Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moves They Should Know

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Moves They Should Know

[color=mediumpurple]Basically the opposite of the "Stupid Moves" thread, which Pokemon do you think should know certain moves but don't?

Charmander line: Tail Glow
    Roselia: Charm, Fake Tears
    Jigglypuff line: Metronome (I know Clefairy knows it but Jiggly just seems to me like she should know it too...dunno why...)

AIM: MetallixGirl84 MSN: MetallixGirl84@hotmail.com Yahoo: metallixgirl84

Blue blue Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: Moves They Should Know

I think the reasoning behind Jigglypuff not getting Metronome is that it doesn't have fingers. That seems to be a requirement.

More Pokemon should be able to learn Blaze Kick. I mean, Hitmonchan gets Fire Punch, so why can't Hitmonlee learn Blaze Kick?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Maybe he figured he 'sold out' when he accepted a modding position and hanged himself. At least, that's what I would do.

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

Hmm, I think I can come up with a few ideas for this interesting topic.

Absol- Crunch, Grudge, Memento
    Pinsir- Megahorn (I'm certain it NEEDS this move in the future, I mean, they do have sharp horns after all)
    Dratini line- Recover (they are mystic after all, so I'm betting this move might make a little sense for them to be able to heal themselves)
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

Ampharos: Tail Glow
    Espeon: Extrasensory
    Exploud: Sonic Boom / Metal Sound / Perish Song
    Flygon: Dragon Dance
    Magneton: Explosion
    Milotic: Charm
    Tauros: Horn Drill
    Torkoal: Withdraw

As you can see, only Magneton and Tauros are first generation Pokémon. I believe that this attacks-they-should-have issue is corrected as new generations come by, such as when the problem with Charizard and Dragonite not being able to Fly was solved. Eventually, I suppose Ampharos will learn Tail Glow, perhaps in DP, for example.

Ampharos learning Tail Glow is really the only one I really care about... most other moves that some pokes should learn aren't really needed.. and I'm sure amphy will get it in DP
    [SIZE=18pt]Conspiracy[/SIZE]

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Beedrill... and Poison Tail...

Beedrill is a bee; bee's are famous for stinging with their TAILS! Their stings are poisonous! Bees have poison tails, but Beedrill doesn't have Poison Tail!

WTF?

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster
    Beedrill... and Poison Tail...

Beedrill is a bee; bee's are famous for stinging with their TAILS! Their stings are poisonous! Bees have poison tails, but Beedrill doesn't have Poison Tail!

WTF?
    I'm not too sure it would be a good idea IMO for Beedrill to get Poison Tail. I mean, to use it effectively, they would have to jerk their main stinger in the back area, and I'm kinda thinking that might hinder their flight if they did such a thing.
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

Blue blue Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Time
    I'm not too sure it would be a good idea IMO for Beedrill to get Poison Tail. I mean, to use it effectively, they would have to jerk their main stinger in the back area, and I'm kinda thinking that might hinder their flight if they did such a thing.
    On the other hand, that sort of motion is exactly how they attack in Stadium. I don't think it's that much of a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Maybe he figured he 'sold out' when he accepted a modding position and hanged himself. At least, that's what I would do.

Master of Electricity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I think the reason that Ampharos doesn't have Tail Glow is because the japanese name for the attack is Firefly Glow.

But he should still get it regardless, makes perfect sense.
    Master of Electricity
    Credits for the awesome banner go to Saffire Persian

But he's still here! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Actually Dragonis, Tauros can in fact learn Horn Drill.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Foguet
    Torkoal: Withdraw
    but you are forgeting that Torkoal learns Iron defence which is a Steel typed withdraw for Torkoal.

Gyaradose Arial ace/Aero blast

All Canine pokemon: Bone Rush inside joke about Doggie treats shaped like bones...

~Charles Legend
    ASB VS Seeker Profile

“If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.” ― Albert Einstein

"The computer world is like an intellectual Wild West, in which you can shoot anyone you wish with your ideas, if you're willing to risk the consequences." --from Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age, by Paul Graham

"To build a story world, the author must be part artist, part engineer, and sometimes part mad scientist.." --from Fundamentals of world building by Jessie Verino

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” - Hippocrates

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

I always tohught Dragonite would learn Recover. Aerodactyl(along with a lot of other flying types) should learn Aeroblast. Plusle and Minun need to learn selfdestruct, so you can blow them up.

AaaaaAaaah! The avenged Popefold

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Butterfree should learn Fly. I would love to hop onto one of those teeny tiny butterflies and go for a flight. I mean I can ride a foot tall Pidgey after all.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

Even something as small as Taillow can learn Fly, so why couldn't Butterfree and Beautifly? They are quite big after all, at least for butterflies. Every time I see May's Beautifly resting on her head in the anime, I wonder how come she doesn't end up with a broken neck It weighs 28.5 kg, quite a lot to have on your head. So it should be able to Fly, but then so should Venomoth, perhaps.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I know there are lots, but the only one that comes to mind right now is that Umbreon should learn Crunch. I know there are plenty amazing movesets for Umbreon already, but I still feel that it *should* learn Crunch. It's also a pain that you need to keep it as an Eevee until level 30 if you want to learn Bite. I evolved mine at level 6 -_-;; Although, I'm not sure if it's possible to get this via the Move Tutor, so I may be mistaken!

why wub woo Moderator

As far as I understand, physically speaking most flying bugs (in real life) never fly very high, due to the fact their wings are very light and so can get blown away by a single gust. As far as I understand it, the attack known as Fly means the Pokemon flies very high i.e. into the clouds or even above the clouds, then flies straight down, building up velocity and hits the opponent physically. I think only birds could do this, as bugs never seem to be able to reach this height. Therefore I think it is valid for Bug pokemon not to have fly.

