PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Parents

Zak
23rd August 2004, 09:20 AM
No, this is not the parents names poll, but another question about them.

1. What do your parents do for a living?

2. Do you have any strong intention of getting a similar job as them, getting a totally different job as them, or do you not care where you end up?

1. Mom - Works at home.
Dad - Computer engineer.

2. No, I honestly wouldn't give a million flacks how similar where I end up will be to what they do. I don't get why certain people are so obsessed with getting a job that's nowhere near what their parents do.

~Zak

kainashi
23rd August 2004, 10:30 AM
1. mom takes care of a guy that was in a motorcycle accident. dad works at fords, where he's been the past 16 years.

2. not really. i want to get a job with computers or something, i guess.

Lady Vulpix
23rd August 2004, 10:46 AM
1. They're both doctors, who work on ultrasound diagnosis.
2. I'm on a completely different field.

Gengachu
23rd August 2004, 11:03 AM
My mom's a teacher, and my dad's a minister. I might want to be a teacher.

AntiAsh Superstar
23rd August 2004, 11:50 AM
My mother works at a nursery... and I have absolutely no intention of following in her footsteps. I've no patience or authority, it wouldn't make for a good combination when working with kids. Accountancy's where it's at. :)

Agent Elrond
23rd August 2004, 12:34 PM

Dad: Is self employed

Mom: Is going to be the next Steve Jobs, only 100 x cooler.

2. Do you have any strong intention of getting a similar job as them, getting a totally different job as them, or do you not care where you end up?

Dunno. There are several career opportunities open to me, but I aim to be a best selling novelist one of these days, which would be completely different from wither of them.

Pichu
23rd August 2004, 12:38 PM
1. Dad - Self employment as tutor/stocks/businessman. xD
Mom - Computer engineer.

2. No, I like the biotech industry.

phaedrus
23rd August 2004, 12:41 PM
1. What do your parents do for a living? Mom bakes, dad is an engineer.

2. Do you have any strong intention of getting a similar job as them, getting a totally different job as them, or do you not care where you end up? Different is preferred.

RedStarWarrior
23rd August 2004, 01:57 PM
Mother - Secretary; National Science Foundation
Father - Head UNIX Administrator; Night Vision and Electronic Sensors Directorate
I am currently studying to become a Computer and Electrical Engineer, the computer part of which is similar to my father's job.

Music Dragon
23rd August 2004, 02:39 PM
1: Mother: She works at a library (I get a lot of books that way).
Father: Works at a place called CBG (exists only in Sweden, I believe) where he translates Swedish into Chinese, but also writes some books.
2: I don't mind, I want to become a writer, make games or make movies. It's quite odd though, my Grandfather is a teacher, my Grandmother too, and my Grandfather (from my Dad's side) was a Prof. while my Dad side Grandma was a English teacher. My Great-grandfather was a principal and also worked at the... The... Um, the Ministry of the local blah blah blah something. :sleep: Don't remember what it was. Well anyway, I'm going to become a teacher, for sure. No way I'll become anything else, even if I try.

FireBlast
23rd August 2004, 02:49 PM

1. My mother is a high school English teacher. My father buys parts for machines used by the army, or some crap like that... I don't exactly understand.

2. I don't have any strong intention to do anything with my life. I have no idea what I want to do with myself.

abunaidesu
23rd August 2004, 04:07 PM

1 - my mom doesnt have a job, and my dad works at some office that sucks.
2 - no, im going to be a prositute.

master_alka
23rd August 2004, 04:14 PM
1dad: technician for federal tv station
mom:work for a patent office (not sure for the english word, french=brevet)

2:no, want to do something in art like art teacher or graphist...

Zalika
23rd August 2004, 04:25 PM

My mom is a massage therapist and my father is just a bum who fixes cars, computers, and other crap and then sells them. They hate each other too.

I want to be an Egyptologist and do art and write stories on the side. Completely different from them, and I want to get away from them too. I can't stand either.

~Zalika :ingrams:

Chikoo
23rd August 2004, 06:18 PM
1. My father is a manager at a restaurant.

2. Manager my ass. I don't want to be a cook. :wave:

Eternal Eievui
23rd August 2004, 06:29 PM
Mother, Spanish teacher. Father, computer arts teacher. I don't want to be a teacher, I would rather be a judge or scientist before I become a teacher.

Wolfsong
23rd August 2004, 11:10 PM

My Dad's a Digitial Technician for Bellsouth. My mom, is your basic stay at home housewife.

I dont' really have any intentions of doign the samething as Dad. Much of what he does is extremely complicated and he once tried to explain a case of trouble that he had to me when he got in from being called out. He got in at 10 and began explaning it didnt' get finished till 1 am. I only understood about half of what he said, but it thrilled him that i was listening. I want to do somethign in the medical field, though not exactly 100% sure on exactly what.

Gaborn
23rd August 2004, 11:19 PM
1. Mother - Doctor
Father - Doctor

2. I don't have what it takes to be a doctor. It was actually something that interested me as a kid, but then my Dad came home one day and mentioned that he had to tell a patient that they were going to die. That really turned me off of the profession.

woz
23rd August 2004, 11:56 PM
1. my mum works in an office doing accounts or something like that.
2. no, not really. i plan to do science/computing.

Jay
24th August 2004, 12:05 AM
1. my mother looks after my nan and my dad is a painter/decorator.
2. no. probably something in the teaching/counselling field.

Aipom Of Doom
24th August 2004, 12:15 AM
1. Dad - civil engineer. he designs railroad thingies where they intersect with other railroad thingies and unload trains and things >_>.
Mom - stays at home.

2. uh., I might be an engineer of some sort =P. But I might also do something related to computers or physics.

cd
24th August 2004, 02:23 AM
1. my mum works in a supermarket and my dad in an office/unloading trucks with a forklift or something.
2. i wouldn't like either of these jobs. i just hope my main career is at least kind of enjoyable and also has a decent wage.

shazza
24th August 2004, 03:18 AM
1) my dad works at a school working with computers as an admin, but can also teach maths. he also plays the piano, so sometimes on weekends plays the piano at restaurants and stuff.

2) i don't know.

GupLoaf
24th August 2004, 01:56 PM
1) a. My Dad owns/ runs a Corporate VAR. Basically provides IT equipment & services to large corporations. He started it from our basement when I was 2 years old & now 18 years later it's a multi-million dollar success. I'm very proud of my dad.
b. My Step-mother works with/ for my father heading internal affairs & service.
c. My mother lives down south in FL & she markets for a chain of resorts.

2) I actually work in my father's company with my father & step-mother. My brother's here too, he & I are part of the sales force. He works with our Sun Microsystems vendors & I work with clients like Dow Jones & Reuters. My step-grandmother works here too... she's in Accounts Payable. Love my family & job, wouldn't want to be away from here or them.

Anju
25th August 2004, 02:38 PM
My dad works on auto glass. My mom works with retail.
I want to job that has something to do with Japanese or video games. I basically want a fun job.

Toxicity
25th August 2004, 04:06 PM

1. Mother - Works for an insurance company(just a Florida-only insurance, so she's been busy recently after Charley)
Father - Head coach for varisty American Football/Math teacher at my school. But still, nobody bothers to say a word to me. Before the high school level, he was at the college level and I had to move a lot, twice since I joined. X_X

2. I plan on getting a different job, somehwere among the ranks of political radio pundit and such.