Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official FR/LG Limited Pure Monotype Challenge of 2005

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default The Official FR/LG Limited Pure Monotype Challenge of 2005

Warning Crazy Original

Ok the challenge goes like this. The first 3 pokemon of the same type that you catch are what you use during the ENTIRE game with the exception of HM slaves. Dual types are NOT allowed and you may ONLY use pure types. Having only 3 pokemon of the same type to battle with makes it slightly more challenging,and should provide enough difficulty to keep the challenge interesting. If you choose a starter not of your type then you can only use it until you find wha you are looking for,afterwards you must get rid of it.You can only trade with other FR/LG games. Let the challenge begin,and I will join in later. Note:If you can't find 3 pokemon with a solid type of your choosing,then simply use what you can find.Also if you can't find a pure type before long in the game,you are allowed to shark one as long as it an original pokemon. If you have any other questions simply ask.

Again if you didn't bother to read that paragraph here is a simple set of rules.

1-You may only use a single type of pokemon.

2-The max on a team is 3 pokemon only.

3-You must only use PURE pokemon I can't stress this enough.I don't care if there is a lack use what you find.

4-Post any progress you've made.

5-You get a bonus for completing the game with a bug team,the bonus is posted in my third post.It involves points that HUMILIATE me. The first person who beats the game with a bug team gets it.

6-Any TM that can be used on your pokemon is fine.

7-HM Slaves are allowed,but mustn't be used in battle.

8-You may only trade with other FR/LG Copies

9-If your type can't be found soon you are allowed to shark a pokemon at Lvl.5 and its lowest Evo.

So that's pretty much it.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

"Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. Ah, but I repeat myself."

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Default Re: The Unofficial FR/LG Limited Pure Monotype Challenge of 2005

Well I think this is a good idea, but not well planned. Think about it, how many pure type pokemon can u get at the beginning? There's rattata, the nidorans, mankey, caterpie and pikachu. Therefore u haven't got much of a choice. Also, some pokemon, when they evolve, get a type addition, therefore u can use the nidrans up to their stage 2, as well as caterpie. There aren't many fighting types, the fire pokemon are way forward in the game. It;s impossible to chose ghost type and flying for that matter. I think u should check on some of the rules.
    Electric Pokémon Rule

B&W First Clear Team:

B&W Autum Friendly Tournament Team:

The First Latino team (GSC):

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

It isn't suppose to be about choice. It's about how tough it is. I know that there is a lack of Pure types in FR/LG,but that's what makes it challenging. I said that if you can't find any early in the game you may hack one as long as it is an original pokemon. The max is three because I already know the lack of pure types. Like I said if you can't even find three pure types,use what you can. For instance a pure fire team on this challenge would always be Magmar,Rapidash,and Arcanine. They are the only pure fire types in these games. For grass it would be Bellsprout(and its evo) and Tangela. Both underused.That's what makes it so tough. I have indeed thought it out to maximum difficulty.See what I mean? I do know that some types are excluded,but it really isn't a big deal. This is meant to be a pure monotype challenge and nothing else. That's what makes it unique and difficult.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

"Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. Ah, but I repeat myself."

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Ok, ok, I won't be taking part, as I have nowhere to put my level 100 pokemon, but I think this challenge will work just fine. I just had to make that clear
    Electric Pokémon Rule

B&W First Clear Team:

B&W Autum Friendly Tournament Team:

The First Latino team (GSC):

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Oh and anyone who completes this challenge with a bug type team wins 50 "CRAZY WILL KISS YOUR ASS POINTS" which you can trade in and make me suck up to you for an entire day. Just thought that would encourage people to do maximum difficulty.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Moderator Moderator

Crazy: Would you like this thread to be stickied?

And also, what would you like done with your 2004 monotype challenge thread? Are you planning on running that also, or were you going to just focus on this one? If you are done with last years, I can unsticky it/close it/leave it alone/do whatever you want with it. ^_^ Just let me know, you can tell me in this topic, or you can just PM me.
    Best Ruby/Sapphire Moderator!!
    TPM Awards 2004, 2005, 2006

Winner of 2007 Unown Award N & 2008 Unown Award C!!

Chicoslavocia's Revenge is my best bud on TPM!!
    Visit her Oekaki Board!!

