Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ASB Rules

Hybrid View

Misanthropic Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Arrow ASB Rules

ASB Rules Tower

It's been mentioned a few times that there is no Rules tower, so after a bit of searching on Google, for archives of the old forums, I've managed to find a copy of the old Rules Tower (from TPM's EzBoard era). I've taken the liberty of clearing it up a bit and updating it with new things, but here it is for everyone's viewing pleasure. If anyone spots mistakes, or things that need to be added, please raise them in this topic, or PM me.

Section 1: Starting Out

• Choose 4 pokémon as your beginning team. You are allowed 2 non-evolving pokémon, but all others must be the lowest evolutionary level. Your starting team can include any pokémon, with exceptions listed in the Approval Tower.
    • You cannot begin ASB until your team is approved. Nicknames are optional, as is having your pokémon a particular color or choosing a shiny pokémon.
    • Abilities are currently in use, but are OPTIONAL.
    • Signature Moves are NOT in use.
    • Move tutor moves are in use, but are OPTIONAL.
    • Mega Evolutions are in use, but are OPTIONAL.
    • Beginning Trainers start with no points.
    • For more information regarding Team Approval, check the Team Approval Tower.

Section 2: Battling

• In order to start battling you will need an opponent and ref. These are asked for in the topic of a battle you wish to start. For example: RaZoR LeAf vs Someone (Ref: Someone)
      • The Rules you need in order to start a battle are as follows:
        • Number of pokémon to be used.
        • Who sends first.
        • Who attacks first.
        • DQ Time (default 1 week).
        • Arena.

• Items cannot be used in battle.
        • Mega Stones are the exception to this rule, but only once per battle.

• Additional rules may be added, such as battle duration, or disallowed moves.
      • You may not choose prizes, they are preset.
      • Both players must agree before mid-battle rule changes are made.
      • Each round consists of three attacks from each battler.
      • After each round, whoever commanded first, now commands second. With each passing round, the commanding order reverses.
      • Battles end when a Winner is announced, an opponent passes the DQ time, or forfeits.

• You are limited to taking part in 4 Battles at any time.
    • If you are going to be away for any length of time, post in the ASB Absence Tower, so people know you are unable to post
    • NYPC moves are the only moves that are illegal to be used for any Pokemon.
    • Rotom -- being the first Pokemon to have more than one initial forme that is not a Legendary-comes with one rule. If you are choosing to use a differed forme of Rotom for a battle, it must be stated beforehand what form you are using, and it will need to stay that way until either Rotom faints or is recalled, or the battle concludes.
    • The Illusion Ability -- if you are using Zoroa or Zoroark in a battle and wish to take advantage of their unique ability, you must first PM the referee to let them know.
    • Move Tutors -- If you have defeated a Gym Leader or a member of the Elite 4, one of the pokémon that played part in that battle can learn a special attack that is not normally learnable. A list of these special moves can be learned at the Tower of the Ascended.

• Mega Evolutions -- If you have a Mega Ring and the pokémon's Mega Stone, you may Mega Evolve that pokémon at any time during the battle. Mega Evolving takes one action, and cannot be undid until the battle is over.
      • Mega Evolutions typically have different abilities and types than their regular counterparts. Keep that in mind when reffing battles.
      • You can only Mega Evolve one pokémon per battle, even if you have multiple pokémon capable of Mega Evolution.

Section 3: Etiquette

• Common courtesy should be used at all times.
    • Do not pester other battlers or referees to post in a topic.
    • If there is a disagreement over any aspect of the battle, a Mod should be consulted and asked to pass judgement.
    • Basic forum rules apply, with regards to Spamming and such.

Section 4: Winning System

Completed Battles:

- 1 on 1: Winner and Ref (2 pts.); Loser (1 pt.)
    - 2 on 2: Winner and Ref (4 pts.); Loser (2 pts.)
    - 3 on 3: Winner and Ref (6 pts.); Loser (3 pts.)
    - 4 on 4: Winner and Ref (8 pts.); Loser (4 pts.)
    - 5 on 5: Winner and Ref (10 pts.); Loser (5 pts.)
    - 6 on 6: Winner and Ref (12 pts.); Loser (6 pts.)

Ties

- 1 on 1: Ref (2 pts.); Tie (1 pt.)
    - 2 on 2: Ref (4 pts.); Tie (3 pts.)
    - 3 on 3: Ref (6 pts.); Tie (4 pts.)
    - 4 on 4: Ref (8 pts.); Tie (5 pts.)
    - 5 on 5: Ref (10 pts.); Tie (6 pts.)
    - 6 on 6: Ref (12 pts.); Tie (7 pts.)

DQs and Forfeits:

In order for someone to win a battle by a forfeit or DQ, at least one Pokemon has to be at least at 55% or below for the winner to get a point. If not, then no one wins anything. For a DQ, the winner is defined as the person who wants the DQ, whether they are winning or losing the battle. For a Forfeit, the person forfeiting the battle is the one who gets the loser's share of the earnings.

