Quote Originally Posted by MeLoVeGhOsTs
Beating the league was good enough in the old RBY MTC. That means it should be enough for FRLG. No?
Yeah, but that's because beating the league was the end of the plot. There's a whole other plotline going on in the Sevii Islands with Team Rocket's warehouse and Lorelei and whatnot. If you guys don't want to include it, though, I can live with that. Less work for me anyway.
Incidentally, I've decided I'm going to go ahead and restart, and this time I'll just use a code that lets me encounter wild Koffing in Route 1. No glitchiness that way.
Okay, I've restarted, I repeated everything except that I didn't catch Koffing until after I had the Pokédex. I raised Koffing in Viridian Forest for a while; I was expecting to battle Metapod, who could be poisoned and couldn't attack me, but I never met one. I did meet Weedle and Kakuna, which were easy battles anyway because Weedle's only attack was Poison Sting and Kakuna couldn't attack. I even met a Pikachu and had an exciting battle with it.
While doing this, I also searched online for some good nicknames for my team, and I found a set I like. Too late for Koffing...but only as Weezing is it truly suited to its name, so I can wait until Lavender Town for that one.
When Koffing reached level 10 I tried my luck against the rival. His Pidgey went down but put up a rather decent showing, including a Sand-Attack. Then the Bulbasaur came out...and used nothing but straight Tackles. Andy never called for the Leech Seed I'd feared, and the one Sand-Attack from Pidgey didn't cause me trouble. All in all it was quite anticlimactic.

Team:
Koffing L10
Poison Gas, Tackle, Smog, —
(I'm thinking Sludge, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower...filler...)

HMer 1 L3
Tackle, —, —, —
(This'll be my Flyer some day.)

HMer 3 L7
Tackle, Tail Whip, Bubble, —
(HMs 3, 4, 6 and 7 will be this guy's responsibility.)

NOT CAUGHT YET
(Nidorina's going to be my Special Sweeper. Boltbeam, Crunch and a fillerific D-Team.)

NOT CAUGHT YET
(This will eventually be an Arbok with Acid, Earthquake, Strength and Glare.)

NOT CAUGHT YET
(HMer 2 is going to be a Meowth, with HMs 1 and 5, Dig, and Pickup duty as well!)

Next: Pewter Gym: to Squeeze Blood From A Stone! And this time I mean it!