14 Years at TPM: 11/06/2000-11/06/2014

~Forum Achievements~
    Junior Trainer (250 Posts): 11/25/2000
    Cool Trainer (500 Posts): 12/18/2000
    Advanced Trainer (1000 Posts): 02/20/2001
    TPM's 161st Elite Trainer!! 2500 Posts: 11/22/2003
    TPM's 58th Master Trainer!! 5000 Posts: 09/30/2008
    Gold/Silver/Crystal Help Moderator: 02/17/2001-05/15/2001
    Advanced Generation Moderator: 06/21/2004-04/02/2006, 04/04/2006
    Currently 48th Place: Most Posts @ TPM!!

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Yes, I would appreciate it if you stickied this. I think people are still doing last year's Monotype challenge so I suppose it should stay. I'll run them both.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Moderator Moderator

Okies, very well, this shall be stickied!! ^_^
    Best Ruby/Sapphire Moderator!!
    TPM Awards 2004, 2005, 2006

Winner of 2007 Unown Award N & 2008 Unown Award C!!

Chicoslavocia's Revenge is my best bud on TPM!!
    Visit her Oekaki Board!!

14 Years at TPM: 11/06/2000-11/06/2014

~Forum Achievements~
    Junior Trainer (250 Posts): 11/25/2000
    Cool Trainer (500 Posts): 12/18/2000
    Advanced Trainer (1000 Posts): 02/20/2001
    TPM's 161st Elite Trainer!! 2500 Posts: 11/22/2003
    TPM's 58th Master Trainer!! 5000 Posts: 09/30/2008
    Gold/Silver/Crystal Help Moderator: 02/17/2001-05/15/2001
    Advanced Generation Moderator: 06/21/2004-04/02/2006, 04/04/2006
    Currently 48th Place: Most Posts @ TPM!!

Ultimate Virtual Pokémon Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Re: The Official FR/LG Limited Pure Monotype Challenge of 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy
    For instance a pure fire team on this challenge would always be Magmar,Rapidash,and Arcanine. They are the only pure fire types in these games. For grass it would be Bellsprout(and its evo) and Tangela. Both underused.
    But not both Pure-type. Bellsprout is GRS/PSN. Tangela is the only Pure-type Grass in FR/LG until you can access the Islands for Sunkern.
    Question: How different must the three pokémon be? If someone takes Bug, can their team be Metapod and two Pinsir? Can it be Caterpie, Metapod and Pinsir? Or must it be Metapod, Pinsir and something non-Pure Bug?

Poryhedron's Monotype Challenges
    Winner of the 2007 Pokéhelper Unown Award! Glad I could be of help!
    Pokémon GO: Level 37, Team Mystic

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

You can get Sunkern on the Islands? :O I didn't know!

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Hmmmm. Hey as long as it's pure bug you may use it. So yes your team can consist of any pure bug there is as long as it doesn't exceed three. I suppose that due to the severe lack of pure types that you may have a maximum of 2 of the same species. Which kind of sucks for grass,because that means 2 Tangela's are all you can have.87 views and not one person has joined.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Banned

hmmm.... i would seriously do this...except because u can only use one type of pures...it is kind of a drag.

Cunning Linguist Junior Trainer
    Junior Trainer

Hey, I'm actually really thinking about joining.

When I first read the topic, I thought, "This is kind of silly..." since as it's already been explained, there's a huge lack of pures. I think I might do it with Normal, though.

This is because it'd be too "easy" with Water. It actually sounds like fun. And normal types are pretty versatile. I already see Clefable and Snorlax in my future! Ooh, Brock is going to be fun...

I'll start in the beginning of September. That's when I get back from Indonesia, so I can use the remainder of my move tutors, have all the legendaries caught by then, and trade over all my Pokemon that matter.

This does sound like fun Count me in.

Although the school year is going to be rather intense next year, and I think I'll be the busiest I'll have ever been in my life, I'm seriously going to give this a shot.

