Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official FR/LG Limited Pure Monotype Challenge of 2005

Chairman Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer
    (Donator)

Default Re: The Official FR/LG Limited Pure Monotype Challenge of 2005

I'd love to go with a poison pure-type challenge too, since my team would be Arbok, Weezing, and Muk. (Think of what Ash would be if he killed Meowth and joined Team Rocket. )

EDIT: God, I can't believe I created this post around two years ago, back when Team Rocket still owned their poison Pokemon! Poryhedron, you have my support! *applauds*
    Last edited by Shuppet Master; 5th May 2008 at 01:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorak
    Ever wonder what it'd be like if a person who could barely speak English were to rom-hack one of the Pokemon games, replace the characters, plot, and Pokemon with ones of his own creation, while at the same time making a terrible mockery of the English language as a whole?

Of course not. Because that'd suck really, really hard. Unfortunately, even though you didn't think about it, this guy did.

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Name: Mitch
    Type: Poison

Mitch...I tried to think of a good name that was based on the Poison-type. I tried Poison...venom...sludge...arsenic...cancer...nothi ng came to me. Finally I went with Mitch out of desperation. It's based on MTC, the acronym for MonoType Challenge. ¬_¬;
    If I'm poison, then my rival would be an antidote, so I named the rival Andy. Wow I'm dumb.
    I picked up Squirtle, named it HMer 3, and with its good defense and Bulbasaur's so-so attack, beat Andy handily. Then I stepped outside the lab and activated the Game Shark code that gave me my real battler, a level-5 Koffing (The "This POKéMON is really quite energetic!" message popped up again, followed by "MITCH recieved the KOFFING from PROF. OAK!")
    Koffing proved worrisomely susceptible to damage from the local Rattata and Pidgey, so I hung around Pallet, battling a Route-1 pokémon, going back home to heal, then battling another Route-1 pokémon...you don't encounter this many L4 pokémon in Route 1 in the original Red/Blue. When Koffing made it to level 6 I headed through to Viridian City.
    I had used a Potion in a Route-1 battle, so the first thing I did here was grab the Potion from the northwest corner. Then I picked up Oak's Parcel and went back to Pallet.
    After getting my Pokédex and five Pokéballs, I trudged back to Route 1, found a Pidgey, caught it and named it HMer 1. Then I saved and called it a day; I just got back from the vacation I mentioned in the GSC board and I'm kinda tired.

Team:
    Koffing L7
    Tackle, Poison Gas, —, —
    (I'm thinking Sludge, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower...filler...)

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, —, —, —
    (This'll be my Flyer some day.)

HMer 3 L6
    Tackle, Tail Whip, —, —
    (HMs 3, 4, 6 and 7 will be this guy's responsibility.)

NOT CAUGHT YET
    (Nidorina's going to be my Special Sweeper. Boltbeam, Crunch and a fillerific D-Team.)

NOT CAUGHT YET
    (This will eventually be an Arbok with Acid, Earthquake, Strength and Glare.)

NOT CAUGHT YET
    (HMer 2 is going to be a Meowth, with HMs 1 and 5, Dig, and Pickup duty as well!)

Next: Pewter City: To Squeeze Blood From A Stone!

By the way, a question: When is this Challenge considered 'complete'? Do we just need to beat the Elite Four or must we also complete the post-Elite Sevii Islands plot by defeating Team Rocket in their Warehouse on Five Island? Bear in mind that the latter option means we must have Pokédex Data for 60 species...I can easily navigate Rock Tunnel without Flash, but the National Dex is not skippable.
    Last edited by Poryhedron; 23rd November 2006 at 04:48 PM.

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

One thing....did u not think to take Bulbasaur as ur starter since it is a Poison type?

Afterworld ~ Chapter 2 | Blood Bowl ~ Chapter 3
    If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Charizard
    One thing....did u not think to take Bulbasaur as ur starter since it is a Poison type?
    Bulbasaur is Grass/Poison. This isn't just any old Monotype Challenge: It's the Limited Pure Monotype Challenge. That means you check your dual-types at the door.

In that Case my siggestion goes from Bulbasaur to Muk lol.

Decent Movepool at least.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

The Crows, just stop the crows Moderator

Yeh this looks fun i shall start one and my mono type shall be Water i will post the start up later.

~*~*~* Unown Awards *~*~*~
    "Y"earning | "B"anner Guy | "K"urosakura's

Advanced Trainer

I visited Viridian Forest and battled all of the trainers, learned Smog, then decided to try my luck against the rival on Route 22. I poisoned his Pidgey and brought it down without too much trouble. I knew his Bulbasaur might be more of a pain, though, because it couldn't be poisoned and it could get me with Leech Seed. I braced myself for the battle with Andy's starter...
    ANDY sent out CHARMANDER!
    My jaw hung open for a bit. Apparently the Game Shark code messed something up...I shouldn't have used it before getting the Pokédex, probably...Charmander of course being susceptible to Poison, it went down as easily as Pidgey had, but now I'm left with a quandry. Should I continue, or should I restart and hope to do it right this time? A Bulbasaur in my rival's hands would up the challenge because it can't be poisoned.
    I'm not going to go further until I hear an answer...and anyway, I'm still waiting to hear how far we must complete the game for this challenge. If we need to beat Team Rocket in the Islands, then I don't want to hop off the ledge into Cerulean without having caught pokémon from around here.

Team:
    Koffing L11
    Tackle, Poison Gas, Smog, —

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, —, —, —

HMer 3 L6
    Tackle, Tail Whip, —, —

NOT CAUGHT YET
    (Nidorina's going to be my Special Sweeper. Boltbeam, Crunch and a fillerific D-Team.)

NOT CAUGHT YET

NOT CAUGHT YET
    (HMer 2 is going to be a Meowth, with HMs 1 and 5, Dig, and Pickup duty as well!)

Next: /crackling static/

Name: Wave
    Type: Water

As Poryhedron I started by thinking of a name to call myself that relates to water, though I couldn't think of anything so I went with wave. The name I chose for my rival was Trent cause it sounds a bit like tree.

I started off with a Squirtle and named it Cannon, beat Trent at the lab and started my journey. Squirtle grew to lvl 7 on the way, stopped off at the Pokemart and picked up Oaks Parcel. I then moved back to Pallet town to give it to him, once I had recieved my five Pokeballs I moved onto Viridian Forest. Along the way I captured a lvl 4 pidgey to use as my HM slave. I am now currently saved in Viridian forest.

Team

Squirtle (Cannon) L8
    Tackle, Tail Whip, Bubble, -

Pidgey (Feather) L4
    Tackle, -, -, -

(PS: Poryhedron how do you get the cool little pictures on the post cause mine don't seem to work?.)

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Elf Boy
    Name: Wave
    Type: Water

As Poryhedron I started by thinking of a name to call myself that relates to water, though I couldn't think of anything so I went with wave.
    I would probably have gone with Walter, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Elf Boy
    (PS: Poryhedron how do you get the cool little pictures on the post cause mine don't seem to work?.)
    Well, you should be able to click a button on the post interface and it sticks code in that looks like this: (img)(/img) except that it has brackets instead of parentheses. You find a good picture online somewhere and stick its URL between the (img) and the (/img).

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Just beat the Elite 4 and the challenge is complete. It's already hard enough as it is. Wait, how about we vote, what do you guys wanna do?
    Random Mark Twain Saying

"Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. Ah, but I repeat myself."

Well if we are going to do the sevii islands we are going to at least need 60 different types.

Here is an update.

I continued on To Pewter City to defeat Brock he was quite easy, I took out both his pokemon in one shot. After recieving the boulder badge I walked down the road towards Mt Moon and met Prof Oaks aide who gave me the running shoes. I ran through Mt Moon beating every trainer with relative ease and my squirtle evolved into a wartortle. Colloected the helix fossil and moved on.

I moved into Cerulean City first thing I did was went and beat Misty, all here pokemon went down easily as well. Collected the Cascade badge and ran on up to nugget bridge, beat Trent the only challenge was his Bulbasaur but it went down in two shots. I battled my way up Nugget Bridge and through Route 22 to get to Bill's house and rescue him. After he gave me the S.S ticket I trailed down to vermillion city.

I went straight to the S.S and defeated all the trainer, including my rival. I helped out the captain and recieved HM01 Cut, as I moved of the boat it sailed away onto its next destination. I continued on to digglets cave to catch myself a digglet. Coming out victorious from Digglets cave I am currently saved in Vermillion City

Next Part: The hardest batlle yet.