Annoyingly, Golduck's single levelling-up Psychic attack is Confusion. IMO, he should have far more, such as Recover, Psywave, Psychic etc. and even Confuse Ray. Golduck is one of my favourite Pokemon but unfortunately I hate having to breed it constantly to give it decent attacks. The one problem is that Golduck is Water, not Water/Psychic, which is incredibly baffling and so lacks the STAB boost it should get for using Psychic attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix
    You have turned my vacation thread into a discussion about Heald's balls. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Elite Trainer

He does get psych up...of course that isn't really an attack, and I can see where you're coming from. In the anime, Misty's Psyduck almost never used water attacks and mainly stuck to its' 'amazing' psychic powers. So, just because Its a duck they make it water and decided -- ehh, lets not make it psychic, give it a crappy movepool and make it really hard to get! Also, I was highly disappointed by Togepi. In the anime it is constantly showing off amazing powers and always saving the lives of the main characters, but it just learns a bunch of pseudo-Clefairy moves ingame.

Quote Originally Posted by Heald
    As far as I understand, physically speaking most flying bugs (in real life) never fly very high, due to the fact their wings are very light and so can get blown away by a single gust. As far as I understand it, the attack known as Fly means the Pokemon flies very high i.e. into the clouds or even above the clouds, then flies straight down, building up velocity and hits the opponent physically. I think only birds could do this, as bugs never seem to be able to reach this height. Therefore I think it is valid for Bug pokemon not to have fly.
    That would mean that the common explanation for Dodrio learning Fly (it jumps so high it's almost as if it were flying) is wrong, because even in the Pokémon world, it seems quite far fetched (no pun intended) that something can jump 1,000 feet above the ground to get above the clouds. And even if it could do so, it would die, because unlike Pidgeot or Articuno, Dodrio hasn't got fully developed wings to help it break its fall.

I never liked Dodrio having Fly, not a bit. I'd almost prefer something like Heracross with Fly.

Advanced Trainer

Bugs also have rather fragile bodys (or at least many of the Bug/Flying types that are butterflies and the like do, exception being something like Scyther). And since they don't have beaks/talons, they'd have to simply ram their body into the foe if they were using Fly, which might hurt them more than the foe, which could be another possible explination for lack of Fly.

I like the not being able to fly high thing better, though. Because that also explains why Mantine/Gyarados/Gligar can't use Fly either. Flying type or not, the first 2 can't really fly at all, and Gligar only glides (hence the name :p).

I think giving Doduo/Dodrio Fly was a lapse of judgement initially, and then once they gave it to them they can't very well take it away. The only opportunity they had to take it would have been in Ruby/Sapphire, since you couldn't trade with the old versions, but they passed that up. Should have taken Fly and given them Bounce.

Master of Electricity

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

WIgglytuff and Exploud should learn Aeroblast too. More poison types need to learn sludge bomb. Perisan and Hitmonlee seem like they could learn psychic, even though Hitmonlee probably couldn't use it. Hitmonlee has to learn Bounce.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

I can understand most of those choices (although I can also understand not giving Pokemon those moves), frylock. And I can even see Persian and Hitmonlee getting Psychic. (Persian uses just about every other Special type anyway, and Hitmonlee is... well, mysterious.) But why would Wigglytuff learn Aeroblast? Besides the point of it being an exclusive move, what makes Wigglytuff a prime candidate for it?
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Student of Activity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Tauros having horn drill is idiotic IMO.

Horn Drill works with the horn spinning around right? so a croocked horn as tauros has would create a circular motion and create a disk instead of a drill. Pokémon like Rhydon and nidoking have a straight horn so that would make a drill.

How do you deal with unexpected pregnancies?

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Actually, that could work. What if only the tip of the horn spun around? Then it would bore a straight hole rather than a circle.

...And even if it didn't work that way - that is, if the move produced a "disc" rather than a "hole" - the attack could still be effective. It just wouldn't be quite as aesthetically pleasing. ^_^;;
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Hitmonlee with psychic? I don't think so, its a purely bulked up fighting type.

Magmar needs overheat. Why does Primeape get it but not Magmar?

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    I can understand most of those choices (although I can also understand not giving Pokemon those moves), frylock. And I can even see Persian and Hitmonlee getting Psychic. (Persian uses just about every other Special type anyway, and Hitmonlee is... well, mysterious.) But why would Wigglytuff learn Aeroblast? Besides the point of it being an exclusive move, what makes Wigglytuff a prime candidate for it?
    It just seems like Wigglytuff ouff up to a huge size and blast all the air out. I know teaching a Hitmonlee psychic would be useless, but it just seems like it could learn it. Also, if they make elemental kicks that Hitmonlee could learn, Hitmonchan would become completely useless.

