Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the e-zine development discussion thread!

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Default the e-zine development discussion thread!

Okay, so quite a lively discussion regarding the e-zine has cropped up in Tara's "no one replies to my fics" thread, so I thought I would split the threads so people know what's being discussed and can weigh in with their two cents and so on! I think the ideas being thrown around are really exciting!

Read on below - it starts off with my reply to Sam.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Quote Originally Posted by Samchu View Post
    I really need to become more active in this forum. I kinda moved away from it when the articles about online publishing appeared in the e-zine. Pretty much everything I write I hope to get published and I'm partially afraid of putting up here in case it jeopardises my chances even though I really want the feedback. I don't know if anyone else has been feeling the same.

Is there a way we could try and get more rpers interested in the fan fic section? I remember a few years back that there was a bit of rpg/fan fiction crossing overs and people were writing fics based on rpgs and rpgs were being created from fics. I know CT is doing that with her KH fic so could we maybe use that to try and draw in more rpers? I dunno...

Also a thought, it the e-zine returns to monthly editions could we include a small writing competition with it? I know we have the writing sprint but maybe we could have something like an e-zine challenge and you have until the deadline of the next e-zine to submit it. The winner gets their piece published in the e-zine and if they have other works on the forum there could be a link to that. And there could be a rule that you aren't allowed to publish your submissions on the board until after the results have been posted. I dunno, people probably don't want to judge that on top of everything else but it was an idea.
    That is an absolutely brilliant idea, Sam. I'm running the next e-zine and I'll be happy to include it in there. I think we can judge it and choose the best one and publish it, so long as we don't have to actually do a full review of it, because that's what takes time.

I don't know anything about RPG but that's a good idea and I think Mew Master was also talking about that. How do we go about doing that?

And yeah, you're not the only one; I'm always tentative about what I post on here now, too. I always have been really. I know I don't have to worry with LTL, but with one-shots, I admit that I hold back.

I'm more comfortable posting fanfiction here, because I know I'm never going to try to get it published.
    Last edited by Gavin Luper; 11th November 2009 at 11:14 AM.
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.

Mew Master of SCIENCE! Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: the e-zine development discussion thread!

Holy Cut-Paste Batman!
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art
    Bring your Battles to Life

Mew Master on "Tracer" Well at least I make you happy with my character's impending downward mental spiral.

We don't like reality... we Re-draw it!

Diamond Friend Code: 124696093377
    SoulSilver Friend Code: 296633754096

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I think having the features as part of the zine will make it more special and more anticipated. If you start "Ask Character Questions" as a separate thread, then it might get stale very quickly.

The real Shonta Moderator

I already mentioned this on the other thread, but as for the fic highlight, we could focus on some of the lesser-known fics. I noticed that the most popular ones are usually the big winners during the awards, or the ones with a lot of replies to begin with.
    Random Quote:
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

My XBox Live gamertag is gleameyes26. Feel free to add me!

Vote for your favorite fanmade video game lyricshere!

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Mew Master: Wooosh! You saw nothing, did you?! Bwahahaha.

Cadmus: Yep, I do agree actually. Keeping it as a special e-zine feature would be much more fresh and fun.

Shonta: I'd agree with that; I think it should be an underappreciated fic spotlight, or a new fic spotlight. Probably not something that's massively popular, as people already know about those fics. Then again, no point excluding things either ... but yeah, I think the focus would be on smaller fics.

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    Okay, so I LOVE this idea like no tomorrow. I think it could really work and I'd love to see people get involved with the e-zine, especially as it grows and expands. I'd be happy to start up a thread or something and let people take care of tasks as the editor creates them - it will kind of be like a proper publication. And whatever people don't take, the editor can try to shoulder, or delegate, etc.
    Wow... this got a more positive response than when I suggested it to RPG. Least from the Mods... makes me shed a tear of happiness.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Mew Master on "Tracer" Well at least I make you happy with my character's impending downward mental spiral.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mew Master View Post

Wow... this got a more positive response than when I suggested it to RPG. Least from the Mods... makes me shed a tear of happiness.
    I think it's brilliant. Instead of us calling for articles, the e-zine would be an organized, proper publication. The editor would sit down, work out what he/she wanted to be in the newest issue, and then put the blueprint on the table and delegate/ask some member journos to write the particular pieces. Anything that doesn't get taken up, the editor can handle, but let's aim for a groundswell of member involvement in this one. And unsolicited features would still be accepted for any issue, which would make for an even richer e-zine.

I certainly don't see the point in not giving this at least a trial. I reckon it's great.

Lisa the Legend

Master Trainer

Thanks... Apparently it's one of my ideas that DIDN'T suck muchly... XD
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Thanks... Apparently it's one of my ideas that DIDN'T suck muchly... XD
    Well, let's not jump the gun, it might still suck really, really badly.

Just kidding, I reckon we're onto a winner here.

Lisa the Legend

Master Trainer

Well get to work big boy. XP
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Well get to work big boy. XP
    Oh, I am. I've just made myself a nice big to-do list regarding all of this, so stay tuned. Tomorrow, I work, but when I get home, I shall be dividing my time between NaNoWriMoing like mad and working on the next issue of the e-zine and working out how it will be set up.