Team

Cannon LV 34
    Bite, Protect, Water Gun, Rapid Spin

Feather LV 4 (HM Slave)
    Tackle, -, -, -

Karpy LV 5
    Spalsh, -, -, -

Diggles LV 16 (HM Slave)
    Sand Attack, Scratch, Growl, Magnitude

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron
    I would probably have gone with Walter, personally.
    Sorry I was feeling very unimaginative that day

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron
    Well, you should be able to click a button on the post interface and it sticks code in that looks like this: (img)(/img) except that it has brackets instead of parentheses. You find a good picture online somewhere and stick its URL between the (img) and the (/img).
    Thank you so much Poryhedron

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Beating the league was good enough in the old RBY MTC. That means it should be enough for FRLG. No?

I vote for 'League ends it'.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Ok, League it is, any objections?
    Random Mark Twain Saying

"Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. Ah, but I repeat myself."

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by MeLoVeGhOsTs
    Beating the league was good enough in the old RBY MTC. That means it should be enough for FRLG. No?
    Yeah, but that's because beating the league was the end of the plot. There's a whole other plotline going on in the Sevii Islands with Team Rocket's warehouse and Lorelei and whatnot. If you guys don't want to include it, though, I can live with that. Less work for me anyway.
    Incidentally, I've decided I'm going to go ahead and restart, and this time I'll just use a code that lets me encounter wild Koffing in Route 1. No glitchiness that way.
    Okay, I've restarted, I repeated everything except that I didn't catch Koffing until after I had the Pokédex. I raised Koffing in Viridian Forest for a while; I was expecting to battle Metapod, who could be poisoned and couldn't attack me, but I never met one. I did meet Weedle and Kakuna, which were easy battles anyway because Weedle's only attack was Poison Sting and Kakuna couldn't attack. I even met a Pikachu and had an exciting battle with it.
    While doing this, I also searched online for some good nicknames for my team, and I found a set I like. Too late for Koffing...but only as Weezing is it truly suited to its name, so I can wait until Lavender Town for that one.
    When Koffing reached level 10 I tried my luck against the rival. His Pidgey went down but put up a rather decent showing, including a Sand-Attack. Then the Bulbasaur came out...and used nothing but straight Tackles. Andy never called for the Leech Seed I'd feared, and the one Sand-Attack from Pidgey didn't cause me trouble. All in all it was quite anticlimactic.

Team:
    Koffing L10
    Poison Gas, Tackle, Smog, —

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, —, —, —

HMer 3 L7
    Tackle, Tail Whip, Bubble, —

NOT CAUGHT YET

NOT CAUGHT YET

NOT CAUGHT YET

Next: Pewter Gym: to Squeeze Blood From A Stone! And this time I mean it!

Advanced Trainer

Okay...Brock wasn't anywhere near as hard as I thought he'd be...I clearly underestimated the usefulness of Poison Gas. His Geodude and Onix took some time to bring down, but didn't put up as much of a fight as I'd expected.
    What is proving difficult is finding my next party member. Turns out female Nidoran are 1% of encounters in Route 3 in Fire Red. I might be here a while. I'm not too concerned about being too strong to catch her, despite already being three times the level they appear at; I figure Smog will be weak enough to work out.

Team:
    Koffing L18
    Poison Gas, Smog, Tackle, SelfDistruct

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, —, —, —

HMer 3 L7

NOT CAUGHT YET

NOT CAUGHT YET

NOT CAUGHT YET

Next: The other two Poison-type battlers await!

Advanced Trainer

It took quite some time, giving me flashbacks to catching Chansey in GSC, but I finally found a female Nidoran. I named her Cerberus. Before entering Mt. Moon, I trained Cerberus, first in Viridian Forest and then in Route 3, until she learned Double Kick so that she could handle wild Geodude. Then I passed through Mt. Moon. Cerberus did quite well, evolving into Nidorina before I was finished with the ground floor.
    Right near the end of Mt. Moon, as I was approaching the ladder back up from the lowest level, I encountered a Clefairy. Given how rare they are, I caught it just for the heck of it and named it TrophyPKMN. Then I exited into Route 4.
    I walked east, picking up stray items along the way, and dropped into Cerulean City. I went to the Pokémon Center and deposited TrophyPKMN, then went back out into Route 4. Here I needed to catch my final battler: Ekans. While training Nidoran I had had a rather annoying encounter with a Jigglypuff with Cute Charm, and both Koffing and Cerberus were female, so I decided I wanted a male Ekans just in case. While I was looking for a gender, I figured I might as well also look for an ability; Ekans can have either Intimidate or Shed Skin. After thinking about it for a while I decided I preferred Shed Skin because I wouldn't have to withdraw Ekans and send it back out again to get the benefit more than once.
    Luckily, the very first Ekans I met was male and had Shed Skin (I knew this because it failed to lower Koffing's Attack.) I caught it, named it Hydra and will work on training it for a while before battling Misty or the Rival on Nugget Bridge.

Team:
    Hydra L8
    Wrap, Leer, Poison Sting, —

Cerberus L20
    Scratch, Poison Sting, Double Kick, Tail Whip

Koffing L20
    Poison Gas, Smog, Tackle, SelfDistruct

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, —, —, —

HMer 3 L7

NOT CAUGHT YET

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Just posting to show that I'm keeping up with this. Someone must take the bug challenge! I'd take it myself, but my Fire Red copy has been missing for I don't know how long. Any takers?
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Maybe cos the main viable Choices are limited to Illumise, Volbeat and Pinsir.
    Suppose could use a Pineco but if u want evo's....

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

Advanced Trainer

Raising Hydra was slow going at first. I ended up using two Rare Candies on him. Things really picked up when he learned Bite, though. I got him to level 15, and then went north to battle Andy. His Pidgeotto was the biggest Sand-Attack whore ever. The ironic thing is that, after being subjected to over half a dozen attacks that all missed, it ended up hurting itself by attacking just as I was switching in Cerberus, and triggering her Poison Point. Andy's Abra and Rattata were nice meals for Hydra. Then Andy sent out his Bulbasaur...and it used Vine Whip. Several times. I was starting to feel like an idiot for claiming Bulbasaur would be a bigger challenge...until it switched tracks and hit Koffing with Sleep Powder. It still stuck with Vine Whip as its damaging attack, though, so I eventually finished it off with little fuss.
    After healing, I had Hydra handle all of Nugget Bridge and then started on the Route 25 trainers. Bite's flinch chance proved quite useful; I'll miss it when it gets replaced. On the plus side, though, Hydra did learn Glare, so I'll still be able to give foes pause. After that, I started putting in Koffing, and as I'd hoped, it learned Sludge before I was through with Route 25.
    On returning to Cerulean City, I noticed that the policeman in front of the robbed house had moved. I'd thought that wouldn't happen until I'd beaten Misty, but I guess I was wrong. I went ahead and got TM28, taught it to Hydra, and then went down to Route 5 to catch my last party member. Hydra will use Dig for now as a decent Ground-type attack, and then I'll be able to buy another TM28 in Celadon City so that HMer 2 can continue to use Dig after Hydra's moved up to Earthquake.

Team:
    Koffing L21
    Poison Gas, Tackle, Sludge, Smog

Hydra L21
    Glare, Bite, Poison Sting, Dig

Cerberus L22
    Bite, Scratch, Double Kick, Poison Sting

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, —, —, —

HMer 2 L10
    Scratch, Growl, Bite, —
    (Meowth will have HMs 1 and 5, Dig, and Pickup duty as well!)

HMer 3 L7

Next: Cerulean Gym! With a Pickupper in tow!

I will take the bug challenge after this one kk

UPDATE

I thought that LT. Surge was going to be may hardest battle yet but it was a piece of cake after Cannon one hitted his pokemon while training in the gym Cannon evolved. After receiving the thunder badge I worked my way up to and through Rock Tunnel defeating all the trainers along the way. Rock tunnel was also an easy task for Cannon, I made my way over to Celadon city.
    In coming to Celadon city the first thing I di was went and caught my second edition to the team an Eevee which I elvoed into a Vapereon and naming it Aquarus. I started to get Aquarus ready for the gym battle by defeating all the trainers in the Rocket game corner and before beating Giovanni Aquarus finally learnt an Ice attack making my fight against Erika so much easier.
    After Giovanni flew the coup it was on to The Celadon gym, all the battles were a breeze for Aquarus even Erika's pokemon went down without a major fight. I then moved onto Lavender town to start the tower quest there, I am currently saved in the Pokemon Tower.

