Thread: Okay, yeah, you've got a college degree. But can you do addition?

Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer

Default Okay, yeah, you've got a college degree. But can you do addition?

Study: Most College Students Lack Skills

Wow. This is pathetic. I could do most of this stuff when I was in elementary school, and college graduates are struggling with them? I guess this just shows how awful the education system is nowadays. I just didn't think it had this much of an impact on secondary education programs.

Any thoughts?
    IT HAS RETURNED.
    THE TPM MAIN SITE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Luper View Post
    Holy crap ... I'VE become a grammar nazi, too.

SALTED NUTS! Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Default Re: Okay, yeah, you've got a college degree. But can you do addition?

Am I surprised?

No.

Am I disappointed?

Yes.

SW-2628-7394-6108 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Overall, the average literacy of college students is significantly higher than that of adults across the nation.

I would HOPE!
    winner of the (a)ncient (2009), (v)intage, (2009), (v)eteran award (2011), (e)veryone wins! (2011),
    (q)ueenly (2012), (y)ara sofia with Oslo (2012), (l)egalized (2014), (d)ream (2015), (a)ctive (2019), and (e)ighth generation unown awards! thanks TPM!

member since day 1

#OccupyMtMoon
    TPMNoVA12 ~ Hopes and Dreams ~ Team Birdo
    TPMUK12 ~ Drink the Pounds Away ~ Groceries

3DS Code: 3325-3072-6715
    GO Code: 1336-7550-2201
    You Are Awesome.

Hates You Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Our school cut History as a required subject for graduation a year or two ago. So by the time students realize they're idiots, they won't remember why.

Very clever, those politicians.

This is really bad to hear that college graduates can't do simple comparisons and measurements... We ought to be ashamed of ourselves.

The Cute and Loving Kamineko

Razor-Sharp Grin + Innocent Fingers = Naughty Kitty

Little_Pikachu

Well it's true what they say, you learn stuff in school that you'll never use in the real world, I find that since leaving school I've forgot a lot of the basics that used to be second nature to me, but now I know much more important pieces of information, things I'm actually going to use in a job or in some part of my life. Somethings you just don't need to know, so as you get older you forget them to make room for knowledge you intend to use.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

well that's what happens when cheating is fairly accepted (i know it's not really, but there is far less done about it then should be), especially some place like a college where they are getting your money.

"You hold the answers deep within your own mind.
    Consciously, you've forgotten it.
    That's the way the human mind works.
    Whenever something is too unpleasant, too shameful for us
    to entertain, we reject it.
    We erase it from our memories.
    But the imprint is always there."

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

As an high school senior, it's always depressing to hear horror stories of new college graduates taking jobs at Foot Locker and hanging around for a few years. Needless to say, this isn't too encouraging either.
    [COLOR=red]Adoptees

ASB Team:Can you believe I only wanted 6?

Thanks, Saffire Persian!(If you like the banner, go ask her to make you one, too.)

ASBRPG Card

for all seasons Moderator

This is bound to be me after university.

I fool those around me into thinking I'm smart by throwing around a lot of big words and acting sophisticated, when in actuality I'm good at English and not much else. Got me to where I am today without much hassle.

As for basic skills, comprehension and all that sort of rubbish is easy pickin's, it's the math that gets to me. When I was a young'un I concluded I hate math and would never need it, so for about eight years I didn't pay much attention in subsequent math classes. Alas, it means that I've got math talents similar to those of a nine year old, but my theory is that it's easier to get through life with a calculator than a dictionary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
    Tony is gay for little Snorlax.

Watch my YouTube to support my drug habit

Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Ace64
    As an high school senior, it's always depressing to hear horror stories of new college graduates taking jobs at Foot Locker and hanging around for a few years. Needless to say, this isn't too encouraging either.
    Sadly that is true for alot of people these days. As I continue through my college life, I realize for a lot of things you just might have get your masters or Phd to have a career in it, otherwise you'll probably end up teaching it or doing something else.

What gets to me is hearing how many college dropouts/people who didn't go to college are living successful lives while I sit through some snooty mediocre professor who lectures about Physics for two hours...sigh...
    MR.POKEMON
    Mr.Pokemon
    mr.pokemon

Joined TPM:August 4, 2001
    Junior Trainer:February 13, 2002
    Cool Trainer: June 3, 2002

Supporter of:AAML,AAGL and JAJL

Favorite Pokemon: Typhlosion, Lugia, Meowth, and Corsola.

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Waw, just waw.

Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Wow......Oh well, I'm not all that surprised for some reason. With the useless stuff they shove down our throats, it's no wonder that some simpler things are forgotten. Lol.
    Random Mark Twain Saying

"Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. Ah, but I repeat myself."

Epic as Usual Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pokemon
    What gets to me is hearing how many college dropouts/people who didn't go to college are living successful lives while I sit through some snooty mediocre professor who lectures about Physics for two hours...sigh...
    Yeah, it kinda defeats the purpose, don't it?

People seem to get this really rosy-glass vision of a college degree as a ticket that'll take them wherever they want to go. Truth is to get anything out of this world you're going to have to fight for it, and you might as well start now rather than waiting your way through an expensive school that really won't get you anywhere you want to go in the end.

I'm not saying college is bad; medical school, law school, and stuff like that are really important. You can't get a "teach yourself neurosurgery" kit. Hell no.

But I've heard from so many adults who went through college, got a degree, and then went I did something completely different. I mean, waste of time, no? If you're going to invest that much time and money in something, do it because you need to and want to, not becuase you think you just have to.
    Elrond rambled.

Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

college students get into college not because they're qualified, but because their parents have a crunkload of money.

for colleges lacking in funding, income > grades.
    “I always say if you’re going to get shot, do it in a hospital.”
    -House

Товарищ Красный Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I am sorry. My degree is not in fundamental mathematics.
    THE MOST AWESOME GUY ON THE FORUMS!!

Winner of the 2009 Zing, the 2010 Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь!, the 2011 Conventioneers, the 2012 Me loved ponies first, and the 2013 Cool Unown Awards

"Judge if you want. We are all going to die. I intend to deserve it." - A Softer World

i ♥ f a n f i c f o r u m Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

bahahaha
    im lucky i can still do those things.
    i need to hold on to what intelegence i have
    pity i didnt hold onto my spelling
    bahahaha

♥ Funeral for a Friend . Opeth . Faith No More . Dream Theater ♥
    Unown ! Award (2008) for Amazing Comback!
    Unown S Award (2009) for Smile
    2009 Silver Pencils:
    Best Poem (All I Can Say About You) | Best Plot Twist (Full Moon) | Best Contributor | Queen of Fanfic | TPM Addict

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Mt. Moon gives me that similar feeling I used to get when I would wake up first thing in the morning as an 11/12 year old and get excited about browsing TPM.