Thread: What does this switch do? *tick tick* Blast! Not again!! (Discussion)

The King of Games Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default What does this switch do? *tick tick* Blast! Not again!! (Discussion)

ok, so this little discussion is going to be about your fav. item and why. you can use any item you want, from the old rod to the evil rare candies, i don't care, as long as it's in GSC and you explain why you liked it so much.

for me, i am thinking i'm going to have to go with the bike. i would say the bike because mainly it sped up the time traveled in between places. that was always my problem, the whole walking thing... going by bike is prolly the fastest way, other than by using fly. and using a bike didn't just help with travel... it made searching for pokés a lot faster, which is always a plus.

after the bike, i would say the super rod, since i love to fish and it let me catch stuff other than the dreaded yet misunderstood magikarp.

so yea, that's my opinion on the matter. what's your guys thoughts.

~The Italian Stallion
    SupremeChampion
    To Be The Best, You've Got To Beat The Best
    Create your own destiny, and never fear failure...
    Proud Member of the Public Beatin' Club! HIZZAH!
    Up Here

Banned

I like the hp ups. They are cool. Buy a lot and whallah a kabajillion health.

One item that was good in G/S/C was the infamous Itemfinder. Sure, it was available in R/B/Y, but at least here you were able to assign it with a shortcut button, so you can easily search for items without jumping between menus. I always remembered I just played Crystal just for the sake of treasure hunting. Now, I go searching for items in every Pokémon game I play.

Another neat item were the Berries. They always grow back every day, and it's nice that you can recover your health or status instantaneously. Shame that there's only one or two berries that are good in G/S/C. At least they got a needed improvement in the Advance Generation.

-Chris R.
    AYE ESS BEE

Shamshir/Wario/Joann/Mr. Larpus/Giant Enemy Crab (Xanthius)
    Meliadoul/Shizuka/Roy/Pit/Taina
    Celice/Anita/Asmodeus/Ferdinand
    Elekid

Work It Harder Make It Better
    Do It Faster, Makes Us stronger
    More Than Ever Hour After
    Our Work Is Never Over

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

MysteryBerries were great because you finally had a relible, unending source of PP restore items. Not as good as being able to buy Ethers, since you could only get two a day and they only restored, what, 5 PP to a single move? but better than nothing.

Leftovers seriously rocked, though. Great hold item, as we all know.

I've got sort of mixed feelings about the seventeen Move Enhancement Items. They would have been better if they gave a half-again boost or something...giving only a 110% boost isn't going to make a difference terribly often, so they become more "magic feather" items than anything else, just confidence-boosters. In that sense, they're pretty bad, but on the other hand, they make life easier for experienced competitive battlers, because their naďve opponents are sticking with less-than-optimal items.

Items like Star Piece, Gold Leaf, TinyMushroom, that were introduced in GSC...items that were functionally identical to Nuggets but worth less...they annoyed me. I saw not the slightest point to them. I suppose it made the Thrift Shop in Goldenrod's Underground more useful for folks with not much cash, because they could probably still afford something there, but other than that they were such wastes of ROM. Now, on the other hand, when Advance Gen came up with the ability to trade such items to people for useful goods and services, like the Treasure Hunter who gave you Element Stones for the four Shards or the Move Tutors who accepted Heart Scales or mushrooms as payment, that helped.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron
    I've got sort of mixed feelings about the seventeen Move Enhancement Items. They would have been better if they gave a half-again boost or something...giving only a 110% boost isn't going to make a difference terribly often, so they become more "magic feather" items than anything else, just confidence-boosters. In that sense, they're pretty bad, but on the other hand, they make life easier for experienced competitive battlers, because their naďve opponents are sticking with less-than-optimal items.
    Yeah I laughed when I heard what that girl said after I got the poison barb. It was something like.

"You'll be surprised how strong it make poison moves."

I suppose I was surprised... by how pointless it was.
    Pokemon Pearl FC: 3479 9091 3139

Elite Trainer

Default Re: What does this switch do? *tick tick* Blast! Not again!! (Discussion)

[i]the itemfinder was a pretty good item. def. made it better in GSC as opposed to RBY, though. i know in RBY you had to be like right on top of the item, but if i'm not mistaken you just had to be in the general area in GSC, right?

~The Italian Stallion
    SupremeChampion
    Up Here

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Re: What does this switch do? *tick tick* Blast! Not again!! (Discussion)

Um...actually, in both RBY and GSC the Itemfinder went off if there was a hidden item anywhere on screen. I located items by moving and testing until I could use the Itemfinder, find nothing, take a step and get a beep. Then I'd know there was an item on the row or column that had just come on screen when I took the step.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Thick Club, because Cubone is my favorite poké.

Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron
    Um...actually, in both RBY and GSC the Itemfinder went off if there was a hidden item anywhere on screen. I located items by moving and testing until I could use the Itemfinder, find nothing, take a step and get a beep. Then I'd know there was an item on the row or column that had just come on screen when I took the step.
    [i]are you serious? i swear mine only went off if i was right next to it or facing it or something. i seriously kid you not.

~The Italian Stallion
    SupremeChampion
    Up Here

Passion's Flames Burns Bright Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

I really have a thing of Leftovers. It seems to fit my style of battling.

Personally, i'm a real fan of Quick Claw. I know its not as good as most other items but it has got me thought some of the stickiest situations i've ever been in.

No. 3 on my list of favourite items would be the Surf HM. Think about it. You can use it multiple times, allows you travel about easier AND its a great move in battle! Unlike most items and the other HM's, it is versitile, efficient, powerful and accurate and looks cool. Yeah, its in every version but still...no other TM or HM has helped me more in all ways than HM03.
    Penname(fanfiction.net): Twilight The Umbreon

Am I back? Maybe...just maybe...

250 posts - October 6th, 2006

I'm a pokefan, writer and gamer. And don't you forget it!

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Ack quick claw is just too unreliable. Does anyone even know what it's chances of raising speed actually are.

LOL good ol' surf HM, one of the better hidden machines.
    Pokemon Pearl FC: 3479 9091 3139

Junior Trainer

Yes. I think it gives a 10% of your pokemon striking first, if i'm correct

Elite Trainer

[i]yea, i think that sounds about right, though i guess if you're really lucky like all the time then it may not really be worth the use.

~The Italian Stallion
    SupremeChampion
    Up Here

Junior Trainer

I just used to give to my Rhydon, just so occasionally I could annoy people greatly, since it was so physically powerful.