Team
    Cannon (Blastiose) LV42
    Bite, Water gun, Rapid Spin, Protect

Aquarus (Vaporeon) LV36
    Bite, Aurora Beam, Water Pulse, Quick Attack

NOT CAUGHT YET (Possibly a Kingler of Dewgong)

Feather (Pidgey HM Slave) LV3 HM 2
    Tackle, -, -, -

Diggles (Digglet HM Slave) LV18 HM's 1 and 7
    Dig, Cut, Magnitude, Scratch

NOT CAUGHT YET (Possibly a Pikachu for HM's 4 and 5)

Master Trainer

I just don't get it Poryhedron? Why don't you take Nidorino as your special attacker? instead of Nidorina? Nidorino has better sp.atk and attack IIRC.

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by MeLoVeGhOsTs
    I just don't get it Poryhedron? Why don't you take Nidorino as your special attacker? instead of Nidorina? Nidorino has better sp.atk and attack IIRC.
    You don't RC. Nidoking has better Attack and Special Attack, but until the final stage (which they won't reach in this game) their Special prowess is identical. Remember that I was originally going to have both genders in my party; Nidorino has better Attack than Nidorina, so I was going to have the male be a physical sweeper and the female be a special sweeper...and I just got stuck in that concept, I guess. Doesn't matter much now. ...actually, on checking their stats again I see that there's another reason to have the female as the special sweeper. She gets Bite and then Crunch naturally; the male doesn't. He gets Horn Attack and then Horn Drill at those levels.

Master Trainer

Ow, ok. There goes my knowledge, flying out the window. *floats*

Advanced Trainer

I entered Cerulean Gym and battled my way to Misty. Koffing dispatched her Staryu with relative ease despite confusion from Water Pulse. For Starmie, I sent in Hydra. He Glared Starmie, and Starmie replied with a Water Pulse that took Hydra down to 10 HP. It was at this point that I realized I didn't have any Super Potions...and regular Potions wouldn't be enough...I used Bite, hoping for flinch, but it didn't happen. Hydra went down. I replaced him with Cerberus, who also had Bite...Starmie fainted not long after.
    CascadeBadge in hand, I stopped by the Pokémart, bought some Super Potions and status-curers, and headed down Route 5 again, this time continuing on to the Underground Path. Knowing I wouldn't be back later with an Itemfinder this runthrough, I went over the entire Path with a fine-toothed comb...my word there are a lot of items down there. There were only two, maybe three, in Red/Blue...in Fire Red there are five, a Potion and various status-curers.
    Hydra's Shed Skin ability proved useful in Route 6 against a Double-Powdering Butterfree, and after that battle Hydra evolved into an Arbok! Yay! While in Route 6, I also decided to move Cerberus closer to her stated goal of special-sweeping by teaching her Water Pulse.
    I reached Vermilion City, got the Bike Voucher, ran all the way back to Cerulean and exchanged it for a Bicycle, Biked all the way back to Vermilion and then boarded the S.S. Anne. I beat everyone on board, including Andy (who actually fought a little more intelligently with his Ivysaur this time!) and got the Cut HM. After teaching the move to HMer 2, I went over to the Gym, cleaned house with the help of Hydra's Dig, and won the ThunderBadge. Surge's Raichu took a while because it used a ton of Double Teams, but I finally brought it down. Lt. Surge gave me a TM for Shock Wave and I promptly used it on Cerberus.
    For completion's sake, I next battled the trainers in Route 11. Early on I grew tired of Koffing having only Tackle for pokémon that resisted Poison attacks, so I peeked in my TM Case and ended up teaching Koffing Secret Power.
    Toward the end of Route 11, one of the Gamblers had his pokémon use Roar. Cerberus was pseudohazed and out popped...HMer 3. Fuming, I turned off the game (violation of Challenge rules) and reverted to save...which was just before I entered the Route. I taught Koffing Secret Power again and beat everyone on the Route except that one Gambler, then saved right near him. I took him on again, and this time his pokémon didn't use Roar. Lucky...

Team:
    Cerberus L27
    Bite, Water Pulse, Shock Wave, Double Kick

Hydra L27
    Glare, Dig, Poison Sting, Bite

Koffing L27
    Poison Gas, Secret Power, Sludge, Smokescreen

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, —, —, —

HMer 2 L10
    Scratch, Growl, Bite, Cut

HMer 3 L7

Next: The Road To Rock Tunnel!

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Just checking up, congratulations on those new badges you've earned and thanks for following the rules.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Advanced Trainer

I passed through Diglett's Cave (one Diglett got a Magnitude 10 on Koffing, who promptly ignored it. ) and came out into Route 2. Heading south, I met one of Prof. Oak's Aides...
    "If your POKéDEX has complete data on ten species, I'm supposed to give you a reward. PROF. OAK entrusted me with HM05 for you. So, MITCH, let me ask you. Have you gathered data on at least ten kinds of POKéMON?"
    (Seen: 54
    Owned: 9)
    "Erm...hold that thought, okay?" And with that I rushed south to Viridian City, picking up stray items along the way. Once there, I withdrew from Bill's PC the random Clefairy I had caught in Mt. Moon and nicknamed TrophyPKMN. I also connected to my own PC, and withdrew one of the two Moon Stones I had found. Mere seconds later I had my tenth complete Pokédex entry.
    "Congratulations! Here you go!" The Aide handed over HM 5 and I used it to teach Flash to HMer 2.
    On my way back through Mt. Moon to Cerulean City, I encountered another Clefairy. I flicked it away just like all of the Zubat. How many trophies does a guy need?
    I passed through Cerulean City and then battled my way down Route 9 and into Rock Tunnel. It was kinda slow going to get through all of the Rock and Ground-types, especially since I didn't think things through very well when I decided to replace Hydra's Bite with Screech back in Route 9...Cerberus' Water Pulse was useful several times, but there were occasions when Koffing, with its Levitate, was the pokémon for the job despite having no attacks that dealt standard or better to Geodude.
    When I finally emerged into the sun, I quickly made my way to Lavender Town, bypassing all of the Route 10 trainers, healed at the Pokémon Center and then went back to crush the trainers. The Picnicker in Route 10 gave me a major scare; she had a level-21 Pidgey, high enough to know Whirlwind, and as soon as I realized that, I realized I hadn't saved in a while...sure enough, it used Whirlwind, but Hydra ended up replaced by Koffing, I breathed a huge sigh of relief and quickly wasted the bird before it could do that again. Then I saved.
    I beat the rest of the Route 10 trainers, then restocked at the Lavender Pokémart and headed west. I beat everyone on Route 8, went through the Underground Path with a fine-toothed comb again and found another plethora of minor healing items, and then finally arrived in Celadon City. The first thing I did was dash straight across the city and out the other side, and pick up HM 2. I taught it to HMer 1, flew back to the Celadon Pokémon Center and called it a day.

Team:
    Koffing L33
    Poison Gas, Secret Power, Sludge, Smokescreen

Cerberus L33

Hydra L33
    Glare, Dig, Poison Sting, Screech

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, Fly, —, —
    (It weighs 4 pounds and carries me through the sky. 'Tis better not to ask.)

HMer 2 L10
    Scratch, Growl, Flash, Cut

HMer 3 L7

Next: Badge #4 and a rechristening!

Advanced Trainer

I visited Celadon Department Store and was annoyed to rediscover that Ice Beam is no longer gotten by giving a Fresh Water to someone. Rocket Game Corner proved to have four of the TMs I need for my planned movesets, and they all cost quite a bit...I ended up picking up the Yellow Flute while I was there, because that thing's quite useful, but now I have to figure out how to get enough money for those four TMs...
    ...in the meantime, Koffing didn't need any TMs to handle Erika. I headed over to Celadon Gym, and with Koffing alone, wiped out everybody without having to stop to recover. On defeating the last of Erika's 'minions', Koffing grew to level 35 and evolved into Weezing. It then tore Erika's personal team to shreds.
    As congratulations, I flew to Lavender Town, visited the Name Rater and gave Weezing its team nickname: Chimera. Not only are all three battlers now named after monsters of Greek myth, those monsters are actually related: they're the three children of Typhon and Echidna, powerful half-serpents.</greekmythlesson>
    I didn't want to get too much farther without being able to pick up a Game Corner TM, so I finally made the (possibly fever-crazed) decision to work on Hydra's Attack EV. I flew to Mt. Moon and had Hydra beat up many many Paras, while hoping against hope that HMer 2 would Pickup a sizable number of Nuggets, or failing that, Rare Candies and TM 10s that I could sell (I'm not selling PP Ups. I'm hoarding those.) I ended up with one EV-ed up Hydra, an impressive collection of basic berries and a PP Up. I considered moving on to raising Cerberus' Special Attack, but I would need the Silph Scope before I could do that because Pokémon Tower is easily the best place for it. With a sigh, I gave up and proceeded to attack Team Rocket's Celadon City HQ.
    I pretty well trashed the place, using mostly Hydra and Chimera becuse I planned on gathering EP for Cerberus shortly after. I did find a Calcium that I gave her, and also a Nugget and other items that I sold to fund TMs (I was surprised to discover that the folks at the Celadon Department Store would not buy Moon Stones from me!)
    After winning the Silph Scope from Giovanni and buying some Game Corner Coins toward those elusive TMs, I headed back to Lavender, beat Andy again and then had Cerberus Bite every Gastly I could find. I worked my way up until I had defeated all of the trainers, then fooled around for a while to gather more Special Attack EP from the wild Gastly, while checking on HMer 2 every so often for any expensive goodies (I was a bit luckier this time.) Then, when I had maxed Cerberus' Special Attack EV, I knocked some sense into Cubone's mother, smacked around the Rockets on the top floor and was granted the Poké Flute by Mr. Fuji.
    After that was dealt with, I flew back to Celadon, sold some nifty stuff I'd found and bought Game Corner Coins. I managed to buy enough so that I could score a TM 35 for Chimera! I was kinda poor after that, but at least I'm this much closer to completing Chimera's moveset.

