Thread: Looking for some new anime...

Banned

Default Looking for some new anime...

Well, I've been looking at the many fansubs I have a choice of downloading, but I can't decide which to try. >_o Basically I'm looking for popular anime, although having a side of fantasy or futuristic kind of plot would be really convinient. So any suggestions?

Banned

Neon Genesis Evangelion or Vandread for futuristic, or The Slayers for fantasy comedy... can't help you with the fansubs, though... sorry.

By the way, it MAY be helpfull to mention what you've watched so nobody suggests anything redundant...

A copy of Magic Knight Rayearth has just come into my hands by the chance of some passing wind. Usually, when I get fansubs off of E-Bay, they suck. But I just got this 8-disk set of MKR off of it, and the subtitling is pretty darn good, not to mention it has the English version, anyway, but the voices suck.

MKR is worth the purchase/download, I guess. I mean, it's very long, so it would take a while, but it would be cool if you got it and then watched it, because then the two of us could discuss it. I'm having a difficult time deciding if I like it, so a second oppinion would do me well. And you, I should suspect.

Okay, all done. ^^

Banned

Umm... ^^; *feels stupid* Maybe I should've done what Red Angel said, because I've already seen all those anime... Thanks very much for trying to help, though. ^_^ I'll post up what I've seen:

Wolf's Rain
    Ninja Cadets!
    Real Bout Highschool
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Chobits
    RahXephon
    Chance Pop Session
    Silent Mobius
    Ragnarok EX
    Get Backers
    RAVE
    Record of Lodoss Wars
    Naruto
    Kiddy Grade
    Gensoumaden Saiyuki
    Hikaru no Go
    Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto
    I'll/CKBC
    Dear Boys
    Spiral
    Scrapped Princess
    D.N. Angel
    Matantei Loki Ragnarok
    Narue no Sekai
    Slayers
    Ranma 1/2
    Vandread
    Di Gi Charat
    Ah! Megami-sama
    Vision of Escaflowne
    Senkaiden Houshin Engi
    Shinseiki Evangelion
    The Soultaker
    Pita-ten
    Final Fantasy Unlimited
    Star Ocean EX
    Fruits Basket
    .hack//SIGN
    .hack//DUSK
    .hack//LIMITALITY
    Shaman King

And I think that's it...

::looks over list:: What!? No Utena!? Revolutionary Girl Utena! GO! Heh ^^; Just a suggestion... it's kinda fantasy/highly symbolic/metaphorical for a lotta stuff.. it's got some yuri/yaoi which personally annoys me, but it's not enough to degrade from the series, imo.

And... Cowboy Bebop? Trigun? Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is a very good anime movie ("about vampires?" ".....yeah"). ...

Why does yuri/yaoi annoy you?

Anyway, no Cardcaptor Sakura, either? Gasp! You should see that! Megumi Ogata's in that one, she does the voice of Shinji from Evangelion. She's Yukito Tsukishiro/Yue. She's so goddam GOOD in that series, too. Definently worth seeing if you're into the voice acting scene.

Banned

Well, I've read the manga of Utena and Cardcaptor Sakura (I've read a lot more manga than I've seen anime)... but nope, haven't seen the anime yet. ^^; Me ish very broke... (not much a 14 year old can buy without a job) saving up for A-kon this summer.
    And I didn't put Cowboy Bebop or Trigun down because they're on television and I thought it'd be kinda evident that I've seen them... so... yeah. ^^;;

I heard Vampire Hunter D was good, but I'm not sure if my parents will let me watch it. x__X; They're very very strict when it comes to anime, and usually I can only get away with it by downloading fansubs. (Yes, I'm one of those poor patheitc souls who hasn't even seen Akira yet because her parents think she's too young to see a R-rated movie -___-; )

But personally I like yaoi/yuri ^^; Not much of yuri, but I'm a pretty big fan of yaoi when it comes to certain series or video games.

Originally posted by KaptainSarcasm
    Why does yuri/yaoi annoy you?
    Because of my own personal beliefs [which is why I said it "personally annoys me" and not "it's wrong" or something like that]. But if ya like it, yeah, that'd probably make Utena all the better ^^;

I haven't seen Akira yet either XD It strikes me from appearence as one of those having an undeserved grandiose cult following [like Evangelion- I've seen it, it's great, but it's not THAT great]. But yeah... can't judge till I've seen it ^^;

Evil Plotter Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Well, here's my personal reccomendation list based on what you've seen ^_^

Series:
    Arc the Lad- sci-fi, fantasy, action
    El Hazard- sci-fi, fantasy, comedy
    Dragon Half- fantasy, comedy
    Here is Greenwood- comedy
    Rayearth OAV- sci-fi, fantasy, action
    Tales of Eternia- fantasy, comedy, action
    Tsukaikage Ran- historical comedy, action
    Socerous Stabber Orphen- fantasy, action, drama
    Maison Ikkoku- drama, comedy, slice-of-life
    Magical Project S- Magical Girl, comedy, parody
    Sakura Wars 2- action, historical sci-fi, comedy
    Rurouni Kenshin, OAV- historical drama
    Rurouni Kenshin, series- historical comedy/drama
    Shinesman- action, comedy, parody
    Macross Plus- sci-fi, action, drama

