PDA

View Full Version : ¨.Kotoba Masters//Light in the Darkness.¨ [starts, no LSUs]

Sheila Rae
23rd August 2004, 01:33 PM
[FONT=Papyrus]¨.Kotoba Masters//Light in the Darkness.¨

A day will come when this world will be shrouded in darkness, and only they shall be able to return the light. When their strength of mind and heart bypass all physical power, they will come to me with shining kokoro and complete what they had started since the day they were born to the lands of the Earth. I do not know of their names, yet I feel they are a part of me, because that they are, in an explicable way to those who will not accept who they are in their hearts. Something beyond my power will awaken, and what ever it brings will be dispelled by the words of light they bring forth. Their simple being will cause the Earth to rise with the same darkness and it will link with the evil which already plagues the Earth. When nothing remains but the kokoro they brought to me, the legend which I tell now will be shattered and the remnants will be scattered to become parts of another world. All of them and their light will salvage us from the darkness when I have failed.

*kokoro: a Japanese word, commonly used to mean heart, although the full and literal meaning is “the centre of emotions, feeling, and thoughts.”

There are seven normal people living in a place called Earth. They are not aware that a strong malevolence has awoken in a world essential to their own survival, and that they are about to become a part of it…

The world of Miraculous Revival, more generally called Mire, is a world that could be called an extension of the Earth. This place is kept peaceful by the blessings of two goddesses and two gods who were formed by the pain not borne by those on the Earth. This iniquity cannot be quelled by the four spirits, for it has brought fourth with it a darkness that surpasses the strength of the spirits. The creator of this darkness bears the name of Cazu, but her victims are not the gods and goddesses of Mire. To help protect Cazu’s real targets, the spirits sought the seven Kotoba Masters.

Each master is the son or daughter of a spirit, and once they had passed the trial brought upon them by their spirit, they are brought to Mire for initiation. Kotoba Masters hold the power of words, and they must use the word in their heart to raise Mire from its plummet into darkness. These words and the power they possess are called Kotoba Words. However, one word alone is not powerful enough to befall Cazu, but the strength and combination of them from the Kotoba Masters may be the key escape the haze of darkness.

Cazu alone does not stand as the only threat to Mire, as Mire is not the only place in danger. The awakened Cazu has brought forth twins of the Kotoba Masters, exact look-alikes who are only definable from the originals by one, nearly undistinguishable feature. They wield the Hotai Words, just as prevailing as the Kotoba Words but filled with evil and loathing. Because of the mere existence of the Kotoba Masters in Mire, the twins are able to shirk the barrier of the spirits and end up on Earth. There they can cohort with those on Earth who carry hatred in their souls. The Hotai Twins can pass freely between Earth and Mire, eliminating their prey at their convenience. The Kotoba Masters must now battle between two worlds, working their way to Cazu with only the Kotoba and maybe a chance weapon, yet... Never underestimate the power of words.

Kulasiri
Kulasiri was formerly an angel who wished for there to be a place where lost souls could go. From the wishes of her heart Mire was created, but it became more than she ever wanted. The other gods and goddess rose from Mire to assist her in whatever ways possible. Her truest form is an elegant phoenix with crimson and gold plumage. She is the guardian of Mire, but there are times when she cannot protect her world from an outside force. She can take the form of a young woman who has flaming red hair with blond streaks, a cream and orange scarf and a sleeveless red dress.

Kohrio
This spirit is the form of an ice dragon, with silver fangs and smooth scales of a blue shade. His main duty is to be Kulasiri’s messenger, but he will do other tasks he deems necessary. Kohrio is an intellectual type, and he enjoys passing his time in the far reaches of Mire pondering the depth of the universe or his very own existence. His alternate shape is a sage with flowing blue robes and piercing black eyes.

Nieva
Nieva is the other goddess spirit. Her real form is that of a silver tiger with black stripes and amber eyes. She can turn into a little girl with gray ears and a tail with stripes for a more basic form. Nieva controls all the weather on Mire, as well as the climate. She was once a soul that was trapped on earth but then revived as a spirit by Kulasiri. At times she feels out of place, so she does her best to help Mire and the other spirits while enjoying her freedom.

Cragne
Cragne is the last spirit god. He is a griffin whose feathers and fur are made of solid stone. His job is to create all the landforms and topography on Mire. His other form is an eagle with rocky feathers. Because of this small and mobile form, he is the one who often speaks the souls on Mire and helps accommodate them, but only when it is absolutely needed. He has the most credibility for making the breech between the Earth and Mire, although all the spirits created it.

The sign-up topic can be found here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?p=472453).

