Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: *~ Twilight Town ~*

Usertitle ftw Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: *~ Twilight Town ~*

Perhaps we should start something fresh. Just out of the blue. I don't know your format, though.

exit stage Crowley Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I always rather like the Pokemon school type RPGs, but no doubt some people will claim the cliché factor. I also sway towards contest-style things, too, perhaps something could be done around that?

I'll be peeved if someone makes a really awesome Pokemon RPG though, cos I totally don't have the time to join it. D: Stupid holidays and nagging parents. *kicks holidays and parents*

this is hell
    we have a little something called integrity

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

perpetually absent Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel Overlord View Post
    I always rather like the Pokemon school type RPGs, but no doubt some people will claim the cliché factor. I also sway towards contest-style things, too, perhaps something could be done around that?

I'll be peeved if someone makes a really awesome Pokemon RPG though, cos I totally don't have the time to join it. D: Stupid holidays and nagging parents. *kicks holidays and parents*
    ASDFGHJKL

THAT'S WHAT THE RP WAS ABOUT!

It took place in Olivine City, and we had this whole system with teachers and clubs and this awesome Catching Area thing and a point system to get stuff like evolutionary stones and a whole little arc in an abandoned warehouse and and and...

You could basically kinda.. "major" in whatever you wanted to be, like Breeder, Trainer, Coordinator, etc etc etc.

I wish I still had the intro and stuff, it was the best (and one of the only) RPs I created that went well until someone deleted the topic.

nananananananana BATFLEA! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

The old Pokemon School RPG hosted by BBP and LP was always a popular topic. They tended to get over 1,000 posts before the RPG would end and the next would begin.
    "A closed mouth gathers no feet."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosakura View Post
    ASDFGHJKL

THAT'S WHAT THE RP WAS ABOUT!

It took place in Olivine City, and we had this whole system with teachers and clubs and this awesome Catching Area thing and a point system to get stuff like evolutionary stones and a whole little arc in an abandoned warehouse and and and...

You could basically kinda.. "major" in whatever you wanted to be, like Breeder, Trainer, Coordinator, etc etc etc.

I wish I still had the intro and stuff, it was the best (and one of the only) RPs I created that went well until someone deleted the topic.
    We had a similar Lapras Valley RPG a while back, where you could be a Coordinator, Breeder or Trainer. That was awesomely fun, until it died. D:

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Advanced Trainer

;-;

Once I get to you you peoples better, I'll remake this RP to suit TPM, with all your foreign character controllingness that I don't understand!

Elite Trainer

We're not that scary, are we? ;_; Don't worry, you'll soon get used to it here! Don't be afraid to do something in a different format though, I'm sure people will embrace it! Considering how many complainers we have, moaning about the "lack of variety" you should get at least TWO people signing up. XD

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Advanced Trainer

No, no, you're not scary, but I've only been here for about three weeks, so it's still going to take some time before I get used to everyone's posting styles and rants and likes and dislikes and stuff. I usually collaborate with someone else when making RPs though, and it's a little scary doing something on my own for once. ^^;

The real Shonta Moderator

I know how that's like. You're scared that you're going to do someone's character wrong, they PM you or IM you or post that they wouldn't do that, and then you have to edit. I used to be very scared about that.

...Still am.
    Random Quote:
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

My XBox Live gamertag is gleameyes26. Feel free to add me!

Vote for your favorite fanmade video game lyricshere!

Advanced Trainer

;-;! *huggles* I'm sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't alone in feeling that way. We can have our own corner of insecurities!

Elite Trainer

Yeah man, I worry all the time about OOCing people's characters. It fills me with glee and relief if someone says they like my posts. RPing can be scary work sometimes, it's a lot of responsibility, looking after everyone else's charries too.

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Advanced Trainer

Yeah, this is why I prefer not to make use of other people's characters when I roleplay, and I think that's why some people are turned off from TPM's RPG forum. Anyways, I'm planning it out and stuff, and trying to plot out a battle system and such. For those who are afraid to play out someone else's character wrong, you won't have to be anymore, because it'll be against the rules if you do play someone else's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosakura View Post
    For those who are afraid to play out someone else's character wrong, you won't have to be anymore, because it'll be against the rules if you do play someone else's character.
    I find that hard to do as well, especially when it comes to character interactions. It's like...if a scene of a RPG was a puzzle, then the pieces would be divided among the members, but everyone would only have pieces of puzzle pieces so they'll need the others' puzzle pieces pieces in order to complete the picture.

I'll understand if you didn't have an idea of what I was talking about.

