PDA

View Full Version : KAYLA ... is coming back. ^^ And Anime discussion..

Bulbasaur4
22nd August 2004, 01:09 AM
OMG, like Kayla is coming back in a day!
*throws out confettii*
*bakes a cake*
*makes lots of candy and buys some too*
*throws a party in other words*
*leaps about like a hyper-anime soul*

^^ yaaay!!

Oh... yeah... but I gotta make this into a valid topic.
*thinks*

Well, I'm not much of an Anime Buyer, but I do have lots of Manga. Some of them contain the full set of Love Hina and Chobits, with bits and pieces of Ayashi No Ceres and Angel Sanctuary.

I was just wonder'n what people thought about the ANIME of Ayashi No Ceres (AKA: Ceres: Celestial Legend)
You know how Love Hina was a Manga, and then became an Anime? Well I thought it seriously sucked... compared to the manga. The girl's faces were fatter and they sorta lost their 'appearance' once they were transfered. Plus I hate the voices.

BUT Ayashi No Ceres was different. i just LOVED the art (Wat rocks.) and the story line and conception of the characters was amazing. Then I was a little worried with the anime... but the art on the cover looked great, and I was NOT disappointed. The art was the same, amazingly wonderful AND the voices actually were great. Aya still had that 'whiney' type additude yet with a sense of serious undertone with in her, and Tooya was still hot.

I was not disappointed!

So... have you had any manga-to-anime disappointments?

Riachu64
22nd August 2004, 01:52 AM
Naruto.

Holy crap. The manga is great. Kishimoto has a great style, but the anime... urk. After the first arc, they suddenly can't decide if they wanna use crappy animators or really good ones. And it's so slow. Flashbacks alllll the time, taking up 2 episodes. Grah, makes me wanna pull my hair out. Though I do rather like the anime (fights and seiyuus are both good), it could have been done so much better.

Last Exile
22nd August 2004, 03:45 AM
yay, will be thrilled to have our #1 fangirl back! ;) Go the fangirls!

Well, Kare Kano (His and Her Cricumstances) is my worst case. The manga is so divine, I'm that addicted to it. Yukino is a gem of a teen female character and she has the wackiest friends. The anime only covered 1/4 of the anime, took out the serious half of the series and diluted the characters, not to mention featuring below-par animation from the sucky GAINAX lot.

Zak
22nd August 2004, 07:45 AM
*Grabs a pocky from the candy stack and dances around the room, pacing back and forth* WELCOME BACK KAYLA-CHAN!!! *Glomps*

rofl Kalah, I saw the title on the main index and it drew me here like a magnet. Anyone would think you're me in disguise... well not anyone. ;)

Anyway, I'm more of an Anime person than a manga one. It would be a bit unfair of me to judge, though, assuming I haven't given it much of a chance. Heck, I even forget which ones I tried. Seriously though, don't wanna stray off the topic, but what WOULD be a good one to start with?

Sorry for the interruption gentlemen, lets continue.

EVme15
22nd August 2004, 08:05 PM
I'm back!
*sees no one*
oh, wait...
*chuckles nervously*
*flips on light switch*
*everyone jumps out and shouts SURPRISE!*
AH!!! Wow! A topic devoted to my return! Wow... never thought I'd see that...
Anyways...

Gravitation.
Helluva manga. Great anime. The problem here is the differance between 'helluva' and 'great'. BIG differance. As a stand alone anime it would have been fine, but if you compare it to the manga it is horrid. You can see evidence from the fifth book in the first DVD. Talk about messing up the order. Now, there's only 13 (I think? My brain just blinked) episodes of the anime versus 11 manga books. They definetely should have made the anime so much longer.

I'm sure everyone who's read Akira is disappointed with the anime. Despite it being a good movie, the manga is SO MUCH BETTER! In the anime, the don't explain enough at all! I don't mean like Eva where they purposely leave you hanging, I mean things like where the heck does Kaname get that gun? They tell you in the manga! *sigh* It really should have been longer. 126 minutes is not enough.