List of Players
Laguna Riviera - Kulasiri > Sheila Rae (me)
Kathy Derose - Kohrio > VirtualPlay
Alice Pederson - Nieva > Ali
Kalad Talnoras - Cragne > Kalad1
Alden Factoria - Kohrio > Tsukasa
Paul Morrensen - Nieva > Psychic_Suzanne
Kunia Montegory - Kulasiri > Tiger_2007

Here's my sign up!
Name: Laguna Riviera
Goddess/god: Kulasiri
Appearance: She is a little short for her age, standing at about 5’2”. Her skin is slightly tanned, but she would still be classified as “Caucasian.” Her black hair is braided into two braids that go all the way down her back. Her eyes are a very deep and rich blue, like the depth of the ocean. Laguna wears an Asian style shirt with cap sleeves. It is black with flowers and dragons embroidered on it with red thread. The fabric crosses over from the shoulder, with black buttons. The neck comes up a little, and all the edges on the shirt are lined with black silk. She has black pants that stop a little bit past her knees. They get thinner near the knees and then bell out. A red strip goes the side of each leg. There is a very small black butterfly tattoo are the outside of her right ankle with 哀しみ (kanashimi) very small under the butterfly (will be explained in history). On her feet she wears dark brown sandals made of faux leather.
Personality: Laguna is carefree and independent for the most part. She has learned the worrying about things too much in life will only make them worse. She is agile and athletic, making her a good fighter. However, she would prefer not to fight and only defend herself it that is what’s necessary. She is friendly to everyone, but she doesn’t have that many friends because she has been betrayed by them in the past and she doesn’t want any new ones to do the same. She rather greet everything has it comes with a smiling face and hope for the best. Despite her relaxed and simple nature, she can be serious when the time calls for it. Although she may seem simpleminded, Laguna can play almost any musical instrument decently. She usually keeps her playing and singing on a private basis because she thinks people will not like her music. She is not really afraid of anything and will stand up in against a fatal threat if someone is by her side.
History: Laguna grew up in New York City with music in life. At a young age, she learned to proficiently play the lute being taught by her older sister, Kaede. She became very proficient, and that is her favourite instrument and her “specialty.” Kaede also taught her flute and the cello. Her mother was also very musical and taught Laguna and her sister piano, violin, and viola. Her father tried to indulge in playing the guitar and percussion, but he was always very busy at his job and almost never saw his family. When she was in kindergarten, she brought her lute for show and tell, and all of the children were touching it and plucking the strings and not seeming to have any kind of respect, like Laguna didn’t really mean anything. Since that incident, she has kept her music limited to her house and private chambers as much as possible. Still, Laguna loved Kaede and her mother. When she was only eight, Kaede and her mother were involved in a head on car crash. Her father took her to the scene of the accident; she saw white cloths cover them, and they were wheeled away on stretchers...and she never saw then again. She lived in grief for almost the next two years. In spite of losing half his family, her father still worked as long of hours as always, starting for her a more independent life. Laguna lived in grief for nearly two years until one day someone on the street handed her a pendant that looked like two wings rising from an open box. She never saw the person’s face or heard their voice, but she felt that they were a part of her. She dreamed she was with them, but whenever she awoke she could never remember what they looked like or what she did with them; all she had was the reassuring feeling that lingered. That prompted her to live life a different way, for what she was now, not those who passed. When Laguna was twelve, four years after Kaede and her mother had died, she passed a car accident on her way home from school. That aroused the sadness in her, but she decided it wouldn’t control her life again. Instead, she got a tattoo of a butterfly labeled with 哀しみ as an everlasting memory of Kaede and her mother. She had become more familiar with New York City, Manhattan in particular, and she basically did what she wanted whenever she wanted...she was free, yet in confined at the same time.
Word/Meaning/Ability: Malaak (faith) In addition to good offense, Malaak can create a barrier shield as part of its high defense and then has the power to levitate Laguna and those touching her.
Word Symbol: here (http://home.att.net/~hitchi/malaak.gif)
Other Weapon: Ya to Yumi (bow and arrow) – In Mire, she receives a bow and arrow set.
Relationships: She would like to have sincere friends, but she is wary of making friends if they are not. She is also open for a relationship, but she has the same worry as with friends. I can’t really put anyone…no other characters yet, heh.
Other: She almost always carries her lute with her wherever she goes (in its case of course). The case itself is black with a silver moon and eye design on it. It is round and about two feet in diameter, with a shoulder strap.
~~~~~~
Name: Mara
Different feature: She has a thin streak of dark blue in her hair, barely noticeable in her right braid.
Word: Sabathia (cynicism)
Word Symbol: here (http://home.att.net/~hitchi/sabathia.gif) it be
Other: *kicks Other’s butt with a stick* (Hey, I didn’t say that you couldn’t kill this one!)

How is it that I started working on this before the end of last school year, and then it doesn't start til two days before school? Why doesn't the world make sense anymore?

-:|:-Lauguna Riviera.Kulasiri-:|:-

It was another fresh morning in New York City. The bright sun was partially blocked out by the skyscrapers. The chirping of birds was drowned out by the sounds of traffic just on the other side of the tree line. I was walking through Central Park, on my way to the discount book store where I bought my manga. A rollerblader whizzed by me. The green foliage slowly faded as the concrete world took over.

The streets became a blend of yellow as the taxis quickly outnumbered regular automobiles. I walked down the sidewalk, my lute over my shoulder. Although it was only morning, heat reflected from the cement was trapped between the buildings. It was merely the start of a hot day. The warm air still was pleasant. My walking was uneven as I twirled around. It felt so good just to be alive. I was like a grain of sand on a beach, so little in this city. I was so insignificant, that the fact that I had my own heart and thoughts was a blessing. Weaving between skyscrapers that were superior to me, I felt so happy to be among them.