EDIT: This is why I like instant messenger programs and OOC discussions in TWL. You can always plan interactions, so you won't have to worry about getting it wrong.
    Last edited by classy_cat18; 15th July 2009 at 04:57 PM.
    Random Quote:

Advanced Trainer

Well, it'll be a change of pace, right? I mean, personally, I'm more used to this style of posting. It's a little tedious, but it doesn't mean that it won't be a successful RP.

~HOPES AND DREAMS~ Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I dont care for the style where you cant control anyone elses character myself, plus Im old and set in mah ways ;D XDDDD But I wish you luck on it reguardless. And as long as your posting the rules in the sign up topic so those who join know full well what theyre expected to follow I dont see the prob ^-^

.: Ben + Brandy :.
    .: September 14th 2012 :.

:3 Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

*throws a cake at someone's face*
    *runs awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay*
    [Please Send Tell]
    Video Games, Life, and the Random Objects You Trip Over

Elite Trainer

*countercake* mwahahaha! Nice to see you Kalah, too bad you're not back for good
    -Benjamin Franklin

WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB! Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

*gets caked in the face*

Is this because I went away? *sigh*
    SteamID: virtualplay
    PSN Handle: VirtualPlay1337

VirtualPlay: they were checking your age so they could legally allow the guys to ogle you?
    ChobiChibi: yeah I guess XD

Is making this place terminal Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

Yeah, this is why I prefer not to make use of other people's characters when I roleplay, and I think that's why some people are turned off from TPM's RPG forum. Anyways, I'm planning it out and stuff, and trying to plot out a battle system and such. For those who are afraid to play out someone else's character wrong, you won't have to be anymore, because it'll be against the rules if you do play someone else's character.
    You bet it is! I'll join whatever you're doing if you got that rule goin' on, Kuro. You don't mind me shortening your name, do you?

I got sunburned so bad yesterday, not relating to the topic

Back on topic, I really don't like when my character is being controlled by someone else, it takes the fun out of it for me. But I really like to roleplay, making roleplay at TPM sad and near un-doable. But if more people are starting up non-controlling rps, I shall be here more often and happy again :3
    Thank you Saffire Persian. (Complete list coming soon)
    Awards: Contest Ribbons~ Unown Awards ~ Fanfiction Awards
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoKnight View Post

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

Elite Trainer

I think controlling other people's characters is almost necessary if you want the individual posts to have any sort of legitimate length. Also, how are characters even supposed to interact with each other and/or have a conversation without SOME control being given to non-owners?

I think people are just very protective, and they don't like when another person makes their character do things that "aren't like them". What needs to happen though is people need to compromise. First off, everyone in the RPG needs to read each character's profile thoroughly before they include them in a post, and do their best to stick strictly to that character's persona. On the flip side, owners of characters simply need to be more lenient and not be so picky. I used to nitpick every little thing people did with my chars if it wasn't perfect, but I mellowed out and started not caring much. As long as the overall RPG progresses, that's all that matters. Who cares if your character does something that isn't EXACTLY how you would do it? I think people just need to keep the bigger picture in mind: the life of the RPG itself.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Elite Trainer

What you say Bear is incorrect, top side, anyway. I'm a member of many Advanced roleplay sites and no one controls anyone elses characters and the lengths are just as long as any on TPM.

Long conversations do happens, indepth plots do happen. But everyone types for themselfs and no one steps on anyones toes.

Anytime I join a roleplay, I'll never use someone else's character, regardless of the rules of the particular roleplay....

...while you sleep.
    ".....Congratulations. You're the KROOOOOOOZE of female weeaboos. -w-;;;" -Blademaster about my Dragonball Z summary of what I know.

At least we are in a forum where we are free to choose whether we can control other characters or not. Personally, I get flattered when other people use my characters. So not having a "no controlling other characters" rule is a relief to me.
    Random Quote:

Elite Trainer

Oh, face stab! My computer 'Page cannot be found'ed me when I was doing my neopet bank processing. Oh the agony! It better not have done anything vile! I need those neopoint *epic agony face*

...while you sleep.

Elite Trainer

I'm sorry, but I have no idea how you can say in one breath that you hate other people controlling your characters, and that you don't control other people's in your posts, and then in the very next one say that you will write conversations between other people's characters and your own. Conversations = controlling other characters. In fact, I personally find that the most OOCing of my own characters comes from conversations with them written by other people.

This is why I write extremely detailed sign ups. It's hard for someone to OOC your character if they have more than just two or three lines written about their personality, appearance, etc. I don't think anyone has any room to complain about OOCing if they write teensy tinsy sign up forms that could be any character in the entire world.

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Elite Trainer

I never said I write conversations between others, I said long coversations do happen. Its very possible to have long conversations between two people. One person writes what they say, and another writes what they say. Wow, like in the real world. Golly, what a notion.

In fact, I say in that same paragraph, that everyone types for themselves...And I should hope you'd be cableable of doing so regardless of your perferances.