Bye for now
    Working ;D

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

ok...maybe i'm slow but I can't actually think of any pure BUG pokemon alone

can I use pokemon from other version? like if I trade for a wurmple ?

um...yeah slow...I wanna try but I think maybe the easiest type to choose would be water

'cuz you can start with squirtle...and there's tons of just plain water pokemon

tell me the bug type ones and I'll try it...i'm insane
    PKMN Soul Silver FC: 2880-4807-4245

Advanced Trainer

Caterpie is Pure-type Bug. So is Metapod. You can't evolve it past Metapod, though, because Butterfree's Flying.
    The only other Pure-type Bug in RBY was Pinsir. GSC added Pineco, but it's not in FRLG, and neither are the Pure Bug-types introduced in RS.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhedron
    Caterpie is Pure-type Bug. So is Metapod. You can't evolve it past Metapod, though, because Butterfree's Flying.
    The only other Pure-type Bug in RBY was Pinsir. GSC added Pineco, but it's not in FRLG, and neither are the Pure Bug-types introduced in RS.
    Exactly,this challenge is meant to be ridiculous.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

um...yeah ok I'll try your challenge but NOT with bug types

I'm gonna do it with water type since I can start with sqirtle and well seeing as I don't have a gameshark 'cuz they're for
    cheap people...who don't seem to understand the purpose of the game.

I'll start it tomorrow, I'll post my progress every evening before I sleep. assuming of course I play that day.
    PKMN Soul Silver FC: 2880-4807-4245

Junior Trainer

Hmm. So, I get home on September 1st, and that's when I'll save my Pokemon and begin the challenge with normal types.

I have a question, though. It's not too unreasonable, I don't think.

Since there are no pure Flying types, and Flying/Normal is as close as you can get, could Flying/Normal count as a monotype? I know that Flying/Normal isn't a monotype, technically, but I think it seems fair for people who want to use bird Pokemon.

Just a question
    Working ;D

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Crufidal
    Hmm. So, I get home on September 1st, and that's when I'll save my Pokemon and begin the challenge with normal types.

I have a question, though. It's not too unreasonable, I don't think.

Since there are no pure Flying types, and Flying/Normal is as close as you can get, could Flying/Normal count as a monotype? I know that Flying/Normal isn't a monotype, technically, but I think it seems fair for people who want to use bird Pokemon.

Just a question
    Arg! I love being a jackass. No you may not use ANY dual types. I'm sorry,but that completely contradicts the challenge and makes it similar to others.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Junior Trainer

Okay. I thought it was a reasonable request. It's okay though, because I don't plan to use flying types anyway.

And I guess, since I have to use the first 3 normal types I get through the whole game, that I should just get 1 Ratatta until I can get 2 other things.

So, could you be more specific on rules with HM slaves? Even if they aren't meant to battle, say someone's team was knocked out - most people would send out their HM slave(s) and revive their teammates. Are there specific rules about this? I, and a friend of mine, would like to know - we both plan to do it.
    Working ;D

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Crufidal
    Okay. I thought it was a reasonable request. It's okay though, because I don't plan to use flying types anyway.

And I guess, since I have to use the first 3 normal types I get through the whole game, that I should just get 1 Ratatta until I can get 2 other things.

So, could you be more specific on rules with HM slaves? Even if they aren't meant to battle, say someone's team was knocked out - most people would send out their HM slave(s) and revive their teammates. Are there specific rules about this? I, and a friend of mine, would like to know - we both plan to do it.
    Hmm...You know what,to increase the difficulty even further you may not revive teammates through HM slaves.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Beginning Trainer
    Beginning Trainer

I'm interested in this, but I have some queries:

1) No HM-Slave revive: I don't mind it, but what are you supposed to do if all 3 monotypes die? You can't "run" in a trainer battle. You just have to restart the game then? Have to save a lot I'd guess =P
    2) How late is "late"? My favorite poké is Cubone and I like Sandshrew line too, so I'm planning on going pure Ground. Earliest pure ground is route 4 for Sandshrew. That's after one badge, so imo that'd be late. Can I shark a Cubone in route 1 and store my starter away? If not, do I have to go through Brock using only my starter (no pure-ground pokes before Brock)?
    3) Are there any limits (Level limits, have to max stats, etc.)? If so, count me out.
    4) Can we play on an emulator or do you have a must-use-gba rule?

All in all sounds really fun, can't wait till Erika to whip me =P

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterOfTheLake
    I'm interested in this, but I have some queries:

1) No HM-Slave revive: I don't mind it, but what are you supposed to do if all 3 monotypes die? You can't "run" in a trainer battle. You just have to restart the game then? Have to save a lot I'd guess =P
    2) How late is "late"? My favorite poké is Cubone and I like Sandshrew line too, so I'm planning on going pure Ground. Earliest pure ground is route 4 for Sandshrew. That's after one badge, so imo that'd be late. Can I shark a Cubone in route 1 and store my starter away? If not, do I have to go through Brock using only my starter (no pure-ground pokes before Brock)?
    3) Are there any limits (Level limits, have to max stats, etc.)? If so, count me out.
    4) Can we play on an emulator or do you have a must-use-gba rule?