I'm going out on a limb a little, but Jing: King of Bandits was a bit of a let-down. Admittingly, I've only been able to see three episodes (and no, they weren't the first three). The whole style of the manga wasn't carried over into the anime, and the style was one of the things that really brought out the personality of the series. Plus a lot of the mini-jokes you need to re-read the manga in order to get were left out.

Dark Scizor
22nd August 2004, 09:45 PM
Damn, i'm too late for your return :(

Anyway, welcome back Kayla *huggles*

No problems with any manga-anime conversions as i haven't read any manga since no where sells manga around these parts. Well one place does, but its quite expensive and over priced.

Roarkiller
25th August 2004, 10:46 AM
Ill post the opposite.

Ai Yori Aoshi manga was almost crap. The art was nonsense, the fanservice was bordering on hentai, the art was nonsense, the frames didnt really flow, the art was nonsense. Sorry, did i mention bout the art being nonsense?

The anime tho was a MAJOR imporvement. The art was a whole lot better, and the storyline flow was good. Well, im commenting on the 1st season anyway. Anyone who follows this series knows that the 2nd season is juz 12 filler eps they forgot to put in the 1st season.

Last Exile
26th August 2004, 02:48 AM
Ill post the opposite.

Ai Yori Aoshi manga was almost crap. The art was nonsense, the fanservice was bordering on hentai, the art was nonsense, the frames didnt really flow, the art was nonsense. Sorry, did i mention bout the art being nonsense?

The anime tho was a MAJOR imporvement. The art was a whole lot better, and the storyline flow was good. Well, im commenting on the 1st season anyway. Anyone who follows this series knows that the 2nd season is juz 12 filler eps they forgot to put in the 1st season.

Couldn't agree more on that, mate. ;) Agree with you 110%!

Love Hina is an example of where the conversion was reasonable but should have been better, and I stresss should. The ordering was nonsensical at times, some important points were either removed or altered for comical effect, and the whole girl from Keitaro's past was a complete mess to udnerstand in the anime, whereas in the manga, all you have to do is read volume 10 to understand it.

Mystic_clown
26th August 2004, 04:07 AM
Personally it's not the conversion from manga to anime that's the problem. It's the EVIL DUBBERS!! They choose the worst voice actors, alter the script and completely ruin a good thing. They've good what should have been good anime (eg; Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters, Love Hina and much more) and completely ruined them with their terrible voice acting.

As for the whole, 'manga is better then anime' thing. You've got a point. But that's because the manga artists have got all the time in the world, and they don't have to worry about making the characters move.

BTW, welcome back Kayla! *gives Kayla a box of chocolates*

Riachu64
26th August 2004, 05:26 AM
As for the whole, 'manga is better then anime' thing. You've got a point. But that's because the manga artists have got all the time in the world, and they don't have to worry about making the characters move.

BTW, welcome back Kayla! *gives Kayla a box of chocolates*

Mangakas... having all the time in the world? You gotta be kidding me.

Last Exile
26th August 2004, 06:40 AM
I like anime better than manga, at least those that ar edone properly. Last Exile, Chrno Crusade, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Azumanga Daioh, Full Metal Panic?(Fumoffu), FLCL, etc. Now they're good conversions

Time is the issue. I said the specifics in that Watanabe and Kon topic for those interested. The topic's stimulated a hell of a lot of decent discussion at another site.

Roarkiller
27th August 2004, 10:43 AM
Personally it's not the conversion from manga to anime that's the problem. It's the EVIL DUBBERS!! They choose the worst voice actors, alter the script and completely ruin a good thing. They've good what should have been good anime (eg; Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters, Love Hina and much more) and completely ruined them with their terrible voice acting.

I... think most of us r referring to the original one.

Hahaha... damn u have no idea how LITTLE time they have.

Techincally, Tsukihime was from a game. Tha manga came afterwards. Same as Diamond Dust Drops (which was quite good btw). Maybe we should extend this to all categories i.e. some media to some other media conversion.

Dark Scizor
27th August 2004, 10:53 AM
Just one more thing about manga - anime conversions. It wouldn't be the most exciting thing if the anime version of a manga was 100% Idntical, you'd know whats coming up and well after you see a few episodes and listen to the VA's then it would become pointless really.