...while you sleep.

Elite Trainer

So basically, you write one line/paragraph of what your character says and then the next person replies with what their character says? Wow, that must be so much fun to read.

Not everyone has the attention span of a goldfish on here. Some of us like reading a long post (by the way, I don't count 500 words as being long, and 1000 is so far from "novel-length" I could laugh) with a little more than a single paragraph of stuff happening with maybe a line of conversation that's completely one-sided.

this is hell

Weasel Overlord says:
    spanner cock?

Elite Trainer

I still don't understand how two characters can have a lengthy conversation with each other, each person exclusively controlling their own, and have the post be "as long as those on TPM". Unless your character is delivering a monologue for each interaction, it's impossible. I will agree that it's possible to have long posts without controlling anyone else's character, but you can only progress the RPG so far without your character talking to another.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but you can't go to every RP forum and expect them to be the same. Each forum has its own inherent style, and its members are ok with that. You may not like our style, but it is what makes us TPM. You kind of need to be more open minded, and willing to adapt to the unspoken rules of the forum you join. If you can't adapt, then don't post in that forum. I really can't think of a better way to put it than that.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Just Too White & Nerdy Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I wasn't going to post in this conversation, but I finally decided to put my two cents in. I'm very non-confrontational, so I'll try to make this as fair and unbiased as possible.

I've been role-playing on TPM for almost 9 years now. The style here has always been the same. I view it less like role-playing and more like... *thinks of a way to put it*, like everyone taking turns writing pieces of a story and putting it together. Sure, there are times when a person may not get my character quite right, or I may make a mistake with someone else's character in one of my posts, but the way I see it, that's just because different people have different styles of writing and there's nothing wrong with that. As long as people pay attention to the sign-ups and profiles, nothing should be too glaring. Personally, when I use some else's character, I only use them for purposes of advancing my post. I try my best to keep them in character (using the creator's previous posts as a reference to how their character acts/speaks/moves, etc). I never make them do anything major, since I think individual character development is up to the creator of that character, but I see nothing wrong with having them move to a certain spot or say something to my character in order to develop a certain plot point. I try my hardest to not make them act too out of character though. It's not that hard if you pay attention.

However, I also role-play on Gaia. I've been role-playing there since 2005. The style of Role Play there is quite different from here. That doesn't make it inherently better or inherently worse, just different. The upside to only controlling your own characters is that, yes, you don't have to worry about someone else "messing up your character". The downside would be that it takes a lot longer for things to happen, especially when you have to wait for someone else to post to continue a simple conversation. I'm not trying to slam this style of role-playing because I do think it's more casual and relaxed. But it's not for everybody. Same with the style here on TPM. It's not for everyone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think everyone's getting too worked up about this. The bottom line is, if you don't like the particular rules in an RPG, don't join it. Simple as that. If you want to make an RPG where you only control your own characters, fine, do it. Just make sure it's clearly stated in the rules and whoever wants to join will join. But don't expect every RPG in the forum to suddenly adopt the same rule.

Both styles have their pros and cons. If you prefer one over the other that's fine, but not everyone will agree with you. Personally, I like BOTH styles equally. That's why I role-play in both places.

I also think everyone's forgetting that most of us are here to have fun. Role playing should be a friendly, non-competitive atmosphere where people can brush up on their writing skills and interact with friends and other writers at the same time. It's all about collaboration, cooperation and creativity.

*sigh* I don't know, am I making any sense here? I'm trying my best to represent both sides. o_o I'm indecisive that way. XDD

**Winner of the "Most Mysterious Character" Award (2009)**
    Sanya Halvacor - Kingdom Heartless

Kuro's quote fav:
    "Take whatever you want, just don't headbutt me." - Bear

The destroyer of worlds Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I agree with Kuro on this one. I've had my share of both styles, and both have their pros and cons. There's no rule saying you can't use either of these styles on here. If you want to make a RPG with the "No control characters" rule, go right ahead, if not, you're free to do it the other way as well. We don't want a war to break out over something as trivial as this.
    I'm in your dimensions, screwing with your reality!

Beside Myself Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

*scrapes remnants of Kalah's day-old cake off wall, eats, leaves*

なぜベストを尽くさないのか?
    fangirling is my real day job

Elite Trainer

Hey Bear, I can post where ever the hell I like. And W_O, I would like if you stop taking the offense and acting like I'm making crap up.

And that is all. Everytime I talk about how I prefer Roleplaying in a way the majority of the members here don't, they explode like I'm gutting their animals.

So really, I'm through with being polite about it. This shall be my last reply to this thread until I'm less disgusted, so don't bother replying to me.