- 1 on 1: Winner and Ref (2 pt.); Loser (1)

From a 2 on 2 onwards, the double amount of Pokemon that have been used will determine who gets what (ex: 3 on 3 and only on first Pokemon, winner and ref gets 2 and loser gets 1 point . If 2 Pokemon were used (and the second has to be at 55% or below), then the winner and ref gets 4 points and the loser gets 2. 3rd Pokemon has to be at the mark to deem it a completed battle).

Tag Teams:

For a Tag Team where it is Two trainers:
    2 per team: Winner 4 pts; Loser 2 pts, Ref 4 x 1.5 = 6 pts.
    3 per team: Winner 6 pts; Loser 3 pts; Ref 6 x 1.5 = 9 pts.
    4 per team: Winner 8 pts; Loser 4 pts; Ref 8 x 1.5 = 12 pts.
    5 per team: Winner 10 pts; Loser 5 pts; Ref 10 x 1.5 = 15 pts.
    6 per team: Winner 12 pts; Loser 6 pts; Ref 12 x 1.5 = 18 pts.

For 4 trainers, split the earnings in half for winners and losers.

Melees:

1 on 1 on 1: Winner and Ref (3pt); Runner Up (2pt) Loser (1pt)

Anything larger, multiply the amount of participants by the number of Pokemon in the match. So if you have a 3 man melee and they each decide to use 3 Pokemon (non tag team), then the winner would get 9 points, middleman 6 and loser 3.

Refs:

Referees receive points based on how much of the battle they have reffed. For detailed instructions, please refer to the Reffing Tower. Also, the approved refs also have a reward, which can also be viewed in the Reffing Tower.

Section 5: Contests

In ASB Contests, Competitors choose one Pokemon and with that Pokemon they must perform an appeal - this is a display of the Pokemon's power by combining up to three attacks.

This could include, for example, A psychic/flamethrower combo, in which the fire was manipulated into a specific shape; a vortex, or a symbol - the creativity is what earns you more points. Other examples may be a whirlwind/bullet seed/swift combo, in which the user fires seeds into a swirling wind, then firing stars in, too, to create an impressive display. These are just examples.

You can use a maximum of 3 attacks, and they can be combined, like in the examples above, or just used separately, like Flamethrower - Shadow Ball - Iron Tail. This may not earn as many points, however.

After every competitor has posted their appeals, the Referee/Judge will post the combos the Pokemon uses, and their score, out of 10.00. In this contest there are 8 competitors in the first stage. The 4 with the highest scores go onto the next stage, which is a repeat of the first. In the second stage, it is advised to use a different combo to get more points. Repeating the same one will lose points for a lack of originality.

After the next post is up from the judge, the 2 with the highest scores in that round then go against each other in a 1-1. They have to see how much damage they can inflict in 5 Rounds. The contest ends after 5 rounds, and the Pokemon with the most HP at the end wins.

This is to make it more like the anime (in which you have 5 minutes to inflict as much damage as possible) and to make it a bit quicker.

The winner will receive a custom ribbon for their sig, or website, and their name will be placed up in the ASB Contest Hall of Fame. In addition they will also receive 4 points. The Judge/Ref for that contest will also receive a 4 point prize. If the contest is extended (ie: 16 challengers to begin with) then the overall prize will change but this will be a rare (if not never-occurring) alternative.

Section 6: Important Links

Anime Style Battling
    Last edited by Greyfox; 7th November 2014 at 12:53 PM.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: ASB Rules Tower

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf
    [*]You can use any pokemon, with these exceptions: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Entei, Suicune, Raikou, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys. Any 4th generation pokemon that are known. Any variant or form of Missingno.
    Kyogre, Groudon, Latios and Latias would be fun additions to my team =P

[COLOR=silver][B]Guardian Lune

[COLOR=gold]
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

Master Trainer

Gah, knew I forgot some legendaries. There's just too damn many..

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

See when I said "Yea, looks Great!!!!! [/enthusiasm]" when you showed me it was because I was so tired. Seriously, I thought they were all there....and we have the D/P generation lined up, choc ful lof legendaries. Yay.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Hehe, good job getting the rules up, though. IMO the legal pokémon statement should still go into the ASB Team Approval Tower as well. That's the place that it matters, anyway; can't catch/hatch/start with a legendary unless you go through approval first.

[COLOR=silver][B]Guardian Lune

[COLOR=gold]
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

I have a question...

