Thread: The Official "I Hate My Boss" Thread

Default The Official "I Hate My Boss" Thread

I wanted to title this, "My Boss is a Douchebag", but I didn't know how the public would react.

Anyway, I felt it necessary to post a thread for this because no matter how almost perfect your job is, there's a person or persons there who make you want to sign a petition to legalize murder of the first degree. But now that this is here, I feel obligated to post the first entry in the official "My Boss is a Douchebag" column. Here goes:

MY BOSS IS A DOUCHEBAG
    first entry

I work in a grocery store, which is bad for me in so many ways. Kids at home, if you need a job, casually skip the grocer desparately needing new hires. I say this simply because grocery stores, aside from fast food joints and the like, are horrid places to work, especially if you're an anti-social pissant like myself.

Now that the backstory is set, I shall begin my tale: I work in the Frozen Food department of a local Winn-Dixie, which, for those of you who don't know, is a chain of grocery stores in the Southeastern portion of the United States. There are two other employees that work in this department, three if you count my managers, Mr. Douchebag (that's not a way to conceal his identity; that's my actual nickname for him). Now, Mr. Douchebag, like most managers, makes four dollars more an hour than I do (which is about one hundred and sixty dollars more a week before taxes), and yet, actually works very little. I'm not saying this because I'm jealous of his giant paycheck, I really mean that he's a lazy bastard who rarely works.

The biggest trucks of the week (with an average pallet count of five or six) come on Mondays. Mr. Douchebag is off on Mondays. I used to think that it was a coincidence, but this week, Mr. Douchebag actually worked on Monday (because he requested the weekend off). Guess how many pallets our truck had: TWO. Two pallets that could've easily have been done before I came in to work that day (12:00 p.m.). However, because Mr. Douchebag seldomly works, there was still two pallets in the cooler. Mr. Douchebag came into work at 7:00 a.m., and the truck came in around that time as well. Mr. Douchebag had five hours to finish off two pallets... but because he is a lazy Ess-Oh-Bee, he barely touched one.

Now, I'm not, by any means, great at my job. Hell, I've only been doing grocery work (stocking shelves) for about three months (I'm usually a cashier), but I was still able to get the job done before my coworker arrived (3:30 p.m.).

That ends my first rant, but I've got another one I have to address, which surprisingly, doesn't address Mr. Douchebag (not as much, anyway).

I have to work Sunday night as a cashier (which as I hate doing because I'm an anti-social pissant), from 3:30 p.m. until 1:00 a.m. (what kind of grocery store stays open that late?) because closing cashier just quit. It's no big deal, I'm used to working that late; unfortunately, I have to come in to work on Monday at 7:00 a.m. (only six hours after getting off) to deal with another truck (which'll probably be another five or six pallet'er because Mr. Douchebag is off that day). Eight hours of cashiering followed by four or five (if I'm lucky) hours of sleep followed by working my ass off on a frozen food truck... not my cup of tea.

I know a few of you are gonna be all, "that's not too bad, weakling", and such; but I don't care. To me, that's some pretty harsh work for someone who hasn't dealt with it.

And so really concludes my rant... if this thread is more popular than I imagine it'd be, then I may post another... that all depends.

[b][i][font=Palatino Linotype]-Grey
    -Grey

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Default Re: The Official "I Hate My Boss" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter
    Kids at home, if you need a job, casually skip the grocer desparately needing new hires. I say this simply because grocery stores, aside from fast food joints and the like, are horrid places to work, especially if you're an anti-social pissant like myself.
    no matter what, any job a teenager applies for will suck. because they will most likely be dealing with the public. food, retail, grocery store, whatever. the public sucks
    my boss bugs me because he's just a creep. I work in the lingerie department, and on my off days I'll go shopping and head straight for my department because I know what I want because when I work I make mental notes of what I want (pre-shop :>) somehow, no matter what, when I'm shopping there, my boss will see me and come up to me to talk to me. my hands full of undies and bras, he'll yap yap yap and tell me I can clock in early if I want. "...but I'm shopping right now *hide undies be uncomfortable*" get a clue dude. plus he smiles creepily. ick.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

eww i would shoot myself before i'd work at a winn-dixie. i can't even stand to go into them because they just tend to be...nasty. publix is better.

i quit my old job because my boss tried to make me and 2 other coworkers pay for missing money. she couldn't pinpoint where it had gone (we have 2 cameras pointing at the register, one on the path to the safe, and 2 on the safe) and $40 is a rediculous amount to lose in random miscounted change. Also, the computer had been messing up for about two weeks prior; however, every error before that night came out in a surplus.

Yeahhhhh my boss could be nice sometimes, but there's no way i'd put up with that BS.

"You hold the answers deep within your own mind.
    Consciously, you've forgotten it.
    That's the way the human mind works.
    Whenever something is too unpleasant, too shameful for us
    to entertain, we reject it.
    We erase it from our memories.
    But the imprint is always there."