“What’s up with the girl? What’s she carrying over her shoulder?” I heard a woman whisper?

“I don’t know. Don’t even pay attention to her, there are a lot of weird people in this city,” a man with her replied. I smiled. If that’s what it was, I loved being a “weird person in this city.”

I decided it would be quickest if I cut through an alleyway. I stepped fearlessly into the darkness as if it were my home. Then I felt an unexpected tug on my capris and a small voice. “Excuse me, young lady, can you help me?” I spun around to find a destitute boy behind me. I gave a small gasp, barely audible. “I can’t find in the homeless shelter. Everyone I’ve talked to says it’s in a bad part of town and they won’t take me there…” It took me a moment to find my voice. I clutched the little loose fabric of my pants nervously.

After a deep breath, I nodded and smiled. “Sure, just follow me,” I said.

“Really? Even though it’s in a dangerous area of the city, you’ll show me—? “

“Of course! I’ve been all over…it’s really not too bad,” I replied. I strode forward like a real leader, something I never really felt I was before in my life. I zigzagged up and down streets and between allies, trying to stay out of sight and be safe. Periodically, I checked behind me to see if the boy was still trailing behind me. He stayed silent our whole trip, as did I. As we passed broken down buildings, a harsh wind blew though the crooked windows, chilling me. The grey rubble and debris was so depressing and frightening as we heard the echo of a gunshot ricochet of the crumbling walls. We eventually came to a newer structure, the homeless shelter.

“Here we are!” I said, breaking the long wordlessness.

“Oh, thank you,” he said, starting up the steps to the door. “I think…I think you are the light that guided me here,” he said. Before I had a chance to speak, the door shut behind him. I choked back a tear as my heart pounded. It amazed me how someone could see so much good in a person they didn’t know, especially a person like me. A simple act like pointing out the way to someone could mean the world to them.

Loud screams jolted me back into reality like a lightning bolt. I darted away as fast as I could, out of this crime ridden neighbourhood. I ran with my head down until I knew I was safe. Reorienting myself, I began to head in the direction of the book shop. It didn’t seen quite as wonderful of a day anymore, now knowing that it really wasn’t wonderful for everyone. The heat from the developing morning started to stifle me. The people and places I was passing were all a blur, until I approached the bookstore. I knew the owner of the store from my regular patronage, so hopefully I could get a discount on whatever I bought today.

I opened the door and proceeded through the narrow doorway. A young new worker was reshelving books near the front of the store. He seemed busy, so I passed him and headed towards the manga. My footsteps must of arisen a concern in him as he looked up to speak to my back.

“Sorry, you can’t bring that in here, ma’am.” (I hated when people called me ma’am, or young lady. Miss, please, or just my name. That’s two in one day.) It was self-evident that he meant my lute. Many times in my day people have told me that I couldn’t “bring that in here,” wherever place of business I might be. I didn’t know what exactly they were after; perhaps they were afraid it might knock over merchandise, or maybe they thought it would discourage the patronage of other customers. Despite the reason, there was always a simple solution.

I looked over my shoulder at him. “Sorry, did you say something?” I asked in a sincere voice.

He turned red. “N-no, nothing. Let me know if you need help with anything!” he said is a rush. I turned around and found the manga shelf. Instead of buying the next volume of Alice 19th, I decided to start a new series that got a good review in a magazine, Angelic Layer. I pulled volume one off the shelf and walked to the counter. The boy from before halted what he was doing and behind the counter to ring it up.

“That will be five dollars and forty six cents, please,” he said. I handed him a ten dollar bill. He took of the keychain off his belt and began to unlock the cash register. He had trouble turning the key, like he was trying to thread a needle without an eye. After another minute of struggling, it finally popped open. He took my tender and changed it, handed me two ones, two quarters and four pennies. Quickly, he closed the drawer.
“Excuse me, I need two more dollars,” I said.

“What? Oh, I thought I gave you four…” he mumbled.

I held up the two bills. “No, only two,” I confirmed.

“Well, can you just not worry about it, you saw how long it takes to open the register.”

“I’d rather not, I still want to eat lunch and dinner today,” I said. The guy still turned up his nose. “Please, give me my money,” I instructed him, unwavering. He rolled his eyes but opened the cash register (after a couple minutes of effort) and gave me to money. Just then, the owner walked in from the back room of the store.

“Why hello, Laguna! Is everything okay out here?”

“Everything’s fine now, Ms. Ippolito!” I replied cordially.

She nodded and I left the store with book and wallet in hand. I wasn’t sure what I sure I should do next, so I began to wander aimlessly around Manhattan. The heat was starting to get at me. The scene was normal, people coming and going in a hurry, the normal sidewalk performers, and the oddly pleasing polluted air. The streets, the buildings, the atmosphere, everything was teeming with energy. Yet it seemed that there were iron bracelets on my ankles, I was the only one moving slowly in this speeding world. Walking aimlessly, I felt lost in a place I knew like my own heart.

Glancing up, I found myself near ground zero of the World Trade Centers. It was a site I passed nearly daily, but this was the first time in at least a year that I ventured to the memorial. I silently walked up to the chain fence where most of the letters and messages were hung. There was a large banner with many paper pockets. Each one held an origami crane, and under each wing was a seed. Written at the top of the whole thing was “A gift from the schoolchildren of Meijin Elementary School.” I was amazed that people across the ocean, so far away, could care about the tragedies and hardships of those they never met, giving such a gift from their heart.

