Thread: ASB Grand Festival: Round III

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default ASB Grand Festival: Round III

This is the final appeal stage of the Grand Festival before we go into the Semi-Finals. There are 6 of us, I do believe, and you [should] all know who you are:

Aragorn Bird
    Chris 2.0
    Chris W
    The Blue Avenger
    River
    Elec Man EXE

This is a Hyper Appeal. An appeal which uses 5 attacks instead of 3. Sound good? It's not as easy as you think. With the original 3-attack appeals you are usually awarded by the attacks 'connecting' and working in unison with each other. With a Hyper Appeal, there is less emphasis on the five attacks working together. For example, a Pokemon could also use a signature attack of theirs as well as an attack combo.

You only use one Pokemon each and post in any order.

Judges include SaffirePersian, Andrew and Vermillion, although the latter may change. Two more people will be eliminated from this round similar to previous ones.

The arena is a standard contest stadium. It is round, open air (weather attacks will work) and with a very short, grassy ground.

After this round, (which will, with any luck, take less than a month to write up) the four remaining competetors will be paired up for the semi-finals. The winners of each will be put into the Finals for the Grand Prize.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*
    Posted September 22nd, 2013

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Default Re: ASB Grand Festival: Round III

Guess I'll post first. I'm using Callomuso, my Octillery [M]!

Cal, let's do this. First fire up a myraid of bubbles into the air with bubblebeam. Use a psychic to huddle them all together into a star shape - make sure they are very high up. Then I want you to unleash an aurora beam into the bubbles to refract the rainbow light all across the arena. Next, use a thunderwave to burst the bubbles amid a series of sparks, and as the rain patters around you, I want you to use a wide spread blizzard all around to freeze the water droplets into tiny ice crystals before they shatter.

Bubblebeam -- Psychic (Hold Bubbles) -- Aurora Beam (Strike bubbles and refract light) -- Thunder wave (Burst bubbles) -- Blizzard (on falling water)

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Master of Electricity Advanced Trainer
    Advanced Trainer

I don't suppose there are any trees around this arena?

Don't want another round of my appeal screwing up because I'm missing a key component...
    Master of Electricity
    Credits for the awesome banner go to Saffire Persian

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

No there are no trees. Standard arena. It has a clay floor and markings painted in white.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Blue blue Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

I thought it was grassy, not clay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Maybe he figured he 'sold out' when he accepted a modding position and hanged himself. At least, that's what I would do.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Was it? *checks* yup you're right. Where did I get clay from? Must have been some other idea I've yet to implement.

Any other questions, please direct them into the main Grand Festival thread. Just appeals in here thanks.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Advanced Trainer

Hmm.... sorry Atlas, I'd like to use you for the appeal but I just can't think of anything without having an object to beat on.

I'm going to go with one of my new additions, Celeste the female Drowzee.

Ok Celeste, lets do this right. I want you to start off by spewing a nice Poison Gas. Then, follow up with a Psychic to manipulate the gas into a serpentine dragon shape (not a pokemon dragon, just a cool looking mythological dragon). Fly that around in the sky a bit, around mid-level of the stadium seats. That alone is pretty cool, but its not enough. Stop the dragon, and then fire off a Thunder Wave at the gas, let the electricity course through it and make it appear as though the dragon is powering up. The gas should conduct the electricity well enough. Finally, I want you to build up a nice Shadow Ball. Then, I need you to Teleport the Shadow Ball, into the dragon's mouth, then release it so it flies into the ground. It should look like the dragon shot the ball out, and hopefully everyones attention will be on the dragon so they won't notice that you made the ball.

Poison Gas ~ Psychic (manipulate gas into a serpent dragon) ~ Thunder Wave (fire into the dragon to make it look like its gathering energy) ~ Shadow Ball (build, don't release yet) ~ Teleport (the Shadow Ball into the dragons mouth, then release the ball into the ground)

EDIT: It occured to me that I need to make sure to clarify, the Teleport is ONLY for the Shadow Ball, Celeste does not teleport herself. Don't want her to end up stranded in midair
    Master of Electricity

For Real Reals. Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I think you got Clay from the fact we've never seen an appeal stage in the anime with grass.

Blue blue Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Okay, I'll use Universe Man, my male Poliwrath.

Universe Man, start with a Substitute. Then hurl it into the air with Seismic Toss. Next, jump and spike it to the ground with Mega Punch, and land on it hard with a Mega kick. Finally, rip it to shreds with a Brick Break as a show of strength.

Substitute ~ Seismic Toss ~ Mega Punch ~ Mega Kick ~ Brick Break
    Quote Originally Posted by Heald View Post
    Maybe he figured he 'sold out' when he accepted a modding position and hanged himself. At least, that's what I would do.

***SLARTIBARTFAST*** Elite Trainer
    Elite Trainer

I will now spend my 3000th post on my appeal.