All in all sounds really fun, can't wait till Erika to whip me =P
    1)Save a lot

2)You may shark your cubone,it does take a while to get it.

3)No level limits,no required stats,items,etc..

4)Yes you may play on an emulator.

Good luck.

NOTE:I forgot to address something really important. Your HM slave does NOT count as part of your 3 pokemon team. I know that you may need one or mor HM slaves so I had to say this.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Junior Trainer

Hey everyone. I started my challenge yesterday.

I figure I won't keep bothering people by continually posting what I'm up to. I started yesterday as a girl named Nina, and I've caught a Rattata. It will be one of the three guiding me through the game.

Perhaps when I'm half done I'll post, or just post to see where everyone's at. I hope I'm not alone in this!

Come on, people ought to give it a shot :p

EDIT:

I beat Brock yesterday. I used a level 10 Rattata, and a level 14 Rattata.

I'm not playing EXACTLY to your rules: the part where you say we must use the first 3 we catch throughout the whole game. I'll just get rid of the secondary Rattata when it's time for a new Pokemon. Sorry if this is a huge breach on the rules and I'll understand if you want me to leave the topic and/or be disqualified.

Current Party:
    Jocaste, Clefairy, lv 32
    Creon, Raticate, lv 29
    Backup, Rattata, lv11

Also, it's time for the Rock Tunnel. I need data on 20 species to get flash and get through. Am I allowed to catch Pokemon to get HM05? Or am I supposed to fumble through?
    Working ;D

Advanced Trainer

You don't need 20 species. You only need ten. Prof. Oak's aide at the Rock Tunnel wants you to have 20 species before he gives you the Everstone. When you have ten species, you can get Flash from the Aide on Route 2.

You
    need:To
    get:From the
    Aide in:1Running ShoesRoute 310FlashRoute 220EverstoneRoute 1030ItemfinderRoute 1140Amulet CoinRoute 1650Exp. ShareRoute 1560National DexProf. Oak himself

Junior Trainer

Still didn't really answer my question though... sorry I had the wrong number of Pokemon. Well, I could have gotten...

Rattata
    Raticate
    Jigglypuff
    Wigglytuff
    Clefairy
    Clefable
    Meowth
    Persian

... before the Rock Tunnel, if I'm only allowed normal types. Am I missing some? Anyways, that would require 2 moon stones, also.

But I already fought my way through the Rock Tunnel.

Right now I just beat the Rocket Game Corner, and I am trying to choose a good third Pokemon for my team. I've now got Clefable lv41 and Raticate lv38. Porygon is 6,500 coins, which is way more than I have (only 4,000 coins at this point, tops). Debating which one to go with. Hm. I don't want to wait for Snorlax, either...

So yeah, there's my update. My friend joined me with fire types today ^_^ I'll keep you guys posted on his slow, dedicated process as well. Other than that, I guess I'm sort of a loner in this challenge..?
    Working ;D

Advanced Trainer

Well, that's eight right there, and you can have two Moon Stones by the time you first reach Cerulean City. As for the others, you forgot that, regardless of what type you're using, you must start the game with Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle, so even if you only use it once to catch a Rattata, you have its dex data. That's nine. As for the tenth...HMers don't have to fit the theme, so catch a Spearow and trade it for Ch'ding the Farfetch'd in Vermilion. Farfetch'd can learn both Cut and Fly, and since you needed a Spearow to have it, that bumps the total to 11! Now you only have to evolve three out of Rattata, Jigglypuff, Clefairy and Meowth!

Junior Trainer

Mm.

Well, I ditched my Rattata the HM slave for a level 8 Krabby, named Eh, who will be my slave. I make a point that this Pokemon never participates in a battle, and revive or heal-shuffling is a big no-no. I am in Seafoam right now, and here's my party.

Oedipus the lv44 Snorlax
    Jocaste the lv44 Clefable
    Creon the lv40 Raticate

I must say, Koga wasn't exactly easy. He almost wiped me out. I don't think I'll have too much trouble with Blane.

