Thread: Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

Default Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool checks Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003 computers for and helps remove infections by specific, prevalent malicious software—including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom. When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed.

Microsoft will release an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday of each month. New versions will be made available through this Web page, Windows Update, and the Microsoft Download Center.

source: here

--

has where you can directly download it and whatnot on that page. not a full blown antivirus just yet but it does the job on removing the big ones (sasser, blaster, etc.). won't see a full blown antivirus from them for a few/several months. if you already have a decent antivirus, this isn't really needed but if you think you have one that your antivirus missed or something, this is a great, small download that could help. just figured i'd post this, i guess.

Cloyster Moderator

One of the computers at my house just got this through Windows Updates. Makes sense since it is the second Tuesday of the month.

Seems pretty nice, it's about time Microsoft gives us something to defend against all those windows viruses.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008

Banned

Thanks John... I did a Windows Update the moment I saw this thread.

I ran the Removal Tool, and it turns out I'm completely clean of malicious software!

good. at least someone cares around here.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Downloaded it this morning when my Windows update popped up .
    For terrible Pokésex: 2148-4736-7219

Товарищ Красный Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I downloaded it the other day when you first posted this....if you care. It is alright, but I will stick to Symantec, since the Microsoft version is just for the easily recognizeable viruses.
    THE MOST AWESOME GUY ON THE FORUMS!!

Winner of the 2009 Zing, the 2010 Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь!, the 2011 Conventioneers, the 2012 Me loved ponies first, and the 2013 Cool Unown Awards

"Judge if you want. We are all going to die. I intend to deserve it." - A Softer World