I stepped slowly and quietly, trying my best to be silent. It was like if I made one forbidden move, a car alarm would sound. I gazed around, not focusing on anything in particular, everything was blurring into one mass. My feet were dragging. A cloud moved in front of the sun and a breeze swept this way, suddenly chilling the surroundings. The pulse of sad music encompassed me, the song bleeding its last notes and dissipating in to the air. Sitting curled up on the ground, a young girl sobbed quietly. I knelt down beside her.

“What’s the matter?” I asked in a barely audible whisper.

“It’s mommy…she died here…” the girl murmured. I gasped. My head swirled with thoughts and memories, sucking me inside. I tried to swim out of the whirlpool, back to what was at hand.

“My mom, she died, too. Not here…somewhere else,” I said softly. The girl’s tears strengthened and she stood up as I embraced her. In each other’s arms, although we had only met by chance now, we held something in common. A large part of us was missing, and it made us different, although we did not like to speak of it. The girl shook like a brittle leaf in fall. I smoothed her short, chestnut hair, my attempt of solace. Our tears flowed like a stream, but combined they could not make what we lost.

“Where’s your dad?” I asked softly.

“He’s over there by the fence, talking to mommy. I don’t know what’s wrong with me…why he can see her and I can’t…” she sighed. My composure shattered, as my face became soaked with tears. How do you explain something like that to a child? I didn’t understand either, what’s wrong with us that we had to have to most important thing taken from us…?

“Do you want to read a storybook?” I asked quietly. She nodded. I pulled out Angelic Layer and opened it from the back. “My name is Misaki. I’m in junior high.” I started. “I’m supposed to be picked up by my aunt, but I can’t find Tokyo station!” The story continued with Misaki lost in Tokyo, her antics, and findings.

“That girl’s silly,” the one beside me side. Lines still streaked her face.

“Yeah, I guess she is,” I said, sniffling.

A few more minutes passed, and then a man’s voice rang out. “Katherine! Katherine, where are you?” The girl scrambled to her feet.

I clutched her arm before she could run off. “Remember, you can always talk to your mom in your heart. Even if she’s not able to answer, she can still here you,” I whispered. She nodded and ran to meet her father.

I slumped into a pile on the ground. Then I felt myself turn upside down and unable to open my eyes.

-:|:-:|:-:|:-

When I could open my eyes, I couldn’t see anything. Had I gone blind? A sweltering heat encased me, suffocating me, closing me off. I tried standing up without bumping my head into anything. I held my hands in front of me, feeling around. Where was I? My palm hit something flat and firm. I ran it up and down the surface, feeling its texture. If I wasn’t mistaken, this was the bark of a tree. I looked up, but there was nothing but darkness, unfolding and consuming.

The heat, the trees, the ground…I knew what this was. A forest, where the trees grew so close, sunlight could not come in and the excess warmth could not go out. Why, my worst fear, here? I had to get out. I began to sweat profusely, through nervousness.

Stepping carefully, I wove between trees. I had no idea if I was heading deeper into the woods or towards an exit. My breathing was vehement and uneven. I tripped on an open root and cried out. Leaves from the groundcover brushed against my skin. I struggled to rise, shaking. Please, stop. Please, I wanted to get out. Please, I wanted this to end. End…

I had to regain my composure if I was going to get out. I did the best thing I knew to calm myself. Softly, I began to sing: “Wishing on a dream that seems far off, hoping it will come today.” I started to walk on, continuing the song. “Into the starlit night, foolish dreamers turn their gaze…” My movements continued, growing more fluid.

The end of the song approached. “Now all I need…is my star to come…” A brilliant light filled my view, causing me to shut my eyes. After my mind willed it safe, I opened them in a completely different place.

I was in a green field, surrounded by a river, with a tributary flowing into the distance. Beyond the opposite riverbank was a staggered line of trees, then mountains reached to the sky. The whole sky seemed dimmed by a gray fog.

Everything seemed so perfect and secluded. I looked up at the sky, and a fiery bird flew down near me. It appeared to be a phoenix, I’d like to believe this. This was way too organized for a dream, so what could I be? My heart jumped when the phoenix spoke to me.

“I have been awaiting your coming, my daughter. Do you recognize this place?” she asked.

“No, I’ve never been here before,” I replied shyly.

“That is for the better, but now I need you. You have passed the trials of charity, assertiveness, compassion, and courage. I knew you were my daughter all along. Now, I must make a proposition.”

I waited for her to continue. “Welcome to Mire. I am Kulasiri, one of the four spirits who watch over this world. However, a darkness has come upon us, surpassing our strength. Will you become a Kotoba Master and once more bring light to our world?”

I barely hesitated. “What do I have to do, exactly?” I asked.

“I will explain more when the others arrive here,” Kulasiri said.

There was no doubt. “Well then, it sounds a little tough, but I believe can do it!”

There was a sudden gust of wind, and the whole air sounded different. Kulasiri’s voice echoed like a thought. A hand touched my forehead. “Bestow upon this child the power enclosed inside her own kokoro.”

The wind ceased, and my hair rested against my back again. “I feel something…something I want to say, but I can’t…” I said.

“That is your power, for you as a Kotoba Master,” she replied. “It is beginning to awake, but is still asleep.”

I nodded. Walking over to the river, I peered at my reflection. Time would flow by like this river, and I would have to flow with it.

Okay, so just post the trials your character goes through to prove yourself to your god/goddess person. It doesn't have to be four necessarily, whatever you feel necessary for your character. ;)

VirtualPlay
25th August 2004, 03:15 AM
Finally it starts and I'm too busy with work to see it actually go off. And may I say, that is one nicely-long post…time to put my posting brain into higher gear.