I think this pure-monotype challenge is totally awesome. I am having a great time doing it. Thanks so much, Crazy, for thinking it up. This is probably one of my most fun Pokemon experiences ever, other than playing through a new game for the first time It's very rewarding.

It's really fun to strategize and assign different roles to Pokemon. Oedipus is my powerhouse, Jocaste uses Light Screen, Moonlight, Encore, and Water Pulse. I bet you know how that is xD I love Encore. As for Creon, Raticate is pretty much useless, but he's fast and has Super Fang. Pretty neat!

Yay!

Too bad I'm still a loner
    Working ;D

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Well thanks, nice to see that someone is enjoying this. Come on people, surely someone else wants to give this a try?
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Junior Trainer

Now, here's an update:

Name: Nina
    Money: 52316
    Dex: 9
    Time: 10:51
    Badges: 8

Pokemon

Oedipus, Snorlax lv55
    Body Slam
    Brick Break
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

Jocaste, Clefable lv52
    Water Pulse
    Moonlight
    Light Screen
    Encore

Creon, Raticate lv43
    Hyper Fang
    Dig
    Tail Whip
    Super Fang

Now I'm stuck at the Elites. They're going to be so impossible. Loreli is Brick Broken to death easily, but Bruno totally owns me. Raticate is way too weak so I just stopped training it.

I bought a Porygon and I bought Ice Beam, but.. at level 18, it's too much of a pain to train, and I would want to effort point it and make it a good Porygon2... so it looks like I'll be using this.

I'm kind of in a cramp, kind of totally stuck, so... I guess I'll just train for a while x) I don't know where to get good experience though. Oh well.
    Working ;D

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Hmm sounds interesting. And crazy... hence your name. But anyhoo bug pokemon wise there isn't much that spring off the top of my head that are pure bug and all. Except for pincer but I don't have leaf, i have fire. But I'm not starting a new game on that so I may as well brush the dust off the vba lol. Anyhoo apart from pincer what ones could actually harm the ghosts in the elite 4. And am i enticed to go through the game with just caterpie?
    Pokemon Pearl FC: 3479 9091 3139

My font color trolls... Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Uh, is this challenge still open? I think I'll go though on Electric. I started ealier this morning and played a few minutes, playing Green.

Log:
    -started with Squirtle on a female trainer named Tset (test backwards, I'm so original)
    -Caught Pikachu Level 3
    -Trained Pikachu to Level 7

Team:
    Pikachu, Female, 7
    Thundershock, a few other attack I don't recall atm and might not use. Growl and Tail Whip maybe?
    What do you think of people who call themselves airheads?

Adopted Pokemon . ASB

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/particip...novels/ravenic

I think im going to do this too but im not sure what to go with.

It will definitely be one of the starter types, Id like to go with Fire but theyre pretty rare, Grass is very common but may turn out too easy and Water.....well, water are too common and pretty boring.

Afterworld ~ Chapter 2 | Blood Bowl ~ Chapter 3
    If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

Banned

I'd like to enter with Fighting types since you can get Mankey early on in the game and there's exactly three Fighting types you can use (Mankey, Machop, Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan). I'll have plenty of time to play with going on vacation and all. I know I'm going with Hitmonchan considering it can learn different elemental attacks.

Advanced Trainer

I've been thinking about joining this challenge once I complete the GSC Monotype Challenge I'm on. Not sure what type I'll use, though...I'll think about it.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Wow, I'm both shocked and happy to see this is still going on. To Poryhedron, may I suggest a poison team?
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Advanced Trainer

Freakishly, that's exactly what I've decided on already. I'm going to start with two Nidoran, one of each gender, and probably use Ekans for my third slot just because I don't want to wait for over half the game to get Koffing or Grimer.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Lol, you know that you're allowed to hack if you can't get a desired pure type within reason. So if you can or want to, just use a gameshark to get a Koffing or something.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

Advanced Trainer

Hmm...I assumed that meant "If you can't get ANY Pure-type within reason". Like, you could Shark a Tangela, but Bison Woes couldn't Shark his Hitmonchan because Mankey is right there. All right.../reviews choices again/ I might actually dump Nidorino and go with Nidorina, Arbok, Weezing, and Shark the Koffing.

Hmm...if you can just start the game with Pinsir, the difficulty of the infamous Bug Run just went down a notch or three.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Well to keep the insanity of the bug contest up, you are not allowed to hack on it. HAH! Still impossible.
    Random Mark Twain Saying