I'll choose Nessa, my Female Lapras! Let's show off your diverse array of attacks.
    First, use Ice Beam to create an icy ramp that curves into the air. Then, fire a Water Pulse at the ramp so that it slides up it and high into the air. Then, hit the Water Pulse with a superaccurate Shock Wave. As the water ball bursts, use Psychic to cover the water drops in a blue glow and bring them over your head, swirling them in circles for show. Finally, go from blue to green as you give off your brightest Safeguard so that the area around you sparkles as the water drops rain down.

Ice Beam - Water Pulse - Shock Wave - Psychic - Safeguard

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~*Arkeis.com - Pokemon art and game info!

GRRRRR ARRRRGH

[color=#0066ff][font=sylfaen] Eep! Sorry I'm here,

Ok I'm, well, eh heh let's try this. Go my female Spinarak, Hyacinth!

Right first use a Spider Web on the ground to make yourself a target. Be careful. Then go far enough away for a good lauching distance. Then use Dig. Don't make it overly deep, just enough to hide you, but a little wide. Then use a Flash to make the hole glow, and immediataly afterward use Psybeam, to rocket yourself out of that hole. Then use a Psychic to make yourself land safely in the centre of the 'target'.

Spider Web/Dig/Flash/Psybeam/Psychic
    Whoot.
    *Dad talking about his filling.*
    PL: Did it fall out?
    Dad: Yeah! ****in' thing only lasted two days.
    PL: Huh.
    Dad. I can stick my tongue down in my hole--
    He just stops.
    *hilarity ensues*

Mom: We're one warped family.
    *through hiccups*
    PL: I didn't know you were that flexible!

Winner of five Awards in RPG, including Best Writer.
    Winner of 2009 Golden Pen for Most Original Fiction

PSN: River_in_Time
    XBOX tag: DameSquishdalot

Now that the mess at the TPMASBL have receded...

Chris Watarimono
    The Grand Festival - Part III

HEAVEN OR HELL
    LET'S ROCK!

Muuuuuusic please!

Beatdrop - Strip Mine

Today, we'll be using Joann, my newly evolved Altaria! Let's go, chicka!

Joann: Squeee! :3

Start with the art of the Dragon Dance, establishing your graceful and majestic image. Continue lulling the audience into calm and tranquility with your gorgeous soprano Singing. Then afterwards - catch the audience off guard by swooping in with a False Swipe! Connect the swipe immediately afterwards by soaring over the crowd's heads at mach speeds with an Aerial Ace and sweep high above the stage, where you'll finish by showing off your ultimate technique -- the Sky Attack! Glow with power and swoop all the way down to the ground, where you'll land for your photo finish. Be sure to slow down on your descent for the Sky Attack so you don't end up splattering yourself on the stage. lol.

Dragon Dance ~ Sing ~ False Swipe ~ Aerial Ace ~ Sky Attack

Joann: Squee! :3
    AYE ESS BEE

Shamshir/Wario/Joann/Mr. Larpus/Giant Enemy Crab (Xanthius)
    Meliadoul/Shizuka/Roy/Pit/Taina
    Celice/Anita/Asmodeus/Ferdinand
    Elekid

Work It Harder Make It Better
    Do It Faster, Makes Us stronger
    More Than Ever Hour After
    Our Work Is Never Over

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

And thats all 6 appeals for Round III! Andrew, Verm, Saffire, time to judge!

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

For Real Reals. Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

All done!

Advanced Trainer

Darn you Andrew, you got me all excited when I saw there was a new post here....
    Master of Electricity

Warlock for Life-Mediev Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

Grand Festival
    Appeal Stage: Round III

Welcome one and all to the 3rd round of this heated Grand Festival! Things are running rather well for this 1st annual event and without further delay, Let’s Get It ON!

[center][color=silver]Chris 2.0 and Callomuso the

Attacks: Bubblebeam – Psychic – Aurora Beam – Thunder Wave – Blizzard

Taking the stage with much applause, one of the two Moderators of our league, Chris 2.0, releases onto the grassy ground a crimson Octopus. The slime coated calamari coos softly and Chris orders his appeal to his pokemon. Callomuso nods and from his snout into the air, a blast of tightly pack bubble sails toward the ceiling and instantly, Callo’ glows violet and collects the bubbles in a 5 point star shape. Next a shimmering multicolored beam strikes the star, sending a cascade of vibrant color through it, leaving the audience in slight awe. Feeling the effects of his appeal working, Callomuso glows with erratic electricity and strikes his creation, destroying it in a rainbow of falling drops to be instantly frozen by a gust of artic wind. The droplets shatter around his body in a beautiful display on the grass…
    Score & Comments: Me – 9.1 Wonderful start to the round, good choice is pokemon and attacks. Everything flowed very nicely together.
    Andrew – 9.3 Wonderful, truly wonderful, a great appeal I thoroughly enjoyed! Only downside, poor octillery looked a tad out of water.
    Saffire - 8.8 I thought this appeal was very creative, and showed off quite a bit of Octillery’s infamous move versatility.
    Total – 27.2

