RPG Newsletter Staff

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Mew Master
    Mew Master
    Okay! For the first order of the day, we should discuss what articles we need and who should (volunteer) work on them.

I for one suggest the following:

State of the Game
    - Written by the Mods, and starts out with an introduction to the RPG Forum, the members, and what-have you. Introduce the topics, the writers for this month, as well as your own concerns. Think of it as an editorial.

RPG of the Month
    - Discuss the RPG
    - Discuss the current plot and characters and members of the RPG
    - Give some background on the creator
    - Possibly some extra stuff, like where the RPG has gone since it started, and where the Creator and some players plan for it to go.

RPGer of the Month
    - Similar to the Proposed Member of the Month as suggested, however with a twist. An interview!
    - Ask things like how long they've been role playing, specific genre's they enjoy, characters that they've come up with, their favorite RPG to Create/Play/Watch, moments involving their characters, their favorite thing about Role Playing, ect.
    - Come up with the questions before hand and try and schedule an interview date halfway into the month so that there's time to do the interview and get some good responses.
    - Try and pick members both who are farily famous and new to the Boards. Show them that we care.

World Creation
    - Article dealing with the different aspects of creating and starting an RPG: World, story, plot, characters, creatures, scenarios, ect.
    - Deal with different genra if possible: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Fan-based, Anime Based, Home-brewed, Modified from previous Games

Power Gaming (some subjects)
    - Dealing with unruly players and their characters
    - When players or Game Masters get a biiiiit out of control with their own characters and stealing the spot-light a bit.
    - Meta-gaming: Just because some people talk about an RPG future plots and characters, shouldn't mean the player can use that to their advantage to make themselves more "badass"

RPG Art of the Month
    - Possibly take this from the (hopeful) future topic of RPG inspired Art.
    - Can be from any RPG, TPM based or otherwise. Because we all know there are games and characters out of our own little Message Board
    - Contain a writer's reaction to the image, some critique on style, pose, overall look.
    - Have a brief interview or summary of the artist's views and why they like the character, ect. Basically a short interview with the artist.

Walk Through Time
    - Look through the Archives for RPGs and RPGers from yester-year.
    - same treatment as RPG of the Month, if possible to contact the players (if still around) or just go over it in general.

Any other ideas for articles?
  2. classy_cat18
    classy_cat18
    I have a question. How is the RPGer of the month determined?
  3. Mew Master
    Mew Master
    A Vote by either Mods or the Newspaper Staff. If a member of the newspaper staff is nominated then they aren't allowed to vote. ^^U
  4. Crystal Tears
    Crystal Tears
    World Creation sounds like a neat topic... I'd/I'll volunteer for that.

And for RPGer for the month, I think we should like everyone vote. Not just the mods/staff.
  5. Mew Master
    Mew Master
    Or... how about we pick 5-10 RPGers and then have a Poll topic for the RPG Forum to vote on?
  6. classy_cat18
    classy_cat18
    We could pick someone to handle the votes, then have everyone PM that person their vote.
  7. Mew Master
    Mew Master
    Keeps it more descrete.... *thinks*
  8. Bulbasaur4
    Bulbasaur4
    No offense Mew Master, but the news doesn't really... well, work EXACTLY like this. I planned on having it run the way it used to be run. There are no 'set' articles- the articles that we have are determined by what the RPGers submit and what the moderator (who runs the article at the time) plugs in as extra to help flesh it out. That way RPers have more freedom with what articles they submit- which can be anything as long as it is RPG-related.

As for the monthly awards, they are determined by ANY member of the boards. For example, if no one suggests an RPer of the month, then the moderators (or staff... but really one person at a time runs the show) can pick someone they deem worthy and give reason in the newspaper. The same goes for the quotables, RPG of the month and character of the month. It just makes it easier and simple. Too many voting/etc process just bogs everything down and really can affect a deadline- as I've learned after watching the Fan Fic newsletters.

So basically, if ANY of you guys wants to contribute ANY type of article to the news- go ahead! It can be an interview, some cool mini-post in a way, some awesome opinion article or advice column... anything like that related to RPGs.

I hope this clears up the air, because it appeared there was a misunderstanding some-what.
  9. Mew Master
    Mew Master
    In my defense, Bubla4... I did say "suggest" for the topics. However...

The news CAN'T work like it has in the past, or else it. Won't. Get. Done.

This is the structure we need at the moment. We need (I think) to do it this way, to ensure that our readers have something to read. I'm not being an arrogant ass (least I don't think I am... leave that up to your own imagination), but if we want to do this, then we need to do it with structure and purpose.

Granted the voting thing I wasn't sure on and was hoping for some feedback and comments, which I'm glad we received and communcation helps us as a community.

BUT. I'm against waiting for members to "send" in articles of their choice. Why? Because like last time... no one will send anything in and the Newsletter will die just like it's done in the past. If we have a staff, and suggested articles of who wants to work on what, then we can at least be consistent. If a member wants to put in an article, but Isn't on the staff, then they're encouraged as well. Just like an editorial in a regular newspaper. And no one staff or member has to do the SAME type of article EVERY month. Mix it up. First Come first serve.

That's at least MY interpretaion of how we should go about this... but we have to decide NOW or else it's never going to get done.
  10. Blademaster
    Blademaster
    Whattaya mean "The news doesn't work like this."?! Have you ever read a NEWSPAPER or a MAGAZINE that was just made of whatever articles the editor felt like throwing together that week/month?!

Denny's got the right idea. The RPG board is in such disarray compared to the other boards that it's almost funny. We have to try something new. Like, say, putting EFFORT into bringing it back to glory.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast