Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most musically sound song? (poll)

Still More Important Than Zak Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Most musically sound song? (poll)

There are many subtle nuances that go into songwriting. Lyrics, chords, instruments, etc. It takes a lot of work to make a truly musically sound song. By musically sound I mean this: are all instruments in tune to each other? (A given, generally) Does it sound full or thin? (By full I mean do all the instruments pull together with full musical tonality) For example, a song with just guitar and drums is missing something. It would sound much better if you threw in bass, maybe keyboards, or maybe some other stuff. Is every instrument and track at the same volume, or if not is the volume difference clearly intentional? There are many other things that make a song musically sound.

In my opinion, the most musical song I know is November Rain by Guns n Roses. There's two guitars, piano, keyboard, bass, drums, there's a horn in there somewhere, vocals (duh) and what is amazing is that they are all in harmony with each other.

Post your ideas!
    Original Knight of I.N.D.E.E.D.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

You'd probably roll your eyes at this, but I think 'Into the West' from lotr, is one of the few songs I've heard that actually sounds 'musically sound' I actually don't know of many songs that sound good with all instraments playing. but I think orchestras are the best, cause not only do they have you know, strings, and pianos, they also have some drums, harps, trumpets, ect ect. But then thats just me, I like the calming sound of strings and such and not many songs have that

Advanced Trainer

No, I appreciate orchestral music.

Another one I'd have to add is most anything by Beethoven and most well-known composers of old.

Particularly Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise.

Banned

And cue November Rain, which just started playing, I shit you not. A lot of Use Your Illusion stuff is very musical. Most Zep songs - All My Love, Stairway to Heaven, Dyer Maker, Fool in the Rain.

And we'll just toss Bohemian Rhapsody in there because, well, it's Bohemian Rhapsody.

Blame of Absence: Cancer Honorary Moderator

lol i came to say bo-rhap too. ummm... other than that prolly like some funeral for a friend or some other stuff that i like.

ta-ta;
    'Cake

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

To me, the vocals being soft and meaningful in the song makes it 'musically sound' to me because it immerses me into the song. I also like the background music to be soft usually in order for me to hear the vocals. I guess I like those soft songs that are usually love songs and not christian music. Can't point out a single song though. I'm kinda musically inept when it comes to instrumentals so sue me. -_-;;

Bohemian Rhapsody will always be a Legend. Noone knows to this day what it is actually about though i think the last couple of lines sum it up,
    "Nothing Really Matters To me" and with the backing of "anyway the wind blows"
    Because there are so many styles thrown in there its like they were saying meh whatever, whichever mood were in we can throw it in there and see what happens, who cares.

One song ill probably get flamed for is Love is only a feeling by the Darkness.
    Admittedly some of their songs sound like a novelty band but there arent many 'Power Rock' Ballads with seriously heavy Rock Guitar that Still manage to keep the sentimentality in place.
    Also those guys have one of the best Guitar sounds ive heard in a long time...then again i am an old school Rock whore lol.

Afterworld ~ Chapter 2 | Blood Bowl ~ Chapter 3
    If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

TPM's Statistician Honorary ModeratorMaster Trainer
    Master Trainer
    (Donator)

aLL of lotr is done nicely.
    Star Wars I really good too.
    Pokemon 5 is done well, when ash is being chased.
    that particular scene..
    Sometimes music does not fit like the Dragon ball GT opening
    terrible >-<''
    homeofmew
    (homeofmew#1337)

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Musically, I think Pachebel Canon in D is so flippin amazing... it gives me goosebumps

"You hold the answers deep within your own mind.
    Consciously, you've forgotten it.
    That's the way the human mind works.
    Whenever something is too unpleasant, too shameful for us
    to entertain, we reject it.
    We erase it from our memories.
    But the imprint is always there."

Covfefe Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Most of my favorite musical melodies come from games, and some Israeli songs. However, a lot of the game ones I like are remixes of classical pieces. In terms of things people would know... I'd say Joplin's The Entertainer as well as Maple Leaf Rag are high up there in my book. I can play the Entertainer, almost done with Mple except this one part which sounds really good (and is actually my favorite part) but is a bitch to play.

Other ones I enjoy listening to are...

Golliwog's Cakewalk (Children's Corner)
    Pictures at an Exhibition (Promenade)

I'd list the Israeli ones, but I doubt anyone here would know them...

But anyway, I enjoy playing them a little bit more than listening...

~Zak
    In 20 years, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook will merge together into one super big time-wasting site called YouTwitFace.

We're not going to Guam... are we?

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Artemis
    please tell me at least one other person hates bohemian rhapsody

You need to die

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    I'd list the Israeli ones, but I doubt anyone here would know them...
    List them. I'm intrested. Most Israelies that live abroad think that the peak of Israeli creation is Subliminal or Sarit Hadad.
    the z0nk shall set you free

#sup est. 2001

Covfefe Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Okay... most of the ones I had in mind for "musically well" aren't as modern as those two, and are far from the same category as those as well as what I listen to regularly.
    Nor would they be exactly considered the "peak", as they are old classic folksongs, from youth like Arik Einstein or Naomi Shemer, Yoni Recter... but with the exception of Shotei Hanevua - Yedia, and a few Kaveret songs. Namely Goliyat, Shiur Moledet, Hora Achazut, and especially Habalada al Arivaderchi.