I had an account, had these pokemon from this post:
    http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/in...3961#msg573961
    Lucky Chansey-F Feizhi Kangaskahn-F Poltergeist Ghastly-M Outkast Abra-M
    And had used my one point to catch :
    http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/in...6660#msg586660
    Charmander(shiny)(M)
    Nick- Dracor
    I posted an away message here:
    http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/in...0145#msg590145

I just moved to Florida, life has been so hectic, do I have to start over again, I had started this team march 29th 2005?
    [SIZE=4]
    ~The Real Crystal Articuno~
    Looking for AC/CC battles, PM me...
    My Adopties
    AvengerPokes
    ASB Team

Thanks Saffire Persian for the rad banner!!

I left for a prolonged period of time as well, returning a few months ago. The heads never made me get a new team, so I don't see why they'd make you.

-drew
    -Grey

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

huh, back again, Steve. You can use the team you started with and coincidentally, I deleted your bank account about a week ago because I thought you were gone but I believe you had 0 points so it doesn't really matter
    T_M_L

My ASB Team:
    Nightshade, Orion, Drake, Apollo, Shino, Ares, Arya, Isis, Ace, Arbiter, Nero, Haplo, Coren, and Marit

I have a new question, don't you guys just love me? LOL
    Anyways, I was wondering about the GLs, are we going to have a Gym Leader Tourney, or GLs again in the near future?
    [SIZE=4]
    My Adopties
    AvengerPokes
    ASB Team

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

No, GL's are not in the picture right now
    T_M_L

My ASB Team:
    Nightshade, Orion, Drake, Apollo, Shino, Ares, Arya, Isis, Ace, Arbiter, Nero, Haplo, Coren, and Marit

Default Re: ASB Rules (Moved from Towers and merged with Winnings System)

Oh, here's an intersting question, but it hurts some people starting out, can you use a pokemon in more than 1 battle at one time?
    [SIZE=4]
    My Adopties
    AvengerPokes
    ASB Team

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Yes, because the reasoning is that you can't be battling four different people at once so you must be dueling them at different points in time. Therefore, the Pokemon can be used more than once
    T_M_L

My ASB Team:

Master of Electricity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Is Phasing (ghost pokemon) still handled the same way as it used to be? Basically can take an action to either avoid any solid/liquid attack, or use it to go through walls and whatnot?
    Master of Electricity
    Credits for the awesome banner go to Saffire Persian

Master Trainer

I'm not sure about using it to avoid attacks, but certianly passing through walls, floors and other objects.

For Real Reals. Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Can I have a match with a legendary vs another legendary if I get no points for winning, no points for exp and the only winner is the ref.

Because I'd like to have a like, Articuno vs Suicine battle... Go go birdie.

The hair trigger is back! Moderator

Um, Andrew, I hate to burst your bubble, but didn't you forget that legendaries aren't allowed in ASB?

Anyway, if such a battle was allowed (I'm glad it wouldn't be allowed b/c of the rules), it would probably be unfair to both battlers in the end if the ref was the only one who got points out of the battle. I'd personally not want to be that cheap.
    Knight of Time

Legend of Zelda fan for life.

Owner of the Zelda Unown Trophy (2011), the Gamer Unown Trophy (2012), the Hangman Trophy (2014), the Have you played this game? Unown Trophy (2015), and the Hard Worker Trophy (2019)

Discord Handle: Knight of Time#4253

Moderator of GGG since April 2, 2020

For Real Reals. Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Yes, but I wouldn't actually "Own" the legendary, it'd be pretty much a spectator's match.

But it's still the experience of using a legendary, and the winner is the ref.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

One of the Battle Frontier facilities was based around using legendary Pokemon but the BF never lifted off the ground.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Im i right in assuming that the free Capture-Evolution for a win has now been removed also?

I havent been around much since the restart so i wasnt aware of this. Didnt notice it in the ´who wins what´part so just thought id check.

Afterworld ~ Chapter 2 | Blood Bowl ~ Chapter 3
    If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Yea. Free captures or evolutions can be earned, however, by either winning ref of the month or completing sufficient reffings (see the reffing tower for details)

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Right so basically only refs can earn freebies.

No prob. I may look into it someday but right now im here to enjoy myself and having people relying on me for a reffing seems abit too much like hard work lol.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

We are looking into changing ref of the month to member of the month, because refs get their freebies by completing matches. This way good manners, frequent updates and such will earna reward.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

I have a question about maybe another business...
    In the old days, we had like 2 parks, etc...
    I like the surprise of the Egg center, but what about having a Breeding Center, like say I wanted a nincada, I'd ask RL if he would breed his Ninjask/Shedinja for me at the breeding center, then I would get the egg?
    [SIZE=4]
    My Adopties
    AvengerPokes
    ASB Team

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Its a nice idea, but whats the point? You may as well buy one yourself. Sig moves arent around to pass down, and breedable moves/TMs arent needed because a Pokemon has access to them anyway in ASB.

