I assume that many of you have heard the English names of Sneasel's evolution and Mr. Mime's pre-evo; if not, they are named Weavile (weasel + vile) and Mime Jr. (guess, genius), respecitvely. I'm sorry, but do those names not make anyone else shiver? And not in a good way. I mean, Weavile is actually sort of clever and I suppose it's decent enough, but... it... just... sounds WAY too weird for me. And the spelling is not aesthetically pleasing... Weavile... ugh. Looking at it hurts my eyes. I suppose I'll get used to it eventually and it won't faze me anymore, but now... ugh. No other word for it.

Baby Mr. Mime, on the other hand... now, there are a ton of words to use for that. Stupid. Annoying. Unoriginal. Or my favorite... Nintendo-what-the-bloody-hell-were-you-thinking?! Mime Jr.?!?! How low has their creativity slipped?! They could have, at the very least, made it "Jr. Mime" so it sort of matches Mr. Mime. Or they could have used their brains and come up with something halfway imaginative. I guess the days of really clever Pokémon names are over... gone are the clever ploys behind Kyogre and Rayquaza, Latias and Latios, Nidorino, Umbreon and Xatu. No more interesting double-entendres like Mew or hidden significances like Ninetales... sniff.

Well, okay. Two bad names doesn't mean they've completely lost their creative spark. But I REALLY don't like where this is going, especially not if they make Manafi's name Manaphy and all of that. I'm sad, Ninty. I'm very sad.

So, whaddaya think? Do you agree--are these names total bunk? Or do you think I'm completely out of my tree and that Weavile and Mime Jr. *shudder* are the most awesome Pokémon names ever? And on that note, what other Pokémon do you think have really sucky names? What names do you wish were something else? I really hate Wynaut's name, for example. I don't know what I'd replace it with if I were in charge, but it really irks me. Meh. And Nosepass... how lame is that? I hate Nosepass in general, but the name's not helping anyway. Who on earth wants a nose compass?

...On a happier note, I have come up with a spiffy nickname for the Sneasel/Weavile I'll be catching in DP... I'm gonna get a male and call him Underwood. Hooray, inside YGO jokes!