Quote Originally Posted by Katie
    no matter what, any job a teenager applies for will suck. because they will most likely be dealing with the public. food, retail, grocery store, whatever. the public sucks
    True; however, my very first job was as a ride attendent for a family-run "family amusement" place. The great thing about that place was that it was in it's last year, so no one in particular really ventured to it; the management (aside from the owners) were all-around great people to work with, as they cared about their job in the same way that a man cares about the mysterious stains on his sheets - very little.

my boss bugs me because he's just a creep. I work in the lingerie department, and on my off days I'll go shopping and head straight for my department because I know what I want because when I work I make mental notes of what I want (pre-shop :>) somehow, no matter what, when I'm shopping there, my boss will see me and come up to me to talk to me. my hands full of undies and bras, he'll yap yap yap and tell me I can clock in early if I want. "...but I'm shopping right now *hide undies be uncomfortable*" get a clue dude. plus he smiles creepily. ick.
    Something tells me that if the W/D had a lingerie department, Mr. Douchebag would spend an hour or two a day doing that exact same thing. It's quite pathetic...

Quote Originally Posted by nightcrow
    eww i would shoot myself before i'd work at a winn-dixie. i can't even stand to go into them because they just tend to be...nasty. publix is better.

i quit my old job because my boss tried to make me and 2 other coworkers pay for missing money. she couldn't pinpoint where it had gone (we have 2 cameras pointing at the register, one on the path to the safe, and 2 on the safe) and $40 is a rediculous amount to lose in random miscounted change. Also, the computer had been messing up for about two weeks prior; however, every error before that night came out in a surplus.

Yeahhhhh my boss could be nice sometimes, but there's no way i'd put up with that BS.
    Publix Pride!! Er, sorry, went off on a tangent there. Anyway, back in Panama City, I used to work at a Publix... it wasn't too shabby... but the managers really enjoyed their posts. The managers that I work under really don't care about customer service or anything like that.

But I agree; no one should make you pay the amount that's missing from your till, that's just crazy. People are allowed to make mistakes... and forty dollars is a lot of money.

But speaking of things irrelevent to the topic at hand; I still say that your avatar is one of the best I've ever seen... (almost trumping mine).

-Grey

why wub woo Moderator

I did cleaning at an office once. They were using really shitty computers in the main office and when I was recycling paper, I noticed some idiots who with all their Business Studies degrees couldn't figure out how to use Excel so I decided to earn a bit of extra income on the side as a computer technician (i.e. work their spellcheckers and word counters...dumbasses). Anyway, I decided to shotgun for recycling every day (no one liked it since it meant going up and down lifts and stairs all day) and get a few fivers in the pocket.

The best part was when I found out that the office bulk ordered their PCs, so they all had the same software, such as LAN Scrabble. I just used one of the spare ones, pretending I was actually doing some work and beat some 30-something guys at Scrabble.

Other than that, every other job I've had has sucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Vulpix
    You have turned my vacation thread into a discussion about Heald's balls. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I'm starting a new job tonight and I'm sure I'll be ranting very very shortly. You're lucky you didn't start this thread while I worked at BJ's Wholesale Club or you'd see a rant every day.
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I work in retail, and I rarely see the actual "boss" but I have 4 supervisors, and they are all pretty cool. theres only one thats mean sometimes. haha

I mostly cashier and work in customer service. customer service sucks...there are so many rude people you have to put up with. especially old people who dont know anything!! like today. well, in guest service there is a room right when you come in, and another window in the store. this couple comes in the room to return something, so I go to help them. then this lady comes in at the other window and stares at me. So after I help this couple, I go to help her. then she screams at me saying she was there first, and she didnt appreciate what I did.

rofl....uh, you were not lady. but whatever...I seriously hate people like that.

but yeah. the only time my boss actually annoys me is when they ask me to pick up shifts. it really bugged me back during christmas cause i usually only had 1-2 days off in a week, and they bugged me both days >

i ♥ f a n f i c f o r u m Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

well.

I like my job.

I work in a chicken shop. Nothing too interesting happens there. One time a four year old kid tried to order a kebab, which i found entertaining. And often i get abused about teh food. If you dont like the food, don't eat it. But some old guy kept yelling at me because he didnt like a particular type of lettuce. He told me that i should be ashamed of my lettuce etc etc.

hee hee old people are funny.

♥ Funeral for a Friend . Opeth . Faith No More . Dream Theater ♥
    Unown ! Award (2008) for Amazing Comback!
    Unown S Award (2009) for Smile
    2009 Silver Pencils:
    Best Poem (All I Can Say About You) | Best Plot Twist (Full Moon) | Best Contributor | Queen of Fanfic | TPM Addict

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Mt. Moon gives me that similar feeling I used to get when I would wake up first thing in the morning as an 11/12 year old and get excited about browsing TPM.

Craig

You should be ashamed of your lettuce.

My manager is only semi douchebag. I don't know if she does it on purpose but if you ask for days off, she'll book you for that time. To be fair she is phillipino and a lot of the time doesn't always understand complicated english sentances... but then again, we DO write it down. Its not hard to figure out "I can't work after 5 on Saturday" means you can't work after 5 on saturday. Not that you want to work 5-10pm on Saturday.