However we'll see what people think. If the majority of people like the idea we could possibly re-work the catching and evolution methods.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

I do like this idea. Currently the Genders are pretty pointless as so many people consider Attract a cheap move it is banned in a lot of battles.
    This way, perhaps for a reduced cost or maybe even free if other restrictions are applied (the pokemon in the breeding center cant participate in a battle for a whole week etc), two pokemon in the same Breeding pool can be placed together with both participants receiving an Egg of the Female in question.
    Perhaps limit it to only 2 Breedings per player a month, maybe the Breeding center only has room for so many couples etc.

Its perfectly do-able and could be used as an alternate for the Refs getting free Evo's. ie Standard members get a free trip to the Egg center after every so many battles. Refs would have to pay 1 point. Without trying to get this back to the whol business way it was the only objection to this currently is that as mentioned, everything else is already so cheap.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2

Banned

I have an interesting question.. the moves that pokemon have access to in ASB.. are they just limited to the available moves in R/S/E and FR/LG or do the pokeys from the RBY and GSC eras have access to the moves they had back then that they dont have for RSE-FRLG

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

The RBY and GSC Pokemon have access the old moves as well as every updated move, including RSE and FR/LG
    T_M_L

My ASB Team:

They also have access to Pokemon XD moves, like KKahn's sing and Chansey's sweet kiss,
    Bwahahahahaha, oh, and if you look at the attack list beta tower, pg.6, I believe Chris said also certain Pokemon Box moves
    [SIZE=4]
    My Adopties
    AvengerPokes
    ASB Team

Banned

A bit of clarification needed on Tag team battles:

If it's a 4v4(2 and 2 for each competitor) and me and my partner use 3, but our opponents lost, we get 2 points to split between us, and the ref gets 2, correct?

Or would BOTH battles and ref get 8 points?

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

If you and your teammate used one Pokemon each and it's the same for your opponents, you, your teammate and the ref would get two and the losers would get 1 each

If you and your teammate used two Pokemon each and yada yada, it would be 4, 4, 4 and 2 each for the losers

If you link to the battle, it would be less confusing
    T_M_L

My ASB Team:

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I have 4 Pokemon, and all of them are participating in 2 battle posts. My Pichu is in a one-on-one and the rest of them are in a 3v3, since all of them are occupied do I have to wait to participate in more battles, or does that even matter? I thought it was more realistic to wait...

Also, I'm kinda curious about this, but would Torment and Encore cancel each other out, or what?

Thanks.

AIM: MetallixGirl84 MSN: MetallixGirl84@hotmail.com Yahoo: metallixgirl84

Torment and encore...sounds like it would stop the pokemon from using it for a while, but I don't know about ending the current encore, as encore is used once, to make the foe repeat itself.

Yes, you can have those pokes in other matches, we are allowed 4 matches at one time, and I have 2 in 3 of them
    [SIZE=4]
    My Adopties
    AvengerPokes
    ASB Team

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Okay, thanks, DD.

AIM: MetallixGirl84 MSN: MetallixGirl84@hotmail.com Yahoo: metallixgirl84

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Torment/Encore: If a Pokemon is Tormented, then an encore cannot work as the Pokemon is too tormented to obey the encore.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I have a question: does finishing a match as a sub-ref count for a completed match? For example, if my fifth reffed match was one where I served as a substitute, would that count for completed matches?
    [COLOR=red]Adoptees

ASB Team:Can you believe I only wanted 6?

Thanks, Saffire Persian!(If you like the banner, go ask her to make you one, too.)

ASBRPG Card

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

It depends how much you reffed. If you ref the majority of the match then yes. If not, then it doesnt count.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master of Electricity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

In the anime episode that showed this last Saturday (Rough Tough Jigglypuff) both Jigglypuff and Loudred made use of their abilities (Cute Charm and Soundproof).

Just wondering if that improves the chance that abilities will be implemented perhaps, or if the issue is not that abilities have never appeared in the anime, but rather just an issue of how certain abilities would work.
    Master of Electricity
    Credits for the awesome banner go to Saffire Persian

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Abilities aren't implemented because we felt certain abilities are too difficult to translate from games to ASB. Similarly some Pokemon like Muk have two rather rubbish abilities, while Heracross has two very good ones.

It would just get messy.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

I agree, it would get messy, I don't think anone has a muk yet, I think Swalot is better though...

[SIZE=4]
    My Adopties
    AvengerPokes
    ASB Team

The only problem i see right now with the Rules (or the general way things are run) is that apart from pokemon that are given (such as the egg center) or personal favourites, people arent actually picking pokemon to use. Their picking Movesets and type advantages.
    Its this whole RPGASB thing thats made me realise the only reason i picked Snorlax for my team was the massive movepool it learned...i dont particularly like it. Lapras was next on the list etc

Guess theres not really much we can do about that though.

ASB Record
    W-12 ~ D-2 ~ L-2