[center][color=silver]Elec Man EXE and Celeste the
    Attacks: Poison Gas – Psychic – Thunder Wave – Shadow Ball – Teleport
    Chris leaves the stage to much stadium shaking applause and is replaced with Elec Man who is closely followed by his Drowzee. The psychic tapir claps her hands together and meditates as Elec Man issues his commands. Inhaling deeply, Celeste spews from her snout a murky green gas that fills the stage but she doesn’t quit there. Glowing with a violet aura, she closes her eyes and manipulates her hands in precise patterns. Within moment the shapeless gas transforms into a fearsome serpent dragon that circles the stadium, shocking the crowd and giving them a good show! With her will, the dragon stops in mid air and she launches a ball of electricity at it, giving it the illusion of glowing for a powerful technique. The audience is totally focused on this which gives Celeste the chance to form a Shadow Ball in her palms and send it away in a flash of light. The ethereal energy appears from the dragons maw and launches into the sky, exploding in a rain of darkness…Bravo!
    Score and Comments: Me – 9.0 Maybe its just me, but this round is bring out the best in people, I like the uniqueness of the appeal, good job!
    Andrew – 5.2 Using Poison Gas on the audience... and I don't think Psychic is that powerful to keep control of something like that for so long, and making it so detailed? It really detracted from who was on show – Drowzee
    Saffire -8.6 Good – though I’m wondering how much of the thunderwave you could see through the Poison Gas, but very cool nonetheless, I like it.
    Total – 22.8

[center][color=silver]Hypotenuse Man and Universe Man the
    Attacks: Substitute – Seismic Toss – Mega Punch – Mega Kick – Brick Beak
    The 2nd Mod of this contest comes next and releases a burly, shiny Poliwrath named after a character from his favorite band “They Might Be Giants!”[/shameless plug] Universe Man flexes his biceps and empresses the crowd, and with a snap of his fingers the appeal begins. The giant frog commences with a series of hand seals, finishing with a “Kage Bushin no Jutsu” to create a perfect copy out of seemingly nothing. As the smoke clear from his double, Uni’ forcefully grabs it by the arm and spins like a top to throw it high into the air. Following with what I have dubbed the “Gaeru Rendan!” or “Frog Barrage” Universe pulverizes the clone from the air with a leaping Mega Punch and once it smashes into the soil, he stomps the enemy with a glowing foot from his Mega Kick, driving it deeper into the earth. Finish off his tatter Substitute, the Poliwrath clobbers it with assorted karate chops that smash it to nothingness…Very strong indeed.
    [color=aquamarine]Score and Comments: Me – 6.2 To me, this fell a little short of what I expected. He is very strong no dout, but beating up a clone doesn’t empress me.
    Andrew – 4.6 I really dislike Physical Shows of strength for appeals. Beating something up, even a doll isn't particularly thrilling...
    Saffire - : 7.1 While good… I felt watching the Poliwrath continuously pummel a substitute a bit on the boring side. Too much similarity, not much variety. We’re here to see a Contest, not a Pokemon Battle/Wrestling Match.
    Total – 17.9

[center][color=silver]aragornbird and Nessa the
    Attacks: Ice Beam - Water Pulse - Shock Wave - Psychic – Safeguard
    To celebrate his 3000th post (congrats dude) aragornbird calls forth his Sea Monster, Nessa, and commands her with much joy. A quick Ice beam escapes her mouth and strikes the grass, and with an Ice Man like technique, creates a ramp of solid tundra. Following that, Nessa charges a glowing orb of aqua and release it at her ramp and rockets it into the sky with great ease. The sea monster proceeds to concentrate orange electricity to her horn and fire a arrow shaped bolt which homes in and pierces the water attack, causing large drops to rain down. The droplets suddenly glow with violet light and converge in a tight circle to levitate around Nessa who smiles and glows a soft green for he Safeguard show which refracts through the water to finish out….
    Score and Comments: Me – 7.5 A solid appeal, but kinda mediocore.
    Andrew – 8.9 A nice appeal, very nice, I enjoyed Lapras' abilities you demonstrated.
    Saffire – 7.4 Good in idea – but I really don’t see any of the water bursting because of the electricity – and I really don’t see a ‘water ball’ either, just a torrent of water coursing up the ice slide. While the end was a little more impressive, the ending move didn’t quite bode well with me for some reason.
    Total – 23.8

