Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Daily News

Cloyster Moderator

Default Re: The Daily News

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu View Post

EDIT: Big news that I started expecting about a month ago. House approves new DTV delay bill

Four more months of analog are on the way, it seems.
    Agh come on, just get on with it. The sooner they go through with this the better. This has been advertised for over a year, so there shouldn't be anyone wondering why their antenna TV isn't picking up a signal after the switchover, and also, most people's main TVs use cable or satellite anyway, which won't be affected. Sure, people who don't have the converter boxes yet will be inconvenienced for a little while, but until they get the boxes, or a new TV that can pick up the digital signal, they can just use non-airwave TV.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

2 hot to hold, 2 cold to fold Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

I agree. this is one thing the nation has been told about what, a year and a half in advance. If you don't have one, screw you-yer being stubborn.

i Judge your entertainment!
    Entertaining quotes!
    From textsfromlastnight.com:

(518): I legitimately just tried to piss above my head. I got to my chest at highest. There's piss everywhere.

(801): I can't help but be optimistic. I'm like a ball of slutty sunshine.

Not-So-Cool Trainer Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

I feel bad for PBS; they need an additional 22 million just to stay on the air during the delay period.
    As long as I'm singin',
    Then the world's alright,
    Ev'rything's swingin',
    Long as I'm singin' my song...
    dA|FB|Twitter|Steam|Wiki

Mew Master of SCIENCE! Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I see your redundant Analog Airwave discussion and raise you...

A 45-foot-long, one ton snake that ate crocs for lunch
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art
    Bring your Battles to Life

Mew Master on "Tracer" Well at least I make you happy with my character's impending downward mental spiral.

We don't like reality... we Re-draw it!

Diamond Friend Code: 124696093377
    SoulSilver Friend Code: 296633754096

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

:O

Somebody get Jon Voight on that sum'bitch before it kills us all! ...What? It's extinct? Never mind. >>

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

At a recent technology conference, Bill Gates Releases Mosquitoes On Techies

"Malaria is spread by mosquitoes. I brought some here," he said. "There is no reason only poor people should be infected."
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Badass Gates wasn't enough to get your attention? Fine. Let's see if you can break the world record for consecutive TV watching.

...I actually think I'd have a shot at this, if I cared enough to waste three days of my life.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Cloyster Moderator

I could do that, but only if there were anything good on TV...

Dang.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Big news in U.S. politics: Senate passes Obama's economic recovery plan

Three Republicans crossed party lines to boost support for the bill to 61 votes, just over the 60 required for passage.

I don't normally like to bring my personal opinions to the table immediately when introducing a topic, but this bill makes me retch. I'll go so far as to say that if Bush made one horrible, utterly catastrophic mistake in his presidency, it was starting this trend of "stimulus" bills. He can't even blame bad intelligence for this one - aside from his own, of course.

I don't see this having any effect other than draining the government's resources (and later, by extension, our wallets) and providing a stopgap that'll maybe last a month. It's astonishing how fast idiots can waste hundreds of billions of dollars when they put their minds to it. If I remember correctly, over $100 billion from the original bailout simply vanished without a trace....

This won't end well. You can hold me to that prediction.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Big news in U.S. politics: Senate passes Obama's economic recovery plan

Three Republicans crossed party lines to boost support for the bill to 61 votes, just over the 60 required for passage.

I don't normally like to bring my personal opinions to the table immediately when introducing a topic, but this bill makes me retch. I'll go so far as to say that if Bush made one horrible, utterly catastrophic mistake in his presidency, it was starting this trend of "stimulus" bills. He can't even blame bad intelligence for this one - aside from his own, of course.

I don't see this having any effect other than draining the government's resources (and later, by extension, our wallets) and providing a stopgap that'll maybe last a month. It's astonishing how fast idiots can waste hundreds of billions of dollars when they put their minds to it. If I remember correctly, over $100 billion from the original bailout simply vanished without a trace....

This won't end well. You can hold me to that prediction.
    Sadly your prediction seems to be right, the CBO, who I want to point out to everyone else is non partisan, is saying the US will take a drop in GDP by 2019 because of this.

Anyway you can check this website to get a idea of what your area is getting.