~~~ Main ~~~
Name: Kathy (Katharine) Derose
Goddess/god: Kohiro
Appearance:
Average height, about 5'5" tall, with a fairly skinny frame. Her skin is rather pale, due to the fact that she doesn't get out much (History). Her hair is a medium dark brown, barely reaching the small of her back and often kept loose; she doesn't have bangs, either. Her eyes are mostly green, except the right side of her right eye is blue; it's very noticeable, but only if you look her straight in the eyes.
She is somewhat girly in what she wears, often seen wearing some kind of skirt and matching shirt. What she's wearing now is no different. She has on a sky blue soft cloth skirt with thin white stripes down the sides, reaching a couple inches above her knees (like the skirt here (http://www.virtualplay.net/img/rpg/image1_skirt.png), but with a skinnier white stripe). Her shirt is a same-color baby-doll tee, with the word "Angel" on it in slightly cursive letters, which has a halo around/over the "A." Her socks are white, and they go just above her ankles. Her shoes are like these (http://www.virtualplay.net/img/rpg/image2_shoes.png), except the black is the same sky blue. She's also wearing a sky blue (just to match, y'know?) headband in her hair, as well as a thin gold ring set with a small blue topaz (for December, her birthmonth).
Personality:
Extremely anti-social, she doesn't like meeting new people because she doesn't know what to say or how to act. She's not a recluse, though, because she does have some friends whom she likes talking with. She just isn't good with new people...although if the other person can say the right things, she'll open up after a little bit. She doesn't do outings very often, but prefers to stay inside and do stuff online.
History:
Kathy grew up with extremely concerned parents who made the mistake of trying to coddle her and keep all the bad things from her. They were rich, so they could keep her happy with just about anything she wanted. Of course, she also grew up with the internet, and by the time she was ten she had learned what her parents were trying to do. Since then she continued to give the appearance of being a sheltered child while slowly growing wiser behind her parents' backs.
Growing up with internet and very few friends not online, she never really learned how to make friends in the real world. She's not a good speaker, sometimes stuttering slightly when trying to talk with someone. She is, however, bountiful with useless knowledge, as well as some very useful knowledge, if you can get it out of her.
Word/Meaning/Ability:
Yasashisa / "gentleness" (Japanese) / Despite seeming like an innocent word, gentleness is something evil cannot bear to touch, and so it harms them greatly; in addition, Yasashisa heals those with good and/or pure hearts, as well as cushioning most any other pain that might come along.
Word Symbol: Paint sucks, PSCS rules. Clicky! (http://www.virtualplay.net/img/rpg/image3_yasashisa.gif)
Other Weapon: (Just so you know, I've been addicted to SCII for the past week...) A set of Elbow Blades (these) (http://gallery.felixmcli.org/albums/sc2-w-talim/talim_w_1.jpg) {c/p the link} are her weapon. However, she only partially knows how to use them because although she spent quite a while watching Talim use them (http://gallery.felixmcli.org/albums/sc2-ag-ill/sc2_gallery_illus_04.jpg) {c/p the link again} when she played SCII, as well as gathering what little information she could find online on how to use them, she has never touched a set until she gets to Mire.
Relationships: Well, she could open up to Laguna fairly quickly, if you want, SR
Other: I kind of based her off of what I guessed I might look like if I was a girl. Maybe I'll attempt drawing her (ha!) but probably not.
~~~ Twin ~~~
Name: Kelly
Different feature: Instead of the right side of her right eye being blue, the left side of her left eye is blue, kinda like a mirror image.
Word: Zankoku / harshness
Word Symbol: Clicky again! (http://www.virtualplay.net/img/rpg/image4_zankoku.gif)
Other: {Most of the images I found for the sign-up were with GIS, and I edited the one with the skirt so that it was the color I wanted it to be.}
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kathy
~~~~~~~~
You know, it's bad enough to watch a break-up slowly happening between two people you know, worse if you're close with one or both of them. Worse still is if the break-up is between you and someone. But what's still worse than that is when someone online, whom you've never met in person, yet know so well that it was like you were meeting daily, is in the middle of a break-up and then asks you for advice on getting out of it.