Team:
    Hydra L39
    Acid, Dig, Glare, Screech

Chimera L39
    Sludge, Secret Power, Flamethrower, Smokescreen

Cerberus L46

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, Fly, —, —

HMer 2 L10
    Dig, Growl, Flash, Cut
    (All that, and Pickup duty as well!)

HMer 3 L7

Next: Going on Safari!

Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Alright, I've thought about joining for the last few days and I'm going to start using Fire (In my LG game..). My problem is I'm not totally sure which 3 fire pure types to use. Initially I thought Charmeleon, Vulpix, Magmar... But now that I think about it I also have Flareon and Ponyta/Rapidash as possibilities. As far as I can tell I'd be allowed to use Flareon, which would be nice to have Shadow Ball on, and Ponyta: Sunny Day<>Solar Beam<>Fire Blast/Flamethrower<>Bounce might actually be very useful.... Any opinions? I'm gonna go ahead and start with Charmander regardless so i've got some time to think about it.

EDIT: Wait, i can't even get Ponyta till the Sevii islands now can I? I has been way too long...
    "OMG your shiny pokemon's hurting my eyes!!!"

I've got an idea, how about we draw straws, and the loser gets to run across the parking lot with ham sandwich!" - Steve (DOTD)

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid_Cow
    Alright, I've thought about joining for the last few days and I'm going to start using Fire (In my LG game..). My problem is I'm not totally sure which 3 fire pure types to use. Initially I thought Charmeleon, Vulpix, Magmar... But now that I think about it I also have Flareon and Ponyta/Rapidash as possibilities. As far as I can tell I'd be allowed to use Flareon, which would be nice to have Shadow Ball on, and Ponyta: Sunny Day<>Solar Beam<>Fire Blast/Flamethrower<>Bounce might actually be very useful.... Any opinions? I'm gonna go ahead and start with Charmander regardless so i've got some time to think about it.

EDIT: Wait, i can't even get Ponyta till the Sevii islands now can I? I has been way too long...
    You can't get Ponyta or Magmar until you visit One Island, but remember that you can visit there immediately after your seventh badge.

Advanced Trainer

I normally save Silph Co. and defeat Sabrina before waking Snorlax and going to Fucshia, but so many people do it the other way around that I decided to try it out this time to see what all the fuss was about. Plus, I'd really like to get Strength on Hydra as soon as possible...
    I flew back to Lavender, battled my way down Route 12, woke Snorlax and kicked its butt, and continued down toward Fucshia. After an encounter with a Bird Keeper whose pokémon could easily have used Whirlwind (but didn't) I flew to Celadon, bought Retro Mail and gave it to HMer 1, writing myself a reminder to save more often against the threat of Whirlwind and Roar. I ended up saving quite a bit against the horde of Bird Keepers in Routes 13-14.
    I actually didn't finish Route 14; instead, after beating only some of the trainers I raced ahead to Fucshia, avoiding everyone else. I went into the Safari Zone, and circumnavigated the place picking up lots of random items. At the end I scored HM3 and the Gold Teeth, which I swapped for HM4.
    I kinda had to nudge HMer 3 for a bit, because the poor little guy's been cooling his heels in his Pokéball ever since I caught Koffing. I taught him Surf and Strength, and immediately tried out Strength to get the Rare Candy in the Warden's home. Then I booted up HM4 again and gave Hydra a very welcome addition to his moveset. (Just realized, I didn't need to assign Strength to HMer 3...I wonder if I could have done this with two HMers...nah, I need Meowth's Pickup and it can't learn Surf or Fly, and the only FR/LG pokémon who can learn both is Dragonite.)
    With Hydra's new move, I headed back east and polished off Route 15 and the rest of Route 14. Then I went to the Pokémart, sold stuff I'd found at the Safari Zone and bought more Game Corner Coins. It'd be like a frightening addiction if not for the fact that I never actually play the slots...I'm getting close to being able to buy a TM for Cerberus, but I should probably get Chimera's Shadow Ball soon, and that costs a bit more...decisions, decisions...
    There's a Nugget in the Safari Zone, but I can't grab it for myself until I can use Surf out of battle, so next I challenged Koga's Gym. This Gym actually put effort into being challenging; the pokémon were somewhat close to my level (by which I mean a few of them were within ten levels from me) and there were Psychics in there armed with STAB attacks. The only threat that came from Koga himself was when his Muk abused Minimize and I had to use Cerberus' Shock Wave, which wasn't very damaging.
    After scoring the Soul Badge, I went back into the Safari Zone and grabbed the Nugget, along with a couple of items from Area 3 that I hadn't gotten to last time. Then I sold stuff, and bought Game Corner Coins, and managed to earn just barely enough for Chimera's Shadow Ball. Now Chimera's moveset is more or less complete, and I'm more or less a pauper. And I still have 160,000 worth of TMs to get Cerberus...oy...

Team:
    Chimera L46
    Sludge, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, Smokescreen
    (My anti-Ghost, anti-Steel and anti-Psychic. Smokescreen is filler.)

Hydra L46
    Glare, Acid, Strength, Dig
    (Dig soon to be replaced with Earthquake.)

Cerberus L46

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, Fly, —, —

HMer 2 L10
    Dig, Growl, Flash, Cut

HMer 3 L7
    Strength, Tail Whip, Bubble, Surf

Next: Saffron Showdown!

Advanced Trainer

Having finished with Fucshia, I pedaled my way up Cycling Road, battling everyone on Routes 18 and 17. Then I flew to Celadon for a quick heal, stomped the other Snorlax and then battled everyone on Route 16. With that done, I hopped across Route 7 and finally got around to giving the Tea I'd picked up two badges ago to the guard. He didn't seem to mind the wait.
    I picked up TM 29, confirmed that no one can learn it, sold it, and entered Silph Co.'s corporate HQ. First thing I did in there was race up to the fifth floor and pick up the Card Key, dodging all of the Rockets and treacherous employees. Then I went back down to the third floor, battled a Rocket and an employee who were in the way, rode the warp panel to the ninth floor, and battled one more Rocket, clearing the way to the healing spot.
    Not that I know this place by heart by now, or anything...^_^
    With that accomplished, I went back down to the second floor and then proceeded to battle every single Rocket and treacherous employee, going floor by floor. I always shake my head at the people who advocate getting the card key and then going straight to the Rival Battle and then Giovanni; honestly, how do you expect to earn any good EXP and cash that way? Trainer battles are where it's at!
    After beating everybody on floors 2 through 11, I went back to the third floor, rode the warp to the seventh and took on Andy (every time I try to think about what your rival is doing in this place, I get a headache...) I ignored the guy who gives you Lapras because I don't have a slot free to accept the pokémon. I defeated Giovanni handily, recieved the Master Ball, and then went to the Saffron Pokémart to sell all of the expensive goodies I had found in the Silph building. I was surprised at how much good stuff was in there. I ended up earning enough cash to be able to buy Cerberus a TM! Yay! I decided to buy Ice Beam before Thunderbolt because I don't have an Ice-type move yet.
    I stopped by the Fighting Dojo for some quick battles, but didn't battle the leader because that would just lead to me being offered another pokémon. Then I took on Saffron Gym. Chimera's Shadow Ball and Cerberus' Bite cleared the way. Most of the Gym Trainers had pokémon at roughly the same level, or even below, the Gym Trainers in Fucshia...right up until the level-38 Haunter. That one caught me by surprise, but Shadow Ball mowed it down as easily as everyone else. Then I faced Sabrina, and she proved not all that tougher. Her Alakazam turned out to be faster than Chimera and got a hit in with Psychic that left Chimera badly hurting, but Chimera's answering Shadow Ball KOed it.