Movies:
    Princess Mononoke- fantasy, action
    Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind- sci-fi, action
    Grave of the Fireflies- historical tragedy
    Ghost in the Shell- sci-fi, action
    Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaia- sci-fi, action, fantasy
    Rumic World: The Laughing Target- sci-fi, horror
    Otaku no Video- psuedo-documentary, comedy
    Vampire Hunter D- drama, action, fantasy, sci-fi (It's an excellent series, and nothing too questionable)

Manga:
    Dragon Knights- fantasy, comedy, drama
    Urusei Yatsura- comedy, sci-fi
    Cowboy Bebop- sci-fi, comedy, action, drama
    Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne- Magical Girl, fantasy, action, drama
    El Hazard- sci-fi, comedy, fantasy
    Violinst of Hameln- comedy, fantasy, drama, action
    Time Stranger Kyoko- fantasy, comedy

For consideration:
    Hellsing- action, drama, horror
    Akira- action, sci-fi, drama (very confusing, but worth seeing at least once)
    Bastard!!- action, sci-fi, comedy
    Wrath of the Ninja- historical action, drama (bloody, but still pretty fun)
    Adventures of a Mini-Goddess- comedy, SD (Adorable, though without too much substance)
    Kodoma no Omocha- comedy on crack
    Excel Saga- comedy on crack, parody
    serial experiments lain- sci-fi, horror, drama

Hope that was helpful at all ^^; If you want more info, I'll post it later

SILENT MOBIUS!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!. It's by far the best Animé (IMO) that is on the planet. Here's a website if you wanna check it out: Attacked Mystification Police Department Archives Home.

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Well......just abiout everyone mention the anime that I was going to mention..the only ones I have to add are:

One Piece
    Fist of the North Star
    X/1999
    Fughi Yugi
    Queen Esmeraldas
    Tokyo Babylon
    Darkside Blues
    The human soul is an overrated commodity. I've bought sold, and traded them for pokemon cards"- Mr. Hell

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

well, if you don't mind fansubs, there are two series I'd suggest.

Kiddy Grade(don't let the title decieve you)
    Final Fantasy Unlimited
    The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go.
    What was, what will be, and what is may yet fall under the Shadow
    Let the dragon once again ride on the winds of time.

you can't go wrong with Overman King Gainer, champ... crisp animation, futuristic, just finished airing in Japan, great story, and popular.

Banned

Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone. ^_^ (Although a few of you still put down anime that was on my list ^^;;; )

I'll go try some of these out.

Banned

Well, I've read the manga of Utena and Cardcaptor Sakura (I've read a lot more manga than I've seen anime)... but nope, haven't seen the anime yet.
    The Utena anime and the Utena manga are actually quite different (and the movie is VERY far removed from both of them). In fact, that's one of the reasons I bothered to to see the show and read the manga, since usually I only do one or the other.

I don't have too much to add (and I don't think you really need anything else on your list with all those options), but here is my two cents:

I know someone already mentioned Shinesman, but I want to second that heavily and also advise that watching the dub is actually more amusing than watching the sub for once.

A few more you may possibly be interested in that weren't mentioned:

Star Ocean EX - fantasy, comedy
    Saber Marionette J - not quite sure how to classify this one, probably sci-fi/fantasy, comedy
    Berserk - drama, action
    Inuyasha (it wasn't on your list, but for all I know you might have seen this one) - fantasy, comedy, action
    Angelic Layer - It's CLAMP; classify it as you will.
    Flame of Recca - I've only seen the anime, but I hear the manga is better. The anime has some decent combats, but some of the characterization is nothing to write home about. Based on opinions of those that have seen both, the consensus is that the manga is better than the anime. (genre: mostly action)

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Try Card Captor Sakura for something light-hearted and Evangelion for something full-on and apocalyptic. Gundam and Slayers are also good futuristic ones. Maybe Akira if you want to go back where it all began.

Banned

Originally posted by SingingJigglypuff

Flame of Recca - I've only seen the anime, but I hear the manga is better. The anime has some decent combats, but some of the characterization is nothing to write home about. Based on opinions of those that have seen both, the consensus is that the manga is better than the anime. (genre: mostly action)

I remember watching Flame of Recca a great deal ago... it was my first fansub I think when I was around twelve. I don't remember it much anymore though, so I guess I should try downloading them again and then try locating the manga at A-kon.

Full Moon wo Sagashi te, Chicchana Yukitsukai Sugar, or Kare Kano. 3 of my favorites, more to the shoujo side. Full Moon is about a 12 year old girl who wants to be a singer, but only has a year to live, Chicchana Yukitsukai Sugar is about a little girl who finds a little fairy, and Kare Kano I haven't seen enough of ><

Banned

I like Full Moon. ^_^ I've read the manga, but haven't seen the anime yet... same with Kare Kano. Sugar looks a bit too... XD; I dunno. Cutesy for me, if you know what I mean. ^^; Broccoli's works are known to be a bit ... uh, I dunno XD Eccentric?

Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 =D