To top it off, I had zero experience. Zero. As in, I had been in absolutely no close relationships before, nothing more than good friends. One of which was currently doing what I just explained.

'OK, I'm gonna help the best I can…' I typed to Rachel, the girl with boyfriend problems who had asked me to help. So I started with, 'how long has the problem been going on?'

Turns out she had been suspecting that he might not have been totally there for a couple weeks now. Even I could tell there was something wrong with that. I don't know how I knew what to say, but somehow I said it. I ended up telling her that she should try and express her concern to Mark (the boyfriend) and be as open as she could.

As she was already in a conversation with him, it took a total of twenty minutes before the situation was resolved. Rachel told Mark how she felt, how she was kinda suspicious. Mark said he didn't realize that he was coming off as distant, logged off, and showed up at Rachel's house in fifteen minutes.

I was happy, happy for both of them. Sure, I had nobody myself, but I could easily be happy with getting my friends back closer together. I didn't need anyone myself to enjoy that. Just because I was completely anti-social didn't mean I had to make others suffer so they could see how I felt about it all.

In fact, I felt so good about it, I decided to do something I didn't do very often: I decided to go walking around town.

Now let me get this picture in your head. I'm a little smaller than average for my age, and I definitely look like I don't belong outside. Yet I was wearing a shortish skirt and a body-hugging shirt, which exaggerated my features beyond what they really were. Yet I still looked weak. Which I was.

And I come from a rich family. I mean rich. Not Gates-rich, but definitely somewhere in the top 200 or so richest families of the world. And I was easily recognizable.

Basically, I was being stupid by going out like I was. If you hadn't figured it out already, I was pretty much an easy target. You know, for gangs and such. Of course, I expected the gangs to hang out in the dark alleys like they usually did.

They didn't today.

"Hey there, Miss Derose," the leader said, suddenly appearing over me. Literally. As in, he was so much taller than me he was leaning over me, and his head was vertically above mine. He had black, unkempt hair and a definite amount of stubble on him. Two more guys flanked him, but when he spoke these words, they moved on either side of me. They, too, looked unruly in appearances. But I could tell that any one of them was stronger than me. And all three were eyeing me hungrily.

'Not today,' I thought insistently. The leader reached out with a sausage-fingered hand to try and grab me, but I was already gone. Squeezed between the two flanking men. Running down the sidewalk. I knew I couldn't outrun them, but maybe I could hide. Problem was, where to hide?

Just before I reached the corner of the sidewalk at the 4-way intersection, a boy about my age came out of a door. He looked at me with wide eyes and mouthed my name like he couldn't believe I was right there in front of him. Then he looked behind me, and his already-wide eyes widened more.

The boy found his voice. "I-I think I can hide you, do you trust me?"

This surprised me. I did the fastest double-check ever of the boy. He gave no indication of hidden motives, he seemed genuinely scared of the men behind me. I seemed to have this 6th-sense feeling that he was being honest.

"Yes," I said, surprisingly calm.

"Then come with me," he said shortly, and before I realized what had happened he grabbed my hand and was pulling me around the corner. Rather than yell or scream, I let him pull me without resisting. He seemed to know what he was doing. Sure enough, right around the corner was another door. This one was locked, but by the time we had stopped, the boy was already jamming a key into the hole.

By the time the three thugs were around the corner, the two of us were behind the closed (and re-locked) door. They looked around, confused, then after a couple minutes gave up and walked away.

"Sorry I pulled so hard." I jumped, as I had forgotten I was about 2 feet from the boy.

"No, it's quite alright," I said. He unlocked the door. "Actually," I added, "that was the most fun I'd had in quite a while." He blushed.

"Well, I guess I'll see you around," he said, then walked back around the corner the other way. It was this last act that confirmed the thought that I had been right in trusting him; he had done it at his own risk, and even though he knew who I was, didn't ask for any kind of reward.

I kept walking in the direction I had been heading. It was getting later in the day, so more people were walking around on the sidewalks. Soon I saw something that piqued my interest: a grand opening for a new designer store. It was across the street, so I went to the corner and pushed the button.