Team:
    Chimera L52

Hydra L52
    Strength, Dig, Acid, Glare

Cerberus L52
    Bite, Ice Beam, Shock Wave, Double Kick

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, Fly, —, —

HMer 2 L10
    Dig, Growl, Flash, Cut

HMer 3 L7

Next: Surf's Up!

Advanced Trainer

I stopped off in Celadon, sold some TMs I'm never going to use and bought more Game Corner Coins toward Thunderbolt. Then, since earning money is currently my major training focus, I decided to go to Route 10 and raid the Abandoned Power Plant for saleable goodies. I ended up using all of my Parlyz Heals and a couple Cheri Berries from the frequent battles with Voltorb and Pikachu. Then, at the end, I debated the issue with myself, finally decided Surewhynot, and battled Zapdos.
    Finally, an opponent within five levels of me...Zapdos went first, and used Agility to make sure it stayed that way. Cerberus used Ice Beam and took off half Zapdos' health. Then Zapdos used Drill Peck, taking Cerberus from almost full health to half, and Cerberus used Ice Beam again, leaving Zapdos with somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 HP. Another Drill Peck from Zapdos put Cerberus in the red, but it triggered Poison Point and poisoned Zapdos. Not content to wait for a passive victory, Cerberus struck with Shock Wave and defeated Zapdos. Then I hustled out of the building to sell my findings. I got quite the large sum of cash from the Thunder TM I had found.
    Looking for places to earn money from Surf, I next went to Cerulean City and battled the trainer on Route 4 that can only be reached by Surfing from Route 24. Then I went to Route 12, grabbed the Skill Swap TM from the island and sold it. Then, my ideas for get-rich-quick schemes exhausted, I Surfed south from Fucshia to battle some more trainers.
    I fought my way down Route 19 and 20 to Seafoam Island (I get so sick of the people in this game who talk about it like it's two islands. "I see a couple of islands over there" "Seafoam Islands used to be one island in the distant past" Reality check! They still are! There's a very clear strip of beach connecting the two mounds! One! Island!) Anyway, I decided to go ahead and explore the place. I found a Nugget down there and HMer 2 found a PP Up, so it was a pretty good trip.
    Beating Zapdos was fun, so while I was here I also took on Articuno. I led with Chimera, who proved to be faster than Articuno and got in a Flamethrower, taking Articuno down to 60% HP. My luck ended there when Articuno responded with an Ice Beam, taking Chimera down to 55% HP and freezing it. Next turn I used an Ice Heal, while Articuno used another Ice Beam, bringing Chimera down into the red. Third turn I used a Hyper Potion that brought Chimera back up to full health, and Articuno used...Mist. Glad for the reprieve, I finally went back to Flamethrower, taking Articuno down to 20% HP. Articuno used Agility, and then immediately used Agility again (since it was now faster than Chimera.) Chimera ended its Agility spree with one more Flamethrower.
    After making it out of Seafoam Island, I battled the folks on the western half of Route 20 and then climbed off HMer 3's back onto Cinnabar Island. I healed, sold stuff I'd found in Seafoam, flew to Celadon and bought Game Corner Coins, and then went through Pokémon Mansion. This place had lots of expensive stuff to find, and also a trio of Burglars, who are worth quite a decent chunk of prize money when you beat them. By the time I emerged with the Key to Blaine's Gym, and sold most of what I'd found, I had enough cash to buy enough Coins to get the final Game Corner TM: Thunderbolt. After I bought that and taught it to Cerberus, I also finally got around to using the Double Team TM I'd gotten I-forget-where, replacing Double Kick; the Fighting-type move had come in handy a few times against Magnemite and others, but now that Cerberus had all three of its powerful special attacks I trusted it not to need the fallback.
    After all that was taken care of, I entered Blaine's Gym. I battled all of the trainers, completely ignoring the quiz machines; sure, I could answer their questions easily enough, but how much cash and EXP would it get me? Besides, one of those machines is set wrong. Caterpie doesn't evolve into Butterfree; it evolves into Metapod!
    The Gym Trainers were pretty much cake. I used Hydra against Blaine and fainted his Growlithe and Ponyta with one Dig each. Rapidash survived the first Dig but then missed with its Fire Blast; I finished it off with Strength and then moved on to Arcanine. After Intimidates from both Growlithe and Arcanine, though, Hydra's Dig took off only a third of its life, and then Arcanine connected with Fire Blast and brought Hydra down to half HP. Hydra Dug again, bringing Arcanine down to a third of its health, and then Arcanine scored another Fire Blast that fainted Hydra. I sent in Cerberus and had her shiny new Thunderbolt tell Arcanine exactly what I thought of that. Arcanine hit the floor, and I got the VolcanoBadge from Blaine.

Team:
    Cerberus L56
    Crunch, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Double Team
    (Boltbeam Special Sweeper, yo. D-Team is filler.)

Chimera L57

Hydra L57
    Strength, Dig, Acid, Glare

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, Fly, —, —

HMer 2 L10
    Dig, Growl, Flash, Cut

HMer 3 L7

Next: Tropical Island-Hopping!

Master Trainer

First thing I did in there was race up to the fifth floor and pick up the Card Key, dodging all of the Rockets and treacherous employees. Then I went back down to the third floor, battled a Rocket and an employee who were in the way, rode the warp panel to the ninth floor, and battled one more Rocket, clearing the way to the healing spot.
    Not that I know this place by heart by now, or anything...^_^
    With that accomplished, I went back down to the second floor and then proceeded to battle every single Rocket and treacherous employee, going floor by floor. I always shake my head at the people who advocate getting the card key and then going straight to the Rival Battle and then Giovanni; honestly, how do you expect to earn any good EXP and cash that way? Trainer battles are where it's at!
    I do the exact same thing! Actually, now that I think of it you play the exact same way as I do. Full of structure and set up routines. I always ponder on the same things aswell, over and over again, every time I reach a specific point. Oh the nostalgia...

Advanced Trainer

I stepped out of Cinnabar Gym and spotted Bill the Pokémaniac. He invited me to go with him on his trip to the Sevii Islands. I still had a fainted Hydra from the battle with Blaine, but I knew there would be a Pokémon Center before any island battling, so I hopped on. Bill had a chat with Celio and then sent me on my way to Two Island with a Meteorite for the Game Corner owner. Before I did that, though, I took some time to explore One Island (Seafoam they call two islands, but this group of three or four they call one. Ugh.)
    I visited Treasure Beach, did my fine-toothed comb routine and found two Ultra Balls. Right, because I use so many of those. Then I traveled Kindle Road. After beating several trainers, I stopped in for a visit to Ember Spa, grabbed HM06 and taught Rock Smash to HMer 3. Then I continued north to Mt. Ember. Clever people have already figured out what I'm going there for...
    I ascended, battling all of the trainers and picking up all of the item balls. I reached the top, and took on Moltres, the last of the Legendary Birds. By this time, I was eight levels above it. Perhaps it recognized that because it led with Endure. Cerberus' Thunderbolt brought it down to about 30% HP. Next turn, it used Fire Spin, but this accomplished roughly zilch because another Thunderbolt polished it off before Cerberus took any entrapment damage.
    I made my way back down the mountain and went back to the port, stopping along the way to pick up the item balls you need Rock Smash to reach. Then I boarded Seagallop Hi-Speed 2 for Two Island. After buying a bunch of Fresh Waters from the Kanto shopkeep and selling him some stuff I'd found on Mt. Ember and didn't need, I gazed longingly at the square where you dig up the PP Max, but you can't get it without Itemfinder. Then I stopped by the Game Corner, learned of "Lostelle"'s disappearance (wow, NOA was feeling lazy that day, that or rushed) and met a goon on a bike that I will have the vast honor of thrashing at a later point. Then I boarded Seagallop Hi-Speed 2 again, this time for Three Island.
    Three Island was packed with idiots on bikes. I remember the first time I reached this point in Fire Red...the game's designers did quite a good job of raising my ire against the "Kanto Rider Federation". I was overjoyed when the first biker approached me and asked if I "wanna make something of it". Yes, yes the trainer who just whupped Moltres in two moves does, in fact, wanna make something of it! I wiped the floor with three goons and then kicked their leader Paxton all the way back to Kanto. It was deliciously satisfying.
    After that, I stopped at the Pokémart and grabbed some supplies (I can spend my money however I want now! Yay!) and then headed to Bond Bridge and the Berry Forest. After picking up half a dozen or so Berries, I Shadow Balled the Hypno scaring Lostelle, and delivered both her and the Meteorite to the Game Corner man. Then I stopped by the Kanto shopkeep, bought some Soda Pop and sold items, including a Nugget HMer 2 had found. Then it was back to One Island to congratulate Celio on his network, and finally back to Cinnabar Island in Kanto. Ever the glutton for punishment, I promptly dove into Route 21 and battled trainers all the way back to Pallet Town.
    I hoofed it to Viridian City, defeated all of the Viridian Gym Trainers, and overcame Giovanni for the third and final time. He granted me the TM26, allowing me to complete Hydra's moveset—just in time for my trip to the Pokémon League HQ...