I really don't care how everyone else roleplays. It just be nice if people who prefered it a different way could roleplay. *leaves*

...while you sleep.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Umm guys can we please keep a level head in all of this? We all have our own different styles, and while there is a perfered style on this forum by a majority, I for one wouldn't mind seeing a RPG or two being started in a different style. Just like say CT's RPG with her word count, that was different and provided a incentive to do well thought out posts. I do think we should follow the rules laid out by the creator of the RPG, but trying out something new, especially having a RPG revolve around a new writing style should be encouraged as long as it doesn't step on any toes in other RPGs where another writing style is required.

Elite Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Houndoom_Lover View Post
    Hey Bear, I can post where ever the hell I like. And W_O, I would like if you stop taking the offense and acting like I'm making crap up.

And that is all. Everytime I talk about how I prefer Roleplaying in a way the majority of the members here don't, they explode like I'm gutting their animals.

So really, I'm through with being polite about it. This shall be my last reply to this thread until I'm less disgusted, so don't bother replying to me.

I really don't care how everyone else roleplays. It just be nice if people who prefered it a different way could roleplay. *leaves*
    The only person I see who's remotely close to "exploding" is you. I addressed you in a perfectly polite and respectful manner. I didn't call you stupid, I didn't get angry, I didn't belittle you. Don't speak to me in such rude terms again or you'll really get to see what I can do.

As far as the topic is concerned, I am adaptable and I can post both ways. If the rule states you cannot control another person's character, I will adhere to that, despite the fact that it is not my preference. You, on the other hand, appear to be unable and unwilling to compromise at all, and you get disgusted and indignant when someone asks you to. Furthermore, you act as if the way you're used to is the "right" way and the way we do it on TPM is "wrong". This stance is the particular one I take issue with, as it shows alot of arrogance. It reminds me of the US political system *shudders*.

Anyway, don't expect to throw your opinion out there and not have people disagree with you. It's going to happen, and you need to learn to accept that. You can't get upset and walk out every time someone has a contrary opinion to your own. You'll spend alot of your life unhappy that way.

Finally, nobody is stopping you from roleplaying the way you like. You are free to make whatever rules you want for whatever RPG you make. You are even free to follow your own rules when posting in other RPGs, by not controlling other people's characters. You can NOT, however, expect everyone to follow your rules if it is not your RPG. So if you join an RPG that does not have a "no controlling" rule, you have no right to get mad when someone uses your character in a post.

Keep in mind that, through this entire post, I didn't once call you names or take an angry tone with you. I remained calm, and spoke in the most respectful language I could come up with. I hope that after reading this you will calm down and realize that I am not out to get you or make you look bad, I simply have a different opinion than yours. I would ask that, in your future posts, you address me with the same respect I gave you.
    -Benjamin Franklin

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

I'm back. I'm keeping out of this conversation for now. All I'm here to say is to request as nicely as I can for Weas to BACK OFF. "The attention span of a goldfish" is stupidity. Stupidity and preference aren't the same thing. Don't act as though they are.

That being said, I'm out of here. I'm too worn out to start going Resetti on everybody again so soon.

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

...Σ(·ω·ノ)ノ!!! Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

*runs in* OMG SOMEONE JUST STOLE THE CAKE I LEFT IN THE KITCHEN FOR MY PARTY-- *watches Chiko-Sai walk out with cream on her mouth*
    CHIIIIIKOOOOOO-SAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIII!!!! *runs after her*
    I am the edge of my shape.
    Squared is my face and cubed is my volume.
    I have proved over a thousand theorems.
    Variable to rational,
    Variable to imaginary,
    These polygons hold many numbers,
    Yet these polygons will remained unsolved.
    So, as I calculate,
    UNLIMITED BOX WORKS!
    There are no such thing as mad scientists, only creative ones.

Ten bucks says those two don't come back for at least two weeks.
    Random Quote:

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

* Sneezes and looks up from my models * Oh umm... so is it over?

* Show off *

You crook! Ya CRIMINAL!! Veteran Trainer
    Veteran Trainer
    The Universe - 46 degrees north, 8 trillion degrees west

Roy that is frightening. It's like a wax sculpture: It's realistic, but in the wrong wa-... Wait a minute...

...Wait... a minute...

Roy, I remember awhile ago you were showing off this silver-grey female figure in... I dunno if it was Fanart or whatever, but that's beside the point.

That's her, isn't it?

(Nintendo) 4 Lyfe

HEY! I do art commissions! Follow me and my pals on their website here!

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Yup good memory! I finally got around texturing her for a upcoming scene!

♥ <(^o^)> ♥ Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

The bridge of her nose comes up really high to affect even her forehead O_o; wowzers. *pictures her having a bone frill/crest thingy hidden under the hair*

LOL

XP

Nice texture.