As for my city, I've lived in North Richland Hills nearly all my life, I have driven on Loop 820 to go to Ft Worth or Arlington, and the highway does NOT need 600 million in road improvement.

Also Bloomburg yesterday evening released a article, which... is beyond scary as to what was snuck into the plan.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aLzfDxfbwhzs

The information about this has slowly been making the rounds, although it was drowned out by the soon to be vote on the Stimulus plan.

Anyway on to a lighter note.

Barack Obama has become the new Oprah

Alot of people are questioning the circumstances leading up to this woman's plea today. But I am not really in the mood to get down into the Political Nitty Gritty of it, not to mention I am taking a self imposed step back from politics on here.

But I will say that this is just embarrassing, not only for Fort Myers, not only for Florida, but for the Country as a whole. You get to ask the President, the leader of the free world for a question, and all you can do is beg for a house?

Embarrassing.
    Last edited by Roy Karrde; 10th February 2009 at 07:25 PM.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Contact lens TV in 10 years?

It's the new high-def.

Relating to recent news, The great Atlantic Ocean swimming hoax was not the AP's finest moment. Aaaand finally, Pa. judges accused of jailing kids for cash.
    Last edited by mr_pikachu; 11th February 2009 at 04:02 PM.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Where I live is purple. Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Hey, Heald...

Does being called 'British' offend you at all, my Scottish friend?

...I'm not dead yet!

Mew Master of SCIENCE! Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Dino Island the newest set of discoveries for Late Jurassic/Early Cretaceous fauna.
    ~Mew Master

ASB Battle Art
    Bring your Battles to Life

Mew Master on "Tracer" Well at least I make you happy with my character's impending downward mental spiral.

We don't like reality... we Re-draw it!

Diamond Friend Code: 124696093377
    SoulSilver Friend Code: 296633754096

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Man arrested by Religious Nutjobs for republishing a article about 'The erosion of the right to criticise religions'

I would have something witty to say, but I think everyone is already making their own joke about this.

Back?! Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    Yeah, I can break necks with my mind.

why wub woo Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Toxicity View Post
    Hey, Heald...

Does being called 'British' offend you at all, my Scottish friend?
    This is ridiculous, considering wherever you come from in the United Kingdom, your passport will say 'British' as your nationality.

I'm not offended by being called British or English really, although if someone calls me English I will politely correct them if I feel like it, although some fat American at my girlfriend's uni called me English the other day and when I told her I was actually Scottish, she said something stupid like, "Well all Scots are English so I'm right," so I went off the handle at her and told her to stop being such a fat American bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix
    You have turned my vacation thread into a discussion about Heald's balls. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Am I naive for not realizing that Scotland is part of the U.K.?

Also, lemonade man was an idiot who made me laugh. I find it funny that he didn't freak out when the operator told him the police were on their way.

Warning: Borderline grotesque pictures ahead... Octuplets mum bares her ENORMOUS stomach just eight days before giving birth.

Seriously, how did she not explode.

How did she even stand?
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

why wub woo Moderator

Am I naive for not realizing that Scotland is part of the U.K.?
    Probably, although I'm not sure if it is common knowledge outside the UK.

That leads me to ask: what DID you think was the UK? As in what did you think the UK was made up of.

Also:

Warning: Borderline grotesque pictures ahead... Octuplets mum bares her ENORMOUS stomach just eight days before giving birth.
    I did NOT want to see that.
    You have turned my vacation thread into a discussion about Heald's balls. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

I guess it's not quite so much that I didn't know as I never think to consider it. I'm well aware that Great Britain, Northern Ireland, and Wales are part of the U.K., but I never really stop and think, "What's that fourth one again?" Given a lot of thought I might have remembered it, but... ehh. Thinking is for people who care.

Also: I warned you about that link.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

why wub woo Moderator

Actually, Wales is in Great Britain, I imagine you meant England instead of Great Britain.

~HOPES AND DREAMS~ Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Karrde View Post

Wheres my house? For that matter I looked under my seat and I didnt even find a book there. How cheap is that?!

.: Ben + Brandy :.
    .: September 14th 2012 :.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

why wub woo Moderator

It's a shame that while there are probably many Republicans with some sort of knowledge of basic economics, the only quotes we're hearing are from the ones who clearly know nothing about economics and are only spouting out sound bites.