Team:
    Chimera L61

Hydra L61
    Strength, Earthquake, Acid, Glare
    (Physical Sweeper. If I could give him a better Poison attack I would...)

Cerberus L61
    (Boltbeam Special Sweeper, yo. D-Team is filler.)

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, Fly, —, —

HMer 2 L10
    Dig, Growl, Flash, Cut

HMer 3 L7
    Strength, Rock Smash, Bubble, Surf
    (Not doing Post-Elite Islands, so no Waterfall.)

Next: The Road to Victory!

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

Can you get Sludge Bomb for Hydra, or Chimera? Instead of Acid and Sludge.

(my first challenge complete)

TERRY's GROUND CHALLENGE 2006- (Monotype Challenge) TPM RBY
    (my 2nd challenge)

Advanced Trainer

The Sludge Bomb TM is in Team Rocket's Warehouse on Island 5, so no. Not without breeding with a pokémon who learns it naturally, anyway...which is only possible on Island 4. No Sludge Bomb for me.

Master Trainer

Darn gamemakers. Anyway, good luck, you're almost finished.

So I thought I try one myself. Oh and Poryhedron, I'm stealing your pokemon format.

Name: Matt
    Type: Electric
    Reason: I don't know, they just seem cool. In looks definatly.
    Badges: 1
    Progress:

My name. Yeah, at first I thought I'll be named Joel, after Jolt, but I decided against in the end and took my standard name again. I went to Oak, got pokemon, beat rival, got parcel, got pokedex and received pokeballs. I immediatly rushed to Viridian forest to get myself a Pikachu. I didn't challenge any trainer nor did I fight any wild pokemon. After a good time of wandering around, one finally came across me. Nature doesn't bother me, but it is Calm for those of you who are interested.

Then it was training time. I trained him up 'till l.10 and took on my rival back the Pokemonleague HQ. I easily swept him and his pokemon with Thundershock. While returning to Viridian forest I picked up a Spearow for my trade for a Farfetche'd later on. Being back in the forest, I took back on the trainers I left open last time. This and some (hard) training finally got him to l.15, learning Double Team, the key element in beating Brock.

*Brock*
    I entered the gym with my trusty pokemon and swept the Gymtrainer after a long battle. Bloody Sandshrew. Anyway, I healed and faced brock. Brock went easier then his gymtrainer and after depleting all my Quick attacks, Onix finally fell and the badge was mine.
    *End*

I healed again and rushed to Mt. Moon defeating all trainers along the way, earning some good expierence for my pokemon. I got there and meanwhile received the running shoes (HURRAY!) so I was thrilled to beat some trainers. I got in Mt.Moon defeated all trainers on the first stage and caught my first HM'er. I saved then after a trip to the pokemoncenter once more.

Pokemon:

L.21
    Sexpistols | Pikachu [male]
    Thundershock, Thunderwave, Double Team, Slam
    (This is going to be a Raichu with Thunderbolt, Thunderwave, Megapunch and a filler. Probably Double Team.)

[IMG]http://[/img]
    NOT CAUGHT YET
    (This is going to be an Electabuzz with Thunderbolt, Psychic, Brickbreak and Irontail/Return/Something. Mixed sweeper.)

[IMG][/IMG]
    NOT CAUGHT YET
    (This is going to be a Jolteon with Thunderbolt, Thunderwave, Pinmissile, Shadowball)

L.8
    HMer 1 | Paras
    Scratch, Stun Spore, --------, --------
    (This HMer will carry, Flash, Rocksmash, Cut and Dig)

[IMG]http://[/img]
    NOT CAUGHT YET
    (This will be a Farfetche'd with Fly, Cut, various other things)

[IMG][/IMG]
    NOT CAUGHT YET
    (This will be a water pokemon, not decided yet who will ofcourse carry Surf and maybe Strenght. Gyarados maybe.)

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

you know if you can catch a Lanturn or it's preevolution, it might be good for an HMer, but you probably would want him on your team, rather then an HMer? That might cover your ground weakness?

If they don't have those in the game yet, I am a little fuzzy on what you can recieve, maybe Ice Punch for ground types.

(my first challenge complete)

TERRY's GROUND CHALLENGE 2006- (Monotype Challenge) TPM RBY
    (my 2nd challenge)

Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by DaBlackBandit
    you know if you can catch a Lanturn or it's preevolution, it might be good for an HMer, but you probably would want him on your team, rather then an HMer? That might cover your ground weakness?
    Kinda slow on the uptake, aren't you? Remember, this topic is for the FRLG Limited Pure Monotype Challenge. The "Limited Pure" part means no dual-type battlers.

My movesets complete at last, I headed west to Route 22, and quickly ran afoul of Andy. He opened with Pidgeot; expecting that, I opened with Cerberus and used an Ice Beam that took Pidgeot down to one pixel of life. Pidgeot got in a Wing Attack before I finished it with Crunch. Andy switched to Alakazam, while I switched to Chimera. Alakazam went first, but wasted its turn using Calm Mind. In its defense, though, it couldn't have known Chimera would one-hit it with Shadow Ball.
    Andy sent out Growlithe next. I grinned a very wide grin as I switched to Hydra. Growlithe Intimidated Hydra, but Hydra's Earthquake finished it in one hit anyway. Feeling bold, I left Hydra in against Andy's Rhyhorn, but sadly, Earthquake only took off some two thirds of Rhyhorn's life, and Rhyhorn got in a Take Down before Hydra could finish it with another Earthquake.
    Andy sent in Gyarados next, prompting me to switch to Cerberus. Gyarados Intimidated Cerberus, but it had zero effect on the Thunderbolt that followed. Gyarados hit the dirt. Then Andy sent in his last pokémon, Venusaur, and I decided to switch to Chimera. It took two Flamethrowers to finish Andy's starter, between which it used Growth.
    Andy tossed off some garbage about how I needed more practice, and I just laughed and continued on my merry way to the Pokémon League Front Gate. I passed the eight checkpoints and entered Victory Road. It took a bit of work, and a retreat to the Viridian Pokémon Center partway through, but I made it past all of Victory Road's challenges and arrived at Indigo Plateau. I healed, saved, and then tried my luck against the Elite Four.

—ELITE FOUR CHALLENGE—
    Average Party level: 63
    ————————FIGHT!————————

ELITE FOUR LORELEI would like to battle!
    LORELEI sent out DEWGONG!
    Go! CERBERUS!
    CERBERUS used THUNDERBOLT!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DEWGONG seems to be at 45% HP!
    Foe DEWGONG used SURF!
    A critical hit!
    CERBERUS is at 23% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DEWGONG fainted!
    LORELEI sent out CLOYSTER!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CERBERUS is at 100% HP!
    Foe CLOYSTER hid underwater!
    CERBERUS used DOUBLE TEAM!
    CERBERUS' EVASION rose!
    Foe CLOYSTER used DIVE!
    Foe CLOYSTER's attack missed!
    It's super effective!
    Foe CLOYSTER fainted!
    LORELEI sent out SLOWBRO!
    It's super effective!
    Foe SLOWBRO seems to be at 35% HP!
    Foe SLOWBRO used SURF!
    Foe SLOWBRO's attack missed!
    A critical hit! It's super effective!
    Foe SLOWBRO fainted!
    LORELEI sent out LAPRAS!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS seems to be at 55% HP!
    Foe LAPRAS used SURF!
    CERBERUS is at 61% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS seems to be at 10% HP!
    Foe LAPRAS is paralyzed! Maybe it can't attack!
    Foe LAPRAS used ICE BEAM!
    CERBERUS is at 25% HP!
    Foe LAPRAS' SITRUS BERRY restored health!
    Foe LAPRAS seems to be at 15% HP!
    LORELEI used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe LAPRAS is at 100% HP and no longer paralyzed!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS seems to be at 50% HP!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CERBERUS is at 100% HP!
    CERBERUS is at 59% HP!
    CERBERUS is frozen solid!
    MITCH used ASPEAR BERRY!
    CERBERUS was thawed out.
    Foe LAPRAS used SURF!
    Foe LAPRAS' attack missed!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS seems to be at 10% HP!
    CERBERUS is at 19% HP!
    LORELEI used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe LAPRAS is at 100% HP!
    CERBERUS used CRUNCH!
    Foe LAPRAS seems to be at 80% HP!
    Foe LAPRAS' SP. DEF fell!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CERBERUS is at 100% HP!
    Foe LAPRAS used SURF!
    A critical hit!
    CERBERUS is at 14% HP!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CERBERUS is at 100% HP!
    CERBERUS is at 60% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe LAPRAS seems to be at 15% HP!
    Foe LAPRAS used CONFUSE RAY!
    Foe LAPRAS' attack missed!
    CERBERUS used CRUNCH!
    Foe LAPRAS fainted!
    CERBERUS grew to level 64!
    LORELEI sent out JYNX!
    Go! CHIMERA!
    CHIMERA used SHADOW BALL!
    It's super effective!
    Foe JYNX fainted!
    MITCH defeated ELITE FOUR LORELEI!

