Thread: Good length?

Banned

Default Good length?

What is a good length for a fic? I use Microsoft word, so fellow MS Word users can just tell me how any pages I should have. I don't want too much in one chapter because I might make future chapters short compared to the other chapters.

Thanks in advance.

For Real Reals. Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Default Good length?

I say at least 3 word pages. Anything less is too short IMO.

Didn't I say this in the 101?

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    A strange and magical frozen land of ice and beer called "Canada"

Default Good length?

I always aim for 2.5 at least, but whenever I want to emphasise the passing of time between chapters, I use shorter, 2-so page chapters. Taking a page out of Shakespeare's playbook, you know. Surprisingly effective.
    [img][/img]

Mewfour is a Canadian writer and longtime TPM veteran.
    Over his impressive 9-year ficcing career he has won 5
    Silver Pencils and 3 Golden Pen awards, and currently holds
    the record for most times won Most Evil Fanficcer (3)

He's also not above posting stuff about himself in the third person.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default Good length?

Anywhere from 3-10, I guess. Any more and people start losing interest, any less and you can't fit stuff into it. Obviously, it also depends what happens in that chapter. I advise not to worry about having a uniform chapter length -- I don't see a problem weith it, really. It's only when one chapter's twice as long as the one before (or after ) that people really notice.
    mistysakura
    2007 Golden Pens: Co-winner of Best Poem (Rain Eternal) and Best Reviewer
    2007 Silver Pencils: Winner of Best Poem (Death Sonnet -- Untitled)
    2004 Silver Pencils: Winner of Nicest Fanficcer & Least Likely Couple (with PancaKe)
    Former 3-time winner of Most Dedicated Reader at the Fanfiction Forums
    Also Keeper of the 'A'ctivator Unown

Brimstone Diamonds. The Artist. Tightrope. Solitude. Autopsy.
    Glitter (one-shot).
    Listen to Rain Eternal -- a song.

Random thought: 2+2=5.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Good length?

I think 3 was my first length, but it depends. As you develop writing you'll slowly build bigger chapters as you can express a little in a big way. In Monica's Army, I made sure each chapter was an 8-Page Minimum, that seemed to work in SOME cases.

But i'd say 3...yea, 3

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Default Good length?

First of all--please ignore my advice, because it's probably useless and I'm lazy...

Any chapter length is good, as far as I'm concerned. It's your fic, so if you want to have the chapters half a page, make 'em half a page. As long as you've got a decent writing style and plot, your story will be good no matter how long the chapters are. I guess longer chapters may be better in the long run, just because it will give the readers more to keep themselves occupied with until you can get the next chapter up, but really I think it's up to you to make the chapters as long as you feel is right. There may be one chapter where not a lot happens, and it turns out to be 3 or 4 paragraphs, and another one has 15 pages, who cares! You're the only one who knows just how you want the chapter to be, including length.

o_0
    jimm
    Quote Originally Posted by PancaKe
    The decapitated mole is a fruit loop.

You heard it here first, folks!

3-time winner of Fanfic's "Oddest Writer" award!

Knight of I.N.D.E.E.D.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Good length?

I think that 10 pages may be a stretch. I would recomend you to make a fic about 7 pages long, anything over, I personally would skim over, and then start reading a few hours later, just so I can understand what is happening in the fic. Oh, and if you have a bad computer, only make a maxium of 3 pages in case the chapter is destroyed you can easily remake it.
    If something is wrong, please say so.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default Good length?

Or else, you can save it onto a disk and put it in a safe place. 10 pages... I've just got a really short attention span, so I get distracted in the middle, but no one else (except for Powarun) seems to mind. Just go with whatever.
    mistysakura
    2007 Golden Pens: Co-winner of Best Poem (Rain Eternal) and Best Reviewer
    2007 Silver Pencils: Winner of Best Poem (Death Sonnet -- Untitled)
    2004 Silver Pencils: Winner of Nicest Fanficcer & Least Likely Couple (with PancaKe)
    Former 3-time winner of Most Dedicated Reader at the Fanfiction Forums
    Also Keeper of the 'A'ctivator Unown

Brimstone Diamonds. The Artist. Tightrope. Solitude. Autopsy.
    Glitter (one-shot).
    Listen to Rain Eternal -- a song.

Random thought: 2+2=5.

Default Good length?

How long's the piece of string I'm holding?

There's no such thing as a good length for a fic. It should be as long as it takes for you to tell the story. That's it. Of course, some people will be put off by a really long fic, just like some people won't think it's worth while reading a one-page wonder. It depends on the story, there is no 'proper' length. The same goes for chapter length - it depends what's happening in them, and what point you want to leave off the story at, whether you want a cliffhanger at a certain point or whatever.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Good length?

Mistysakura, sometimes floppy discs do fail. And ChicRocketJames, you missed the point, what the person is asking is what is a good length in general. Of course there is no real limit, it is just a guide line.
    If something is wrong, please say so.

Default Good length?

I didn't miss the point. A good length for a trainer fic might be completely different from the length for a short fic about a romantic encounter between Ash and Misty. My point was that it depends on the story, and you shouldn't let other people set artificial guidelines for you.

Default Good length?

Well, all my chapters are 6 pages+ (so far) in font size 10 [Varies with the Pokedex, Title & the lyrics)

Banned

Default Good length?

6 pages is perfect. As long as it is over say, 1 1/2 pages, it is a pretty decent chapter but anything under can be short. But average chapters are about 4 to 8 I would say. Anything above its great to.