Anyway, hopefully this will be the package to get the economy going, since the UK economy very much depends on many aspects of the US economy.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Sad thing is this thing is probably going to fail, and it will probably cause Inflation by 2011 or another recession or even stagflation and hurt our economy even more. As much as I love the fact that the Democrats own this, and that it is so politically damaging. It is going to do so much long term damage to this country, and to my future and my children's future. That it takes away any short term enjoyment.

Also while the first was great, the Sequel is going to be even better, as already having been hinted The White House may be heading toward Stimulus Plan 2: The Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse STRIKES BACK

Anyway in other news 1/3rd of Europeans blame Jews for the Financial Meltdown

I just have to ask.... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!
    Last edited by Roy Karrde; 14th February 2009 at 11:17 AM.

Cloyster Moderator

It isn't the next Great Depression until the Europeans start blaming it on the Jews.

As for the bill, I would love to see it work, I want out of this mess as much as anyone, but I really have my doubts about it. I'd like to be proven wrong though. I'm eager to see how STD prevention and honeybee insurance are going to put money in everyone's pockets.

Elite Trainer

My little pet peeve about this "stimulus" is how 3 million dollars is going towards "Planned Parenthood", aka abortion >.> Because killing off potential workers is a great way to stimulate the economy...

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Asilynne View Post
    My little pet peeve about this "stimulus" is how 3 million dollars is going towards "Planned Parenthood", aka abortion >.> Because killing off potential workers is a great way to stimulate the economy...
    I think there are nitpicks everywhere in this plan, and enough things for everyone to hate. For example a bullet train from LA to Las Vegas, money for the Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse, Medical Records on Computer, the European Style Health Board. I mean the list goes on and on.

Now granted alot of these things such as the Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse or Medical Records on Computer, or for some Planned Parenthood money are things where money should be spent. But it isn't going to really create jobs, or isn't really needed, and if they really are needed but are not used for jobs, then they should be placed in a bill by themselves. Because really if they cannot stand alone, then they shouldn't be included in a Trillion Plus Dollar Stimulus plan.
    Last edited by Roy Karrde; 14th February 2009 at 01:45 PM.

Elite Trainer

Thats the way things have been for a long time though Roy, its not like its new to this stimulus, even when Republicans were in power bills got passed that had stupid shit attached to it (and even though its "the way things are and have been", that doesnt mean I like it or ever liked it lol). Even when I was in 10th grade and learning about how people could attach something to a bill that has nothing to do with the point of the bill itself, and yet the bill would still get passed because it couldnt get passed without the attached items, I thought it was stupid. Its still stupid, but unless someone truely revolutionary gets into office and manages to turn around something thats become a dirty habit in politics, I dont see it ever changing -.-()

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Asilynne View Post
    Thats the way things have been for a long time though Roy, its not like its new to this stimulus, even when Republicans were in power bills got passed that had stupid shit attached to it (and even though its "the way things are and have been", that doesnt mean I like it or ever liked it lol). Even when I was in 10th grade and learning about how people could attach something to a bill that has nothing to do with the point of the bill itself, and yet the bill would still get passed because it couldnt get passed without the attached items, I thought it was stupid. Its still stupid, but unless someone truely revolutionary gets into office and manages to turn around something thats become a dirty habit in politics, I dont see it ever changing -.-()
    Oh I know how it is done that way, and I know that both parties have been guilty of doing it. But then again when one trillion dollars are at stake, something that could cause some very long term damage to our economy. I really think they could make a exception.

Plus it doesn't help when you have people running around screaming "Worst Economy since the Great Depression" which it isn't. And that if we do not pass the bill, that our economy will NEVER recover. If things are that dire, the Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse can wait a few weeks for its own bill.

And you know most of all it doesn't help that our President comes out and blatently lies that there are no ear marks or pork in the bill.

Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    As for the bill, I would love to see it work, I want out of this mess as much as anyone, but I really have my doubts about it. I'd like to be proven wrong though. I'm eager to see how STD prevention and honeybee insurance are going to put money in everyone's pockets.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. I'm also willing to hear where ACORN's share of the funds will go, considering a lot of what they've pulled this past year.