(I used a Soda Pop on Cerberus.)

ELITE FOUR BRUNO would like to battle!
    BRUNO sent out ONIX!
    Go! CERBERUS! (This POKéMON is at 96% HP)
    CERBERUS used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    Foe ONIX fainted!
    BRUNO sent out ONIX!
    CERBERUS used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    Foe ONIX fainted!
    BRUNO sent out HITMONCHAN!
    Go! CHIMERA!
    CHIMERA used SLUDGE!
    Foe HITMONCHAN seems to be at 45% HP!
    Foe HITMONCHAN was poisoned!
    Foe HITMONCHAN used ROCK TOMB!
    Foe HITMONCHAN's attack missed!
    Foe HITMONCHAN is hurt by poison!
    Foe HITMONCHAN seems to be at 33% HP!
    CHIMERA used SLUDGE!
    Foe HITMONCHAN fainted!
    BRUNO sent out HITMONLEE!
    CHIMERA used SLUDGE!
    Foe HITMONLEE seems to be at 33% HP!
    Foe HITMONLEE was poisoned!
    Foe HITMONLEE used MEGA KICK!
    Foe HITMONLEE's attack missed!
    Foe HITMONLEE is hurt by poison!
    Foe HITMONLEE seems to be at 15% HP!
    BRUNO used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe HITMONLEE is at 100% HP and no longer poisoned!
    CHIMERA used SLUDGE!
    Foe HITMONLEE seems to be at 20% HP!
    BRUNO used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe HITMONLEE is at 100% HP!
    CHIMERA used SLUDGE!
    A critical hit!
    Foe HITMONLEE fainted!
    BRUNO sent out MACHAMP!
    CHIMERA used SLUDGE!
    Foe MACHAMP seems to be at 60% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP used SCARY FACE!
    CHIMERA's SPEED harshly fell!
    Foe MACHAMP used CROSS CHOP!
    It's not very effective...
    CHIMERA is at 84% HP!
    CHIMERA used SLUDGE!
    Foe MACHAMP seems to be at 33% HP!
    Foe MACHAMP's SITRUS BERRY restored health!
    Foe MACHAMP seems to be at 50% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 69% HP!
    CHIMERA used SLUDGE!
    Foe MACHAMP seems to be at 15% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 54% HP!
    CHIMERA used SLUDGE!
    Foe MACHAMP fainted!
    MITCH defeated ELITE FOUR BRUNO!

(I used two Super Potions on Chimera.)

ELITE FOUR AGATHA would like to battle!
    AGATHA sent out GENGAR!
    Go! CHIMERA!
    Foe GENGAR used DOUBLE TEAM!
    Foe GENGAR's EVASION rose!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GENGAR seems to be at 1% HP!
    AGATHA used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe GENGAR is at 100% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GENGAR seems to be at 5% HP!
    Foe GENGAR's SP. DEF fell!
    Foe GENGAR used CONFUSE RAY!
    CHIMERA became confused!
    CHIMERA is confused!
    CHIMERA's attack missed!
    MITCH used YELLOW FLUTE!
    CHIMERA snapped out of its confusion.
    Foe GENGAR used SHADOW PUNCH!
    CHIMERA is at 89% HP!
    Foe GENGAR used SHADOW PUNCH!
    A critical hit!
    CHIMERA is at 63% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GENGAR fainted!
    CHIMERA grew to level 65!
    AGATHA sent out HAUNTER!
    It's super effective!
    Foe HAUNTER fainted!
    AGATHA sent out GENGAR!
    Foe GENGAR used HYPNOSIS!
    Foe GENGAR's attack missed!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GENGAR seems to be at 10% HP!
    Foe GENGAR's SITRUS BERRY restored health!
    Foe GENGAR seems to be at 35% HP!
    Foe GENGAR used SHADOW BALL!
    CHIMERA is at 49% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GENGAR fainted!
    AGATHA sent out GOLBAT!
    Go! CERBERUS! (This POKéMON is at 96% HP)
    Foe GOLBAT used CONFUSE RAY!
    CERBERUS became confused!
    CERBERUS is confused!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GOLBAT seems to be at 15% HP!
    MITCH used YELLOW FLUTE!
    CERBERUS snapped out of its confusion.
    AGATHA used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe GOLBAT is at 100% HP!
    Foe GOLBAT used AIR CUTTER!
    CERBERUS is at 74% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GOLBAT seems to be at 15% HP!
    Foe GOLBAT used AIR CUTTER!
    A critical hit!
    CERBERUS is at 28% HP!
    Foe GOLBAT fainted!
    AGATHA sent out ARBOK!
    Go! HYDRA!
    Foe ARBOK's INTIMIDATE cuts HYDRA's ATTACK!
    HYDRA used EARTHQUAKE!
    It's super effective!
    Foe ARBOK seems to be at 35% HP!
    Foe ARBOK used IRON TAIL!
    HYDRA is at 75% HP!
    HYDRA's DEFENSE fell!
    HYDRA used EARTHQUAKE!
    It's super effective!
    Foe ARBOK fainted!
    MITCH defeated ELITE FOUR AGATHA!

(I used a Super Potion on Hydra, two on Chimera and two Soda Pops on Cerberus. I also used an Ether on Cerberus' Thunderbolt.)

ELITE FOUR LANCE would like to battle!
    LANCE sent out GYARADOS!
    Go! CERBERUS! (This POKéMON is at 98% HP)
    GYARADOS' INTIMIDATE cuts CERBERUS' attack!
    Foe GYARADOS used DRAGON RAGE!
    CERBERUS is at 75% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GYARADOS fainted!
    LANCE sent out AERODACTYL!
    Foe AERODACTYL used WING ATTACK!
    CERBERUS is at 44% HP!
    CERBERUS' POISON POINT poisoned foe AERODACTYL!
    CERBERUS used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    Foe AERODACTYL seems to be at 40% HP!
    Foe AERODACTYL is hurt by poison!
    Foe AERODACTYL seems to be at 25% HP!
    Foe AERODACTYL used HYPER BEAM!
    CERBERUS fainted!
    Go! CHIMERA!
    Foe AERODACTYL seems to be at 10% HP!
    MITCH used MAX REVIVE on CERBERUS!
    CERBERUS is at 100% HP!
    Foe AERODACTYL must recharge!
    Foe AERODACTYL seems to be at 1% HP!
    LANCE used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe AERODACTYL is at 100% HP and no longer poisoned!
    Foe AERODACTYL seems to be at 67% HP!
    Foe AERODACTYL used WING ATTACK!
    CHIMERA is at 85% HP!
    Foe AERODACTYL seems to be at 33% HP!
    Foe AERODACTYL used HYPER BEAM!
    CHIMERA is at 57% HP!
    Foe AERODACTYL fainted!
    LANCE sent out DRAGONITE!
    Go! CERBERUS!
    Foe DRAGONITE used SAFEGUARD!
    Foe DRAGONITE is covered by a veil!
    CERBERUS used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE seems to be at 15% HP!
    Foe DRAGONITE's SITRUS BERRY restored health!
    Foe DRAGONITE seems to be at 35% HP!
    Foe DRAGONITE used HYPER BEAM!
    Foe DRAGONITE's attack missed!
    CERBERUS used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONITE fainted!
    CERBERUS grew to level 65!
    LANCE sent out DRAGONAIR!
    CERBERUS used ICE BEAM!
    Foe DRAGONAIR fainted!
    LANCE sent out DRAGONAIR!
    CERBERUS used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONAIR seems to be at 5% HP!
    Foe DRAGONAIR used THUNDER WAVE!
    CERBERUS is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
    LANCE used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe DRAGONAIR is at 100% HP!
    CERBERUS used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONAIR seems to be at 5% HP!
    Foe party is no longer protected by SAFEGUARD!
    Foe DRAGONAIR used HYPER BEAM!
    CERBERUS is at 63% HP!
    CERBERUS used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    Foe DRAGONAIR fainted!
    MITCH defeated ELITE FOUR LANCE!