BING A-LING A-LING

I looked around, startled. Right there behind me was one of those red Salvation Army tins, with the guys ringing the bells. My first thought was, 'They're awfully early, they don't usually come until much closer to Christmas.' Then I realized that there were lots people around, each of them just walking right by the red tin. The little red tin that screamed out, "People are needy!"

"Yes," I agreed, saying the word out loud. People needed money for food, and I didn't need it for clothes. I had enough; hell, I had more than enough. I walked back, away from the crosswalk, and put the two $20s that I had planned to spend on clothes into the little red tin.

I knew no sane person would put that much in. They'd want to donate, yes, but they'd find a dollar or two, or maybe only some spare change. But I had the money. Had it, but didn't need it. Others needed it. Needed it, but didn't have it.

I kept walking, feeling in better spirits than when I had woken up this morning. Three times I had been troubled, and three times I made a decision that made me feel better. Pretty soon I found myself in the park. I don't know why I was there, it's just I felt compelled to go there. Like I had meant to go there all along.

That's when I heard the voice.

<Kathy…> it said. I jumped, looked around, and upon seeing nobody near me, began to panic. I was slightly afraid of the illogical, and disembodied voices was definitely illogical.

"H-hello?" I said meekly, trying not to get too hyped up.

The voice only repeated, <Kathy…>

That's when something clicked. See, the break-up situation I could see happening. The gang not being in the alleys, and the boy suddenly being there could have happened as a coincidence. The Salvation Army going out to collect both earlier than usual and across from a grand opening sale I could understand. But all three of them on one day? Something wasn't normal. Which meant…

…which meant this disembodied voice was a test. Another test. This time, a test of my fears. A test to see if I would pass or fail.

I was never a failing student.

"Hello, disembodied voice," I said, suddenly more assertive than before. "Mind telling me what's going on?"

I heard the laugh, even though I couldn't see the laugher. <Would you rather I showed you?> it said.

"Yes," I said calmly. Instantly, there was a flash of light and I found myself no longer on the ground. Then just as suddenly, I was back on the ground. Grass, like the park I had just come from. That's when I noticed the dragon. You know how most dragons you hear about are fire-breathing? I was pretty sure this one was ice-breathing.

"Hello," he said, and I realized that it had been his voice I had heard. "I am Kohiro, a god over this place. This place is Mire, normally a happy place. However, in this happy place there is a darkness, a darkness that is spreading and overpowering the world." Somehow the lizard-like face smiled, although I'll never be able to explain it. "I need you to help with getting rid of this darkness."

"Right," I said. "Why me?" I asked, though I already suspected the answer.

"You passed the trials I set out, the trials of selflessness, of faith and trust, of charity, and of courage in the face of the unknown." He smiled again, and I found myself smiling as well. "You also surpassed even my expectations by figuring out the test near the end."

"Alright," I said, grinning, "I'm in, but what do I do?"

"Will you become a Kotoba Master?" Kohiro asked. "Will you bring light to the world of Mire again?" I could tell by the way he was asking that he already knew my answer. I felt I should be proper about it, though.

"Of course I'll do it," I answered. Although I'd have to find out what a Kotoba Master was first.

Kohiro's voice then went all echoey, and I felt a hand press against my head, even though I saw none. A sudden gust of wind came up as Kohiro said, "Bestow upon this child the power enclosed inside her own kokoro."

Then everything went still and quiet like before. That's when I felt the tugging inside. A small tugging that made me want to say something, but I didn't know exactly what to say.

"You feel it, don't you?" Kohiro said, his voice normal again. "That is your power as a Kotoba Master. It has yet to awaken inside of you."

That's when the other nagging, the one that had been there since first talking with Kohiro, surfaced. "Wait, am I to do this alone?"

Kohiro looked startled. "Oh my, no, you will be aided. Already we—we being the four gods of the land of Mire—have been actively collecting a small group of people who are as worthy as you to be Kotoba Masters. You most definitely will not be alone."
~~~~~~~~
There, hope that works. z_z'

Psychic_Suzanne
31st August 2004, 05:48 PM
GAAAH! Got grounded for like, a month, and now I don't know what's happening with any of my RPs. Oh, well. This one's just started so I won't get so lost.

Name: Paul Morrenson
Goddess/god: Nieva
Appearance: Paul is definitely Western. He has pale skin, blue eyes, and wild light blonde hair. He wears a white dress shirt with no tie and a forest green jacket, with khaki-colored trousers and comfortable brown dress shoes (^_^;;; I'm not so good with descriptions). His posture is usually tense and excited, as if he's just about to start jumping up and down with excitement.
Personality: Paul is the kind of person who can never asks too many questions. He has a childlike curiosity into almost every aspect of life, and never tires of learning new things and understanding how things work. He's very literal, often completely missing sarcasm. While he's usually pretty spastic, he can be deadly serious as well. He's intelligent and friendly. However, his perpetual energy can wear out and annoy those around him.
History: His parents having died in an accident, Paul grew up with two of his uncles, a musician and an inventor. Living with two spastic geniuses, he learned to always ask questions and try to figure things out. Being naturally intelligent, he learned a lot about science and art. He had many friends in school but wasn't particularly popular, being slighly too nerdy to fit in with the in-crowd. He had a generally happy home life, though he did always wish he had "real" parents.
Word/Meaning/Ability: Talosen (made up)/"hidden knowledge"/Talosen give Paul the power to see the energies of the person used upon (reading their aura), while hiding his own from the powers of others. It also uses the power of secrets the person it's used upon holds to damage them, depending on what the secret is (anything from a scratch to a deep wound).
Word Symbol: I'll upload it later.
Other Weapon: A thin, light sword that does equal psychic damage as physical--Paul is a fencer.
Relationships: Open, I guess. Anybody?
Other: You are evil and must die. *kills*