As for the folk songs... Od Lo Ahavti Dai, Ze Hakol Bishvilech, Mashiach (well, it's fun to play it all fancy and stuff), Noladeti Lashalom... and the rest of the list would be way too big, but those are pretty high up there in my book in terms of musically well.

EDIT: Are you serious about Sarit Hadad? Last I heard she wasn't that popular.

~Zak
    In 20 years, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook will merge together into one super big time-wasting site called YouTwitFace.

We're not going to Guam... are we?

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    Okay... most of the ones I had in mind for "musically well" aren't as modern as those two, and are far from the same category as those as well as what I listen to regularly.
    Nor would they be exactly considered the "peak", as they are old classic folksongs, from youth like Arik Einstein or Naomi Shemer, Yoni Recter... but with the exception of Shotei Hanevua - Yedia, and a few Kaveret songs. Namely Goliyat, Shiur Moledet, Hora Achazut, and especially Habalada al Arivaderchi.

As for the folk songs... Od Lo Ahavti Dai, Ze Hakol Bishvilech, Mashiach (well, it's fun to play it all fancy and stuff), Noladeti Lashalom... and the rest of the list would be way too big, but those are pretty high up there in my book in terms of musically well.

EDIT: Are you serious about Sarit Hadad? Last I heard she wasn't that popular.

~Zak
    Umm ok. Sarit Hadad is pretty popular in the Israeli pop scene. Arik Einstein and Naomi Shemer don't exactly fit in the same category. Einstein is just a performer, while Shemer is a songwriter and composter. "Ze Hakol Bishvilech" is far from an old classic folk song, it is a song by Danni Sanderson that was released in the early 90s. I like Kaveret too, and many of the songs by its members after it disbanded, mainly by Yitschak Klepter, Alon Olearchik and Gidi Gov. If you are interested in new, quality, "musically sound", israeli music, I would suggest checking out artists like Berry Sakharof, Ehud Banai, and Eviatar Banai and the band Algir (www.algir.co.il). That's all for now.
    the z0nk shall set you free

#sup est. 2001

I think the majority of classical songs are pretty well orchestarted. Such include Bohemian Rhapsody No. 2, Fur Elise, Mozart's 40th Symphony and many more.

Banned

I don't like Bohemian Rhapsody(sp) either.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

*gasp* *splutter*

Bohemian=best song ever. It gets my vote.

Cheers!
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Do not deny the "layla"ness. I'd have to say I'd probably have to throw that in there. Along with "one" which is also well done musically.
    Pokemon Pearl FC: 3479 9091 3139

Advanced Trainer

Layla is definitely a good one. Wonderful Tonight is too, while we're on the subject of Clapton

Banned

Default Re: Most musically sound song? (poll)

"Bohemian Rhapsody", for me there is no doubt about it. Never have I heard a song make so much sense without making any sense at all.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Of course all the old classic rock bands would be considered musically sound, thats why they're considered classics and are still listened to today. I love bands that appear to be musically unsound, but through all the distortion, fuzz, and noise it all makes sense. Take Jimi Hendrix, guy was a sloppy guitar player but that's what made his sound so amazing, also the guy lived for distortion. Also certain modern bands such as tool are musically sound to me. The songs are very intricate, and well organized for their level of complexity. The tool song H. sounds just amazing to me, the lyrics are very touching yet filled with a certain rage and hate that you can sense. Also the way all the instruments crescendo and decrescendo throughtout the song is great to hear.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Bohemian Rhapsody the most musically sound? Are you all high on the crack? I'm not sure what exaclty is the most musically sound,but that song is not the MOST musically sound. Don't get me wrong it is good,but saying it is the best ever is going a little to far.Then again it's all a matter of opinion.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

&quot;Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. Ah, but I repeat myself.&quot;

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

'Bohemian Rhapsody'=(y) I can't tell you how many times I've randomly started singing that song, at home and in public... it's great fun when you're with a bunch of friends, too!

'Laguna Sunrise' by Sabbath, I love that song... and I'll second 'Wonderful Tonight'.

Hate me if you want, but I think that 'Intro 3.0' by Slipknot should be on the list. I thought I was going to die when I first heard it.

I'm going to have to make a list...

[Annie] - Kurosakura says: Dru Dru, your RP's not rated M XD
    Drusie says: Oh fuck.
    Headbutting a car = not fun! says: It is now.
    -------------------------------

3DS Code: 5300-9721-4472
    Switch Code: 1866-7493-0014
    PoGo Code: 5716-4300-0144
    Steam: Jessyrah

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

What about Stariway To Heaven. It is perfection to the ear, no?

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I don't believe any song is really "perfect",but some really nice sounding ones would have to be 1.Wonder Wall(Oasis),2.Clocks(Coldplay). There are better,but those songs sound quite good to the ear.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

&quot;Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. Ah, but I repeat myself.&quot;

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

This may sound awkward, but I think Straylight Run's got some really good instrumentals--very equal, distributive, but their vocals are shitty.

