair of scissors. With each successful miss, Aya shouted out another insult. <Good one, Spud!> < Almost got me that time, dummy!> <I could do this all day!> <Ho hum, boooring!>

Suddenly, the Hitmonlee jumped up, curled both of his spingy legs against his body, then snapped his deadly limbs right into Aya's side. The impact on her light frame made her fly back and she hit the border ropes hard, landing in a heap. The Hitmonlee watched intensely as Aya struggled up. Her indigo eyes shimmered and tears were beginning to bubble in the corners. The Hitmonlee relaxed his body and approached Aya with concern.

"Finish it, Bruce!" the Hitmonlee's trainer shouted.

Aya looked so weak and pathetic. A stream of tears poured down her face, her small body quivered. The Hitmonlee couldn't help but take pity on her, so he knelt down to her level, one arm outstretched. <You ok?> he questioned.

Like a bullet, Aya smiled, shot up, and punched the Hitmonlee in the face. Before he could regain his composure, she flipped over his head and performed a quick roundhouse kick in his back. Now the fight was serious. Aya, no longer the graceful evader, was now the powerful aggressor. Even her movements were jerky and erratic, dodging and attacking in unpredictable zigzags. She was a headache to watch. The Hitmonlee managed to get a few kicks in, but Aya always recovered in a bounce and struck back.

Just then, the Hitmonlee aimed his left leg at Aya's feet in an attempt to trip her. She evaded, but didn't predict the Hitmonlee's right leg to swing up over her and smash her in the back. Aya fell into the ground, and the Hitmonlee stomped on her. She curled up. She was in real pain now.

"Aya, remember your training!" Boscoe shouted. Champ held his breath.

Aya, still curled up, started to glow bright red. She quickly folded her legs beneath her body, then pushed up and slammed into the Hitmonlee. The red aura surrounding Aya had now engulfed the Hitmonlee. His eyes bugged out, his body shivered, then he collapsed. Aya stuggled up to her feet and looked down at her opponent. She had used Pain Split.

"YAAAAY, WHOOOOP, ALL RIGHT AYA!" Boscoe hollored right next to Rick's head. He covered his ringing ears. Champ was just as excited as Boscoe, jumping up and shouting, "Hiiiitmonchan!"

Aya happily bounded to Boscoe and he hugged her, his huge arms nearly swallowing her up. When she was finally released, Champ approached her.

<Wow, Aya, that was amazing! You're an excellent fighter!>

Aya was indifferent to Champ. <Yeah, I guess. Heh, you're up next, String Bean.>

<Huh?!> Champ gulped...he wasn't ready yet! He needed more time!

"Next up," said the announcer, "we have Champ the Hitmonchan, progeny of past champion Dharmanyo the Hitmonlee, up against Atlas the Poliwrath! Both are newcomers to the P-1, so I guarentee ya'll are about to witness one exciting match!"

Rick started leading Champ to the ring. The Hitmonchan's apple-green eyes darted from the blood-lined ring, to the limping Hitmonlee Aya beat, to the army of staring eyes watching the ring with anticipation, and focused on his opponent, a massive Poliwrath whose dark blue amphibian skin was oozing with a thin layer of filmy slime. Something about its round eyes and mouthless face sent cold chills down Champ's spine. He dug his heels into the ground as Rick pushed him forward.

"Come on Champ, don't be a sis," Rick said to him quietly through clenched teeth.

Suddenly, the Poliwrath's body expanded, and it let out a deep, vibrating croak. That did it for Champ. Scared, he twirled sharply around and buried his face into Rick's stomach, shaking. Rick was both surprised and disgusted by Champ's pathetic attempt to hide himself. It didn't help much that a few members of the audience were snickering, and one lady exclaimed, "Oh look, the dear thing is frightened! How sweet!"

Rick tried to peel Champ off his body. "Come on, go up there, you're making me look like an ass!" Champ didn't budge. "Ok, we can turn back and go home if you like, but boy, I'll give you such a whallop..."

Rick didn't need to finish his threat. Champ backed away and turned around to face the ring. He inhaled deeply and then proceded forward with hesitant steps, the Poliwrath's bulging oculars watching his every move. Even though Champ only walked a few feet to reach the ring, it felt like the green mile. His heart thumped wildly as he and the Poliwrath got into their fighting stances, waiting for the bell to sound the start of the match.

Ding!