When I work, my manager is never there.

I work in the photolab down at the "Real Canadian" Superstore. Its Loblaw Corp's attempt to give a homegrown competition to Wal-Mart. Ours was built directly next door. Im not sure if its working. They post our stock value and it seems to be going steadily down..down..down.

The photolab is almost its own environment. Sure there are other managers that you deal with ocassionally like the front end cash lady (who is often annoying and non-understanding to the photolab ways) the assistant store managers and of course the store manager himself. When I work, my direct manager is never there. Ever. She works in the day time, week days. I work evenings and weekends.

This creates headaches, because I work in a photolab. Orders go awry, they don't come out the way they wanted them. They want their money back, they want to speak to a manager. They want to know when the hell we are getting in more digital cameras that are offered in our flyer (thats part of my job, too. I have to do the lame salespitch and be all knowledgeable about the digital cameras).

You might be saying "photolab huh.... see any nude pics" the answer is yes. they are not always flattering. some are just disgusting. some are rather offensive. some might destroy your very moral fiber if you happen to be catholic. If you ever have lewd photos to bring it, bring them in on Halloween. You'll blend right in. Thats when they all come in.

One of the most awkward things is when a customer comes to pick up their nudeys. Nudeys you developped and are ringing out. Its like... I'VE SEEN YOU NAKED.

I highly recommend getting a job at a photolab if you are a teen. Its not hard work, like at all.

Master Trainer

bahahaha
    i just get minimum hours cuz im too expensive.
    go me!

2009 Silver Pencils:
    Best Poem (All I Can Say About You) | Best Plot Twist (Full Moon) | Best Contributor | Queen of Fanfic | TPM Addict

Mt. Moon gives me that similar feeling I used to get when I would wake up first thing in the morning as an 11/12 year old and get excited about browsing TPM.

I guess I'll post a follow-up then.

MY BOSS IS A DOUCHEBAG
    second entry

So there's this new girl at work; she's in the seafood department, and likes to talk (to anyone, it would seem). She initiates conversation with her and I find that she's a pretty cool person to talk to. However, despite the numerous claims that a male cannot possibly interact with a female of his species without it leading somewhere, we prove that to be otherwise. I can't speak for her, but I have no intentions for this coworker-coworker relationship to evolve into anything more than what it is.

However, this is where Mr. Douchebag comes back into play. He sees us talking many times, because that's usually what coworkers do to ease the suffering of actually having to work for a deadbeat company like Winn-Dixie, and automatically assumes that there's a spark there. Every now and then, he talks to me with a stupid grin upon his features, "So, you guys datin' yet?"

"Of course not. Why would we?"

"Well, I'm jus' saying because she likes you and all."

News to me. I mean, I am pretty dense, but I was certain that his claim was incorrect. Nonetheless, I told her this and she gave me the same reaction that I gave my boss - a blank stare leading to a "WTF?" expression. A few days pass by, and my boss's boss comes up to me with the same curiosity, "When're you gonna ask [her] out." I've refrained from using her actual name for obvious reasons.

"I didn't know i was supposed to."

I tell her this information and she reacts in a similar fashion as before - blank stare; "WTF?" expression. Normally, people would assume that's she's denying this, or at least that's what my peers are telling me. However, I theorize that if she's been denying it for this long (whilst so many people claim otherwise), she's gotta be telling the truth.

But, in all fairness, my boss is a douchebag and therefore lacks common sense.

-Grey

Master Trainer

bahahaha she likes you.

that happened at my work.
    basically everyone, including managers, thought my mate matt liked me (actually he did) and so one manager for like 2 months straight continued saying he had no balls because he didnt ask me out.
    hahaha
    we still laugh about it.

2009 Silver Pencils:

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

haha, I bet she likes you too!

I think this one guy at work likes me. I mean, he has asked me out a few times, and I went to the movies with him once and he payed for everything.

he has been hinting at me to give him my number, but never actually said "can I have your number"

I don't think she does... but even so, I'm not too fond of dating coworkers... especially ones that are still in high school...

-Grey

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Ahh what a perfect topic!

At the ski slope the manager just doesnt care, his plan is to just make as much money as physically possible. Now you may think 'hmmm this seems a good plan for a company'. But its the way he does it, he makes the lessons shorted, the prices higher and if a customer is unhappy with the way an instructor has taught them (we have some super shitty instructors) then the boss's attitude is 'you paid for a lesson, you got one, so shut up'

He just doesnt care about the staff, the customers or anyone other than himself.

At my new job at comet the managment are weird. To me and the new staff they are nice and we get on well. BUT to the old staff they are really bad, making them do jobs they are not trained to (thus annoying the customer greatly), extending their hours, and changing their shifts without telling them. Now there are no old staff as they all quit, and I can see why.

So were all playing it safe as they are still nice to us, were just worried they will turn on us...