Also, Senator Burris admits being asked to pay-to-play.

...I'm not dead yet!

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

I think I misspoke in my previous post, because this clearly goes beyond even a bailout. Based on the things in this bill, it's nothing more than a massive shopping spree.

Ironic. Some say that McCain's "spending freeze" line was a reckless move that cost him the election, but I'd prefer that to this. And when all is said and done, I think a lot of other people will feel the same way.

Hopefully by now everyone has relearned the biggest lesson in politics: Never, EVER trust campaign promises.

Also, from Laura's article:

Burris issued a statement Saturday saying he voluntarily gave the committee a Feb. 4 affidavit disclosing the contact with Robert Blagojevich because "there were several facts that I was not given the opportunity to make during my testimony to the impeachment committee."
    Yeah. They cut him off before he could finish. I believe that. Don't you?
    Last edited by mr_pikachu; 14th February 2009 at 05:34 PM.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

And he probably gave the money.

Not surprising really, Illinois is such a cesspool nearly every politician from there has twisted or bent the law in one way or the other.

Elite Trainer

Gosh, Roy, why you gotta be so partisan all the time? D:

In other news, Venezuelans to decide term limits, whereas Chavez is seeking reelection.

...I'm not dead yet!

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Gosh, Roy, why you gotta be so partisan all the time? D:
    I never mentioned a particular party, but if you look at Illinois Government it really is a cesspool, filled with politicians that will make back room deals, looking the other way, and bending the law to get elected. That goes for Illinois Politicians on both sides of the political spectrum.

Its just a fact of life in Politics up there, you have to play dirty if you wish to get anywhere. They don't call it "Chicago Style Politics" because it sounds cute.
    Last edited by Roy Karrde; 15th February 2009 at 01:53 PM.

Not-So-Cool Trainer Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

I was gonna say something to the effect that all of the corrupt politicians in Illinois are from Chicago, but Roland Burris graduated from Southern Illinois University. Therefore, a startling yet sound majority of the corrupt politicians in Illinois are from or involved in Chicago. Southern Illinois is relatively innocent on those terms; my county just happens to be Judicial Hellhole, U.S.A.
    As long as I'm singin',
    Then the world's alright,
    Ev'rything's swingin',
    Long as I'm singin' my song...
    dA|FB|Twitter|Steam|Wiki

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Illinois GOP leader calls on Sen. Burris to resign.

CHICAGO – Just as Illinois was moving past the agony and embarrassment of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich's ousting, the fellow Democrat whom Blagojevich appointed to the U.S. Senate was hearing calls for his own resignation Sunday amid allegations he lied to legislators.

Freshman Sen. Roland Burris released an affidavit on Saturday that contradicts his statements last month to a House committee investigating Blagojevich's impeachment.

"I can't believe anything that comes out of Mr. Burris at this point," Rep. Jim Durkin, the impeachment committee's ranking Republican, said at a news conference Sunday. "I think it would be in the best interest of the state if he resigned because I don't think the state can stand this anymore."
    Hell, it's almost nice of Durkin to suggest this. He could've sat back and let Burris bury himself and his party over the next few years. This self-contradiction could be used over and over again, every time the man opens his mouth.

Of course, it still could if Burris resists. He may well do so... if he resigns, it'd basically make Blagojevich's whole stand totally pointless, thus turning Illinois' government into a laughingstock for no reason.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Back to national news: Asian stocks tumble as bailout confidence fades.

Will the latest bailout spur the global economy forward, or will it just trip up everything?

Also of interest: The White House's missing documents.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

You know, as much as I hated Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, one good idea DID come out of it: the concept of a school built around games.

That concept has become a reality: Video game-themed high school to open in New York in 2009.

All I can say is I hope that shaving my 'stache and neckbeard off is enough to convince them that I'm under 17.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

This story actually brought tears to my eyes...

Amid the grieving, a rare act of sportsmanship
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Back?! Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Huh. I grew up in the next town over from DeKalb. I'm a little suprised - the place had a reputation for being... well, not the type of place where you'd expect something nice like that to happen, from what I remember anyway.
    Yeah, I can break necks with my mind.