I do not mean to press my views upon other people, but this forum is yet to be largely used, and I recently came across an interesting method to making a character.

I like most people I see on the RPG Forum, have a tendency to fall back on the same character repeatedly. Their appearances change, and so do subtle parts of their personality, but there are always those constant things that find their way in. I find myself playing a stereotype that I created, and labels are repulsive.

In my most recent character form here, I created a challenge for myself, a character so outside my realm of roleplaying that it was obscene.

The process I used was to make a list. I made three criteria, appearance, personality, and other. I listed as many things as I could think of that irritated me about other people’s characters, or that I shunned from ever doing. My stereotype is the deceptive type, with either tendencies towards wanting power or to sadism, or often to be entirely strange altogether.

A few examples from the list I created and their explanations are as follows.

Personality
Selfish – I hate to be selfish, and hate for others to be selfish; it is for this reason that I avoid it in a character as well.
Vain – Vanity has never amused me or entertained me to any degree.
Jovial – My characters are not the “peppy” sort; I prefer a more serious outlook, not needless optimism.
Ignorant – I have this terrible tendency to avoid stupid characters like the plague; playing them seems entirely foreign to me.
Arrogant – Another trait I dislike in people, though some of my characters have had hints of it. It seems rather irritating.
Stubborn – Open-minded is the key, and a character that takes the stage with their fascist views is not my type at all.

Appearance
Light (blonde) hair – I often, regretfully, attach this to the stereotype of “dumb blonde;” it also is omitted in that I see far too many of them. It may be only my opinion, but it seems everyone has blonde hair or blonde highlights.
Light (blue) eyes – Eyes are less empowering when they are light in color, in my opinion; I like my characters to be a bit more intimidating, and cheerful blue eyes just do not cut it.
Short – Again, short and mousey is dangerous territory for someone who seeks to have a presence. In a character in a fantasy RPG, it can beget a lack of control or ability to command. Another might interpret it as inferiority.
Dark-skin – My characters are often pale, as I am, and I like the effect given. I might sometimes go to tan, but very rarely to I choose a character with a more exotic complexion.

Other
Silly dancing – Self-explanatory- I would hardly be caught dead playing a character with the tendency to dance nonsensically, though I hate to admit it.
Pets – Ah! Pets! Gah! I loathe them and their awkward cuteness. Always having to have a familiar or some companion is off-putting to me. I avoid them. I hate having my characters place some reliance in another and that includes in an animal.

Suffice to say it was a weird thing to do. It pained me to admit these nitpick on paper, as I can quite frankly see now that some of them are ill-founded and ridiculous.

The main point is that I have a stereotype in my characters, and I found that it was great difficulty for me to play a character out-of-the-box.

I recommend this method for anyone. Next time you join a roleplay, challenge yourself to be original and to step outside your comfort zone.

For, I can honestly say, looking at the character form I created and back at all of it- I find myself extremely amused, and entirely anxious to play my creation; she came out thoroughly interesting, and not necessarily as static as I had thought. My tolerance to other people’s characters and their quirks has increased tenfold, and the discrimination barrier has fallen. A simple whim and a quick brainstorm session have changed the way I think a little, and I am the better for it.

So, ignoring my arrogant rant- is that not the sort of feeling you want when you roleplay? Discuss and critique as you like.