Thread: Another pokemon world dynamics discussion (currently featuring Nidos)

Dragon Tamer Administrator
    Administrator
    34.625 S, 58.50595 W (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Default Another pokemon world dynamics discussion (currently featuring Nidos)

This came up during an IM conversation I had with Karin.

(20:26:06) GuardianLune: actually, Nidoking can breed.
    (20:26:12) GuardianLune: only Nidorina and Nidoqueen can't.
    (20:26:24) Lady Vulpix G: Really? That's odd. Why would they do that?
    (20:26:54) GuardianLune: I really have no idea. It has something to do with the fact that a female Nidoran can generate both female and male babies.
    (20:27:27) Lady Vulpix G: That's what Iwas thinking, maybe the coding was easier that way.
    (20:27:28) GuardianLune: Nidoking can fertilize other pokémon... And it can breed with Ditto if you only want male nidorans.
    (20:27:32) GuardianLune: Probably.
    (20:28:02) Lady Vulpix G: I don't think it makes sense, though.
    (20:28:06) GuardianLune: Since nidoking has really no say in gender of the nidoran that comes out, the female would be the only one that matters.
    (20:28:16) GuardianLune: it was probably a coding decision.
    (20:28:21) GuardianLune: It doesn't seem logical...
    (20:28:22) Lady Vulpix G: But that sounds like a good topic to discuss on GD.
    So, what do you all think? Why can Nidorino/Nidoking breed but not Nidorina/Nidoqueen? Why can't male Nidos who breed with Dittos have female children? Does this make sense to you, or do you think it should be different?

Annual Unown Awards: Kind (2007), Friendly, Queen (2008), Dedicated (2009), She found Kevin! (2009),
    Everyone wins (2011), Tea, World traveler (2012), Busy, Patient (2013),
    Durga, Firefox, Twenty Thousand Hidden Posts (2014), Helpful (2015),
    Active, Discord, Letter, Unown Awards 2019 (2019).

Don't forget to visit the Dragon's Guild and Dragon Tamers site.
    ✭Ask me about AC/CC. Adopt a pokemon and Join!✭

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default Re: Another pokemon world dynamics discussion (currently featuring Nidos)

I knew that the advanced stages of the female Nido couldn't breed, but I wasn't aware about the "only male babies" thing with the Nidoking. That does seem odd and illogical. My guess is that they made some mistake with the coding where a random number within a certain range was supposed to be generated (thus determining the gender of the baby) and they accidentally set the formula up to always generate male babies. That or it's supposed to be a fun little secret that only people who play the game like crazy know about.

Is that true for both GSC and RSE (and I suppose FrLg as well)? It'd be interesting to test that out.

And the upper stages of female Nidos not being able to breed never made sense to me. I just don't get that. That little factoid, however, was about the only useful piece of info I got from a GS guide I bought way back when. It had discrepancies, incomplete info, and it stopped at the Bug Catching Contest. Yeah, that's right. It never continued to Ecruteak City. I'm pretty sure it didn't even get to the Sudowoodo problem.

Moral of the story: Check your guides for completeness before you buy them. Or use GameFAQs or something. Don't get suckered into a [expletive] guide.
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

Cloyster Moderator

Default Re: Another pokemon world dynamics discussion (currently featuring Nidos)

I do believe the thing with Ditto breeding is that the baby will ALWAYS be the lowest evolution (not counting item prevos) of the non-Ditto pokemon, so that's probably why, of course if you can breed a female Nido with Ditto and get a baby male Nido then I guess that's probably not why. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing with Volbeat/Illumise.

Anyway, I was never sure why Nidorina and Nidoqueen can't breed, I did read in another thread though that you could get them to do it in GS, even though all the guides said you couldn't.
    Winner of the Unown Awards: 2008 "Hard Work", 2010 "Dedicated", 2012 "Journalist", 2012 "Unown", 2013 "Anchorman", 2014 "Unown", 2015 "Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff!"

Facebook - YouTube - Miiverse
    Diamond: 1418 3196 1413 - SoulSilver: 0217 4582 5426 - White: 1119 9535 7054 - White 2: 1421 4560 4887 - X: same as 3DS
    3DS: 3866 8018 5231 - AIM: IslanderJeff02
    Joined November 8, 2004 - Modded October 24, 2008