Champ's mind went completely blank. The Poliwrath's massive form rushed towards him, its froggish eyes narrowed. It struck Champ in the face leaving a gooey imprint. Champ was thrown back and his head slammed against one of the poles supporting the plastic-covered rope bordering the ring. Hot, sweet fluid filled his mouth...blood. The taste sickened Champ, but a new feeling was rising up inside him. Rage. Rick's training suddenly flashed back to his mind. Champ growled deep in his throat.

He shot up and glared at the Poliwrath, bouncing back and forth in place. He was ready for anything now. As the Poliwrath shot towards Champ ready to slap him again, he dodged to the left, making it miss. The Poliwrath made a sharp turn, almost slipping in its own slime, and attempted a Karate Chop to Champ's throat. Champ dodged again, feinted to the left, then bounced to the right and struck the Poliwrath right between those round eyes he hated so much.

As the Poliwrath pulled back in pain, what felt like a current of electricity shot through Champ's spine, traveled through his nervous system, and burned in his knuckles. Electric sparks danced across his gloves. Champ quickly rushed to the Poliwrath before it could have a chance to recover and took a swing. The electricity of the Thunder Punch connected to the Poliwrath's moist skin. The smell of amphibian flesh being fried filled the air as the electricity pulsated throughout the Poliwrath's body and its eyes bulged. It then collapsed onto the ground with a liquidy thud. Champ took a step back and watched the Poliwrath's twitching body. Then he looked as his gloves, the burning sensation still pulsing in his knuckles. What the heck did he just do? He looked out into the audience to find Rick, as if he'd have the answer.

"Champ, look out!" he heard Rick's voice call out. Champ spun around, but there was no opponent...only a slimey Poliwrath shaped imprint on the ground. He noticed his shadow rapidly expanding. Champ looked up and saw the Poliwrath plummeting towards him from the air. Before he could react, he felt himself crushed by the mega-tadpole's heavy body. The wind knocked out of him, Champ gasped desperately for air. The Poliwrath's damp body reeked of swamps and sweat. It then got up and slammed down again. It repeated again and again, crushing Champ into submission with its damp, bone-shattering mass.

Finally, the Poliwrath ceased. Champ lay there in a slime soaked heap, trying to recover from that deadly Body Slam attack. He could taste a mixture of marshy sweat from the Poliwrath's skin and his own blood. Champ then felt someone scoop him up. It was Rick. He brought Champ close to his body.

"Chaaan..." Champ whimpered. He looked into Rick's disappointed and angry eyes before losing consciousness.

The sunlight bathed the lush meadow in a golden brilliance. The long grass rippled in the wind. The leaves of the trees shimmered like millions of tiny emeralds as they were tossed by the gentle breeze. The wind, scented with fresh plants and earth, blew puffy silver-white clouds through the cerulean sky over the majestic mountains in the distance.

Champ awoke with a jolt. It was that magnificent dream again. He felt good until he realized he lost the match. Not just any match, his first match. All those months of training and preparation, all those harsh beatings he had to endure...what was going to become of him now?

Judging by the vibrations and the crunching of the asphalt, Champ knew he was in the back of Rick's truck on the way home. He sat up and peered over the side, the wind making his eyes water. They were driving past the fields, now golden under the orange evening sky. A flock of plump Pidgey glided across the grass and floated onto the telephone wires to sleep for the night. Two Growlithe puppies playfully wrestled with one another under the watchful eyes of their mother. They reminded Champ of Fae.

A few nights before, feeling anxious and nervous about the upcoming P-1, Champ entered Rebecca's bedroom (she always kept her door ajar)to find Fae. He really wanted to hear her comforting words tell him how he was going to do just fine and not to worry. It seemed like ever since he evolved, Fae had been avoiding him. Champ discovered why. Laying under the window sill and bathed in moonlight was Fae...with tiny, white, fuzz balls mewing and nursing on her. Champ stepped back. What were those things? He gave Fae a questioning look, but she only replied with a cruel hiss. Champ took one last look at the tiny kittens before turning away and leaving the room. He had no one to turn to now. He was alone.

All alone.

There was the old tree stump with yellow fungus growing on it. Just one more turn and they'd be home. The truck stopped and the ignition turned off. A door slammed. Footsteps crunched on the road. Champ's heartbeat accelerated.

"Champ, come here."

Champ obeyed. He had to. Rick was his trainer and today Champ let him down. He approached Rick with both shame and acceptance. He paused in front of Rick, never looking him in the eyes. Rick sighed.

"Why did I name you Champ anyway? I know for a fact you sure as hell ain't one."

WHACK!