Elite Trainer

Not quite. Hitmonchan is lacking in the sp attack department, and makes it up with its attack, while Hitmonlee is more foscused on defense and speed. Or perhaps I'm wrong. I haven't played the games in a very long time.

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

What I mean is, with the D/P attack/special attack thing, Hitmonchan will be more useable, since it learns the punches. But if the kicks were designed like Blaze Kick(stronger, high critical hit ratio,) Hitmonlee would be better for that too.

Advanced Trainer

Hitmonlee has a super-high attack, decent speed, and a very poor defense.

Hitmonchan is more balanced, with somewhat lower attack and speed, but not completely defenseless.

Both have high special defense and low HP, and pathetic special attack.
    Master of Electricity

Elite Trainer

Right, thats what I meant. And Hitmontop's stats are all fairly balanced. And he's crap. Yes?

Advanced Trainer

None of the Hitmons are that great any more, really.

Fighting pokemon in general aren't used that often, with so many good Psychic/Ghost pokemon around (and used quite often). Of the fighters, the best ones are probably Blaziken and Medicham. 'Cham has no weakness to psychic, and Pure Power ability, which increases attack strength. Blaziken has great stats all around.

But off the 3, Hitmontop is probably the least useful, I suppose. Personally, I like 'top the best, but it seems pokemon more specialized in either attack or defense are in general more favored than the balanced ones.
    Master of Electricity

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Hitmontop has pretty good Defense aswell as the normal, good Hitmon Sp.Def. So he can tank or play a wall.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Hitmontop, Chan, and Lee

Lee should learn Low Kick
    Chan should learn Dizzy Punch, Arm Thurst, Cross Chop, Needle Arm, Shadow Punch, Double Slap
    Top could learn Low Kick too, and Dizzy Punch
    Blazekin should learn Low Kick
    Medicham should learn, Cross Chop, Vital Throw

(my first challenge complete)

TERRY's GROUND CHALLENGE 2006- (Monotype Challenge) TPM RBY
    (my 2nd challenge)

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Leaf Blade needs to be learned by more grass-types.

Nintendo guy #1: Hey, I have the greatest idea ever! How about a grass move that's actually has some power to it and doesn't take two turns to use!

Nintendo guy 2: Great! Let's only put it on one Pokemon!

That makes PERFECT sense.

Advanced Trainer

Leaf Blade is supposed to be Sceptiles "unique" attack, just like Blaziken had Blaze Kick and Swampert had Muddy Water.

Who knows if it'll stay that way, though. Its possible that they'll spread it around, but the problem is that the description of the attack doesn't really fit anyone else that well, except maybe Victreebel.
    Master of Electricity

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Well, they have made some previously "exclusive" moves non-exclusive. Remember the big deal about Heracross being the only Pokemon with Megahorn? Now Seaking can learn it, too. So there is some precedent behind changing the exclusivity of moves... although it might be a little different for the starter evolutions. Time will tell.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Elec Man EXE
    Leaf Blade is supposed to be Sceptiles "unique" attack, just like Blaziken had Blaze Kick and Swampert had Muddy Water.

Who knows if it'll stay that way, though. Its possible that they'll spread it around, but the problem is that the description of the attack doesn't really fit anyone else that well, except maybe Victreebel.
    As Jeff said, Hitmonlee should have Blaze Kick. Other options might be Magmar and Electabuzz. As for Muddy Water, I can see Quagsire or Whiscash with that as an egg move. Leaf Blade could go well with Scyther maybe, or the new Roselia evo.

Any Ice type that doesn't learn Blizzard naturally should. Here's the list of ones who do learn it.

- Jynx
    - Articuno
    - Piloswine
    - Glalie
    - Walrein

All the others don't, and the one that you shouldn't even waste a TM14 on is Sneasel because it's Special Attack sucks like there's no tomorrow.

My first 6 Level 100s on Diamond: Happy Ness, Rampardos, Garchomp, Lucario, Kleo, Mallow

"Name an animal with three letters in its name." "Alligator." The Richard Dawson-era of Family Feud always had the stupidest contestants with the funniest answers.

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

I just fund out that Dusclops doesn't learn hypnosis. Doesn't it say hypnotizes people in his description?

Is making this place terminal Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Gyaradose should learn a bloody fire attack, I know it's water and all, but the Pokedex says it get's all ticked off and takes citys down with fire. Well, where's the fire? And Abols should learn more dark attacks...and Duskull should learn Memento without breeding it.
    Thank you Saffire Persian. (Complete list coming soon)
    Awards: Contest Ribbons~ Unown Awards ~ Fanfiction Awards
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Advanced Trainer

Gyrados does learn fire attacks. Flamethrower and Fire Blast by TM, plus Dragon Rage is often fairly fire-like in appearence (in the games anyway).
    Master of Electricity