~~~~~~

Name: Thomas
Different Feature: Black jacket instead of green.
Word: Nesolat/"exposed secrets"(also made up--I'm SO creative--it's Talosen backwords)
Word Symbol: Same as the other one.
Other: You are evil and must die. *tortures, maims, kills*

Paul Morrenson
~*~*~

Ordinary days don't happen at my house. Other kids wake up, groan, eat some cereal, go to school or work or whatever.

My uncle Garth had been up since five, picking out something awful on the piano and trying to make it not-so-awful. I had been up since five, listening to him playing and trying to read a book. Uncle Gary had been up since five, bitching about the racket. The music got better as time passed, but not great. Musical genius, you must understand, comes and goes. It has a harder time coming when Garth is hung over, which he was.

We don't live in what could be called an overly wealthy part of town. It's not bad, but it's not great. Gary put in police locks on all the doors and bars on the windows--they unlock, but trust me, they're practically impossible to pick--so we've never had much trouble with burglers. Or damsels in distress, but there's a first time for everything. Human flight, splitting an atom, damsels in distress coming to my doorstep. It's all the same.

I got up to take a walk. Not terribly exciting, on an ordinary (for me, that is) day.

And opened the door, and Kathy Derose was there.

Now, I do not make a habit of reading People Magazine, and I don't watch those shows about young socialites. I don't think she's ever done anything particularly newsworthy, like trashing Paris Hilton's apartment. I do read computer magazines, though. I think I saw something about her father in Tech Weekly once, and I don't forget faces. Usually. Not pretty girls' ones, anyway.

"Kathy Derose," I mouthed.

She looked... fraught. And I could see why. Large, tall boys who definitely wouldn't be talked out of... whatever they had on their minds. So I decided to play the hero.

"I-" I stammered. "I think I can hide you. Do you trust me?"

"Yes," she breathed, which was nice. I like girls. They're pretty. Kathy was, at least.

"Then come with me," I said, and grabbed her hand. Usually I'm not so forward, but there were extenuating circumstances. Gary has a lab on the side of our building, in the basement, with an outer door that he uses when he needs to carry trash to the curb. I pulled her there, and she followed, seeming calm.

I grabbed my key from my pocket and the door clicked, mercifully, and I pulled her inside and shut the door and locked it. There's an outer window, and since the lights weren't on, we could see the thugs feet pacing around. One would think they would see the steps and the door but they were particularly thick and didn't seem to notice them.

I went rather crimson, realizing I had just locked a complete stranger in a room with me. Not being able to think of anything to say, I apologized for pulling so hard.

"No, it's quite alright," she said. He unlocked the door. "Actually," I added, "that was the most fun I'd had in quite a while." I went two shades deeper red.

I opened the door for her, let her out and up the stairs, and muttered something which I'm pretty sure was "Well, I guess I'll see you around some time." She muttered something which probably was an affirmative. I walked around the corner and down the street the other way. It was a nice day, as city days go, and I thought I'd look for a book or two in a shop or two and eat something.

I strolled down a (nicer) street and paused in a few shops to see if they had anything I would be willing to part with cash for. Some did, some didn't.

As I carried my shopping bags out, down towards a restaurant I had more than half a mind to eat at, I noticed a little girl.

Little girls don't ordinarily catch my attention. I confess I am more interested in the big variety, but this one looked lost.

"I can't find my daddy!" she cried. "I can't find him! I want Daddy!"

"Shhh," I told her, trying to calm her. "Calm down. Where did you last see your daddy?"

"I was walking with him. Then the crowd got crowded and we got pushed apart. I want him!" she began to cry.

I looked around rather hopelessly. He couldn't have gone far--no one realizes their eight-year-old isn't with them and keeps on walking. He had to have backtracked. I tried to spot someone panic-stricken.

Right. There was a man coming towards us, looking frightened out of his wits, calling "Emily! Emily!"

"Is that your daddy?" I asked her.

"Yes! Daddy!" she called, and ran to him. I straightened out and smiled. He smiled back and held his daughter tightly to his chest, almost weeping. "Thank you," he mouthed.

I couldn't see that I had done much, but that was all right.

Actually I have to go for a while now. I'll finish up this post later. :)