[center][color=silver]River and Hyacinth the
    Attacks: Spider Web – Dig – Flash – Psybeam – Psychic
    A fan favorite, River skips out with her energetic spider clinging to her shoulder. Hyancinth flips off his trainer and takes point on the grassy field and spits into the sky a ball of webbing that expands into an intricate spider web target. Hyan’ next distances herself for her target and digs a launching pit and glows with pristine white light. The audience is captivated by what’s going to happen next until suddenly, Hyan’ rockets up in an arc of sparkling light from her Psybeam and with her Psychic will, the arachnid lands upon her target with ease and grace…
    Score and Comments: Me -8.3 Very coordinated and precise.
    Andrew – 8.1 Very original and a ton of fun! Only part that detracted, the in the hole thing.
    Saffire – 7.5 Cool, though not overly impressive. Very unique and creative though.
    Total – 23.9

[center][color=silver] Chris Watarimono and Joann the
    Attack: Dragon Dance – Sing – False Swipe – Aerial Ace – Sky Attack
    And finally, finishing out this round of appeals is Chris Watarimono, releasing his cerulean bird Joann who instantly takes to the skies. The dragon circles the arena, surrounding herself in turquoise flames that take on the shape of a Chinese dragon. This fearsome apparition is countered by a sweet soulful melody from Joann’s beak, leaving the crowd in calming awe. Suddenly Joann darts into the sky and stops quickly changing direction in a fantastic show of her flying abilities. She surrounds herself is pale blue winds and speeds around the arena with Aerial Ace finishing by swooping straight up and igniting is sky blue fire. She dives like a comet and seconds before she is to slam the ground, she gracefully lands, flickering with flames….
    Score and Comments: Me -8.7 I really enjoyed the aerial artistry of your appeal, well done.\
    Andrew – 4.8 How does a cloud... dance? Plus, haven't you noticed from past contestants (Chris 2.0 last roung) that putting the audience to sleep - NO! Also, scaring the audience? Computer says no.
    Saffire – 8.9 I liked this one very much – especially the end image of an Altaria doing Sky Attack, which is pretty impressive in itself and makes for a good finisher.
    Total – 22.4

And there you have it folks…Hypo’ and Chris W. are outtie, better luck next time guys. To the remaning contestants, its coming down to the wire. The big 1 on 1 battles are coming up, give it your all!

In random order of battle

Elec
    River
    Aragorn
    Chris 2.0
    Boo Yah!

Riken | Oryx | Njord | Wraith | Blysse | Zoso
    Kabuki | Poe | Faul | Cruz | Haku | Surtr
    Trilless | Maladroit | Argonaut | Eowen | Gaia | Chocobo
    Penelo | Thor | Nereus
    Sylar | Mercutio

Thanks River, you RaWk with a passion...Word.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Wow. Was it just me or did we all RAISE THE GODDAMN BAR, Y'ALL!

Verm, Saffire and Andrew - for putting up with my badgering and PMs all summer you each get 6 points. Things have been shaky but the three of you have been fantastic judges and despite busy schedules you've all given these detail and precision. Can you please link to the Information Thread when you post at the bank.

Ok so the semi-finals are under way, it seems. Details will be posted in the information thread.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Advanced Trainer

Ack.... beaten out by .1 point

Andrew's wrath strikes back, lol. Its always bad mojo to beat him to qualify for the GF

EDIT: How to do this without sounding like an ass... hmm.

Uh... its come to my keen eye that, after adding up Chris W.'s score (noticing that he got slammed by Andrew even worse than I did), his score should be 22.4 and not 22.9

Which would mean that my score is actually better than his by a few points. Unless his scores were misposted, of course.

I feel like a nitpicky sore loser, but...
    Master of Electricity

Warlock for Life-Mediev Cool Trainer
    Cool Trainer

You see...this is why I'm in college...no basic math skills ^_^..I'll edit the post, thanx for catching that dude, and congrats.
    Boo Yah!

Riken | Oryx | Njord | Wraith | Blysse | Zoso
    Kabuki | Poe | Faul | Cruz | Haku | Surtr
    Trilless | Maladroit | Argonaut | Eowen | Gaia | Chocobo
    Penelo | Thor | Nereus
    Sylar | Mercutio

Thanks River, you RaWk with a passion...Word.

Master Trainer
    Master Trainer

Elec Man has gone to the semi-finals. Sorry Chris W.

Show-Off
    Contest fic
    *Chapter 37 up*

Hahahah?

Nooooooo!!!! ;_; I was dropped out of the game!

Ah...whatever. Congrats to your four in the semi-finals! =D

-Chris R.
    AYE ESS BEE

Shamshir/Wario/Joann/Mr. Larpus/Giant Enemy Crab (Xanthius)
    Meliadoul/Shizuka/Roy/Pit/Taina
    Celice/Anita/Asmodeus/Ferdinand
    Elekid

Work It Harder Make It Better
    Do It Faster, Makes Us stronger
    More Than Ever Hour After
    Our Work Is Never Over