Thread: Where is Orre anyway?

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Where is Orre anyway?

As many people will know, the previous pokémon games are all set in geography that equates to parts of Japan:

Kanto is the area around Tokyo and the Kanto plain

Johto is the area around Osaka

Hoenn is the island of Kyushu

Has anyone figured out an equivalent for Orre? I haven't played Colloseum yet (game purchased, saving up for Gamecube), and all the map screenshots I've been able to find online are a bit pokey. It appears to be inland, so maybe it's set in foreign parts (USA? China? Australia?)?
    rinku

The GREEN Pokémon master!

Quote Originally Posted by rinku
    Has anyone figured out an equivalent for Orre? I haven't played Colloseum yet (game purchased, saving up for Gamecube), and all the map screenshots I've been able to find online are a bit pokey. It appears to be inland, so maybe it's set in foreign parts (USA? China? Australia?)?
    To me it looks like a (mainly) desert plain on some unspecified continent. Even so, Orre always reminded me of the Outback in some weird way.

Banned

I have to say, Orre certainly reminds me of the Aussie outback. Scraggly, bare, flat with lots of rocks and stuff.

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

It's must be a horrible, horrible place if absolutely no wild pokemon can be find there.

And that was meant with the fullest of sarcasm.

I haven't played Colloseum yet (game purchased, saving up for Gamecube), and all the map screenshots I've been able to find online are a bit pokey. It appears to be inland, so maybe it's set in foreign parts (USA? China? Australia?)?
    You don't know what you're in for buying Pokemon Colosseum and waiting to get a Gamecube. You should have somehow tested Pokemon Colosseum somewhere because I think it's one of those games you either love or hate.

I always thought Orre was based off Arizona.

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

As many people will know, the previous pokémon games are all set in geography that equates to parts of Japan:

Kanto is the area around Tokyo and the Kanto plain

Johto is the area around Osaka

Hoenn is the island of Kyushu

I would have done it all the way around: save up for the GC, and then RENT colosseum... it's not that great. From what I can tell it's a continent. There isn't any sea or water around. In fact, as everyone has stated, it's a desert, which does remind me Australia or Arizona; there's only two spots where water can be seen, Phenac City and the green town, where there's also a forest... hmmm, could this be another clue? I'm beggining to think that the original creators of the game weren't that involved in its creation. Since all regions are actually based on true japan regions, and no one can find the relationship between Orre and Japan... that would also explain why this game is so... sucky...
    [Insertcreativeandcolorfulsignaturehere]

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return"

Shedinja used Sandstorm!
    A sandstorm brewed!
    ---------------------------------
    The sandstorm rages.
    Suicune is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Shedinja is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Shedinja fainted! :rolleyes2
    XD

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I haven't played Colloseum yet (game purchased, saving up for Gamecube)
    Like everyone else, I also wanted to point our your stupidity. If you buy the Gamecube first, and save up for Colosseum, that means you'll at least have one game to play (the FAR FAR FAR superior Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 demo that come bundled with it). All you got now is a fifty dollar coaster.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Showing your parochialism Raz. Nothing's bundled with the Gamecube much here in Australia at the moment, and there are no 'cube games for rental here in Hobart.

As it happens, Collosseum came up at 15% off while I was saving up, so that is why I went with it. Hopefully while I'm saving up for the cube a second hand one will pop up or there'll be another price drop.

I want the game so that I can play pokémon battles in 3D with my son between my Sapphire and his Ruby cart. Anything else is gravy.

Perhaps you could suggest another way of doing that Raz? Thought not.
    rinku

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I can almost gurantee that you could find a bundle on EBay. Even make your own bundle. There's also various freeloader discs that enable you to play imports without modding the Cube. Given non-US and Japanese release dates, that's a must in my book.

So yeah, I guess I can suggest another way of doing it (besides the obvious detail of not buying Colosseum to begin with).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Razola
    It's must be a horrible, horrible place if absolutely no wild pokemon can be find there.
    Quote Originally Posted by PKMN Master
    Arizona
    Now that almost makes sense. If only there were nothing but wild Ekans and Gligar in Orre.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Razola
    I can almost gurantee that you could find a bundle on EBay. Even make your own bundle. There's also various freeloader discs that enable you to play imports without modding the Cube. Given non-US and Japanese release dates, that's a must in my book.
    I appreciate that, but I neither use nor trust ebay. Nor am I worried about having to have the game prior to Australian release date.

Point being Raz, I had my reasons and my eyes are wide open about the game. The fact that you don't like the game (which I respect) doesn't give you the right to call others stupid for buying or liking it (this I most definitely do not respect). You might also want to consider that many of us are not US residents when asserting as to what we should or should not do (my country of origin has always been clear on my profile).
    rinku

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Life if far, far, more diverse than that.

