Thread: A bit of a Bug problem

Default A bit of a Bug problem

This stems from a conversation via PM/IM and stuff I'm in the middle of in the AC/CC forums. I haven't a clue about it atm so I'm hoping somebody has a good theory.

Signal Beam. How do you suppose it would work in a realistic setting? And what's so great about Dewgong that makes it the only non-Bug type to learn it?

I don't want any game-related explanations here. I'm after answers that would make sense in fanfiction or the like so... uh, guys, any thoughts? ^^;;

ANTIASH SUPERSTAR
    The 21st Century Manachu Boy

I'm not even angry; I'm being so sincere right now
    Even though you broke my heart and killed me
    And tore me to pieces and threw every piece into a fire
    As they burned it hurt because I was so happy for you!
    Now these points of data make a beautiful line
    And we're out of beta, we're releasing on time
    So I'm GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned for the people that are still alive!

Blue blue Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: A bit of a Bug problem

Well, I'd imagine that the user shoots out two different colored beams simultaneously that fly on the same path. The vivid color and contrasts of the beams catch the foe's eye, hence the name. The beams carry Bug energy - much like the dust in Silver Wind.

As for Dewgong... Dewgongs are based off of dugongs, which are named from a Malay word for mermaid, which can also be called sirens. Sirens attract people to their location... and Signal Beam would probably attract attention as well, hence the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Maybe he figured he 'sold out' when he accepted a modding position and hanged himself. At least, that's what I would do.

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Signal Beam is an attack that has made me wonder, as well. It could potentially not be a real attack at all, but it could instead be used sort of like Flash. Consider this scenario. You've got, ehh, a Charizard flying toward your Voltorb and preparing to fire a Flamethrower (or some other generic Charizard-y attack). Voltorb shines a bright Signal Beam into Charizard's eyes, blinding it. Voltorb scurries away, and Charizard slams into the ground in its blindness, resulting in all the damage caused by the attack.

Meh, just a thought. TBA's explanation is probably better, but I can't help but love it when a Bug type beats a gargantuan Fire/Flying Pokemon just by shining a light into its eyes.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Nice call, Ade. I hadn't thought about it. Sadly, I'm afraid I can't help. I'm as stuck on the Dewgong issue as you are.

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Signal beam is learned by the following (through levelup/breeding)

Volbeat
    Dewgong
    Venonat --> Venomoth
    Spinarak --> Ariados
    Yanma

And the attack seems to stem from a specific part of the Pokemon:

Volbeat - tail (firefly)
    Dewgng - horn
    Venonat - Radar-like eyes
    Spinarak - horn
    Yanma - eyes (can see 360 degrees)

I think signal beam is just what it says on the tin. Its a beam, and said Pokemon (such as Volbeat) would probably fire one off if they're in danger, as a bright red/green beam is easy to see. It's obviously bright (hence the confusion side-effect) but needs to be projected from a concentrated area (powerful eyes, bright tail, etc).

As for Dewgong learning it...well I suppose it lives out at sea. Maybe it has some relation to lighthouses....they emit a beam of light when theres trouble (or land) and Dewgong perhaps sends these signal beams to their pod if there is danger?

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 2.0

As for Dewgong learning it...well I suppose it lives out at sea. Maybe it has some relation to lighthouses....they emit a beam of light when theres trouble (or land) and Dewgong perhaps sends these signal beams to their pod if there is danger?
    I'm seriously liking this idea actually. tho now we get into my other big problem with the discussion I was having... why just Dewgong and if we weren't limited to pokémon that learned the move in the game but any that should feasibly be able to learn it who else might be allowed the move? ^^;;

ANTIASH SUPERSTAR
    The 21st Century Manachu Boy

I'm not even angry; I'm being so sincere right now
    Even though you broke my heart and killed me
    And tore me to pieces and threw every piece into a fire
    As they burned it hurt because I was so happy for you!
    Now these points of data make a beautiful line
    And we're out of beta, we're releasing on time
    So I'm GLaD I got burned, think of all the things we learned for the people that are still alive!

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Maybe the creators are trying to convince us to use Dewgong. I agree with the lighthouse idea, but maybe the beam is energy, kind of like that dragon ball Z show.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I can imagine more 4th Gen Pokemon getting it, similar to how moves such as Ancientpower are much more easily learned in 3rd Gen than in GSC.

I think Tentacruel should get it, since it lives in the sea and even the TCG had one shooting beams from its 'eyes' (or perhaps it was a Tentacool). Others to consider: Lanturn (but it has a lamp, hence no need for a signal), Starmie (again, crystal core shines with rainbow colours - signal beam redundant), Huntail (lives down in the dark waters, and its got a bright body), Prehistoric ones (Omanyte, Kabuto, etc: I suppose if they HAD signal beam they might not be extinct x_x)

They're some of the sea-dwellers (sea, not lake) that seemed like good candidates for SB, but have other devices. Also, sound is as good a signal as visualness, and lots of said Pokemon learn screech etc which could help if they're in trouble.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013