And that's the last you'll hear me speak of this band.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

Banned

What about "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles? Everything clicks perfectly there, and the finale to song is absolute perfection.

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Magnum
    What about "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles? Everything clicks perfectly there, and the finale to song is absolute perfection.
    *pokes back in*
    I LOVE that song.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Magnum
    AH! I knew I was forgetting something. That song is great. In fact a lot of the beatles songs were great. To name a couple,Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,and Eleanor Rigby.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I love ob-la-di ob-la-da for some reason. I just find it an addictive song.So are alot of beatles songs though.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Eleanor Rigby is bloody awesome.

Manhattan Project and Time Stand Still, both by Rush, would definately be on my list. I'm going to use Time Stand Still for my senior video.

[Annie] - Kurosakura says: Dru Dru, your RP's not rated M XD
    Drusie says: Oh fuck.
    Headbutting a car = not fun! says: It is now.
    -------------------------------

3DS Code: 5300-9721-4472
    Switch Code: 1866-7493-0014
    PoGo Code: 5716-4300-0144
    Steam: Jessyrah

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is yet another good one.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Banned

Tomorrow Never Knows is perfection, I don't even know whats in it, I think its a load of backwards tapes but just sounds so great.

And Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End, I sort of view that as one track seeing as theyre al so short and blend so well.

Advanced Trainer

Another one would be Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. I am absolutely addicted to this song.

Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I don't think calling Bohemian Rhapsody the best song ever is much of a stretch, really. So many people absolutely love it, and it's one of those songs that people can just begin singing anytime - at school, work, home, out with friends, etc. - and everyone joins in. Also, a lot of the 'Best Songs Ever' lists made worldwide usually list Bohemian Rhapsody as around number 3-4 of all time.

Cheers!
    ...Quest for the Truth of the Legend ...

Lisa the Legend

Winner of 12 Silver Pencil Awards 2011 - Including Best Plot, Best Character in a Leading Role, Best Moment and Best Fic of the Forum for Lisa the Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pikachu
    Feel free to withdraw at any time, Gavin.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post
    ...Far too many references!! You're like the Swiss army knife of discussion.

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by nightcrow
    Musically, I think Pachebel Canon in D is so flippin amazing... it gives me goosebumps
    Hey man, I love that piece. I actually went out and bought it in a compilation CD, I loved it so much. My mother actually had a recording of the song done in flutes, rather than the actual orchestration, so it was always familiar to me growing up, but never did much for me until I actually heard the full orchestrated version of it in Neon Genesis Evangelion.

It truely is a full-sounding piece.

And on another note, I really love that song "Tonight Tonight" by the Smashing Pumpkins, along with the music video, which plays an even greater part of sweeping me off my feet. Between the orchestration, the lush soft guitars, and Billy Corgan's vocals, (which most people would probably hate. I personally love it)...it gives me[ goosebumps.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    A strange and magical frozen land of ice and beer called "Canada"

Ooooooh, you guys will love Symphony X. Especially "The Odessey," which is 24 minutes of metal/orchestral bliss. I also reccomend Rediscovery pt I and II, Through the Looking Glass, The Accolade, The Divine Wings of Tragedy (another 20 minute song), hell, anything from Symphony X.

Or if death metal is more your thing, look into Moonlyght. I'm sorry to say that there's only one of their songs on P2P ware, and the only other one I've managed to find is very very very rare.

And Tool. Baby, you can't do wrong with Tool.
    [img][/img]

Mewfour is a Canadian writer and longtime TPM veteran.
    Over his impressive 9-year ficcing career he has won 5
    Silver Pencils and 3 Golden Pen awards, and currently holds
    the record for most times won Most Evil Fanficcer (3)

He's also not above posting stuff about himself in the third person.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Tonight Tonight, is a great song MUSICALLY. His voice, however, makes my ears bleed. It doesn't fit the song at all.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy
    Tonight Tonight, is a great song MUSICALLY. His voice, however, makes my ears bleed. It doesn't fit the song at all.
    I actually thought Billy's voice was the best part of it all. The thing is, it DOES fit. I try to picture other singers, any singer I know of, singing that song, and it would just be killed. Billy Corgan doesn't have a typical voice. It's neither deep, nor whiny. Vibrant, nor dull. It's just Billy Corgan. Songs like that, by the Smashing Pumpkins, could never be covered, because his voice is too trademark. I try to picture some of my favorite singers...David Bowie, Thom Yorke, Matthew Bellamy, Trent Reznor, Robert Smith, singing this song. It just wouldn't work. Not because they're better or worse, but because they wouldn't fit.

Meh...just my personal preference. Billy Corgan isn't known for having a beloved voice, but it's different without sounding ridiculus, like say, that freak from Coheed and Cambria (seriously, what is up with that guy's voice?). And I'd take his voice any day over those typical lead-singer whiny voices from Simply Plan, Brand New, Blink 182 or Story of the Year. Now THEY make my ears bleed.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Well we're all entitled to our own opinion,but his voice just seems so odd with the music. I mean IMO it just stinks, but maybe you hear something that I don't.
    Random Mark Twain Saying