The following pokemon could probably live in arizona:

-Gligar
    -Ekans
    -Geodude
    -Sandshrew
    -That Cactus who's name I forget.
    -A bunch of ground and rock types.

Simply put, the "no wild pokemon live here!" claim is just Nintendo's bullshit reasoning as to why the game doesn't have a full-fledged capturing system.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Hmm. I'm thinking Death Valley, but there are some areas in the Middle East that could also fit... if they actually had modern buildings and towns... the fact that the ones I'm thinking of are essentially miles and miles of hot sand kinda throws a wrench into that theory.

Perhaps the reason that no wild Pokemon live there is that they haven't migrated to that area? Maybe they are fine in their current habitat, so no Pokemon need to move there. I dunno.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

I want the game so that I can play pokémon battles in 3D with my son between my Sapphire and his Ruby cart. Anything else is gravy.
    your son? do u have children? you must be a pretty cool dad ... I'd love to teach how to play pokemon to my children
    [Insertcreativeandcolorfulsignaturehere]

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return"

Shedinja used Sandstorm!
    A sandstorm brewed!
    ---------------------------------
    The sandstorm rages.
    Suicune is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Shedinja is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Shedinja fainted! :rolleyes2
    XD

Orre reminds me of Australia and the deserts of Nevada and Arizona.

It's a nuclear waste in Russia.
    NUKE-YOU-LAR!

As Colosseum is more of a side-game, and not really one of the main games that GAME FREAK has anything to do with, I'd say Orre is the only region that doesn't follow the rules of representing one of Japan's regions.
    [SIZE=1]Super Hyper Mega Ninja Pokémon World Character Randomizer!

It's ANIMation + MELEE. No "Anime" or "Lee".
    Support watching cartoons in their original languages and formats -- like Japanese Pokémon, and English Transformers Beast Wars; not the other way around!
    Pokémon Ruby Cart - Play Time as of August 3, 2004: 999:59+
    Pokémon LeafGreen Cart - Play Time as of June 7, 2005: 177:01
    Pokémon Diamond Cart - Play Time as of November 21, 2005: 00:00
    GAME FREAK, HAL Labs, Capcom, Genius Sonority, Sega, and Nintendo forever!
    Thanks to Filb for the PHP script, and for hosting my sig!

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by PKMN Master
    your son? do u have children? you must be a pretty cool dad ... I'd love to teach how to play pokemon to my children
    Yeah, my boy's 8 and we pretty much got into pokémon together over the last 4 years or so. My 4-yo daughter is getting interested at the moment.

One of the things that makes pokémon a genuinely great game is that it has enough depth and complexity to hold an adult interest, while being easy enough to play (and visually attractive enough) for very young kids.

@Animelee: Could be. Still, it might be a fun idea to try and match up town locations with a real world map - the Japanese analogues do tend to have the main cities in the right spots (i.e. Celedon is Tokyo). The Australian deserts don't have any population centres worth mentioning.

There isn't always a direct equivalent for terrain type though - AFAIK there's no desert in the middle of Kyushu, yet there is in Hoenn.

For what it's worth, my money is on Diamond/Pearl to have an Icy theme (i.e. both are white coloured) and be set in an Hokkaido analogue - though I reckon they'll do a Gold/Silver and have more areas opened up after beating the elite 4. I'd also put money on Glacia being involved - she says she comes from a long way away from Hoenn after all.
    rinku

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Everyone should stop dissing of colloseum its a good game.
    *Hugs game case 'some day ho-oh you will be mine*

Despite that on a side note: I played it to death the first time through traded some things to ruby, started again. @_@ stupid game can't you just put me back to where I was I can't be bothered. The reason I traded some to ruby was to get poke's back on to ruby when I started a new game on ruby. After that my colloseum save was haggardly bad. And now you know.
    Pokemon Pearl FC: 3479 9091 3139

SALTED NUTS! Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

No, If Orre was AZ, it'd have:
    Ekans - Rattlesnakes
    Pidgey - Miscellaneous birds
    Spearow - Annoying Miscellaneous birds
    Sandshrew - Armadillos
    Zubat - Bats
    Diglett - Moles
    Geodude - Rocks
    Onix - Big... rocks...
    Grimer - Pollution
    Cubone - I dunno, shrews or summat.
    Koffing - More pollution!
    Hoothoot - Owls
    Spinarak - Tarnatulas
    Hoppip - Tumbleweeds
    Murkrow - Crows
    Pineco - Pinecones, ESPECIALLY IN THE NORTH!
    Gligar - Scorpions
    Stantler - Deer
    Poochenya - Coyotes
    Zigzagoon - Racoons
    Dustox - Moths
    Nincada - Cicadas
    Cacnea -Cacti
    Seviper - Miscellaneous snakes
    Solrock - Er... I dunno, they're sun pokemon and it's a desert :P make the connection yourself.