Thread: Web Site Hosting

Banned

Default Web Site Hosting

First of all I'm not advertising this site, I'm asking if anyones heard about it.

I'm about to start a small little business in my town making websites, and I'm planning on making my own website to refer people to for more information and such. Well, I need a domain name.. And Sadly enough I've never purchased one before lol I just used geocities or angelfire like everyone else for things.

Now, I don't know anything about good hosts but the sponsored link in google sent me to http://www.omnis.com , Has anyone heard anything good/bad about them? They appear pretty professional, But I don't know a good price from a bad one.

Also, Whats ACP?

Hope I didn't write too much, Advice is eagerly accepted lol

-M1ND

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default Web Site Hosting

I am also starting up a website soon and would like a domain name plus some webspace. Would also like prices for just the domain name as may be using a friends webspace. Would I be able to get a personalised email aswell? Like: info@plymskiteam.co.uk

Cheers

Banned

Default Web Site Hosting

Yeah, most of the time you get more than one, the obvious webmaster/administration/admin@site.co.uk stuff, then others for "employees"

The one I linked to has 500, or unlimited for double the price

How much space would you need for a lot of music files and pictures and such? Would 1 Gig be enough?

Default Web Site Hosting

1 Gig would prolly be more than enough unless you were planning on getting ridiculous with the amount of music and pictures, in which case I strongly advise reassessing your site. You ought to look into the bandwidth you're allowed, too, that could well be more important than the actual space depending on how popular your site becomes.

I did look at that site, seems good. I myself would ask about what they'd ask to provide support for multiple mySQL databases but that's just based on my server useage, I'm using two databases atm and really could do with a third. (prolly could sneak it in and all but am pretty crap when it comes to SQL and rely heavily on server-based automation) I think properly plan what you'd have on the site first THEN pick your hosting package to suit.

ANTIASH SUPERSTAR
    The 21st Century Manachu Boy

I'm not even angry; I'm being so sincere right now
    Even though you broke my heart and killed me
    And tore me to pieces and threw every piece into a fire
    As they burned it hurt because I was so happy for you!
    Now these points of data make a beautiful line
    And we're out of beta, we're releasing on time
    So I'm GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned for the people that are still alive!

Banned

Default Web Site Hosting

I don't want to butt in, but I've had a bit of experience doing the web hosting/domain name thing and have found some real treasures.

I currently use a company called Total Choice: http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/

They offer virtual hosting (which means you have a shared IP address and are located on the same server as multiple other people though you retain your own domain name and a great tool called CPanel which allows you to access and configure a lot of features of your site like subdomains, mysql (unlimited dbs), e-mail addresses, etc). It's a really good deal at about $4 a month or if you want more storage and bandwidth $8.95.

I also highly recommend for domain name purchasing GoDaddy: http://www.godaddy.com

I've used them for years and they keep getting better. Their domain names are very cheap and their admin interface for domain name configuration is amazing. They're the current #1 domain name registrar for good reason.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Cloyster Moderator

Default Web Site Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Ampharos17
    They're the current #1 domain name registrar for good reason.
    Because of that superbowl commercial :winky:

Anyway, wow, I'm amazed by all of these prices I'm seeing, I could even have my own website. For now though if I want to set up a website I'm probably better off using my own free web space my ISP provided, but I'll keep this stuff in mind.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

TPM's Statistician Honorary ModeratorMaster Trainer
    Master Trainer
    (Donator)

Default Web Site Hosting

they look ok. [retty good for all that space you get
    i paid 8 someting a month for 25 megs and domain name.
    (Geocities)
    homeofmew
    (homeofmew#1337)

Default Re: Web Site Hosting

I pay about $5.50/month if I pay annually. I use my friend's hosting service at http://rawforce.com and it's pretty good. I get 1gb disk space, 35gb bandwidth, cPanel, PHP and all the other stuff.

As for domains, I use http://ev1servers.net but I'm gonna switch to http://1and1.com after I need to renew my domain.