And other peeps, when you wake up and see this thread, keep posting and let us know what you think and want to see, etc.

Wooo. Alright. Sleep. Night dudes and dudettes!

Lisa the Legend

A serious brain-f*** Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Wow! so much progress. Who knew things would grow so fast. I'm liking the idea of the member-run e-zine. I'll have to see if I can think up some articles of my own.
    WANTED:

One signature.
    Experience preferred although training will be provided.
    Witty slogans only, please.

Imooto-deshi says:
    "BEEEE A ROUGE TOMATO"

Master Trainer

Yeah, I thought it would be a good way to spur activity.

As for Articles, I'd never thought of doing the same thing every month, but rather a similar topic.

Like mr_Pika's Grammer Nazi articles, and Lady V's Interviews. Everyone who wants to work on the E-Zine could pick a specific Collumn that they're responsible for every month, and be in charge of what to write about, making it different each mont.

Like someone could be in charge of a "Featured Fic" every month, but the Fic would be different each month. Another Member would be in charge of Looking at Characters for "Ask a Character Collumn". Yet another would be in charge of interviews, ect.

And I still think we could combine the Writer's Sprint and the E-Zine into a bi-weekly competition where the winners from the two weeks are voted on by the community for some kinda prize or something.

Also, for the "best line/setting/such" should that be a Reader submitted, or E-Zine Staff submitted then voted?
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Member-run E-zine: I'm totally for it. It should be noted, though, that that's what we originally tried to do with the E-zine two years ago, but no one stepped up to be the editor. As long as we can get someone to run it, I love the idea... it's just a matter of finding that someone.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Master Trainer

I'd suggest that the Mod in charge of an E-Zine for a month would be that Editor. So basically you guys have 4 Editors that switch out every month.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

...Um. That's, uh, kind of what we do now. ^_^;;
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Master Trainer

Basically, only much less work and pressure on the editor themselves if they break it up for individual members to participate, instead of waiting for articles to be sent to them. ASSIGN TEH ARTICLES! *insert evil laughter here*
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Is making this place terminal Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I'm not sure if it had been said yet, I'll take a moment to read through all the posts, but what about in-e-zine stories?

Like one writer will write a chapter, and tag another person to write the next one? ^_^
    Thank you Saffire Persian. (Complete list coming soon)
    Awards: Contest Ribbons~ Unown Awards ~ Fanfiction Awards

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Master Trainer

Isn't there a topic LIKE that already? I not sure <<U
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Elite Trainer

They tried it, but it caught fire and died in a mire.

:3 Look at me rythme, I do it all the time.
    Now it's becoming cliche, what becaomes of us. Nerf. But yeah, there was something, but it didn't take off I don't think...We could tryagain in the e-zine :0?

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

A more member-run e-zine sounds ace, Mew Master! Yeah, as Brian mentioned, we never intended the e-zine to be mod-run. In fact, it was a member initiative way back when (Darien Shields used to be the editor). But then he left, and no one wanted to take over, so the mods picked it up... we'd be more than happy for people to help us out!

About the e-zine not being monthly, but having people put up articles whenever... I don't know, I like having something to look forward to at the start of every month. And knowing me, I'd never get anything done if I didn't have a deadline. There's nothing stopping you from sending in e-zine articles any day of the month though, so if you get inspiration on the first of the month, just write an article and send it in!

The chain fic idea sounds good too. We did have a chain fic thread, but it was a few lines at a time, and anyone who wanted to continue the story just posted. We could definitely have an organised thing where people take turns to write whole chapters. It'd be great to look forward to.
    mistysakura
    2007 Golden Pens: Co-winner of Best Poem (Rain Eternal) and Best Reviewer
    2007 Silver Pencils: Winner of Best Poem (Death Sonnet -- Untitled)
    2004 Silver Pencils: Winner of Nicest Fanficcer & Least Likely Couple (with PancaKe)
    Former 3-time winner of Most Dedicated Reader at the Fanfiction Forums
    Also Keeper of the 'A'ctivator Unown

Brimstone Diamonds. The Artist. Tightrope. Solitude. Autopsy.
    Glitter (one-shot).
    Listen to Rain Eternal -- a song.

Random thought: 2+2=5.

i ♥ f a n f i c f o r u m Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

My responses to all the things mentioned:

Member-Run
    I'd be happy to edit or co-edit. Considering I've just finished my degree in journalism and next month have freelance work coming up for the publication I'm working with now, and then also have several other things I'm working on, I'd love to edit if you guys wanted.

But I'd also like to request a second co-editor, or maybe two people who wanted to commit to rotating months? That way if I know I'm going to be away (ie when I go to Taiwan next year) or people have things on there are people to step in?

But happy to be editor if you guys would like.

In Ezine Fic
    Houndy I think this is a marvelous idea. I think we could aim for a 12 chapter story, each chapter at 500 words. We'd need to ask people if they were happy to continue the fic though.

Monthly vs a topic
    I think monthly colaboration is the best way to go, agreeing with ada here. But once again, most of my article ideas also turn into topic discussions in writers forum, so post a topic about it, or write the article and send it in straight away!