(I used a Cheri Berry and a Soda Pop on Cerberus, and another Soda Pop on Chimera.)

At this point, I made an unusual decision. I usually don't save during my first try against the Elite Four, for obvious reasons. This time, though, I seemed to be doing fairly well...and I recalled that Andy had a Pidgeot and an Arcanine on his team. Fearing that Whirlwind or Roar would steal my four victories away from me needlessly, I saved just outside the door into the League Champion's chamber.

CHAMPION ANDY would like to battle!
    ANDY sent out PIDGEOT!
    Go! CERBERUS! (This POKéMON is at 98% HP)
    Foe PIDGEOT used AERIAL ACE!
    CERBERUS is at 73% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe PIDGEOT seems to be at 30% HP!
    ANDY withdrew PIDGEOT!
    Andy sent out RHYDON!
    It doesn't affect foe RHYDON!
    CERBERUS used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    Foe RHYDON seems to be at 15% HP!
    Foe RHYDON used EARTHQUAKE!
    It's super effective!
    CERBERUS fainted!
    Go! CHIMERA! (This POKéMON is at 91% HP)
    ANDY used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe RHYDON is at 100% HP!
    Foe RHYDON seems to be at 80% HP!
    CHIMERA used SMOKESCREEN!
    Foe RHYDON's ACCURACY fell!
    Foe RHYDON used SCARY FACE!
    CHIMERA's SPEED harshly fell!
    Foe RHYDON used TAKE DOWN!
    CHIMERA is at 71% HP!
    Foe RHYDON is hit with recoil!
    Foe RHYDON seems to be at 75% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 48% HP!
    Foe RHYDON seems to be at 70% HP!
    Foe RHYDON's attack missed!
    CHIMERA is at 27% HP!
    Foe RHYDON seems to be at 65% HP!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CHIMERA is at 100% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 80% HP!
    Foe RHYDON seems to be at 60% HP!
    MITCH used REVIVE on CERBERUS!
    CERBERUS is at 50% HP!
    MITCH used SODA POP on CERBERUS!
    CERBERUS is at 85% HP!
    MITCH sent out CERBERUS! (This POKéMON is at 85% HP)
    CERBERUS used ICE BEAM!
    It's super effective!
    Foe RHYDON fainted!
    ANDY sent out ALAKAZAM!
    Go! CHIMERA! (This POKéMON is at 85% HP)
    Foe ALAKAZAM used FUTURE SIGHT!
    Foe ALAKAZAM foresaw an attack!
    It's super effective!
    Foe ALAKAZAM fainted!
    ANDY sent out PIDGEOT! (This POKéMON seems to be at 30% HP)
    Go! CERBERUS! (This POKéMON is at 85% HP)
    Foe PIDGEOT used AERIAL ACE!
    CERBERUS is at 59% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe PIDGEOT fainted!
    ANDY sent out GYARADOS!
    Foe GYARADOS' INTIMIDATE cuts CERBERUS' ATTACK!
    CERBERUS is at 36% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GYARADOS seems to be at 5% HP!
    CERBERUS took the FUTURE SIGHT attack!
    CERBERUS is at 5% HP!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CERBERUS is at 100% HP!
    ANDY used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe GYARADOS is at 100% HP!
    Foe GYARADOS used HYDRO PUMP!
    CERBERUS is at 55% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GYARADOS seems to be at 5% HP!
    ANDY used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe GYARADOS is at 100% HP!
    CERBERUS used CRUNCH!
    A critical hit!
    Foe GYARADOS seems to be at 55% HP!
    Foe GYARADOS' SP. DEF fell!
    CERBERUS is at 32% HP!
    It's super effective!
    Foe GYARADOS fainted!
    ANDY sent out ARCANINE!
    Go! HYDRA!
    Foe ARCANINE's INTIMIDATE cuts HYDRA's ATTACK!
    HYDRA used EARHQUAKE!
    It's super effective!
    Foe ARCANINE seems to be at 60% HP!
    Foe ARCANINE used FLAMETHROWER!
    HYDRA is at 46% HP!
    Go! CHIMERA! (This POKéMON is at 85% HP)
    CHIMERA is at 28% HP!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CHIMERA is at 100% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 44% HP!
    MITCH used SUPER POTION!
    CHIMERA is at 72% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 14% HP!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CHIMERA is at 100% HP!
    Foe ARCANINE used EXTREMESPEED!
    CHIMERA is at 82% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 28% HP!
    Foe ARCANINE's ACCURACY fell!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CHIMERA is at 100% HP!
    Foe ARCANINE's attack missed!
    CHIMERA is at 52% HP!
    Foe ARCANINE's ACCURACY fell!
    MITCH used SUPER POTION!
    CHIMERA is at 79% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 24% HP!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CHIMERA is at 100% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 46% HP!
    CHIMERA was burned!
    CHIMERA's hurt by its burn!
    CHIMERA is at 33% HP!
    MITCH used FULL RESTORE!
    CHIMERA is at 100% HP and no longer burned!
    CHIMERA is at 50% HP!
    MITCH used SUPER POTION!
    CHIMERA is at 78% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 26% HP!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CHIMERA is at 100% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 47% HP!
    MITCH used SUPER POTION!
    CHIMERA is at 74% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 26% HP!
    MITCH used HYPER POTION!
    CHIMERA is at 100% HP!
    CHIMERA is at 47% HP!
    CHIMERA was burned!
    CHIMERA is at 34% HP!
    MITCH used FULL RESTORE!
    CHIMERA is at 44% HP!
    CHIMERA was burned!
    CHIMERA is at 32% HP!
    MITCH used FULL RESTORE!
    Foe ARCANINE used BITE!
    CHIMERA is at 79% HP!
    Foe ARCANINE used BITE!
    Foe ARCANINE's attack missed!
    CHIMERA used SLUDGE!
    Foe ARCANINE seems to be at 25% HP!
    Foe ARCANINE used BITE!
    CHIMERA is at 57% HP!
    CHIMERA used SLUDGE!
    Foe ARCANINE fainted!
    ANDY sent out VENUSAUR!
    Foe VENUSAUR used GROWTH!
    Foe VENUSAUR's SP. ATK rose!
    CHIMERA used FLAMETHROWER!
    It's super effective!
    Foe VENUSAUR seems to be at 45% HP!
    Foe VENUSAUR was burned!
    Foe VENUSAUR's SITRUS BERRY restored health!
    Foe VENUSAUR seems to be at 60% HP!
    Foe VENUSAUR's hurt by its burn!
    Foe VENUSAUR seems to be at 45% HP!
    Foe VENUSAUR used SUNNY DAY!
    The sun got bright!
    CHIMERA used FLAMETHROWER!
    It's super effective!
    Foe VENUSAUR fainted!
    CHIMERA grew to level 66!
    MITCH defeated CHAMPION ANDY!

——CLEAR!——

—FINAL TEAM—
    Cerberus L65
    (Rather hampered by a base Special Attack of 55, but she came through in the end.)

Hydra L63
    Strength, Earthquake, Acid, Glare
    (Base Attack score of 85, yet somehow he seemed to fare worse than Cerberus. Hm.)

Chimera L66
    (Kinda wound up being the star of the show at several points.)

HMer 1 L3
    Tackle, Fly, —, —
    (I'd like to see Levitating Chimera manage once what this little bird just kept on doing! )

HMer 2 L10
    Dig, Growl, Flash, Cut
    (Pickup...I am more indebted to you than you will ever know...)

HMer 3 L7
    Strength, Rock Smash, Bubble, Surf
    (The Tiny Turtle that Could.)

Next: ...good question. I've been thinking about trying every Monotype challenge on TPM at least once each. RBY just might be next.
    Last edited by Poryhedron; 23rd November 2006 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added banner since I can't have them in my sig anymore

Master Trainer

Way to go Pory. Weezing was indeed the star and with good reason. Although Arbok is wa sexier. Nice job.