I think that was all.....

♥ Funeral for a Friend . Opeth . Faith No More . Dream Theater ♥
    Unown ! Award (2008) for Amazing Comback!
    Unown S Award (2009) for Smile
    2009 Silver Pencils:
    Best Poem (All I Can Say About You) | Best Plot Twist (Full Moon) | Best Contributor | Queen of Fanfic | TPM Addict

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Mt. Moon gives me that similar feeling I used to get when I would wake up first thing in the morning as an 11/12 year old and get excited about browsing TPM.

Elite Trainer

Yes ^-^ Aawggwa, I'm happy I came up with something good :0 I've been a bit lacklustered here.

A chain fanfiction, that be so cool if we can do it.

I would like to see the E-zine monthly again. :0 I think if we just posted stuff whenever would make it less E-zine and more E-bloggy, but I can say for sure. These things are shrouded in mystery!

...while you sleep.

Master Trainer

If you wanted to write blog pieces each month then that would be awesome Houndy. You should be doing that already! Just choose a topical question... like they do in Sex and the City. "Are fanfics a thing of the past?" "Do we go through phases in the fanfic forum?" "Is it less about enjoyment and more about publication?" or something like that....

2009 Silver Pencils:
    Best Poem (All I Can Say About You) | Best Plot Twist (Full Moon) | Best Contributor | Queen of Fanfic | TPM Addict

Mt. Moon gives me that similar feeling I used to get when I would wake up first thing in the morning as an 11/12 year old and get excited about browsing TPM.

Elite Trainer

"Is it less about enjoyment and more about publication?"

That's how I feel anymore. I just want people to reeeeeeeeeead and be merry. But if no one's reading,how will the merryness trickle down to me.

I should be doing that right now. But not that topic...Maybe that topic.

Hurhmuuu! :0

...while you sleep.

Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by mistysakura View Post
    A more member-run e-zine sounds ace, Mew Master!
    Bout damn time my Brilliantly Insane ideas get noticed.

But it's not just Member RUN...it's overall more Organized with everyone who has a specific article or theme to focus on for the month.

Is it too much to ask for a little more stability? Which is why I suggested such a thing.

EDIT: OOO! POKEBALLS! .... and now I don't know Mods cept by Avatar DP O.o
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Master Trainer

I don't have pokeballs yet.

See, Wed! you already have an opinion on that! I would find a 200 word blog about your thoughts on that issue interesting! It'd also be good for generating discussion at the end of the ezine. I mean, really, we want to be discussing the articles not juts reading and kthnxbai!

2009 Silver Pencils:

Elite Trainer

Hrhrhmhrhm, you present a delightly thing, you person made of flour water sugar and stuff. :3 I could crank out a 200 word blog on how we feel so commericalized all the sudden :3 With ease.

When would we need it by. I should be doing work. I feel ill.

...while you sleep.

Master Trainer

Well I'm not making the rules yet because the next issue is still by Gavin, and I'm still just a pleb and may not even end up editing

However; suggestion. If you're on a roll, write as many articles/opinion pieces as you can. If you want some ideas I can pm you some? Sometimes its easier to write about what someone else asks you rather than think for yourself. (I know that all too well).

And then store them all away and then for the next few months you have a supply of articles that you can just bring out until you are motivated to write again

2009 Silver Pencils:

Elite Trainer

Feel free to PM me ideas. I'm not on a roll :0 I have expired. I should work, the thought of it is making me physically ill

...while you sleep.

Master Trainer

PM'd right away!

2009 Silver Pencils:

Elite Trainer

Thank you sooo much!!

...while you sleep.

Master Trainer

No worries

So yeah. I'm looking forward ot the next ezine

Are any major changes being made? I'm a litle confused with all the suggestions.

2009 Silver Pencils:

Master Trainer

I think we're waiting on Gav to do something.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Master Trainer

Fair call. Although would the mods have to decide or would it be a whole group vote?

2009 Silver Pencils:

Master Trainer

I don't know... but from what I gathered Gav was going to try and impliment some of the suggestions into this Month..I thought. *shrugs*

But also remember that we need organization, which is what I suggested. Not just a "Members do it all", but a different kind of set up so not everything is on the Mod's heads when the deadline comes around.

I just imagined it working like an actual newspaper o.o
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Master Trainer

Would those members then be elected, or just volunteer?

2009 Silver Pencils:

Master Trainer

The original idea was for them to volounteer for Collumns that they could write on, with each month being a different article, on a different subject, but still be considered under that category. For example, a Staff Line up would look like:

Editor: Gav

Genre: Classy
    Fic Showcase: Pancake
    Grammar: mr_pikachu
    Interview: Lady V
    *Collum Topic*: Main writer.

Like that basically. Where a person volunteers for a specific area, although this can stay a staple for several months if they want and are dependable.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art

Master Trainer

What do you mean by fic-showcase?

2009 Silver Pencils:

Master Trainer

It's the part of the e-zine where you look at a fic on the boards and review it, read it, discuss its pros and cons for the Board. Basically the same stuff you guys do every Zine.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art